Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Thanks I was going off the example Marcelo posted as a bonus. Tank nothing I post serious except photos and screenshots.
Yeah I know

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Exactly. I hope they don’t keep it this way too long. I have to wonder what’s the max With a 2CA upload device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Upload CA would be around 18 Mbps. 9 per carrier. 64qam would make it even faster.

3 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

Honestly what sort of uploads are you doing that this (7.65 mbps) wouldn't take care of (and relatively quickly,  at that)?

It's not the 7.65 Mbps that personally bothers me.

What bothers me is that Config 2 completely kills the upload in fringe areas. There are parts were I used to have at least 1 Mbps upload with a weak signal, but now it struggles to even break 0.2 Mbps. Sure, the added download speed is nice, but it wasn't needed. B41 doesn't have much congestion in my area. It's very hard to find a place where download speeds were slower than 10 Mbps before the change.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2017 at 12:32 AM, lilotimz said:

Most sites from every carrier uses battery backup units. Fuel based backup generator are on the whole fairly rare and location dependent as there is steadily increasing upkeep cost as the equipment ages. In most circumstances battery powered backup units would suffice with minimal upkeep costs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Welp..power is back and the site is only broadcasting LTE now.  EVDO and voice did not come back online for some reason.  Any call I try when connected to Sprint LTE has the phone fall back to USCC 1x for the call.  Also, if i receive a text while connected to LTE on this site, the phone kicks over to USCC 1x to get the text.  Very weird.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

Honestly what sort of uploads are you doing that this (7.65 mbps) wouldn't take care of (and relatively quickly,  at that)?

The problem is that's the max upload. There's times when I see speedtests with 10Mb/s down and 100Kb/s up. 

Possible silly question here. I know this has been discussed but maybe we need to talk about it again.

Talking about Band 41, slow upload.    Is it possible that some other lower frequency could be used somehow for upload? Leave band 41 configured as it is, but somehow have a completely different upload channel. If you were not having success with uploading on band 41, the second channel would carry the upload. Or something that would aggregate with the current B-41 upload. 

Can a phone transmit on one frequency for upload and another one for download?    Didn't we discuss uploading on 1900 and downloading on 2500?   Is that not possible?  

Do we know if any foreign cell companies that use band 41are trying anything like I mentioned?

I am seeing live feeds to TV networks from sudden hot news spots that break up at times.  I was not sure if they are using wi-fi or cell networks, but they sure are not using the expensive satellite trucks.

1 hour ago, chamb said:

Possible silly question here. I know this has been discussed but maybe we need to talk about it again.

Talking about Band 41, slow upload.    Is it possible that some other lower frequency could be used somehow for upload? Leave band 41 configured as it is, but somehow have a completely different upload channel. If you were not having success with uploading on band 41, the second channel would carry the upload. Or something that would aggregate with the current B-41 upload. 

Can a phone transmit on one frequency for upload and another one for download?    Didn't we discuss uploading on 1900 and downloading on 2500?   Is that not possible?  

Do we know if any foreign cell companies that use band 41are trying anything like I mentioned?

I am seeing live feeds to TV networks from sudden hot news spots that break up at times.  I was not sure if they are using wi-fi or cell networks, but they sure are not using the expensive satellite trucks.

I am not sure if upload CA is released and in the field yet. There was also the possibility of using Band 25 for the upload.

2 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

I am not sure if upload CA is released and in the field yet. There was also the possibility of using Band 25 for the upload.

Didn't somebody say that band 25  upload was not going to be aggregated with band 41.  I thoughtful that was stated here somewhere, But I can not find it. 

1 hour ago, chamb said:

Didn't somebody say that band 25  upload was not going to be aggregated with band 41.  I thoughtful that was stated here somewhere, But I can not find it. 

This article is from a couple years ago: http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-to-bring-carrier-aggregation-to-all-its-lte-bands-bid-to-boost-performance

Not sure if this is still the case....

"Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure said implementing carrier aggregation across all Sprint spectrum bands means Sprint eventually will be able to deploy 1900 MHz FDD-LTE for uplink and 2.5 GHz TD-LTE for downlink, and ultimately improve the coverage of 2.5 GHz LTE to levels that its 1900 MHz spectrum currently achieves. Carrier aggregation, which is the most well-known and widely used technique of the LTE Advanced standard, bonds together disparate bands of spectrum to create wider channels and produce more capacity and faster speeds."

This article is from a couple years ago: http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-to-bring-carrier-aggregation-to-all-its-lte-bands-bid-to-boost-performance
Not sure if this is still the case....
"Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure said implementing carrier aggregation across all Sprint spectrum bands means Sprint eventually will be able to deploy 1900 MHz FDD-LTE for uplink and 2.5 GHz TD-LTE for downlink, and ultimately improve the coverage of 2.5 GHz LTE to levels that its 1900 MHz spectrum currently achieves. Carrier aggregation, which is the most well-known and widely used technique of the LTE Advanced standard, bonds together disparate bands of spectrum to create wider channels and produce more capacity and faster speeds."
Carrier aggregation between 25/41 is still plan. Even including B26 in Carrier aggregation is also planned.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Carrier aggregation between 25/41 is still plan. Even including B26 in Carrier aggregation is also planned.

If it still is going to happen, that is GREAT.  That will make B-41 usable for me in quite a few spots.   I think it was mentioned that they might just try to use HPUE and not 25/41 upload aggregation.  Maybe that was just a thought or maybe I am imagining that I saw it.

If Sprint actually does the network additions, undoubtedly it'll be great for Sprint, and I'd love to see Sprint succeed with it. Out of all the carriers, one of the things I've really liked about Sprint was going back to when they were promoting Sprint Spark as three bands, nationwide. It was very telling and great for consumers because here it was Sprint basically saying, "This is our network, across the country", information that was easy for any customer to find out. Whereas other carriers are a mishmash of different spectrum that can vary in different areas, not speaking of spectrum amounts, but variable bands.

Sprint however, despite my objection where areas in the country can have different amounts of spectrum, something I really want carriers to remedy for more even amounts across the country, other than say the act of categorizing population size in areas then assigning spectrum appropriately though still ending the disproportionate nature of spectrum amounts that exist currently, I'm glad that at least Sprint has taken an effort on being more streamlined with the spectrum they have. Certainly they need to deploy it, but also densify to the point the spectrum is fully accessible/usable.

The only problem in Sprint doing this, as I've been saying, isn't so much Sprint's fault but that of Softbank, which really should be helping to fund this, yet they'd rather chase after a merger. Not to say I don't understand this, I do to a degree, but only if its another wireless company with existing infrastructure and spectrum. So unless Charter still is in this with Comcast, where there is a chance at integrating a Verizon merger someday, Softbank might as well accept the deal offer DT made for them, or else be ready to really spend on growing Sprint's network.

5 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Yup, it did.

Coincidence?

Still a bummer with the "future expansion" route 99 in Pennsylvania (was route 15) still not getting any, very disappointed. You get roaming from basically ny/pa border to just north of Williamsport, PA. :( A side note to that stretch of route 99, T-mobile used to be roaming there too but finally got native coverage there just this year).

14 minutes ago, joshnys8913 said:

Still a bummer with the "future expansion" route 99 in Pennsylvania (was route 15) still not getting any, very disappointed. You get roaming from basically ny/pa border to just north of Williamsport, PA. :( A side note to that stretch of route 99, T-mobile used to be roaming there too but finally got native coverage there just this year).

You do realize that road is in a part of the state where there is less than 50 people per square mile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joshnys8913 said:

This is where Sprint’s partnership with Gilat may come to play

• Like 2

On 11/5/2017 at 7:59 AM, Arysyn said:
The only problem in Sprint doing this, as I've been saying, isn't so much Sprint's fault but that of Softbank, which really should be helping to fund this, yet they'd rather chase after a merger. Not to say I don't understand this, I do to a degree, but only if its another wireless company with existing infrastructure and spectrum. So unless Charter still is in this with Comcast, where there is a chance at integrating a Verizon merger someday, Softbank might as well accept the deal offer DT made for them, or else be ready to really spend on growing Sprint's network.

In many of your post you continue to state that Softbank needs to do more and fund these things for Sprint. It has been mentioned by many others that Softbank can't fund, hand money to, or pay off Sprint's debt. The acquisition of Sprint was structured in a way to make Sprint recover itself.

It has also become clear that if Son wanted out of Sprint he would have just accepted an offer and washed his hands of it. Son wants to turn Sprint around quickly and to do this a merge with another company where he has a controlling interest is the best option.

I will agree that some of the partners that Softbank and Sprint are talking to aren't the best, I am willing to see what comes from them. If any merger allows the debt to be moved over more subscribers it will help free up capital for growth.

Time will tell if anything comes of these talks. I for one hope Sprint focuses on network improvements while they wait.

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Wow! That is pretty awesome! And exactly what I was hoping for! Cable company partnership. Didn't even think Altice was in the conversation. Altice (cablevision\optimum fame) has a pretty great track record.

This is pretty epic.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ITK79 said:

In many of your post you continue to state that Softbank needs to do more and fund these things for Sprint. It has been mentioned by many others that Softbank can't fund, hand money to, or pay off Sprint's debt. The acquisition of Sprint was structured in a way to make Sprint recover itself.

It has also become clear that if Son wanted out of Sprint he would have just accepted an offer and washed his hands of it. Son wants to turn Sprint around quickly and to do this a merge with another company where he has a controlling interest is the best option.

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

I've seen alot of speculation online regarding excuses and reasons why Softbank hasn't funded Sprint, such as what you've said here, along with people stating Softbank's Insurance won't allow it, the stockholders won't allow it, the banks Softbank does business with/has accounts in won't allow it, and many other things. So if Son is intent on having things turn around for Sprint regarding the network, he sure made things difficult by not ensuring his company could fund Sprint and get Sprint improved quickly.

Surely, Sprint's financials have improved do what over the years due to the work of employees at Sprint (not Softbank), yet from what I've read online, Sprint still is in debt. However, it has been announced by Sprint (again, not Softbank) that a bunch of network spending finally is planned to happen. This is great news if it happens, and being that this is news coming from Sprint itself, I do have some faith it might happen, which again if it does and band 41 begins to work really well as I've experienced in a town near to where I reside (Schaumburg, Illinois), Sprint will have a great opportunity to really thrive.

Still, besides my bit of hope, I remain highly skeptical, and not because of anything from Sprint necessarily, but the fact I've seen such little support from Softbank where I believe this may even impact Sprint's ability to do this. Back when Dan Hesse was still in charge under Softbank after the deal occurred with Softbank, there were some big projects planned for Sprint's network that never ended up happening. I'm not sure the exact reason why this was, but if it had to do with Sprint's finances as I've heard, then surely Softbank ought to have funded it to keep Sprint's network growing so to avoid all the customer losses that has occurred since T-Mobile launched Uncarrier.

FYI, I'm a bit of a Dan Hesse defender, as I don't believe he was so bad of an executive at Sprint that some people claim he is. For Sprint's problems, I blame those who were there before him, just as much or greater than I blame Softbank for not helping Sprint. Yet despite the issues associated with Network Vision, at least it happened and Dan Hesse kept Sprint stable. Without NV, Sprint would be really bad right now. Same goes if Sprint didn't have band 41. Now I'm not sure if these network projects planned still would have gone through if Dan Hesse stayed at Sprint, but I believe he would have tried, whereas Marcelo seems to be the type to go along with Softbank, which this focus on monetary stability at the cost of less network development has in turn helped propel T-Mobile's siphoning away at Sprint's customers.

I'll stop for now before this post gets too long. But to add quickly, I'm not saying acting fiscally conservative necessarily is a bad thing, and Sprint certainly needed some of this, but not at the cost of the network.

3 hours ago, Flompholph said:

You do realize that road is in a part of the state where there is less than 50 people per square mile. 

Yes I know this very well, HOWEVER is a quite heavily traveled route maybe not as much as 81 or 79 but still is a fairly used route for many. I was just making a statement that it is a bummer that its still roaming through there is all. A place that the old nextel sites could have come to use.

Wow! That is pretty awesome! And exactly what I was hoping for! Cable company partnership. Didn't even think Altice was in the conversation. Altice (cablevision\optimum fame) has a pretty great track record.
This is pretty epic.

Wow and this is probably why Sprint said they will go forward as a standalone. They get to use Sprints network in exchange they help beef up the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

TOKYO – SoftBank Group Corp. (“SBG”) announced today that it intends to increase its stake in Sprint Corporation (“Sprint”) through open market transactions or otherwise, subject to market conditions and other factors. SBG does not intend to increase its ownership of Sprint outstanding common stock to 85% or more as a result of these purchases.

Masayoshi Son, Chairman & CEO of SBG and Chairman of Sprint, said, “We are entering an era where billions of new connected devices and sensors will come online throughout the United States. Continuing to own a world class mobile network is central to our vision of ubiquitous connectivity. Sprint is a critical part of our plan to ensure that we can deliver our vision to American consumers and we are very confident in its future.”

On November 4, 2017, Sprint (NYSE: S) announced that discussions regarding a potential merger with T-Mobile (NASDAQ: TMUS) have ended without an agreement being reached.

https://www.softbank.jp/en/corp/news/press/sb/2017/20171106_01/?linkId=44351122

• Like 3