Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

heck of a storm in new england last night.  power is out for thousands.  "My" 3 primary towers that cover about 5 or 6 towns all died within a few hours of losing power in each of their respective areas.  Problem I have found is that sprint simply does not bother to keep up with their generators at cell sites around here.  I suppose someone did the math and the number of subs is not really worth trucking fuel out to the sites.
The newly rolled out USCC native LTE coverage is coming in very handy and their sites remain up and functioning fine.  Verizon appears okay and while AT&T is up, they appear to be having data issues depending on the site connected to.
Sprint uses battery backup cabinets the majority of the time. They're rated for a few hours. The other carriers likely had a fuel based backup generator which lasts longer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lilotimz said:

Sprint uses battery backup cabinets the majority of the time. They're rated for a few hours. The other carriers likely had a fuel based backup generator which lasts longer.

Are they usually on top of battery maintenance?  Seems like a lot more of a headache.  Hopefully they handle them better than the cable companies do.

5 minutes ago, swintec said:

heck of a storm in new england last night.  power is out for thousands.

Luckily power didn't go out for me but it took out my internet for most of the day. It didn't come back until around 5:50 this afternoon.

Why doesn't Sprint invest in generators at their site's? Seems other carriers have generators which can be online for hours.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Why doesn't Sprint invest in generators at their site's? Seems other carriers have generators which can be online for hours.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Most sites from every carrier uses battery backup units. Fuel based backup generator are on the whole fairly rare and location dependent as there is steadily increasing upkeep cost as the equipment ages. In most circumstances battery powered backup units would suffice with minimal upkeep costs.

30 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Most sites from every carrier uses battery backup units. Fuel based backup generator are on the whole fairly rare and location dependent as there is steadily increasing upkeep cost as the equipment ages. In most circumstances battery powered backup units would suffice with minimal upkeep costs.

Verizon's sites are probably 85-90% generator backed up. You get what you pay for.

11 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Verizon's sites are probably 85-90% generator backed up. You get what you pay for.

Considering my observations, it's definitely not 80-90% generator backup at least on the west coast. It may be for your area but out here a large portion of their sites are on battery backup units. 

• Like 1

Just saw this, and in case you guys are wondering, all 3 of sprints lte bands are in it. 

Unless I missed something I didn't see Band 25 listed. Only 26/41

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Unless I missed something I didn't see Band 25 listed. Only 26/41

Yes seeing that now to, but with  band 26, and band 41 you can still bring it on sprint. 

With Band 2 will it be able to connect to Sprint's Band 25?

Only if Sprint did MFBI to broadcast B2 which can only happen on blocks A-F. Their G Block it can not. 

• Like 1

That’s config 2 for you. 

Exactly. I hope they don’t keep it this way too long. I have to wonder what’s the max With a 2CA upload device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, derrph said:

Exactly. I hope they don’t keep it this way too long. I have to wonder what’s the max With a 2CA upload device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what it will be going forward. This is how Gigabit speeds happen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JonnygATL said:

Honestly what sort of uploads are you doing that this (7.65 mbps) wouldn't take care of (and relatively quickly,  at that)?

Someone might be thinking of uploading 4k video clips, which is a waste of time. 

• Like 1

I always wonder what people are doing on their mobile connection that say that an upload over 5mb/s is not fast enough.  The pictured upload is faster than my real world speed tests on my home internet connection rated at 75mb/s down and 8mb/s up.  Any time my mobile connection is faster than my home internet, it is perfectly fine with me. 

Extremely fast upload is for hosting servers or uploading very large files.  Neither of those are what mobile connections are designed for.  That upload speed should do everything you want to do on a mobile connection quite quickly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, radem said:

I always wonder what people are doing on their mobile connection that say that an upload over 5mb/s is not fast enough.  The pictured upload is faster than my real world speed tests on my home internet connection rated at 75mb/s down and 8mb/s up.  Any time my mobile connection is faster than my home internet, it is perfectly fine with me. 

Extremely fast upload is for hosting servers or uploading very large files.  Neither of those are what mobile connections are designed for.  That upload speed should do everything you want to do on a mobile connection quite quickly.

My point exactly.

15 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

Someone might be thinking of uploading 4k video clips, which is a waste of time. 

14 minutes ago, radem said:

For most users, the upload speeds are fine. For my job however, robust upload speeds are needed. TV stations are increasingly moving away from expensive microwave and satellite live trucks toward the much cheaper mobile backpacks (whether this is a good thing or not is another conversation). These backpacks rely on the mobile networks to stream/upload the full HD video back to the studio. Weak or congested upload channels make this very difficult. 

• Like 2

I have several locations that upload multiple video feeds over LTE. This is a requirement for us to operate securely.

This will also soon be a requirement of law enforcement operations as live video and body cams come online; many will begin to feed into cloud storage as more accountability is demanded. LTE as a public safety standard is coming with AT&T and the first responder network deal, this will have folks using video and picture response as e911 evolves. Many suburban locations unserved use this as failover or load balanced connections to stay connected. This will connect many more people as LTE pricing stays down and unlimited is a trend.

Having a strong uplink is a very valuable connection. So valuable to Sprint, they spent sweat and treasure coming up with HPUE on 2.5GHz in league with the Chinese and many other providers and vendors. 

I am not knocking the speed test, that is a magnificent speed. These are simply examples of strong upload needs many are dismissing; if the 2xCA upload device I plan to win in the giveaway brings me to 15Mb p/s that sure would be sweet with three and a third down.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have several locations that upload multiple video feeds over LTE. This is a requirement for us to operate securely.

This will also soon be a requirement of law enforcement operations as live video and body cams come online; many will begin to feed into cloud storage as more accountability is demanded. LTE as a public safety standard is coming with AT&T and the first responder network deal, this will have folks using video and picture response as e911 evolves. Many suburban locations unserved use this as failover or load balanced connections to stay connected. This will connect many more people as LTE pricing stays down and unlimited is a trend.

Having a strong uplink is a very valuable connection. So valuable to Sprint, they spent sweat and treasure coming up with HPUE on 2.5GHz in league with the Chinese and many other providers and vendors. 

I am not knocking the speed test, that is a magnificent speed. These are simply examples of strong upload needs many are dismissing; if the 2xCA upload device I plan to win in the giveaway brings me to 15Mb p/s that sure would be sweet with three and a third down.
The theoretical upload on 2xca would be 18 Mbps as band 41 is 9 Mbps per carrier. 64qam would also be nice to make it higher.

2 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

The theoretical upload on 2xca would be 18 Mbps as band 41 is 9 Mbps per carrier. 64qam would also be nice to make it higher.

Thanks I was going off the example Marcelo posted as a bonus. Take nothing I post serious except photos and screenshots.