Jump to content
joshuam

Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, nexgencpu said:

Agree to disagree.

We shall see in a few years how "well" this all plays out.

If history is any indication, it won't play well. One doesn't even have to look too far, just look at what happened to Sprint and Nextel. Got bigger, but the service and everything with it went to hell. Nextel went the way of the dodo. Sprint has slowly gotten better but is still in too much debt. I feel that Sprint will soon join Nextel in the afterlife due to blunders and mergers that should not have happened. At least that's the way I see it. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

They did invest in the network. 

2014- Zero investment on network

2016- Minor investment on networks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SprintNYC said:

2014- Zero investment on network

2016- Minor investment on networks

If memory serves, 5 billion of the 22 billion ended up being a capital investment in the business itself.  The Japanese did invest into the network. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is what

1 minute ago, utiz4321 said:

If memory serves, 5 billion of the 22 billion ended up being a capital investment in the business itself.  The Japanese did invest into the network. 

That is what a wireless carrier spend in a year. Sprint was spending closely the same amount before the merger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SprintNYC said:

That is what

That is what a wireless carrier spend in a year. Sprint was spending closely the same amount before the merger. 

Yes, but that is an extra 5 billion in addition to what sprint was spending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But Verizon and At&T were investing $7-9 Billion on their networks, which, arguments aside, are/were in much better shape than Sprints weak neglected network...    If memory serves, wasn't Sprint's capital outlay was 1-2 billion the last 2 years?    Now we are at about $5 Bill'n in investment.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't that dependent on how long the battery holds up to keep that unit up in the air?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, twospirits said:

Isn't that dependent on how long the battery holds up to keep that unit up in the air?

It's tethered which means power cable attached

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, twospirits said:

Isn't that dependent on how long the battery holds up to keep that unit up in the air?

I assume the plan is that a new flying micro cell would be launched into the air before the old flying micro cell depleted its batteries.  Then the old flying micro cell one would be flown down to a manned charging station, where its batteries would be exchanged with fully charged ones.

The manned charging station could be located at a COW (Cell on Wheels) site that was providing coverage from one side of the event and providing the bandwidth for the flying micro cell.  Think of how nice the coverage would be with COWs surrounding a large event with flying micro cells providing coverage in the middle from above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twospirits said:

Isn't that dependent on how long the battery holds up to keep that unit up in the air?

 

24 minutes ago, radem said:

I assume the plan is that a new flying micro cell would be launched into the air before the old flying micro cell depleted its batteries.  Then the old flying micro cell one would be flown down to a manned charging station, where its batteries would be exchanged with fully charged ones.

The manned charging station could be located at a COW (Cell on Wheels) site that was providing coverage from one side of the event and providing the bandwidth for the flying micro cell.  Think of how nice the coverage would be with COWs surrounding a large event with flying micro cells providing coverage in the middle from above.

Nope, the press release states it is tethered and able to stay up in the air for days on end. Pretty cool stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think that tethering it would significantly limit where it could fly.  No one is going to allow a tethered vehicle to fly above a stadium as an example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, radem said:

I would think that tethering it would significantly limit where it could fly.  No one is going to allow a tethered vehicle to fly above a stadium as an example.

Doesn't seem like it's an in-stadium solution. Stadiums are instead getting upgraded DAS. This will likely be used in the parking lot of stadiums, at outdoor concerts, large spontaneous or planned gatherings of people like protests or "Pokemon Go" get togethers, and as stated in the video for disaster relief operations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2017 at 6:59 PM, swintec said:

i saw the same today with SCP but it is a display bug of cached data i believe.  during this behavior, if you completely exit the SCP app and then reopen it you will see it now shows USCC correctly.

 

On 9/19/2017 at 7:03 PM, MarshieZballer said:

Hmmm, that would make sense then. I won't be going back that way for awhile, but I'll try and at least go to Waupaca here soon to see if I can recreate this and get some screenshots. I'm still at 0 for roaming data as of today!!

So... after 8 months of 70-90 hour work weeks with my internship and not getting a real vacation for many years, I get to go on one this week for my birthday.

On the way I've been trying to track those roaming signals. I was on US Cellular quite a bit and Cellcom here and there... STILL have 0 for roaming. I will see what happens once I get home, but LTE roaming - and just data roaming in general - has been solid.

I'll upload screenshots once I get back and keep you updated, but so far this has been awesome!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MarshieZballer said:

 

STILL have 0 for roaming.

same here.  although ive had like half a megabyte get added to my roaming totals for some reason.  dont know if it was a quick jump onto verizon at some point or something but ive done like 2 gigs this month in testing and nothings been tracked.  i dont like to push it so i will probably lay off for a bit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, swintec said:

same here.  although ive had like half a megabyte get added to my roaming totals for some reason.  dont know if it was a quick jump onto verizon at some point or something but ive done like 2 gigs this month in testing and nothings been tracked.  i dont like to push it so i will probably lay off for a bit.

That's what I'm scared of. Since I actually still will need to be able to roam, I don't want to test my luck. But it looks promising thus far!

I've yet to ever roam on Verizon as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarshieZballer said:

 

So... after 8 months of 70-90 hour work weeks with my internship and not getting a real vacation for many years, I get to go on one this week for my birthday.

On the way I've been trying to track those roaming signals. I was on US Cellular quite a bit and Cellcom here and there... STILL have 0 for roaming. I will see what happens once I get home, but LTE roaming - and just data roaming in general - has been solid.

I'll upload screenshots once I get back and keep you updated, but so far this has been awesome!

I may be wrong but I think it may sometimes take a day or 2 to tally up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is beginning to sound really promising. I’ll see if I can drive out into US Cellular territory in the coming weeks and duplicate your experiences!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, radem said:

I would think that tethering it would significantly limit where it could fly.  No one is going to allow a tethered vehicle to fly above a stadium as an example.

The Blog Post says:

Last week in Midlothian, TX, located about 30 miles outside of Dallas, we began testing Sprint Magic Box as an aerial small cell solution to add to our extended network toolbox. This aerial small cell is designed to be a rapidly deployable, cost-effective solution capable of extending our 2.5 GHz data service initially up to 10 square miles. Because of Sprint’s 2.5 GHz spectrum advantage it is possible to wirelessly connect the flying small cell to a neighboring base station on one channel (in this case 6 miles away) and use another channel to provide coverage for customers.

Based on this, it doesn’t look like it has to be above the stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm down in baton rouge for a wedding, no B41 that I have seen only B25/B26 decent and usable haven't found a 3G spot yet but I'm sure I will Sprint doesn't do well down here from what I heard. Guess we'll see, I'll be going out into the sticks in a few might be roaming lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Hmm down in baton rouge for a wedding, no B41 that I have seen only B25/B26 decent and usable haven't found a 3G spot yet but I'm sure I will Sprint doesn't do well down here from what I heard. Guess we'll see, I'll be going out into the sticks in a few might be roaming lol.

Just a heads up, there is no data roaming in major metro areas and the counties that form it's MSA. CDMA data roaming on Verizon is just about dead and it's only used for voice now. AT&T LTE works, but once you cross certain county lines, you're SOL. Also, certain services/sites are blocked by Sprint (mostly videos).

Sprint should update it's data maps to better reflect the new LTE roaming agreement with At&t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

Sprint should update it's data maps to better reflect the new LTE roaming agreement with At&t.

Yeah. I caught word that there is a big update coming to the coverage map this October so fingers crossed ??. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

Just a heads up, there is no data roaming in major metro areas and the counties that form it's MSA. CDMA data roaming on Verizon is just about dead and it's only used for voice now. AT&T LTE works, but once you cross certain county lines, you're SOL. Also, certain services/sites are blocked by Sprint (mostly videos).

Sprint should update it's data maps to better reflect the new LTE roaming agreement with At&t.

Yeah I heard about that, so far so good though no roaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×