Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Nice speeds but can someone tell me why Sprint has not enabled 4x4 MIMO b25 yet? My friend at Tmobile was pulling 118 on a 10x10 B2 with his GS8. If Sprint just started the software update to the towers and devices wouldn't band 25 on even a 5x5 receive a nice boost as long as you have a good signal without them having to add spectrum or increase backhaul? It is working well for the other carriers. I think they underestimate what band 25 can do for the network at a much faster pace than b41.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

With CDMA/EVDO still in operation, it takes two antennas to be able to use 4x4 on B25. One for 3G one for LTE. Some sites in the KC market are running 4x2 on sites that have two dual-band antennas. Most sites are not yet set up like this.

Sent from my LG G5

With CDMA/EVDO still in operation, it takes two antennas to be able to use 4x4 on B25. One for 3G one for LTE. Some sites in the KC market are running 4x2 on sites that have two dual-band antennas. Most sites are not yet set up like this.

Sent from my LG G5

I thought Ericsson sites are set up to use 4x2 without extra panels thanks to the newer ruus they had to come back and install?

I thought Ericsson sites are set up to use 4x2 without extra panels thanks to the newer ruus they had to come back and install?

4x4 MIMO on LTE out of one Ericsson antenna/RRU is possible but it would have to be a single carrier and there could only be a maximum of 3 CDMA carriers running alongside it. Thus, it is not usually done.

• Like 1

Tower crews in my area have been deploying 4x MIMO 1900 and NSN Mini Macros aggressively here since the beginning of the year.  They usually have the 4X MIMO upgrade complete within two days if the weather permits.  I've noticed new 4X MIMO deployments have started to pop up in the Kingsport, TN area as of last week as well.  

Note, this picture was taken in February 2017  and has only 800/1900 LTE w/ 4X MIMO upgrade but has been touched with B41 as of two months ago.

• Like 2

If multiple CDMA/EVDO carriers are still in use, it still requires two antennas. The new RRUs allow for more carriers, CA, and wider channels. 

If multiple CDMA/EVDO carriers are still in use, it still requires two antennas. The new RRUs allow for more carriers, CA, and wider channels.

So in most cases Sprint will not focus on 4x4 MIMO b25 until cdma is sunset?

It may be possible if the site is running 1 CDMA carrier and 1 EVDO carrier. But otherwise, unless the site has 2 antennas (which has been more aggressively rolled out in Ericsson markets) it probably won't be a huge focus. 

*Tim has a better answer below*

Ericsson regions has plenty of 4x MIMO PCS sites live. The vast majority requires a second PCS radio set due to cdma and multiple lte carriers requirement as a single TX ex port maxes out on 4 carriers of any variety.

Only a few rare sites here and there in extreme low demand areas run 4x mimo and PCS off one antenna radio set.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ericsson regions has plenty of 4x MIMO PCS sites live. The vast majority requires a second PCS radio set due to cdma and multiple lte carriers requirement as a single TX ex port maxes out on 4 carriers of any variety.

Only a few rare sites here and there in extreme low demand areas run 4x mimo and PCS off one antenna radio set.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Are there any high capacity sites with it since they have 2 different base stations and 6 antenna already on it?

Are there any high capacity sites with it since they have 2 different base stations and 6 antenna already on it?

6 antenna sites have 4x4 MIMO on PCS LTE. 3 antenna sites very rarely have 4x4 MIMO.

If Comcast and Charter bites...

I suspect SoftBank will fully divest. And will move on TMO

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Are you saying that Son will split Sprint into two and give one to Comcast and the other to Charter to then go after T-Mobile. I thought his goal was to have both Sprint and T-Mobile as one big company. 

I don't think so. I think ATT is having success with the purchase of DTV and cable is looking to achieve some of the same kinds of benefits while sprint is looking for money to build out it's network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heads up... new thread alert: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7734-sprint-cable-company-deal/&do=findComment&comment=510808

• Like 3

Is it really necessary to be insulting? Especially to a moderator? 

David is a "real" meteorologist, and also happens to have acquired a huge amount of knowledge about Sprint and the wireless telecom world in general. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be more tolerant of your opinions and posts if you would donate to S4GRU and then take some time to actually learn from some of the very informative Sponsor posts. 

That's very kind of you tommy.

He's still an ignorant a-hole even if he donates.

• Like 3

That's very kind of you tommy.

He's still an ignorant a-hole even if he donates.

Guys, let us not discuss greenbastard in his absence.  He is not available currently to respond.  And, to be fair, he was a basic sponsor at an earlier time.

AJ

• Like 8

Pokemon Go is having an event in Chicago later this month for 20,000 people. Ticketed event.

Sprint, obviously, is a major sponsor.

Any word on them bringing in the COWS?

Would be highly embarrassing if the event fails because no one can connect. Conversely, would be good marketing if only Sprint customers have a good connection

• Like 2

Pokemon Go is having an event in Chicago later this month for 20,000 people. Ticketed event.

Sprint, obviously, is a major sponsor.

Any word on them bringing in the COWS?

Would be highly embarrassing if the event fails because no one can connect. Conversely, would be good marketing if only Sprint customers have a good connection

I hope Sprint is bringing a COW as well given the expected crowd.

You could Tweet at Jim Mills (President of the Illinois and Wisconsin Region) and ask him: https://twitter.com/jimmills22

There's also this Twitter Handle as well (Official handle for Sprint Illinois & Wisconsin region): https://twitter.com/Sprint4Chi

You can reach out to them via email to ask if Sprint plans to bring in a COW: Sprint4Chi@sprint.com

Lastly, you could Tweet at Marcelo and ask him: https://twitter.com/marceloclaure

Curious to hear what you find out!

• Like 3

Sprint has just extended its "1 Year of Free Service" Promotion, which was set to expire today, through July 30th.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree

What do you all think this means?

For customers to test drive their network for 1 yr for free. All while adding customers. Hoping that after the free trial those customers would stay. It's a bold move on Sprint's behalf. If I wasn't already a Sprint customer I would absolutely try the trial out.
  • Like 3

For customers to test drive their network for 1 yr for free. All while adding customers. Hoping that after the free trial those customers would stay. It's a bold move on Sprint's behalf. If I wasn't already a Sprint customer I would absolutely try the trial out.

It is, I'll be willing to bet, that for those who stick around longer than 3 months, are more than likely to stay with Sprint.

• Like 3

Sprint has just extended its "1 Year of Free Service" Promotion, which was set to expire today, through July 30th.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree

What do you all think this means?

Likely means it's working while saving money on acquisition costs.

I think the plan is genius... It's essentially the same as buying out a contract or paying customers to switch without actually having to spend any money.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 6

RadioShack creditors' lawsuit says Sprint killed 6,000 jobs

"Sprint Corp used confidential information from its alliance with RadioShack Corp to open competing mobile phone stores, dooming the comeback by the electronics retailer and destroying jobs, according to a lawsuit filed on Wednesday by RadioShack creditors."

Not sure how much merit this lawsuit has, but claiming $500 Million in damages is totally nuts.

• Like 5

"Sprint Corp used confidential information from its alliance with RadioShack Corp to open competing mobile phone stores, dooming the comeback by the electronics retailer and destroying jobs, according to a lawsuit filed on Wednesday by RadioShack creditors."

Not sure how much merit this lawsuit has, but claiming $500 Million in damages is totally nuts.

I don't get why the loss of 6000 jobs is the problem of the creditors.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I don't believe this lawsuit even makes sense. From the few Radio Shack stores I went to after the Sprint conversion, the Sprint representatives there were alot nicer and more helpful on their Sprint knowledge than many representatives I've spoken with at various corporate retail stores.

• Like 2

I don't believe this lawsuit even makes sense. From the few Radio Shack stores I went to after the Sprint conversion, the Sprint representatives there were alot nicer and more helpful on their Sprint knowledge than many representatives I've spoken with at various corporate retail stores.

That is because they were members of s4gru  :D

• Like 3