Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Oh that is great news!

I know the Nimby issue has been somewhat contentious in various discussions online, even here on S4GRU. My take on it, is more supportive of carrier rights than those of local municipalities, so long as it isn't being forced upon one's private property against their will. However, if a carrier wishes to lease or buy land, then they ought to be able to put whatever tower they want on it. Same goes with tower companies.

The only issue I'd have with this otherwise, are in communities where there is an active association, like a condominium or townhouse community, where the board gets to decide where to put the tower and collects money off of it, which they could place the tower completely against the will of a homeowner, possibly lowering their home's property values, while the remaining area stays unaffected.

Private property in a neighborhood without an association to determine the location and who it affects, is different. In these areas, the only regulation I think may be understandable is the degree away from someone's home, unless they are okay with it being closer. However, the determination of height, look, etc., should be completely up to the carrier or tower company.

I really don't see what the site is called mattering much. Just leave it as it is. IF any merger happens there will be lots to keep up on with the technical challenges and merging the two companies brands would take time. 

If it does occur I feel sorry for Marcello, I don't think he is a worse CEO but I think John has gotten better results, mostly due to better luck. However you are measured on your results and I doubt they would factor that luck in. Unless he chooses to take some money and run I would see him in charge. The good news is I think he would take a run at the #1 spot. Better coverage, speeds and maintaining the pricing as thats he vehicle for gaining market share. Don't pull profits out of the company, run it lean and grow it and collect the profits in the future.

My take on it, is more supportive of carrier rights than those of local municipalities, so long as it isn't being forced upon one's private property against their will. However, if a carrier wishes to lease or buy land, then they ought to be able to put whatever tower they want on it. Same goes with tower companies.

Federal government should butt out. Small cells and zoning laws are local government issues, not federal.

If Trump is as "conservative" as he claims he is (he isn't), then he should just stay out of it. If a homeowner has to follow zoning laws, then carriers should as well. Local utility companies don't get a pass, and neither should wireless carriers. Hide your panels and equipment if you want to do business there or just stay away.

• Like 1

I really don't see what the site is called mattering much. Just leave it as it is. IF any merger happens there will be lots to keep up on with the technical challenges and merging the two companies brands would take time. 

If it does occur I feel sorry for Marcello, I don't think he is a worse CEO but I think John has gotten better results, mostly due to better luck. However you are measured on your results and I doubt they would factor that luck in. Unless he chooses to take some money and run I would see him in charge. The good news is I think he would take a run at the #1 spot. Better coverage, speeds and maintaining the pricing as thats he vehicle for gaining market share. Don't pull profits out of the company, run it lean and grow it and collect the profits in the future.

He was named to the Softbank board, so even if his job at Sprint as CEO dissipates (or otherwise "goes away"), he will still be a controlling entity in the combined company and the parent company, Softbank. I don't think SB is looking to hand over the reigns...they want to have a stake in it...but they want it to be a T + S combination that they are controlling.

Whether DT will go all in for the Softbank offer, remains to be seen.

It appears there is plenty of speculation, but not much to base anything on just yet.

I wouldn't count Marcelo out just because a merger does take place....

• Like 2

If a homeowner has to follow zoning laws, then carriers should as well. Local utility companies don't get a pass, and neither should wireless carriers.

Most homeowners and local utilities are not interstate commercial enterprises.

AJ

• Like 1

Federal government should butt out. Small cells and zoning laws are local government issues, not federal.

If Trump is as "conservative" as he claims he is (he isn't), then he should just stay out of it. If a homeowner has to follow zoning laws, then carriers should as well. Local utility companies don't get a pass, and neither should wireless carriers. Hide your panels and equipment if you want to do business there or just stay away.

Thanks for the NIMBY's point of view. I just wish you'd be consistent and not complain about bad service. Also, zoning laws are the result of government actions. If trump was a conservative he would be advocating getting rid of zoning laws.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Most homeowners and local utilities are not interstate commercial enterprises.

AJ

McDonalds, Starbucks, and so many businesses conduct interstate commerce, yet they follow local zoning laws. Why can't National carriers?

Either follow local laws or don't do business there. Simple as that.

Thanks for the NIMBY's point of view. I just wish you'd be consistent and not complain about bad service. Also, zoning laws are the result of government actions. If trump was a conservative he would be advocating getting rid of zoning laws.

He's an advocate of eminent domain.

https://www.justice.gov/enrd/history-federal-use-eminent-domain

Perhaps that will play a role?

• Like 1

Thanks for the NIMBY's point of view.

Following zoning laws makes you a NIMBY?

I just wish you'd be consistent and not complain about bad service.

I've never complained about the service I've gotten from Verizon. They've managed to follow local zoning laws and have hidden their equipment very well. If Verizon can do it, so can Sprint. It's just a matter of spending the money to do so. Chalk it up to the cost of doing business. Don't want to spend the money, then don't do business in that area.

Also, zoning laws are the result of government actions. If trump was a conservative he would be advocating getting rid of zoning laws.

You're thinking Libertarian, not conservative. For the most part, the conservative movement is focused on yanking power away from Washington and handing it back to the state and local government.

What you're advocating for is a Libertarian principle.

McDonalds, Starbucks, and so many businesses conduct interstate commerce, yet they follow local zoning laws. Why can't National carriers?

Either follow local laws or don't do business there. Simple as that.

Freeways dont, airports don't. It is called infrastructure. In fact, your property rights dont even protect you in those cases. Look, I dont want to pay more for wireless service because of your sense of Aesthetics, I think that is fair. I dont find wireless towers ugly and I dont want to pay more or have cheap service because you do. And I definitely don't want to hear from people who drive up the costs of wireless service and deploying the network complain about their wireless service. If you want to know who is to blame, look in the mirror.

• Like 1

Greenbastard

Because vzw can do it doesnt mean sprint can do it too, the company face entirely different constraints and advantages. Verizon has over twice the customer base that Sprint does, they can eat the extra cost you impose. In any case, go FCC.

• Like 1

Marcelo handled that interview like he's going to be the one running things after a merger.

While my support is for His Majesty, Guenther Ottendorfer for CEO of the combined company ????, Marcelo is a much better choice than John Legere.

Freeways dont, airports don't. It is called infrastructure.

Except freeways and airports aren't in the middle of a neighborhood. Most small airports close to residential neighborhoods either don't have strict zoning laws or have been grandfathered.

Also, highways/airports and wireless is probably the worst comparison you could have chosen. I would have gone with power lines or fiber lines.

Look, I dont want to pay more for wireless service because of your sense of Aesthetics, I think that is fair.

When I build a house, I don't like that I have to build the house to a certain spec and look. It drives up costs. But I follow the rules because I choose to do business there.

Why should wireless carriers get a pass on buying permits and building up to code??? Because your YouTube won't load??? If local Jack and Jill have to build their house up to spec and maintain it a certain way, then so should wireless carriers.

I dont find wireless towers ugly

Don't care if you find them ugly or not. The important thing is that small cells/macro towers meet zoning laws. Verizon has and T-Mobile is soon going to as well. If those two carriers can do a good job of hiding their equipment, why can't Sprint or At&t?

And I definitely don't want to hear from people who drive up the costs of wireless service and deploying the network complain about their wireless service. If you want to know who is to blame, look in the mirror.

I'm not complaining about my service. Verizon has done an excellent job of adequately covering and providing enough bandwidth to most subdivisions with strict zoning laws.

Greenbastard

Because vzw can do it doesnt mean sprint can do it too, the company face entirely different constraints and advantages. Verizon has over twice the customer base that Sprint does, they can eat the extra cost you impose. In any case, go FCC.

Let's try to keep the argument to one response.

And your logic is flawed as T-Mobile is also doing a great job of hiding their small cells in light poles and fake pine trees.

So there goes your argument.

Let's try to keep the argument to one response.

And your logic is flawed as T-Mobile is also doing a great job of hiding their small cells in light poles and fake pine trees.

So there goes your argument.

No It doesn't. Ill try to make it simple, they aren't the same companies facing the same constraints. T mobile and sprint may have similar number of subs but look at their balance sheets and you'll quickly see different constraints. Nice try though. Bottom line I dont want to pay because you think something looks ugly.

• Like 1

The federal government does not issue many interstate hamburger or coffee licenses.

AJ

• Like 3

No It doesn't. Ill try to make it simple, they aren't the same companies facing the same constraints. T mobile and sprint may have similar number of subs but look at their balance sheets and you'll quickly see different constraints. Nice try though. Bottom line I dont want to pay because you think something looks ugly.

Are you serious? That is your counter argument??? That Sprint is broke and they should be given a pass because of that???

I just...I'm....speechless.

Don't blame local zoning laws for the bad management Sprint had. And please try to use better examples and well thought out arguments next time.

The federal government does not issue many interstate hamburger or coffee licenses.

AJ

Interstate commerce is interstate commerce, isn't it? As poorly defined by Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States.

But if you don't think some of those businesses don't deal with federal agencies, then you're also mistaking.

I'm not a supporter of extreme housing restrictions either. I can see the point of equal policy between carriers and housing restrictions, but I'm not much in favor of them, in general. If a person wants to build their house a certain way on their property, I say fine with that, so long as there is proper distance between houses in the build spec. The only real concern in building ought to be in space between other objects, not so much in height and space within, nor appearence.

Safety standards are important, of course, but even in some areas there is a bit of extremism in these regulations. Such as requiring people to have a certain amount of windows in their home and other restrictive design limitations. A cell tower doesn't have as much variety as housing design does, so I can understand why some people have less restrictive expectations for those than they do for housing, but the difference shouldn't be too different in fairness and favor more freedom for both homeowner, carrier, and tower company.

Are you serious? That is your counter argument??? That Sprint is broke and they should be given a pass because of that???

I just...I'm....speechless.

Don't blame local zoning laws for the bad management Sprint had. And please try to use better examples and well thought out arguments next time.

Hmmm.... You are not worth even talking to. I didn't blame sprint being broke on zoning laws, I simply pointed out that they face different constraints than T mobile. When you develop critical thinking skills I'll pay attention to your NIMBY complaints.

• Like 1