Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I would rather see Sprint worry about sites with No B41 then clearwire sites. The clear sites I've connected to preform just fine.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Sprint needs to get back to its Top Ten S*** List for sites and knock those out every day.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-how-to-fix-sprint/

"Shortly after arriving, Claure began daily meetings about Sprint’s worst-performing cell sites—what the network team called the Top 10 S--- List. With about 20 executives around a table or dialing in, Claure brought up each site responsible for large numbers of dropped calls and asked how it would be fixed within 24 hours."

"If a site was still on the list the next day, Claure would ask again: Should an antenna be tilted up or down or sideways, so it points toward more customers? Does Sprint need to add antennas, or use antennas with more bandwidth? “It was painful,” says John Saw, Sprint’s chief technology officer. “But it was good for getting the network fixed.”"

• Like 5

Sprint needs to get back to its Top Ten S*** List for sites and knock those out every day.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-how-to-fix-sprint/

"Shortly after arriving, Claure began daily meetings about Sprint’s worst-performing cell sites—what the network team called the Top 10 S--- List. With about 20 executives around a table or dialing in, Claure brought up each site responsible for large numbers of dropped calls and asked how it would be fixed within 24 hours."

"If a site was still on the list the next day, Claure would ask again: Should an antenna be tilted up or down or sideways, so it points toward more customers? Does Sprint need to add antennas, or use antennas with more bandwidth? “It was painful,” says John Saw, Sprint’s chief technology officer. “But it was good for getting the network fixed.”"

Sprint needs to let Dish buy them. Dish could help build it faster plus use their 700 MHz along with B26 for easier coverage.

• Like 1

I have a question. Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, or perhaps should go in the MagicBox thread or elsewhere, but its not specific to that.

I was reading the TmoNews website, when I noticed a banner advertisement for an "LTE router" device that looks alot different than the Magic Box and other similar devices I've seen. This looks more like a WiFi router. What exactly would this do, such as would it increase LTE signal, etc.?

https://accelerated.com/products/6350_sr_lte_router/?gclid=CKHAsI-eidQCFZeEaQod-OIPSw

It's a dual wan router with a built in cellular modem. Sprint had its own version but I can't remember the name. Essentially you can set it up a few ways with primary connection from Ethernet from your wired ISP and use cellular for back up in case of ISP outage or even for load balancing.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There is no such thing as "smooth handoff to 1x" as Sprint has discovered. There will be 0 fallback just like Verizon.  

Republic Wireless got WiFi to 1x down pretty damn good.  I think they were even had 1x to WiFi before transitioning to TMobile and their new call patching technique.

IIRC a second call would go through over the alternate technology and switch during the call.  Usually a small delay but way better then dropping the call outright. 

• Like 2

Republic Wireless got WiFi to 1x down pretty damn good. I think they were even had 1x to WiFi before transitioning to TMobile and their new call patching technique.

IIRC a second call would go through over the alternate technology and switch during the call. Usually a small delay but way better then dropping the call outright.

I think you're misunderstanding. They're saying VoLTE has no 1x fallback.

• Like 3

I think you're misunderstanding. They're saying VoLTE has no 1x fallback.

Oh yeah, I know that.  There is no hand off from VoLTE to 1x just like there was no hand off from WiFi to 1x or 1x to WiFi.  I'm just saying, Republic Wireless got WiFi to 1x and 1x to WiFi hand off working, and the method they used I'd imagine would be usable with VoLTE.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I know that. There is no hand off from VoLTE to 1x just like there was no hand off from WiFi to 1x or 1x to WiFi. I'm just saying, Republic Wireless got WiFi to 1x and 1x to WiFi hand off working, and the method they used I'd imagine would be usable with VoLTE.

No. Wifi to 1x was made possible by simultaneous transmission. That is not possible with LTE and 1x because phones only have one radio for LTE/1x.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised to see the lack of these between Sprint and T-Mobile lately. So now that T-Mobile is targeting Verizon, Sprint is targeting AT&T. I figured it would be the other way around, especially if T-Mobile had any interest in Dish, they'd be preparing more competition against Directv.

I think this is very telling, and we'll see where this leads...

• Like 1

I'm not surprised to see the lack of these between Sprint and T-Mobile lately. So now that T-Mobile is targeting Verizon, Sprint is targeting AT&T. I figured it would be the other way around, especially if T-Mobile had any interest in Dish, they'd be preparing more competition against Directv.

I think this is very telling, and we'll see where this leads...

Interesting theory. However, Sprint is still paying AT&T for Roaming....

• Like 2

Interesting theory. However, Sprint is still paying AT&T for Roaming....

I doubt AT&T will respond to the mention by Marcelo. AT&T in a way seems like an uncarrier in its own way of really not publicly addressing the competition, and its plans now have their own uniqueness to it.

I have to admit defeat on something though. I turned out to be very wrong thinking the other carriers would introduce a plan similar to AT&T's Unlimited Choice plan. I expected that at least Verizon would try to mimic it in some way. I also figured Verizon would raise its rates a little to match AT&T's.

It shows that the competitive landscape of AT&T and Verizon being the big two competitors has changed. If there is any sort of combination between Sprint and T-Mobile, it'll continue to change this, and be very interesting to watch.

• Like 1

Sprint needs to let Dish buy them. Dish could help build it faster plus use their 700 MHz along with B26 for easier coverage.

No, Lower 700 MHz D/E block unpaired spectrum is not useful for low band coverage.

AJ

• Like 2

My previous post already answered that question.  Unpaired spectrum.

AJ

RAvirani, on 25 May 2017 - 3:31 PM, said:

Why?

This is just a guess but I think it is because coverage is based on the uplink frequency which in this case will still be midband spectrum. Think HPUE where transmitting at a higher power is like simulating the transmit at a lower frequency which is how Sprint is touting that 2.5 GHz can propagate like 1.9 GHz. Having additional downlink spectrum helps with providing additional capacity but doesn't help with additional coverage. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

This is just a guess but I think it is because coverage is based on the uplink frequency which in this case will still be midband spectrum. Having additional downlink spectrum helps with providing additional capacity but doesn't help with additional coverage. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

D/e is u supplementary downlink only. It cannot be used as the primary band.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

D/e is u supplementary downlink only. It cannot be used as the primary band.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So is it kind of like att's B29? I don't know what any of this means. Edit: I know what downlink only means

I'd love for this to happen. While despite the fact I don't currently have Sprint, it doesn't mean that I don't like Sprint. I do like Sprint and I want them to succeed by deploying and densifying band 41 in areas of both moderate and major populations to the point where there is at least a 75 percent connection rate to band 41 if using Dish, 90% if on their own.

What I really don't like is Softbank. I think most people here understand that and I hope I'm believed on it. If it ever sounds like I'm talking against Sprint, I'm not intentionally trying to, its just my frustrations against Softbank for the most part. There are only three things I don't like relating to this, and its the austerity being a higher priority than Deployment and Densification, for which the merger potential is a part of, the spending on other things like Pokemon and Tidal, and the focus on increasing physical retail locations.

I believe if Dish were to buy Sprint, that would change, which would be great. Although my preference at this point is for DT to buy Sprint from Softbank, then buy Dish to merge in with Sprint/T-Mobile, which if any spectrum is divested, I believe it'll be the 800mhz spectrum. After that, the combined companies would be set on spectrum.

• Like 1

I'd love for this to happen. While despite the fact I don't currently have Sprint, it doesn't mean that I don't like Sprint. I do like Sprint and I want them to succeed by deploying and densifying band 41 in areas of both moderate and major populations to the point where there is at least a 75 percent connection rate to band 41 if using Dish, 90% if on their own.

What I really don't like is Softbank. I think most people here understand that and I hope I'm believed on it. If it ever sounds like I'm talking against Sprint, I'm not intentionally trying to, its just my frustrations against Softbank for the most part. There are only three things I don't like relating to this, and its the austerity being a higher priority than Deployment and Densification, for which the merger potential is a part of, the spending on other things like Pokemon and Tidal, and the focus on increasing physical retail locations.

I believe if Dish were to buy Sprint, that would change, which would be great. Although my preference at this point is for DT to buy Sprint from Softbank, then buy Dish to merge in with Sprint/T-Mobile, which if any spectrum is divested, I believe it'll be the 800mhz spectrum. After that, the combined companies would be set on spectrum.

It would be more than just 800mhz. They would have to hand over some pcs too and maybe a little 2500mhz.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

People, some of your posting behaviors in this thread and elsewhere are getting out of hand.

1. Stop posting your same long winded ideas over and over again.  We know your thoughts and wishes on these matters.  We got the point several hundred posts ago.
  2. Stop quoting posts unnecessarily.  If the post to which you are replying is the most recent in the thread, you need not quote at all.  If the post to which you are replying is a lengthy one, you need to edit down the quote, especially if you are going to offer a trivially short response.  I do not care if you are using Tapatalk and omitting or editing a quote is hard.  You need to do better.

Many of you need to up your posting game.  Or I will start removing offending posts.

AJ

• Like 12

It would be more than just 800mhz. They would have to hand over some pcs too and maybe a little 2500mhz.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I doubt they'd divest PCS and band 41. Sprint doesn't have enough PCS as it is, which a combination with T-Mobile would really help, especially in areas where they can combine the PCS spectrum for a wider band. Where they can't, I figure they would enter in negotiations with the other carriers for spectrum swapping arrangements. Whatever necessary to provide a minimum of 15x15 of PCS spectrum nationwide, and 20x20 in major markets. Perhaps if there are any additional PCS spectrum, they could divest that.

Perhaps their PCS spectrum allotments would best match up with their AWS-1 spectrum allotments in a way such as having either 15x15 PCS/20x20 AWS-1 or 20x20 PCS/15x15 AWS-1. I'd like it to be that way nationwide, and if any market has additional PCS and AWS-1 spectrum beyond that, the remaining spectrum can be used as a divestment, along with the 800mhz spectrum.

Again, no band 41 spectrum should be divested either. That is too important for the combined company. If just Sprint and T-Mobile were to merge, I doubt they'd need to divest more than that. However, if Dish got into the combination, there probably would be some divestment in their spectrum. Regarding that, I know Dish has AWS-3 and AWS-4 spectrum. I forgot exactly how much of each they have. If someone could tell me about that, I'd appreciate it.

My suggestion is Dish keep whichever is more nationwide spectrum, and I know they'd have to go back and repurchase the AWS-3 spectrum they gave up in the auction tax situation, in order to have nationwide AWS-3 spectrum. I'd also prefer that spectrum they keep be at least 15x15, if not 20x20. Also, Dish should keep the 600mhz spectrum to combine it with T-Mobile's 600mhz spectrum, for a nationwide minimum of 15x15. Any 600mhz spectrum beyond 20x20 can be divested, along with whichever mid-band spectrum (either AWS-3 or AWS-4) they have less of.

Doing this will give the combined company a minimum of 15x15 low-band, three 15x15 mid-band, and 120mhz of "beachfront" high-band spectrum. If they were to use half of band 41 for download, and half of band 41 for upload, the spectrum would basically be 120/120 minimum, an amount I think is very important to have. BTW, I apologize for the length of this post. Its the best I could do for this, atm.

People, some of your posting behaviors in this thread and elsewhere are getting out of hand.

• Stop posting your same long winded ideas over and over again. We know your thoughts and wishes on these matters. We got the point several hundred posts ago.
  • Stop quoting posts unnecessarily. If the post to which you are replying is the most recent in the thread, you need not quote at all. If the post to which you are replying is a lengthy one, you need to edit down the quote, especially if you are going to offer a trivially short response. I do not care if you are using Tapatalk and omitting or editing a quote is hard. You need to do better.
Many of you need to up your posting game. Or I will start removing offending posts.

AJ

Most of my posts are shorter than they use to be. I know that isn't always the case, and I ended up writing one a bit longer just a moment ago, but I'm trying.

I definitely agree about quotes. I know when there's an image or video in a quote I'm referring to in a post, I'll edit that out, while leaving the rest.

My previous post already answered that question. Unpaired spectrum.

AJ

I think we all knew it was unpaired spectrum. Going as far as to say that it's "not useful for lowband coverage", however, seems to be a bit of a stretch to me. It can be aggregated with other lowband holdings such as Sprint's B26 or T-Mobile's B12 to increase downlink speeds in areas where mid/highband don't reach. That's useful as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

It can be aggregated with other lowband holdings such as Sprint's B26 or T-Mobile's B12 to increase downlink speeds in areas where mid/highband don't reach.

No.  Band 29 may not be supplemental downlink carrier aggregated with band 26 or band 12.  And even if it were aggregated, the low band coverage would come from band 26 or band 12, not band 29.

AJ