Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Throttling seems to be real folks, even for grandfathered plans. I have seen this random throttling at random times of the day, no matter the tower or cell I am on. I doubt it is a backhauk issue as it has happened often in the past year. I'm on ED 1500 and I have not purchased a phone through Sprint since 2014 in case anyone is wondering.

Anyone holding on to an old plan because of true "unlimited" needs to take notice.

PnXgJ8cl.png

• Like 2

Throttling seems to be real folks, even for grandfathered plans. I have seen this random throttling at random times of the day, no matter the tower or cell I am on. I doubt it is a backhauk issue as it has happened often in the past year. I'm on ED 1500 and I have not purchased a phone through Sprint since 2014 in case anyone is wondering.

Anyone holding on to an old plan because of true "unlimited" needs to take notice.

PnXgJ8cl.png

Is this prior to or after deprioritization?

Back when I had Sprint, this was the range of speed I saw when connected to PCS, which occurred way before any deprioritization had kicked in. This is why I don't like Sprint's PCS band connection at all. Band 41 is much better.

Back when I had Sprint, this was the range of speed I saw when connected to PCS, which occurred way before any deprioritization had kicked in. This is why I don't like Sprint's PCS band connection at all. Band 41 is much better.

That's the point, I have no deprioritization (at least I shouldn't) as I am on a grandfathered unlimited plan.

I am currently sitting at 14.7 GB in the last stretch of my billing cycle. I will admit 14.7 GB is an anomaly as I average 5 GB a month (thanks a lot Comcast for going out during the NBA playoffs).

I will keep an eye on this as a small part of me still believes this can be an intermittent widespread network issue (backhaul). But it's happened too many times since the early fall of last year, so we shall see.

• Like 1

That's the point, I have no deprioritization (at least I shouldn't) as I am on a grandfathered unlimited plan.

I am currently sitting at 14.7 GB in the last stretch of my billing cycle. I will admit 14.7 GB is an anomaly as I average 5 GB a month (thanks a lot Comcast for going out during the NBA playoffs).

I will keep an eye on this as a small part of me still believes this can be an intermittent widespread network issue (backhaul). But it's happened too many times since the early fall of last year, so we shall see.

Perhaps Sprint has your account wrong in their system triggering this to happen when it shouldn't.

Hopefully whatever the case turns out to be can be resolved quickly for you. Those speeds are really bad.

Sprints pcs is only really bad in places where it's only 5x5.10x10 and, 15x15 it's pretty fast.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sprints pcs is only really bad in places where it's only 5x5.10x10 and, 15x15 it's pretty fast.

I expect it would be better at 15x15. However, I've heard the 10x10 isn't helping Sprint much over the 5x5.

This is a fault all wireless carriers have to some point. AT&T definitely is one of them too. I've read many reports of dwindling service speeds on AT&T, despite AT&T being in a great spectrum position. The problem though is that AT&T is a bunch of 10x10 chunks of spectrum, which is barely adequate for wireless usage in the high-speed technical society.

Of course I don't only blame carriers for this, as a bigger part to blame is the FCC with its awful auctioning system I've complained about many times whenever a discussion regarding spectrum limitations on speed is mentioned. This is why I vastly prefer a system where carriers have cheaper access to spectrum which all can afford to provide a seamless, high-quality wireless network system among all markets.

There ought to be a standard set of 20x20 in each band region for all carriers. The rest ought to be up to carriers' decisions how to build their networks, but at least they wouldn't have their spending for that limited because of having to pay billions of dollars over measly slivers of spectrum that limits customers data speeds, while increasing congestion due to slow access caused by this.

Of course I don't only blame carriers for this, as a bigger part to blame is the FCC with its awful auctioning system I've complained about many times whenever a discussion regarding spectrum limitations on speed is mentioned.

Spectrum not being paired is due to years and years of licenses being sold and changing hands on the PCS band. Back then, having paired spectrum wasn't as important as it is today.

The FCC cannot enforce speed. It can only enforce license owners to wither broadcast or surrender their licenses. Enforcing speeds is impossible.

• Like 1

I expect it would be better at 15x15. However, I've heard the 10x10 isn't helping Sprint much over the 5x5.

This is a fault all wireless carriers have to some point. AT&T definitely is one of them too. I've read many reports of dwindling service speeds on AT&T, despite AT&T being in a great spectrum position. The problem though is that AT&T is a bunch of 10x10 chunks of spectrum, which is barely adequate for wireless usage in the high-speed technical society.

Of course I don't only blame carriers for this, as a bigger part to blame is the FCC with its awful auctioning system I've complained about many times whenever a discussion regarding spectrum limitations on speed is mentioned. This is why I vastly prefer a system where carriers have cheaper access to spectrum which all can afford to provide a seamless, high-quality wireless network system among all markets.

There ought to be a standard set of 20x20 in each band region for all carriers. The rest ought to be up to carriers' decisions how to build their networks, but at least they wouldn't have their spending for that limited because of having to pay billions of dollars over measly slivers of spectrum that limits customers data speeds, while increasing congestion due to slow access caused by this.

Att has been wideing B2 PC's to 20x20 where they can since last summer. Only problem for Sprint is they don't have enough spectrum to do 20x20. My area att is 20x20 B2. 10x10 o on everything else accept B4 which is 5x5. Their are some areas Verzion will be able to do 2carriers on B5 as they hold 50 mhz of 850 MHz. NYC is att issue speed issue they don't have contiguous spectrum to do wideband. Not sure if swapping with Sprint is possible or not.

• Like 1

Att has been wideing B2 PC's to 20x20 where they can since last summer. Only problem for Sprint is they don't have enough spectrum to do 20x20. My area att is 20x20 B2. 10x10 o on everything else accept B4 which is 5x5. Their are some areas Verzion will be able to do 2carriers on B5 as they hold 50 mhz of 850 MHz. NYC is att issue speed issue they don't have contiguous spectrum to do wideband. Not sure if swapping with Sprint is possible or not.

Thank you for the information, Tengen31. I wasn't aware of AT&T doing that, but its good they are. I know that wireless carriers are actively trying to swap spectrum with each other, in order to provide themselves with the best, widest allocations of spectrum possible, considering what they have able to work with. I think this is a great thing for them to do, and hopefully it leads them with more 15x15 and 20x20 spectrum capacity.

I definitely do not want the FCC/government to regulate speeds or networks. I only want them to be more fair to the carriers regarding spectrum, so carriers would have more money to invest in their networks. Of course like many things in life, things aren't always pre-planned well enough for the future, hence what greenbastard mentioned is correct about the situation with wireless.Still, I'm of the mindset hoping people would think ahead more often about these things.

I'm a major supporter of a technological society though, and therefore think this way of all things, not just wireless.

Thank you for the information, Tengen31. I wasn't aware of AT&T doing that, but its good they are. I know that wireless carriers are actively trying to swap spectrum with each other, in order to provide themselves with the best, widest allocations of spectrum possible, considering what they have able to work with. I think this is a great thing for them to do, and hopefully it leads them with more 15x15 and 20x20 spectrum capacity.

I definitely do not want the FCC/government to regulate speeds or networks. I only want them to be more fair to the carriers regarding spectrum, so carriers would have more money to invest in their networks. Of course like many things in life, things aren't always pre-planned well enough for the future, hence what greenbastard mentioned is correct about the situation with wireless.Still, I'm of the mindset hoping people would think ahead more often about these things.

I'm a major supporter of a technological society though, and therefore think this way of all things, not just wireless.

The FCC does have to approve the swaps. There is no reason for them not to. They did with the first round year ago so this round they will to.

• Like 1

The FCC does have to approve the swaps. There is no reason for them not to. They did with the first round year ago so this round they will to.

Plus with the current pro-business FCC, these spectrum swaps should become easier. The best thing for the FCC to do, is to accept the swaps.

Att.0f3d7ce8ae9c1b3513ce6b6729419d65.jpg

• Like 1

Att.

Yep, there it is. Hopefully AT&T will get this widespread. Still, and I'm not saying I believe this is going to happen, but I think it would be great for the carriers all to have a meeting and overview the spectrum they have, and come up with a plan on a nationwide basis to form the best spectrum grouping among their markets. I realize the unlikelihood, due to their competitive standards, but its my view they ought to do this nonetheless. At least their spectrum swapping arrangements seem to be working well enough for now.

Throttling (or could be intermittent network issues) are gone now.

From I understand of how de-prioritization works, this is not a sign of it. To my understanding, de-prioritization would cause your ping to be extremely high, because users with less data usage during that billing cycle would get prioritized over you. But it would only happen on congested cell sites. You seem to of answered this for yourself, as it appears that this is a network issue rather than an instance of throttling.

-Anthony

From I understand of how de-prioritization works, this is not a sign of it. To my understanding, de-prioritization would cause your ping to be extremely high, because users with less data usage during that billing cycle would get prioritized over you. But it would only happen on congested cell sites. You seem to of answered this for yourself, as it appears that this is a network issue rather than an instance of throttling.

-Anthony

If this is an ongoing network issue, then it's been going on since September of 2016 (which speaks poorly of whoever manages the network locally). It happens on both Sprint sites and Clearwire sites.

I'm still leaning on this being network throttling/management. If this is a network issue, then I'm surprised Sprint has allowed this to linger for so long in a crucial top 10 market.

If this is an ongoing network issue, then it's been going on since September of 2016 (which speaks poorly of whoever manages the network locally). It happens on both Sprint sites and Clearwire sites.

I'm still leaning on this being network throttling/management. If this is a network issue, then I'm surprised Sprint has allowed this to linger for so long in a crucial top 10 market.

I'm not surprised at all. It's quite common of Sprint to let issues go on for literally years. If you complain enough about the area sometimes they do something and sometimes they don't. If the issues continue and you can't deal with it I would search for different service. For all the money you pay make sure the service works for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Has anyone received a call about the magic box yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, hear we should start hearing things soon...

I hope so too as well. Hopefully when they do start to call the requirements will not be too strict.

I hope so too as well. Hopefully when they do start to call the requirements will not be too strict.

I asked for one on the first or second day.  The web page indicated I would get a phone call.  So far, no call. I have B-41 outside my home, but not inside the home. All my nearby Neighbors have the same situation.

Has anyone received a call about the magic box yet?

I got the call Friday evening at 420pm. She said I was approved and it will be shipping in 8-12 weeks.

• Like 5

I got the call Tuesday evening. She said I was approved and it will be shipping in 8-12 weeks.

Nice! Was there any kind of questions that was asked to see if you were approved or not?

Nice! Was there any kind of questions that was asked to see if you were approved or not?

She wanted to make sure my address was correct. She also said it's free and if I'm not using it to send it back to Sprint. She also told me it only does 2500mhz. That's really about it. Oh and my email for tracking info.

• Like 1

She wanted to make sure my address was correct. She also said it's free and if I'm not using it to send it back to Sprint. She also told me it only does 2500mhz. That's really about it. Oh and my email for tracking info.

Sounds like they will be passing them out like candy

• Like 1