Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Thos 3 didn't rip and replace.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

What else would you call it then?

Even if you ignore T-Mobile's rural GMO sites, they've had to rip/replace their entire network (significantly larger footprint than Sprint's native network FYI)

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 1

Even if you ignore T-Mobile's rural GMO sites, they've had to rip/replace their entire network (significantly larger footprint than Sprint's native network FYI)

Let's no forget TMobile is only the way the are thanks to att. If that hadn't happened they would be on the same boat as Sprint. Att had to pay cash and no charge for T-Mobile to roam. Sprint hasn't had a failed buyout and, still pays for roaming.

• Like 1

TMobile only had to add LTE equipment then B12 equipment. They didn't have to replace radios or swap basestations.

• Like 1

Don't you guys get it? The Magic Box is about VoLTE! Sprint knows millions of its customers fall to unreliable LTE or CDMA when they cross into their homes. T-Mobile had the same issue when they deployed VoLTE. But Tmo VoLTE hands off to WCDMA voice. Sprint VoLTE will not be able to reliably hand off to CDMA.

This sounds great on paper, but I wonder how this will work in the real world.

To provide a truly ubiquitous VoLTE experience, Sprint would need to deploy these boxes in every neighborhood/suburb/etc. Is that going to be possible? 

TMobile only had to add LTE equipment then B12 equipment. They didn't have to replace radios or swap basestations.

Um... yes, they did. Go on Reddit. There's plenty of pictures of radio/base station swaps. 

Anyways, we're getting off topic. You're wrong. Sprint is not the only carrier who had to "rip and replace"

• Like 1

Looks like capex is the same this year as last year.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

CapEx for the network last year was $1.95 billion. Sprint is projecting they'll spend $3.5 to $4 billion over the 12 month period beginning last month. So no as of right now CapEx isn't the same. Sprint is expecting to spend nearly if not more than double what they spent on the network last year.

• Like 10

CapEx for the network last year was $1.95 billion. Sprint is projecting they'll spend $3.5 to $4 billion over the 12 month period beginning last month. So no as of right now CapEx isn't the same. Sprint is expecting to spend nearly if not more than double what they spent on the network last year.

With these new projections, we should see some shakes in the network this year. I think it's going to be a interesting year for Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With these new projections, we should see some shakes in the network this year. I think it's going to be a interesting year for Sprint.

I'm hearing a lot more funding is being approve now.

In my market there has been a lack of any deployment under than the mandatory Huawei replacement but within the last few months in seeing new 8t8r 2.5 permits to hit up the few remaining non 2.5 macro sites and even a gmo to full build conversion last month.

Things are happening.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 9

I'm hearing a lot more funding is being approve now.

In my market there has been a lack of any deployment under than the mandatory Huawei replacement but within the last few months in seeing new 8t8r 2.5 permits to hit up the few remaining non 2.5 macro sites and even a gmo to full build conversion last month.

Things are happening.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I like to see the network improve to where Sprint can stand on their own. Then if they ever get at least the same amount of square miles as everyone else and, VoLTE, then change their name since (Sprint) name comes with a bad History.

This bump definitely proves Sprint was hurting bad in 2016. I never bought the excuse of NV being done and cheap small cells as the reason behind the low capex.

Sprint has fallen way behind T-Mobile and Verizon when it comes to macro cell density. At&t has gotten by with their large swaths of low and mid band spectrum in my area. Unfortunately Sprint doesn't have that luxury and 2.5 GHz is going to need an extremely dense network just to achieve decent coverage.

The other carriers definitely didn't do a 100% rip and replace on every site in the country. They've all over time replaced most of everything but it's been done slowly and methodically in stages. The last major overhaul TMO did in my market was around 2008-9 for 3G, they replaced all the panels and I assume added base equipment for UMTS support. They didn't go around and take everything offline.

Verizon and AT&T obviously just added LTE equipment to their existing 2G/3G equipment, so LTE was all new. Now currently they're going through and replacing hardware for extra band support, 4x4, and 256 QAM which is basically a rip and replace. Base equipment is getting replaced too. But again the 3G stuff stays as is.

By comparison sprint just tore everything out and sorta left you hanging for days or weeks. I remember being in downtown Chicago on 1x everywhere.

• Like 3

This is a bit off thread and it doesn't need to be. All carriers upgrade constantly. One company's way isn't better than another's, except Springs rip and replace was far more disruptive and detrimental for a period of time. The goal is always to reduce the effects felt by the customer. Dan Hesse believe this rip and replace was more disruptive than he anticipated. This led to very large churn and ultimately led to Sprint becoming the 4th carrier. One can make the argument that with better planning during this phase they would not have fallen so far behind. But that is in the past. They have to dig themselves out during a hyper competitive time in wireless. They cannot do everything. It will take time to add density to LTE especially outside of major metros. Even their forecast CAPEX is still on the conservative side, but they have to be conservative.

Oh! Their graphic showed that they did 3.5 Billion in FY16. I guess the real number was much lower.

Anyways, the only difference I think Sprint ought to make with giving these Magic Boxes to their customers, is to offer an incentive, such as a $5-$10 bill reduction that helps customers with the added cost of electricity, and as fair compensation for helping boost its network by taking up space inside their homes and businesses.

Surely, this seems like enough of an advantage to customers just by being able to have this for better service, but the point of some small compensation will help to go a long way in getting more of these to places.

Shouldn't it being like free be plenty of compensation? The incentive is a free boost to 5 bars. lol

Im going to guess it consumes 20watts, but lets just say 20watts. I think the radio is just 2watts?  20watts * 24hrs * 365days * $0.12/kWh (national average) is $20 for the entire year. But I'd imagine that it consumes a lot less than 20watts.  

This relay probably costs like at least $150. On top of $60~$120 bill credits per year!? I can understand a little more when they use your internet as backhaul, but with this being free, optional, and a relay...

• Like 1

The other carriers definitely didn't do a 100% rip and replace on every site in the country. They've all over time replaced most of everything but it's been done slowly and methodically in stages. The last major overhaul TMO did in my market was around 2008-9 for 3G, they replaced all the panels and I assume added base equipment for UMTS support. They didn't go around and take everything offline.

Verizon and AT&T obviously just added LTE equipment to their existing 2G/3G equipment, so LTE was all new. Now currently they're going through and replacing hardware for extra band support, 4x4, and 256 QAM which is basically a rip and replace. Base equipment is getting replaced too. But again the 3G stuff stays as is.

By comparison sprint just tore everything out and sorta left you hanging for days or weeks. I remember being in downtown Chicago on 1x everywhere.

You can definitely tell who was around and knew what was happening while early stages of NV1.0 were going on...who on here talked with engineers and such...and who just read some reddits on the subject.

In other words, you can tell who here knows what they are talking about, and who is just talking only for the sake of being argumentative.

• Like 6

I realized a lot of people looking at the stock performance yesterday and concluded that sprint must have done terribly last quarter. That is far from the truth.  This is the first time in a very long time that service revenue increased sequentially from previous quarter. And this shows that even with very low capex, Sprint was able to add postpaid phones and increase revenue.  On top of that, looking at the recent rootmetrics reports, there are quite a few cities where lte speeds increase significantly.  But the most promising aspect of all this is that we are still in early inning, and sprint still has many tools which they just begin to utilize to increase its network performance such as hpue, magic box and small cells and these are not really available to other carriers.  

• Like 4

Oh! Their graphic showed that they did 3.5 Billion in FY16. I guess the real number was much lower.

I don't see any graphics showing $3.5 billion, but I think you might be thinking of this one on page 26 here, it shows overall Capex was $3.875 billion. However that is broken down into two segments: devices leased through indirect channels, and network expenditures. For our purposes we are concerned with the network portion. That was $1.95 billion in FY2016 and it is what they're projecting spending $3.5 to $4 billion on this year.

• Like 4

Shouldn't it being like free be plenty of compensation? The incentive is a free boost to 5 bars. lol

Im going to guess it consumes 20watts, but lets just say 20watts. I think the radio is just 2watts? 20watts * 24hrs * 365days * $0.12/kWh (national average) is $20 for the entire year. But I'd imagine that it consumes a lot less than 20watts.

This relay probably costs like at least $150. On top of $60~$120 bill credits per year!? I can understand a little more when they use your internet as backhaul, but with this being free, optional, and a relay...

I agree with you on the aspect of it being free, which many customers will see it that way too. Problem is though, other customers won't. They'll look at it from the perspective of "Why do we need these boxes to help Sprint's network improve paying electricity to run these things, when they ought to just fix their network like the other carriers". Now, I'm not saying that myself, as I like the idea of these Magic Boxes based on the fairly large coverage they are providing. Plus as I mentioned, I've had a similar idea to this regarding usage with AT&T and their Directv service.

I might otherwise agree with the people against this if the additional coverage area were much smaller, say about 1000ft or so, but its not. Plus, you're right about how cheap the electricity usage is. I certainly don't have a problem with my 4k television using electricity and my benefitting from it. Other people though, those who'd make this arguement against it, would not argue the point of their own benefit from the Magic Box, but what they are paying for the benefit their electricity is providing for others nearby using the network through it.

I don't see any graphics showing $3.5 billion, but I think you might be thinking of this one on page 26 here, it shows overall Capex was $3.875 billion. However that is broken down into two segments: devices leased through indirect channels, and network expenditures. For our purposes we are concerned with the network portion. That was $1.95 billion in FY2016 and it is what they're projecting spending $3.5 to $4 billion on this year.

That's the one I was thinking of. I guess I thought that their 3.5-4 B$ number was also broken down like that. So this is positive news.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

To this day I am still impressed with Sprint's NV 1.0 deployment, an entire brand new 3G/4G LTE network, shutting down iDEN and WiMax, re-tuning 800MHz for voice and LTE, and simultaneously adding, configuring, and optimizing LTE.  A job well done! 

• Like 6

To this day I am still impressed with Sprint's NV 1.0 deployment, an entire brand new 3G/4G LTE network, shutting down iDEN and WiMax, re-tuning 800MHz for voice and LTE, and simultaneously adding, configuring, and optimizing LTE.  A job well done!

Doing what they did sure took some initiative and a lot of guts. They could've just left all the legacy gear in place and added LTE on top like the others did. But I think in the long run replacing everything was the way to go. I can't help but wonder if they could've transitioned over more smoothly though.

Doing what they did sure took some initiative and a lot of guts. They could've just left all the legacy gear in place and added LTE on top like the others did. But I think in the long run replacing everything was the way to go. I can't help but wonder if they could've transitioned over more smoothly though.

More like desperation. Years of spliting capex between the different technologies starved their core network of funds.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

More like desperation. Years of spliting capex between the different technologies starved their core network of funds.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Killing off iDen and Wimax was always the goal after those Tech's were defunked.

Had nothing to do with desperation. But despite Sprints best efforts something always delayed their plans. From border issues with iBEZ to schools not wanting to accept Sprints offers to transition away from Wimax.

For the first time in a very long time, Sprint's destiny is in its own hands.