Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I put in a request as well. Whatever the qualifications are, I'm think it won't be overly strict especially if they are touting this as a small cell for the home that also help with outdoor coverage around you. It's one less thing Sprint would need to deploy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not outdoor rated.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I understand that it won't sit in the environment it would be inside an enclosure of some kind if I get one. Even a plastic tote silicon shout would keep water and bugs out. Some houses are just 2x4 and plywood. So a bird house that is sealed would do the job of keeping everything save.

• Like 1

I understand that it won't sit in the environment it would be inside an enclosure of some kind if I get one. Even a plastic tote silicon shout would keep water and bugs out. Some houses are just 2x4 and plywood. So a bird house that is sealed would do the job of keeping everything save.

Is the attic an option? That was always popular for TV antennas back in the day, and you probably get less attenuation the higher you go.

If you do go with an outdoor option, in the pictures it looks pretty bulky (something like 13x9x3 inches, if I'm eyeballing it correctly in the FCC photos), plus the wall wart to power it; you probably would need something more doghouse sized. Plus you might need to worry about heat dissipation if it's in a sealed environment.

I can't get any signal inside yet. :( That is why I would like an outdoor model or external antenna to drag outside to get the signal over the hillside. 100 meters should reach inside the house or other places outside. I think I may put a request in and try to put it outside in a weather proof box of some kind. This model is more for the city where there are lots of towers though more than rural areas.

If you're going to go through all that trouble, you may as well look for a provider that works for you.

In our farm, we are close enough to the main road that B25 still reaches us. Our neighbors land, which is physically closer to the tower, doesn't get any Sprint LTE. Those 2 sector antennas are directly aimed at the highway and not the farmland around them.

Is the attic an option? That was always popular for TV antennas back in the day, and you probably get less attenuation the higher you go.

Will heat kill these little boxes? They are meant for inside use after all and attics get scorching hot in the summer months.

If you're going to go through all that trouble, you may as well look for a provider that works for you.

In our farm, we are close enough to the main road that B25 still reaches us. Our neighbors land, which is physically closer to the tower, doesn't get any Sprint LTE. Those 2 sector antennas are directly aimed at the highway and not the farmland around them.

I just hope Sprint doesn't use these as a excuse to not put up new cell sites in places where they would get approved for a new tower.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

If you do go with an outdoor option, in the pictures it looks pretty bulky (something like 13x9x3 inches, if I'm eyeballing it correctly in the FCC photos), plus the wall wart to power it; you probably would need something more doghouse sized. Plus you might need to worry about heat dissipation if it's in a sealed environment.

The hill behind the house is higher and a little closer to the site and I know I can connect to lte there. From what I saw it was a shoe box size. I would have to get one in my hands before I make a decision on what to make.

It would not be that hard to built a box out of wood I have laying around and seal it with stuff I have laying around. Hardest part would be to find a pipe to get it off the ground.

We had close to 40 people here for the holidays no one has service here. Terrain is just bad it is not like Texas or LA. I would look at the airave but I may ask to move the  magic box to a location that has no backhaul such a campsite and keep it at the campsite during summer and home during winter.

Will heat kill these little boxes? They are meant for inside use after all and attics get scorching hot in the summer months.

Live up north heat should not be a problem like the south with your 105+ days.

Good point. Heat's not good for electronics in general, and passively-cooled ones in particular; I wouldn't put it in an attic here in Georgia, for example.

More shoddy -- or should I say "ugly" -- journalism...

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/03/sprint-magic-box-announced-to-help-sprint-expand-network.html

AJ

hmmm that's odd. I saw that earlier today and left a tweet response and I come to check it now and both the tweet was gone and I was blocked by the guy. I didn't say anything out of line. wow 

I just hope Sprint doesn't use these as a excuse to not put up new cell sites in places where they would get approved for a new tower.

I completely agree!   Was thinking this all day.   Maybe this is their idea of building the network out "Much Cheaper" than the other 3 carriers...

I completely agree! Was thinking this all day. Maybe this is their idea of building the network out "Much Cheaper" than the other 3 carriers...

I think it's to help with reach cause a tower does need to be near by. I think it's a great idea for public places and, people are willing to put it in their homes. Sprint still needs to densify and, hopefully expand to att coverage.

I completely agree!   Was thinking this all day.   Maybe this is their idea of building the network out "Much Cheaper" than the other 3 carriers...

I think it's to help with reach cause a tower does need to be near by. I think it's a great idea for public places and, people are willing to put it in their homes. Sprint still needs to densify and, hopefully expand to att coverage.

This is more a solution to indoor coverage... which in most places no matter how many maco and small sites you build, you'll never accomplish. This does not solve the capacity issue at all... as it rides on existing sites. So if capacity is the issue (like it is in many places) this doesn't solve anything and additional macro/small sites will still need to be added.

• Like 4

Don't see that happening until they are merged/acquired. Their "Densify" strategy right now is HPUE and Magic Box. Both great solutions for Sprint customers (so I'm not knocking it)...

Im just curious which direction they will go. I honestly don't think it will be T-Mobile. For some unknown reason I'm thinking Charter.

• Like 1

Don't see that happening until they are merged/acquired. Their "Densify" strategy right now is HPUE and Magic Box. Both great solutions for Sprint customers (so I'm not knocking it)...

Im just curious which direction they will go. I honestly don't think it will be T-Mobile. For some unknown reason I'm thinking Charter.

They are still deploying hundreds-thousands of small cells. That project has really ramped up lately, seeing them going in in places like Omaha and Lincoln, NE. Not to mention all of the small cells in the bigger cities like Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Minneapolis, etc. Lots of Mini-Macro B41 and B26 sits going in across all markets now to help with density as well.

• Like 2

It is not outdoor rated.

Masa seems pretty convinced that it was going to help with outdoor coverage. He make that point several times during the call. Is that not the case?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

They are still deploying hundreds-thousands of small cells. That project has really ramped up lately, seeing them going in in places like Omaha and Lincoln, NE. Not to mention all of the small cells in the bigger cities like Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Minneapolis, etc. Lots of Mini-Macro B41 and B26 sits going in across all markets now to help with density as well.

That's good. I haven't really been following all the individual forums. Did they mention anything about Capex on the call. IIRC, the CFO said it will be much higher all of 2017, so based on what you told me it seems they are committing to it.

I still don't see them expanding much until they are merged though.

Masa seems pretty convinced that it was going to help with outdoor coverage. He make that point several times during the call. Is that not the case?

Outdoors within a few dozen to 100 feet of the building it is in. Depends on the building. In a small house, theoretically it could cover a couple of houses. 

Outdoors within a few dozen to 100 feet of the building it is in. Depends on the building. In a small house, theoretically it could cover a couple of houses.

I dont know why he would make a point of it then. He seemed pretty excited by the prospects of having these things fill in gaps or weak b41 areas, indoor and out.

I dont know why he would make a point of it then. He seemed pretty excited by the prospects of having these things fill in gaps or weak b41 areas, indoor and out.

I have not heard/read what was said yet. You're certain he was referencing the "magic boxes?"

I think they said it can reach 100 meters outside which is about 300 feet. Also imagine if you're in a neighborhood that has a few of these turned on. It can probably cover the whole neighborhood pretty good (depending how spaced out they are and how big the neighborhood is of course)

I have not heard/read what was said yet. You're certain he was referencing the "magic boxes?"

Positive. That is what got me excited about it. An airave that doesnt need a user's internet for back haul isn't that exciting to me. I listen to his part of the call twice.

I think they said it can reach 100 meters outside which is about 300 feet. Also imagine if you're in a neighborhood that has a few of these turned on. It can probably cover the whole neighborhood pretty good (depending how spaced out they are and how big the neighborhood is of course)

That was the other cool part about these things, he said that the network would be able to optimize them remotely so that would interfere with each other. He later said that with 2.5 and millions of cell sites sprint has a competitive advantage. It is hard to make sense of that "millions of cell site" comment without sprint planing on a million or so of these things being pumped out.

Again, depends on the building they are in, and that's best case scenario there. I would imagine in most cases coverage is closer to 100 feet. Tim might be able to give a better answer... 

That was the other cool part about these things, he said that the network would be able to optimize them remotely so that would interfere with each other. He later said that with 2.5 and millions of cell sites sprint has a competitive advantage. It is hard to make sense of that "millions of cell site" comment without sprint planing on a million or so of these things being pumped out.

Figure of speech.

All a modern small cells are eNBs that can be remotely managed. Airave 3 is one, the airspan Airunity MB is one etc.