Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

will Sprint update any of those other local sites or add new sites is the questions?

Have to go to the arena for good lte?

The handful of sites in the New Orleans market that received B41 mini macro upgrades were "local asks" by market/regional managers and weren't part of any larger roll-out plan. They still have approved permits across the market going back 2-3 years for full 8T8R installations that haven't happened yet.

Yup, even more impressive to think that even in such a short period of time with a limited deployment how much it can positively influence the network. (and completely skew Ookla scores because of the insanely high peak speeds)

The TDD ratio change also made a difference, but I think the aspect that's getting overlooked is subscriber loss (especially with the new Verizon UDP offering). New Orleans used to have Sprint's highest market share percentage nationwide, so the only place it can really go is down; and you can bet that the recent influx of advertising dollars into New Orleans and Baton Rouge is a good indication of where subscriber numbers have been going. They largely ignored investing anything into the state for as long as possible since they really didn't have much to gain, and now the subscriber count has corrected itself to be more inline with their deployed infrastructure.

We track the deployment and performance of all four carriers statewide. In New Orleans specifically, T-Mobile has gone from 10 to 40-50 MHz of LTE on-air for most sites over the past few months, but their performance since Christmas has been plummeting; and even AT&T is having a difficult time keeping up with demand even while averaging 50-90 MHz of LTE on-air for most sites (with 2-3x the Sprint site density in some areas). Verizon has been converting 3-sector, 60 MHz sites to 6-sector, 90 MHz beasts in busy areas, and they've added so many new full build macro sites in the last 6 months that I can't even remember them all.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying their sudden, recent interest in the area isn't a good thing; but it's important to understand the overall context of where they stand versus the competition, and what I'm seeing right now are a few token upgrades and a press release to try to quell port-outs.

• Like 4

I do agree that a dozen or so upgraded sites does not make a network magically perfect. Far from it in fact, but, to finally see the tech on live sites is a completely different beast vs showing stuff off in a lab. 

So the thought of seeing the dream of 8t8r sites at their full potential finally come to fruition is something special despite its limited scope.

They're identical yes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

well fak. so the motorola device is a step up from the sammys, 'spec-wise', for Sprint users?

edit: could also explain why they chose the Motorola device for their demo!?!?

• Like 1

This is nice to see the new capabilities of the Sprint Network. I hope Apple will engineer their next phone to accommodate. I know they can be slow to adopt.

Apple is notorious for being cost conscious and doesn't include unnecessary components.

For example, there was a specific model of the iPhone 6s for AT&T which supported Band 30. This required additional components, but since none of the other carriers needed support for it, Apple didn't include it on the model for Sprint/Verizon/T-Mobile.

Apple also has a notoriously long design cycle for its devices, so it all depends when Sprint told Apple about its HPUE plans.

It also depends on how willing Apple is to build in a domestic carrier-specific feature for Sprint, and the costs involved in doing so. Perhaps if HPUE is implemented globally, that will help with the cost/device equation.

We'll see what happens this fall.

• Like 1

Apple is notorious for being cost conscious and doesn't include unnecessary components.

For example, there was a specific model of the iPhone 6s for AT&T which supported Band 30. This required additional components, but since none of the other carriers needed support for it, Apple didn't include it on the model for Sprint/Verizon/T-Mobile.

Apple also has a notoriously long design cycle for its devices, so it all depends when Sprint told Apple about its HPUE plans.

It also depends on how willing Apple is to build in a domestic carrier-specific feature for Sprint, and the costs involved in doing so. Perhaps if HPUE is implemented globally, that will help with the cost/device equation.

Very true on all points.  Even if the Sprint variant cost 10 to 20% more to produce, I would invest in a new phone.

• Like 1

You make a statement about Apple being cost conscious and not willing to spend on additional components, but then gave an example of Apple making a version explicitly for AT&T instead of a universal version which would have been more cost conscious.

With Apple partnering with Qualcomm (chip maker of Motorola used in demonstration) in the past with no sign of moving towards a total use of Intel chips, and HPUE finalized in December, there's a good chance Sprint has given Apple plenty of heads up to get this going before the usual September iPhone release. Only issue is if Apple wants to limit the Qualcomm chip like they did with the 7/7+

• Like 1

Sprint should set up their own local/regional speed test servers and have Sprint Zone run speed/latency tests to them so they can be included with submitted issue reports. I'm thinking this info would be helpful for Sprint's Network Team to have.

They already have and their servers can be used in Ookla speed tests. Austin, Houston, New Orleans, San Antonio, Dallas & Ft. Worth now have Sprint test servers. I'm sure the data they collect can tell them a lot about their network.

Having said that, I have noticed that the Sprint server seems to have higher downloads when compared to other servers. Upload remains about the same. Coincidence or just bad timing on network usage on my end?

Conspiracy tin foil hat: [ON] OFF

• Like 1

You make a statement about Apple being cost conscious and not willing to spend on additional components, but then gave an example of Apple making a version explicitly for AT&T instead of a universal version which would have been more cost conscious.

With Apple partnering with Qualcomm (chip maker of Motorola used in demonstration) in the past with no sign of moving towards a total use of Intel chips, and HPUE finalized in December, there's a good chance Sprint has given Apple plenty of heads up to get this going before the usual September iPhone release. Only issue is if Apple wants to limit the Qualcomm chip like they did with the 7/7+

iPhones have the same retail cost across carriers. Because of the additional components to support Band 30 on the AT&T specific version of the iPhone 6s, that version likely had a higher production cost. So, Apple's profit margin on that variant was likely lower.... and we all know how Apple loves its margins.... so Apple didn't want to have this increased cost when it wasn't necessary.

It must have done the math on the economics of producing a single iPhone 6s variant having Band 30 support vs having two variants. The numbers came out somehow.

Nope. Available on B25 as well. Plenty of 4x4 enabled sites in Ericsson land. 

Event was sponsored by Nokia. 

I am not sure that handsets can accommodate 4x4 MIMO on B25. Maybe tablets. I could be wrong of course. I guess I am ;).

Edited by bigsnake49

iPhones have the same retail cost across carriers. Because of the additional components to support Band 30 on the AT&T specific version of the iPhone 6s, that version likely had a higher production cost. So, Apple's profit margin on that variant was likely lower.... and we all know how Apple loves its margins.... so Apple didn't want to have this increased cost when it wasn't necessary.

It must have done the math on the economics of producing a single iPhone 6s variant having Band 30 support vs having two variants. The numbers came out somehow.

You also have to acknowledge that Apple has been great with including as many bands as possible into each of their phone variants over the last few cycles. The "SIM" free option is typically one of the most open phones you can buy. Also HPUE, from what I have read, is being deployed in many Asian markets and Apple is really trying to gain traction in China. It took Apple awhile to add LTE to the iPhone, but IMO they have been doing an excellent job of making the phones as universal as possible (which also does cut down on manufacturing costs and component costs at scale).

Apple did not partner with Qualcomm, I can guarantee you that :). They're suing them for...a billion dollars.

Edited by bigsnake49

Apple did not partner with Qualcomm, I can guarantee you that :). They're suing them for...a billion dollars.

I wish Sprint had someone to sue for $1 Billion dollars... :-)

Because of the annual upgrade cycle for iPhone Forever, Apple devices seem to generate the most customer momentum in terms of moving people onto new Sprint network technologies... which is good for the Sprint network.

Sprint releases how many of the devices on its network are Triband or Carrier Aggregation Capable.

Investor Update: http://s21.q4cdn.com/487940486/files/doc_financials/quarterly/2016/Q3/3_Fiscal-3Q16-Sprint-Quarterly-Investor-Update-FINAL.pdf

Page 8:

"Postpaid tri-band LTE phones^ represented 82 percent of the 26.0 million ending postpaid phone connection base compared to 64 percent at the end of the year-ago period and 78 percent at the end of the prior quarter. During the quarter, 96 percent of postpaid phones sold were tri-band."

"Postpaid carrier aggregation capable phones^, which allow for higher download data speeds, were 78 percent of postpaid phones sold during the quarter, increasing the number of these phones within the phone base to 50 percent."

I hope they break this down into 2CA/3CA and do the same for HPUE.

I am not sure that handsets can accommodate 4x4 MIMO on B25. Maybe tablets. I could be wrong of course.

Yes it can.

Read several posts above.

It's 4x4 on low band (sub 1 ghz) that's a huge challenge. Hell tmobile is already running 4x4 for B2/4.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

They already have and their servers can be used in Ookla speed tests. Austin, Houston, New Orleans, San Antonio, Dallas & Ft. Worth now have Sprint test servers. I'm sure the data they collect can tell them a lot about their network.Having said that, I have noticed that the Sprint server seems to have higher downloads when compared to other servers. Upload remains about the same. Coincidence or just bad timing on network usage on my end? Conspiracy tin foil hat: [ON] OFF

I had no idea... just looked in Speed Test. Closest one to me is in NYC: 204 miles away.

Nothing in the DC area, which is surprising especially since Sprint has a major office in Reston, VA.

• Like 1

"Negative" is subjective. If SG4RU is going to "discipline" for someone expressing their disinterest in Sprint's "look what we can do but don't actually do" game so be it. It seems petty, but I am not going to lose sleep over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've never been disciplined or warned, to my knowledge.  You've even defended me in the past, and I've respected you espousing differing opinions at S4GRU.  We even sometimes agree.   :lol:

However, people who are here just to complain, or troll negativity, are breaking the rules.  They will be handled accordingly as necessary.  We don't discipline an errant negative comment.  It's patterned or severe behavior.  We will not allow our pages to drown out useful Sprint dialog with anti-Sprint complaining.  Then all the thoughtful discussions relating to our mission disappear.  It just becomes an anti-Sprint vacuum.  It has destroyed other Sprint sites.

There are lots of places for people to go post complaints about Sprint.  Virtually every other wireless tech board is an anti-Sprint board.  But there is nowhere for the rest of us to go.  There has only been S4GRU.  We haven't had to do much moderating since Marcelo has come on board.  But since Verizon magically lowered pricing, we have had lots of whining and complaining.  It's getting old.  We're getting back on track.

Thank you for your posts over the years.  Your posts typically edify how someone can vehemently disagree a point and provide useful points to counter back.  Thanks for not being a complainer, but being a debater.

Robert

• Like 13

Can we complain that debate the question of has this thread run its course? :lol:

It's kind of become Main Street S4GRU.  We are going to let it continue for now.

Robert

• Like 7

It's kind of become Main Street S4GRU.

Correction: This thread is the S4GRU Town Hall.  See the thread title.  Apropos.

AJ

• Like 3

Sprint added a handful of B41 mini macros to congested NV sites, but most of the actual improvement in the Ookla numbers comes from the new Sprint-hosted speed test server that popped up in New Orleans ahead of the gigabit demo. Latency is about 50% lower and throughput is about 50% higher in comparison to other nearby speed test servers.

That's still good to see. With Sprint hosting Ookla servers, that means Sprint users can see results that accurately reflect the state of the network.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk