Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

http://fortune.com/2017/03/07/verizons-unlimited-surprised-sprint-churn/

The CFO was surprised he admitted. No shit you let your loyal customers churn. Stock took a hit because of this.

Great article!

Besides being surprised by Sprint's weak response to Verizon's move, I've been even more surprised by Sprint's unwillingness to reply to T-Mobile's stacked, grandfathered "triple threat" I'm coining it, being T-Mobile's following offers : 20% off discount "Hookup", Two for $100, and third line free. All I saw Sprint introduce to counter was a $22.50 per line deal that expires in a year and jacks up the price big time. Not much there to go on.

I don't know what this must be like for longtime Sprint employees who care about the company. I'd imagine they might fondly remember the days when there were alot of hope and optimism at Sprint, when there was the major NV project with management that had a full deployment plan for band 41 in place that would have made the Sprint network great and have massive growth potential for Sprint realized throughout this development. I also remember how it made people here very excited about its prospects.

I obviously don't have Sprint, I've tried it a few times with mixed results. While I wasn't at all impressed by the network while connected to the PCS spectrum, I thought band 41 was amazing, especially during rush hour. I know if Sprint could only get that at least mostly, if not fully deployed, along with a great, very competitive rate plan and decent advertising, Sprint could easily become that awesome wireless carrier we know it could be.

http://fortune.com/2017/03/07/verizons-unlimited-surprised-sprint-churn/

The CFO was surprised he admitted. No shit you let your loyal customers churn. Stock took a hit because of this.

Well it took everyone by surprise not just Sprint. Now that every carrier has unlimited, what differentiates Sprint from the pack besides their spectrum? I think Sprint as well as everyone rested under the idea that Verizon wasn't going to compete much let alone bring back unlimited. With the changes within upper management with Verizon, there has been changes. If you look on their twitter they are way more engaging with users, contests and stuff. With previous management you never saw these things. This coming quarter results for Sprint is going to be a telling one IF it's bad with the amount of ppl who left for the other 3 carrier offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what I see is, you guys want Sprint to lower it's rate plans while increasing money to network buildout, and you want it done by by summer no later. Oh and while they at it give away free things. Make you guys even more spoiled brat arm chair CEO's and when they haven't done what you guys want, find someone else that will? I guess most of the current generation of people are mostly give me what I want or else, I I'll complain, bad mouth, never feel satisfied, and try to preach orders to a company you don't even work for. It's just like the company I work for too.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

So what I see is, you guys want Sprint to lower it's rate plans while increasing money to network buildout, and you want it done by by summer no later. Oh and while they at it give away free things. Make you guys even more spoiled brat arm chair CEO's and when they haven't done what you guys want, find someone else that will? I guess most of the current generation of people are mostly give me what I want or else, I I'll complain, bad mouth, never feel satisfied, and try to preach orders to a company you don't even work for. It's just like the company I work for too.

No, I think what many people here want, who've either been loyal Sprint customers or very interested in Sprint for a long time dedicating that time to helping spread awareness of Sprint's potential, have been left greatly disappointed by the lack of network deployment, upgrades, etc. that have been promoted for years with claims that it would bring huge advantages for people using Sprint's network, when now Sprint still hasn't done much of this stuff following the completion of Network Vision.

The other part to this is understandable frustration over what I think many here realize isn't entirely Sprint's fault, but Softbank's, when it comes to lack of funding for Sprint to get these network developments active again. However, Sprint management hasn't done much in attempt to help Sprint for what it could be doing despite the issues with Softbank. Things like spending money on Tidal, turning Sprint stores into Pokestops, not responding to the competition with equal level promos for all that don't expire, etc.

Then there are the things Sprint is doing that upsets its longtime loyal customers, such as cutting back on ED subscribers, not giving fair access to promos, and then there are some people here who've reported their service declining, when it should be improving, meanwhile Sprint keeps promoting their unique spectrum position that is far from being fully deployed.

Also, its pretty insulting to call other S4GRU members "Armchair CEOs". There are many here who are network engineers, industry employees, dedicated analysts, and people who generally deserve more respect than that as they've dedicated much of their time and effort here on S4GRU to make this a great site for people to learn, discuss, and share both wireless industry developments and ideas, of course with an emphasis on Sprint.

• Like 3

New anti-Verizon ads are pretty cool. A bit of off but still cool

This plan would be great if it didn't expire in one year. Looking at T-Mobile account using MyT-Mobile, the promos are valid for over 3000 days, which is much longer than Sprint's new promo. I think if Sprint would just stop using this 50% off nonsense and advertise a clear, simple rate as T-Mobile does, it would be a great start. Already two lines is $45 each, so just say something like "two for $90", and make that a grandfathered rate. That would bring in people a lot better than just saying 50% off, and not make it look too cheap as saying "$22.50 per line". Even for me, someone who approves of lower rates, I think that is too cheap. That is the point where it'll hurt network spending.

The rate doesn't need to go below $45 monthly per line, taxes included. I think even charging $10 more than that is fair, considering carriers have costs beyond just that on network spending. If physical retail stores could get reduced, then I'd say go for the $45 rate with included tax, but definitely stop there.

He's been spewing the same bullshit for long enough that everyone thinks he's phony. You're a liar even if you're merely ordered by your boss to lie publicly.

Talking about what they are doing in the labs and their future plans does not make you a liar. This is ridiculous hyperbole. You are attempting character assassination, and we won't allow it here.

Regardless of the opinions of the current capex spending, Sprint still needs to look forward and deliver a positive vision for the future. You can do that and still work on the network. It's not an either/or proposition.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 6

We will not host Sprint complaints. We are not a Sprint complaint board. Constructive comments only. Chronic complainers, and unnecessary long diatribes may be moderated or have account actions taken.

Please be civil. Have a point. Have fun. Don't be personal. Avoid politics. And after posting, prepare to have your points challenged.

• Like 25

Sprint has been mismanaged for years, but they have been well on their way to recovery until Verizon dropped a bombshell of unlimited for a decent price on a family plan. Sprint just managed to post its first annual profit in nearly a decade last yer (http://phandroid.com/2016/05/03/sprint-2015-financial-results/).

Report after report has shown that their network is dead last in data, and by quite a wide margin. There is no longer any reason why Sprint with B41 cannot win many more markets in data speed. Sprint realizes this and I think that is why we are now seeing explosive growth in the mini-cells and the very public announcement of HPUE. Yes Sprint is number 2 in phone call reliability, but the difference between the four carriers in that metric are not much different when compared to the difference in data. What you just described, the "give me what I want or else" is capitalism at its best! It is what forces competition and ends up helping the consumer out. I think you are just seeing people frustrated and personally attacking Sprint, which is uncalled for. However, loyal customers do feel left out of the new offers.

People will churn and people will join. That is what capitalism is all about. And for me with four lines of Sprint Framily on unlimited for $45 a month per line, why would I not join the number one network in America for the same price? Especially if Verizon is willing to give be an even bigger discount because I have FiOS. We are finally seeing competition in American wireless. This is a good thing. Unfortunately right now it is a bit rough for Sprint (this Verizon announcement was unexpected by all carriers), but I think they will rebound quite well once we see HPUE and network densification with the minicells. 

• Like 1

The article said that Sprint's churn will likely remain the same as opposed to the previous prediction of going down. I feel like that'll be the guidance for most carriers this quarter. Pretty much all carriers stock prices dropped a little bit yesterday but obviously Sprint dropped the most since the churn news came straight from the horse's mouth.

The title is much more alarming than the story/news itself.

• Like 2

Sprint has been mismanaged for years, but they have been well on their way to recovery until Verizon dropped a bombshell of unlimited for a decent price on a family plan. Sprint just managed to post its first annual profit in nearly a decade last yer (http://phandroid.com/2016/05/03/sprint-2015-financial-results/).

Report after report has shown that their network is dead last in data, and by quite a wide margin. There is no longer any reason why Sprint with B41 cannot win many more markets in data speed. Sprint realizes this and I think that is why we are now seeing explosive growth in the mini-cells and the very public announcement of HPUE. Yes Sprint is number 2 in phone call reliability, but the difference between the four carriers in that metric are not much different when compared to the difference in data. What you just described, the "give me what I want or else" is capitalism at its best! It is what forces competition and ends up helping the consumer out. I think you are just seeing people frustrated and personally attacking Sprint, which is uncalled for. However, loyal customers do feel left out of the new offers.

People will churn and people will join. That is what capitalism is all about. And for me with four lines of Sprint Framily on unlimited for $45 a month per line, why would I not join the number one network in America for the same price? Especially if Verizon is willing to give be an even bigger discount because I have FiOS. We are finally seeing competition in American wireless. This is a good thing. Unfortunately right now it is a bit rough for Sprint (this Verizon announcement was unexpected by all carriers), but I think they will rebound quite well once we see HPUE and network densification with the minicells.

I appreciate this point of view. Sprint is handicapped by debt and that stranglehold limits options for spending or reducing cash flow. Verizon is definitely being disruptive right now. I think this really highlights why we need four carriers...for competition.

• Like 8

But they aren't handicapped by spectrum. Where Verizon and next T-Mobile are.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-06/verizon-s-reliable-reputation-on-the-line-in-coming-data-deluge

Sprint definitely is not handicapped by the amount of spectrum they have, but rather by the lack of the spectrum's deployment/availability for usage.

I appreciate this point of view. Sprint is handicapped by debt and that stranglehold limits options for spending or reducing cash flow. Verizon is definitely being disruptive right now. I think this really highlights why we need four carriers...for competition.

We are getting three. Either through merger or bankruptcy. The gap between the quality, coverage and distribution of profits all argue for three players.

• Like 2

We are getting three. Either through merger or bankruptcy. The gap between the quality, coverage and distribution of profits all argue for three players.

Oh, we may end up there. However, the big discounting and the prevalence of unlimited across all carriers is because we have 4. Reduce that and we will see it all revert back in time.

• Like 6

But they aren't handicapped by spectrum. Where Verizon and next T-Mobile are.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-06/verizon-s-reliable-reputation-on-the-line-in-coming-data-deluge

Spectrum really does not matter to the consumer, data speeds are what matter. Right now Verizon leads in speed, while T-Mobile is close. That may definitely change over time, but until then consumers will typically look at the RootScores. We also have to see how the auction turns out this spring. 

Oh, we may end up there. However, the big discounting and the prevalence of unlimited across all carriers is because we have 4. Reduce that and we will see it all revert back in time.

Well, I don't know about that. Returns to scale are extremely high in wireless and that is especially true in large nations with large populations. If the returns to scale are large in a given industry a market with a few large players actually delivers goods and services cheaper than having many smaller players.

That is why we saw all the mergers in the 2000s and did we see prices go up? Nope! Not only did prices fall but the plans got much better (does anyone off regional plans or how much did international roaming costs in 2002, if you could even do it or do you remember mobile data circa 2005?).

Sprint is having problems paying its current debt and are only managing it by starving the network and deploying network upgrades on a shoe string budget. I am sure Sprint engineers are extremely smart people but I am also sure they are smarter than VZW or ATT engineers and Sprint having less to spend on their network means they will continue to fall behind.

I am warming to a sprint-T-Mobile tie up. They new company will have the scale to compete with the big two and the spectrums to compete with wired ISPs.

Spectrum really does not matter to the consumer, data speeds are what matter. Right now Verizon leads in speed, while T-Mobile is close. That may definitely change over time, but until then consumers will typically look at the RootScores. We also have to see how the auction turns out this spring.

Not only that but how much of Sprint's 2.5 spectrum is Sprint just sitting on? Half in most markets. They keep touting their spectrums position but it doesn't do Sprint or their customers any good if they can't deploy it because of a lack of funds.

I guess you didn't read the part of where not having enough spectrum will have a bad effect on the network slowing down with a sudden influx of users. Basically just like cable when everyone in the neighborhood fires up the computer and it slows to a crawl.

Well, I don't know about that. Returns to scale are extremely high in wireless and that is especially true in large nations with large populations. If the returns to scale are large in a given industry a market with a few large players actually delivers goods and services cheaper than having many smaller players.

That is why we saw all the mergers in the 2000s and did we see prices go up? Nope! Not only did prices fall but the plans got much better (does anyone off regional plans or how much did international roaming costs in 2002, if you could even do it or do you remember mobile data circa 2005?).

Sprint is having problems paying its current debt and are only managing it by starving the network and deploying network upgrades on a shoe string budget. I am sure Sprint engineers are extremely smart people but I am also sure they are smarter than VZW or ATT engineers and Sprint having less to spend on their network means they will continue to fall behind.

I am warming to a sprint-T-Mobile tie up. They new company will have the scale to compete with the big two and the spectrums to compete with wired ISPs.

Are these prices going down in the 2000's due to regionals being gone or is there a higher correlation to something else?   I believe Verizon is doing this to knock someone off so they can keep their prices high.  

I guess you didn't read the part of where not having enough spectrum will have a bad effect on the network slowing down with a sudden influx of users. Basically just like cable when everyone in the neighborhood fires up the computer and it slows to a crawl.

Verizon has plenty of users on old grandfathered unlimited plans with no deprioritization with many adding the new unlimited plan. Yet their average network speed as of March 3rd is 24 Mbps for download and 7.2 Mbps for upload. Compared with Sprint's average network speed of 14Mbps down and 3.6Mbps up. Despite all the spectrum claims Sprint is still the slowest while having the least amount of subscribers. Most markets are not suffering from spectrum crunch yet, and Verizon would not make this move if it would tarnish their brand image, just like Sprint would not be showing off HPUE on a global scale if the results were not fantastic. The speed averages really do mean something along with the LTE footprint. There is a tremendous difference in the LTE footprint among the carriers.

• Like 2

As probably the one person on this board who has actually met John Saw, and spent time with him 1:1, can tell you that the guy is freaking brilliant and knows what he's talking about.

Also believes in it.

Not the only one...[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

This is what is happening to Sprint right now. Not enough spectrum deployed with way to many towers using 10-25 MHz of total spectrum. That's the future and this is what's happening right now.
  • Like 1

The Radio Shack deal seems to have been a big mistake. I say this despite thinking the Radio Shack employees are much nicer to deal with than those I've dealt with at Sprint stores. I'm not even much of a fan for the retail model as it is. Seems to me much money could be saved by cutting way back on retail, rather focusing strongly on a strong online presence that doesn't cost nearly as much.

The idea was to get new Sprint retail store locations on the super-cheap. However, these Radio Shack stores were poor performers, which explains Radio Shack's overall demise... and not just because of product, but because of location. Often, the stores were in abandoned sections of large malls, or in a failing strip mall somewhere. I'm not sure how it made sense to expect a Sprint store to perform better than a Radio Shack at the same location... but Marcelo was convinced that Sprint's main problem was having fewer distribution channels than the competition.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-signs-agreement-with-radioshacks-lender-to-expand-branded-stores.htm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-16/why-sprint-wants-radioshack-stores-to-help-win-back-customers

I disagree, especially since Sprint offers its best pricing online...

All of that money for Radio Shack store locations could have gone into CapEX for the network.... and should have in my opinion.

• Like 3