Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

My experience with manually paying while auto pay is set up on Verizon has been double payments. When I called Verizon customer care, they told me if the account balance doesn't show $0 a week before autopay is scheduled then the autopay will still go through even if you manually pay a few days before due date.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

I don't know if AT&T cares about the consumer mobile market any more.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think it's clear that they don't. I did the numbers based on that report of them having lost 40,000 lines last Monday, say they lost an average of about 30,000 lines per day for a month, that's 900,000 in losses, say that's sustained over a quarter, that's 2.7 million losses. They couldn't just sit still on this and they knew it, but they still don't care much about their wireless division anymore and that's why their new unlimited plans still feel like a slap in the face for a few reasons; two lines is $145 w/autopay (a $5 hike from the old UDP), $155 without, which is the highest pricing out there right now. and no FAN discounts which is a joke especially with them having the highest pricing. The 128kbps tethering throttle after the 10 GB's is used is no help either, and I despise these autopay/paperless billing credits that everyone is doing.

Incorrect. I have auto-pay enabled with my Chase Sapphire Reserve card.

(Verizon account)

proof

4b2ad39545.png

2a09a810a7.png

Well, it is good I left Verizon then, since they lied to me about this. The sales rep seemed to be one of the most genuine I've ever met at a carrier store, yet he never tried to help us get onto this deal. Plus, he messed up my phone and the billing. Its disappointing, because network-wise, Verizon was fine.

I'm so tired of Sprint talking about things and not actually doing it, it's time for changes. Don't talk about it, be about it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

HPUE only weeks away.. Looking forward to that instant gratification.

• Like 3

I'm so tired of Sprint talking about things and not actually doing it, it's time for changes. Don't talk about it, be about it.

Thing is, Sprint has been both talking and doing less for quite some time now, that when Sprint starts talking again, at least it sounds like something is going to happen. However, you're right about this, being that Sprint really should start doing something.

What I don't understand is why Sprint would bother talking about HPUE and MIMO, when they are far behind deploying band 41 on much of their network, let alone upgraded to 3xca in many markets. Sprint ought to do this first, then begin doing these rollouts of advanced wireless technologies.

As I've been saying, if Sprint would invest in doing this work, rather than sparing money for a merger, Sprint would have a very amazing network to which along with a great rate plan for all customers, would propel their business forward immensely.

As I've been saying, if Sprint would invest in doing this work, rather than sparing money for a merger, Sprint would have a very amazing network to which along with a great rate plan for all customers, would propel their business forward immensely.

The US is completely capable of supporting four players. Sprint is completely capable of turning around with more capital investment. Yet, the chairman, Masa Son, isn't pouring capital in. Banks don't want to SoftBank loaning money to Sprint? Find new banks. Maybe he should look out of Japan to find loaning, or sell part of the Alibaba shares to get $10 billion of capital expenditures into Sprint. Small cells isn't enough, Sprint also needs a more ambitious expansion of the macro grid in both coverage and density. Sprint has to be on one technical track as well. Why should Sprint have 2G/3G networks dragging behind them as they launch 5G networks? Sprint can't repeat mistakes of the past that poured 60,000 macros spread over CDMA, IDEN, WiMax, and LTE. It's time to be on a single technical track. It's also high time Sprint works to minimize the amount of money they pay to Verizon. Verizon isn't putting money into CDMA, they haven't really done that since 2011. They're literally pushing ahead of the pack on 5G. I mean they could get burned if their standard isn't completely compatible with 5G New Radio, but since 5G New Radio appears to be the air interface, they probably won't be that far away.

Sprint is capable of turning around without needing T-Mobile to rescue it. If a merger happens, that's because Masa Son wants it.

• Like 1

The US is completely capable of supporting four players. Sprint is completely capable of turning around with more capital investment. Yet, the chairman, Masa Son, isn't pouring capital in. Banks don't want to SoftBank loaning money to Sprint? Find new banks. Maybe he should look out of Japan to find loaning, or sell part of the Alibaba shares to get $10 billion of capital expenditures into Sprint. Small cells isn't enough, Sprint also needs a more ambitious expansion of the macro grid in both coverage and density. Sprint has to be on one technical track as well. Why should Sprint have 2G/3G networks dragging behind them as they launch 5G networks? Sprint can't repeat mistakes of the past that poured 60,000 macros spread over CDMA, IDEN, WiMax, and LTE. It's time to be on a single technical track. It's also high time Sprint works to minimize the amount of money they pay to Verizon. Verizon isn't putting money into CDMA, they haven't really done that since 2011. They're literally pushing ahead of the pack on 5G. I mean they could get burned if their standard isn't completely compatible with 5G New Radio, but since 5G New Radio appears to be the air interface, they probably won't be that far away.

Sprint is capable of turning around without needing T-Mobile to rescue it. If a merger happens, that's because Masa Son wants it.

That is exactly my thinking regarding Sprint, Fraydog, especially your mention of Macro sites. I'm not totally against small cells, but I think alot of the reports glowing about small cells as if they are going to be the "savior" of dead spots for carriers, and such related praise being bestowed upon smalls cells is a bit too much expectation.

I'm also not too thrilled about the idea regarding the use of unlicensed 5.0ghz WiFi spectrum for cellular wireless, as already the 2.4ghz frequency where I live is quite crowded. I have a 300mbps connection using Comcast/Xfinity at home, yet on the 2.4ghz band, I only get around 90mbps. However, when connected to the 5.0ghz band. I usually get at least twice that amount anywhere up to the full 300mbps. So, I worry how this could be impacted by cellular use if carriers decide to use it beyond what they are claiming now will only be used for large indoor spaces.

Also, I'm not sure if Sprint really even needs small cells beyond those large indoor spaces, if Sprint could get more Macro sites to add band 41 on, along with adding band 41 to its existing sites, of which there are plenty of without band 41. Surely adding band 41 to them isn't going to be enough, but its a great start they really ought to be able to afford.

Obviously, I agree Softbank ought to be able to spend capital on more Macro sites, but if they could just get band 41 on at least most of Sprint's existing sites, along with marketing the vast network improvement made by doing that with a great rate plan for all, that ought to help bring in extra cash to which they won't be justified in using limited available funds as an excuse not to then spend on important Macro site deployment.

The market, the state of US networks and the financials of two of the four players argue against a four carrier market. That may be different now that net neutrality is going by the way side, but given the current trends sprint would be able to continue growth with out cutting prices and if they want to pay their maturing debt down they will have to cut somewhere else. The last round of price cuts led to a virtual stall in sprint's network expansion and densification. What do you think this round will do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly my thinking regarding Sprint, Fraydog, especially your mention of Macro sites. I'm not totally against small cells, but I think alot of the reports glowing about small cells as if they are going to be the "savior" of dead spots for carriers, and such related praise being bestowed upon smalls cells is a bit too much expectation.

I'm also not too thrilled about the idea regarding the use of unlicensed 5.0ghz WiFi spectrum for cellular wireless, as already the 2.4ghz frequency where I live is quite crowded. I have a 300mbps connection using Comcast/Xfinity at home, yet on the 2.4ghz band, I only get around 90mbps. However, when connected to the 5.0ghz band. I usually get at least twice that amount anywhere up to the full 300mbps. So, I worry how this could be impacted by cellular use if carriers decide to use it beyond what they are claiming now will only be used for large indoor spaces.

Also, I'm not sure if Sprint really even needs small cells beyond those large indoor spaces, if Sprint could get more Macro sites to add band 41 on, along with adding band 41 to its existing sites, of which there are plenty of without band 41. Surely adding band 41 to them isn't going to be enough, but its a great start they really ought to be able to afford.

Obviously, I agree Softbank ought to be able to spend capital on more Macro sites, but if they could just get band 41 on at least most of Sprint's existing sites, along with marketing the vast network improvement made by doing that with a great rate plan for all, that ought to help bring in extra cash to which they won't be justified in using limited available funds as an excuse not to then spend on important Macro site deployment.

Sprint is fortunate to not have to worry about the 5 GHz band, I will be watching to see how operators get in the unlicensed space. I think landlords in particular have to be diligent with 5 GHz as being a property asset. If they can work out T-Mobile or Verizon using LTE-U in the 5 GHz unlicensed band without interfering with other bands, I am all for it. If I'm a Cisco or Ubiquiti network guy, I'm watching very closely for 5 GHz interference. There's only a limited amount of space in 5 GHz bands as is and even with space worked out, prospective LTE-U deployment has to be done a lot like robust UniFi deployments, with LTE-U small cells being deployed in roughly the same density as 5 GHz Ubiquiti deployments. I can barely get 5 GHz to go through two walls in my house and am going to likely have to do a Ubiquiti deployment to get 5 GHz through my house. Whoever is doing LTE-U is going to have to do deploy a lot of Flexi Zone and Radio Dot with a lot of Gig Ethernet and a strong backbone of fiber connected to it in order for LTE-U to really work.

Mind you I'm not against LTE-U, I think it has strengths like 4x4 MIMO, efficient spectrum speed over a relatively small 20 MHz block of supplemental download, good capacity handling, and it works with people who forget to look for WiFi. I just think it has to be used in conjunction with WiFi for capacity handling.

• Like 1

The market, the state of US networks and the financials of two of the four players argue against a four carrier market. That may be different now that net neutrality is going by the way side, but given the current trends sprint would be able to continue growth with out cutting prices and if they want to pay their maturing debt down they will have to cut somewhere else. The last round of price cuts led to a virtual stall in sprint's network expansion and densification. What do you think this round will do?

If Masa was putting in larger capital expansion and was expanding the network, Sprint wouldn't be having to cut their prices to compete. Competing on network would be a better long term proposition.

Maybe that can be done with T-Mobile leading the way. Lord only knows Neville Ray would be kicking ass with a $10 billion CapEx. That said, AT&T and Verizon likely raise prices, and T-Mobile pricing would be the future starting point. Sprint like pricing would be going away except for MetroPCS and other MVNO players on the combined T-Mobile network.

• Like 1

Sprint is fortunate to not have to worry about the 5 GHz band, I will be watching to see how operators get in the unlicensed space. I think landlords in particular have to be diligent with 5 GHz as being a property asset. If they can work out T-Mobile or Verizon using LTE-U in the 5 GHz unlicensed band without interfering with other bands, I am all for it. If I'm a Cisco or Ubiquiti network guy, I'm watching very closely for 5 GHz interference. There's only a limited amount of space in 5 GHz bands as is and even with space worked out, prospective LTE-U deployment has to be done a lot like robust UniFi deployments, with LTE-U small cells being deployed in roughly the same density as 5 GHz Ubiquiti deployments. I can barely get 5 GHz to go through two walls in my house and am going to likely have to do a Ubiquiti deployment to get 5 GHz through my house. Whoever is doing LTE-U is going to have to do deploy a lot of Flexi Zone and Radio Dot with a lot of Gig Ethernet and a strong backbone of fiber connected to it in order for LTE-U to really work.

Mind you I'm not against LTE-U, I think it has strengths like 4x4 MIMO, efficient spectrum speed over a relatively small 20 MHz block of supplemental download, good capacity handling, and it works with people who forget to look for WiFi. I just think it has to be used in conjunction with WiFi for capacity handling.

Perhaps the reason 5ghz WiFi works well for me is the single wooden floor it goes through from the gateway to my smart tv, or the signal is going through the air upstairs through the door space, not hindered by walls as with other setup. So far, I've been really happy with it and having Comcast/Xfinity has really made a big positive difference from having AT&T Uverse for home internet.

Hopefully carriers can make good use out of the 5.0ghz spectrum since they seem intent on trying, other than Sprint at the moment. Still, I worry how it might have an effect on WiFi.When I was having the issues with AT&T Uverse, the AT&T technicians talked a whole lot trying to convince me not to use the gateway as intended, but rather use ethernet. I realize ethernet will give the fastest possible speed which is better than using a WiFi connection, but seriously WiFi shouldn't be this bad to lose half of the maximum speed down to around 22mbps from the 45mbps plan I was subscribed to. After all, I'm getting around 90mbps on 2.4ghz and around 200mbps and up on 5.0ghz using Xfinity/Comcast. If there were an issue with the WiFi around here, I doubt I'd be getting so much better speeds using it with cable.

The other mention made by the AT&T technicians, was in trying to convince me I needed a really expensive router, such as the $500 Asus model one of them was bragging to me about. And for what? To correct the issues with their crappy Pace 5268ac gateway many people say bad things about online, when AT&T couldn't seem to get the much better reviewed Arris NVG599. Granted, I still believe most of the problems I had with AT&T were due to something they did on the outside as part of the upgrade, since there weren't any issues before my service upgrade from 24mbps to 45mbps. Yet, the Pace gateway still wasn't very good and others online seem to confirm that. I'm certainly happy I made the switch away from AT&T Uverse to Comcast/Xfinity for home internet, especially with my single router/modem combo Netgear 7000 gateway I got from Best Buy for around $200, which certainly has saved me from a messy experiment trying out expensive routers. I just hope this new cellular unliscensed spectrum initiative doesn't end up ruining it.

I fired my cable company's router and went to a Arris SB6141 connected to an AirPort Extreme a few years back. Saved money doing that over rental as well. For what I saved on rental over the last few years I could pay for my current setup and then sell the Extreme for replacing it with a UniFi system. It is crazy to see what people spend on renting things like that they could buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

If Masa was putting in larger capital expansion and was expanding the network, Sprint wouldn't be having to cut their prices to compete. Competing on network would be a better long term proposition.

Maybe that can be done with T-Mobile leading the way. Lord only knows Neville Ray would be kicking ass with a $10 billion CapEx. That said, AT&T and Verizon likely raise prices, and T-Mobile pricing would be the future starting point. Sprint like pricing would be going away except for MetroPCS and other MVNO players on the combined T-Mobile network.

If Sprint took our advice on network, along with what others here on S4GRU have suggested, such as RedSpark, etc., Sprint would be doing much better. They only need to go back to having the kind of great rate plans Sprint has done in the past, earning them such an impressive loyalty business.

I know I say this here alot, but I swear I really believe Sprint can do all of this, and get much business onto its improved network with a flat $45 monthly per line plan, without needing expensive/network intensive inclusive features such as international calling and hotspot. Instead, have those features as add-ons. $15 monthly per line for international calling, then a $15/$30/$45 monthly rate for unlimited 2G/3G/4G service, per line add-on.

• Like 1

I fired my cable company's router and went to a Arris SB6141 connected to an AirPort Extreme a few years back. Saved money doing that over rental as well. For what I saved on rental over the last few years I could pay for my current setup and then sell the Extreme for replacing it with a UniFi system. It is crazy to see what people spend on renting things like that they could buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I agree. Buying a modem/router/gateway makes more sense than renting one from the provider. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a new Arris NVG599 for sale to use on Uverse as my preferred solution to renting AT&T's bad new Pace gateways they seem intent on every Uverse customer having these.

They stopped talking about what they are doing that is why it is important for market tracking. We would not know about Madison, Columbus, Cleveland, LA, SF and more cities with small cells if it were not for places like this website and other sites tracking. Samsung GMOs are launching LTE spreading LTE coverage to more rural areas. B41 is still spreading on more and more sites every week.

I tired of people complaining about sprint doing these forward looking events. It is the Mobile World Congress what are they suppose to do sit events out? Let me put forward the prediction that at the next event people will be complaining about the same thing "Why is sprint making announcement about the future at this event that is about future tech and not doing it?".

• Like 8

If Sprint took our advice on network, along with what others here on S4GRU have suggested, such as RedSpark, etc., Sprint would be doing much better. They only need to go back to having the kind of great rate plans Sprint has done in the past, earning them such an impressive loyalty business.

I know I say this here alot, but I swear I really believe Sprint can do all of this, and get much business onto its improved network with a flat $45 monthly per line plan, without needing expensive/network intensive inclusive features such as international calling and hotspot. Instead, have those features as add-ons. $15 monthly per line for international calling, then a $15/$30/$45 monthly rate for unlimited 2G/3G/4G service, per line add-on.

Except they can't. There were companies that had that model they were called metro and leap, both were know for rather bad regional networks and had to sell themselves.

Doesn't confirm anything but there's a chance Verizon might make the shift to TDD LTE for higher frequency spectrum. I'm not surprised if they do though.

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2017/03/verizons-shamsunder-shares-insights-5g-trials-merits-tdd-and-virtualization-progress

Except they can't. There were companies that had that model they were called metro and leap, both were know for rather bad regional networks and had to sell themselves.

Well, the way Sprint currently is doing their plans has alienated many of its customers frustrated over having to pay differently from new customers. So perhaps if Sprint did something unique, fair, amd flat (equal), it would give something at least better than what they have now.

Doesn't confirm anything but there's a chance Verizon might make the shift to TDD LTE for higher frequency spectrum. I'm not surprised if they do though.

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2017/03/verizons-shamsunder-shares-insights-5g-trials-merits-tdd-and-virtualization-progress

I will applaud Sprit here because they were forward thinking when it comes to the future of networks and it shows. However, if Verizon makes this shift it could possibly throw Sprint into the background once again with network advancements. It's almost important to be the front running with these things and make it looks like the others are following your lead.

Well, it is good I left Verizon then, since they lied to me about this. The sales rep seemed to be one of the most genuine I've ever met at a carrier store, yet he never tried to help us get onto this deal. Plus, he messed up my phone and the billing. Its disappointing, because network-wise, Verizon was fine.

Didn't you just switch to Verizon when they came out with unlimited?!

• Like 1

I will applaud Sprit here because they were forward thinking when it comes to the future of networks and it shows. However, if Verizon makes this shift it could possibly throw Sprint into the background once again with network advancements. It's almost important to be the front running with these things and make it looks like the others are following your lead.

I agree. Just like when Marcelo kept talking about Sprint's "Next Generation Network" and all of sudden Verizon used that phrase for their own marketing

• Like 1