Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

From my use VZW voice is beyond over modulated or compressed. Even on VoLte imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YMMV but I do not have that experience at all. VoLTE on Verizon has been the best experience that I've had on voice that I have had by far.

I'm getting a bit concerned. So far, today has not been a good day for me. My mother had to call some health insurance agency connected to my Medicare/Medicaid that switched my primary care physician without my approval as part of some plan change they were suppose to have informed me to collect my consent for this, which they didn't do. I'm not so upset about it though, since my mother deals with my healthcare issues, which whenever she has to call these agencies, all I have to do is to give consent for her to speak with them on the phone. That normally takes about 5-10 seconds to do.

However, when my mother gave over the phone to me, the horrid lady on the phone demanded that I give her a bunch of information I don't know, and got into a shouting match with her as she was disrespectful of my telling her I don't know this information, my mother knows and is willing to speak on my behalf as I gave her permission to do. Yet, that wasn't good enough for this lady, despite my telling her how bad this stress was physically hurting me, something my mother made worse by pleading I cooperate with this awful woman after saying she'd give the information to me to relay back for this lady's satisfaction.

I refused, and my mother is just going to have to find another way to resolve it. Simply put, any of my cousins could assist her. My breathing is getting very bad, many times when speaking is a major pain, today being one of them. So, I'm definitely concerned about voice quality over wireless. I can't talk loudly, repeating myself, etc. because of poor connectivity or a low quality codec system being used. As good I've heard of Verizon being for data, I had bad experiences with Verizon VQ in the past, as have people I've spoken with. This is a reason why I would love for Sprint to fix its data issues by deploying band 41, as then it would be such an easy choice for me to switch back to Sprint. I completely agree with the positive reviews of Sprint's voice calling quality. It is landline quality and really sounds great.

From my use VZW voice is beyond over modulated or compressed. Even on VoLte imho.

I agree with respect to their CDMA voice. I don't know that I have experienced VOLTE yet.

I agree with respect to their CDMA voice. I don't know that I have experienced VOLTE yet.

To be more clear -- on volte their voice sounds good. But still not great. Wifi calling though is great.

Sprint has had great voice sound quality for many years.

• Like 3

When is Sprint's CapEx supposed to ramp up?

No one here to my knowledge (Hi Marcelo if you are visiting) is privy to Sprint's capital planning. That said there is plenty of anecdotal evidence like Omaha, mobilitie interacting with various local government entities and actual deployments popping up that work is ongoing. Per Sprint's last earnings call the lowering of guidance from "less than $3 billion" to between $2 and $2.2 billion for FY 2016, still indicates an expansion in spending. And you should have a pretty good idea on spending at that point as you're only projecting a quarter.

For the first 3 quarters of 2016, Sprint averaged $473.6 million. If they're going to spend between $2 and $2.2 billion that means $579 to $879 on CapEx for Q4. That is a 22% to 85% increase over the average of the first 3 quarters. In May we'll see what they spent for Q4 and what the guidance is for 2017.

• Like 4

No one here to my knowledge (Hi Marcelo if you are visiting) is privy to Sprint's capital planning. That said there is plenty of anecdotal evidence like Omaha, mobilitie interacting with various local government entities and actual deployments popping up that work is ongoing. Per Sprint's last earnings call the lowering of guidance from "less than $3 billion" to between $2 and $2.2 billion for FY 2016, still indicates an expansion in spending. And you should have a pretty good idea on spending at that point as you're only projecting a quarter.

For the first 3 quarters of 2016, Sprint averaged $473.6 million. If they're going to spend between $2 and $2.2 billion that means $579 to $879 on CapEx for Q4. That is a 22% to 85% increase over the average of the first 3 quarters. In May we'll see what they spent for Q4 and what the guidance is for 2017.

Nice analysis. Thanks!

Not sure if this article is of interest:  http://www.parksassociates.com/blog/article/pr-02232017

The short version is that they predict 10% of people may give up home broadband in favor of moving to wireless-only.

- Trip

Isn't there already a trend towards doing this? All this unlimited is going to help push this trend.

Not sure if this article is of interest:  http://www.parksassociates.com/blog/article/pr-02232017

The short version is that they predict 10% of people may give up home broadband in favor of moving to wireless-only.

Yeah people are stupid.

BlueAngel's reply to a different subject also applies to this subject -- dropping home broadband in favor of mobile only.

AJ

• Like 1

I don't know why people would want to drop home broadband for mobile only, unless they live close enough to a cell tower that gets them at least 30mbps minimum around the clock. Data usage such as 4k video on television sets requires that, heavy gaming I imagine needs that too, for decent speed. I've now got a 300mbps cable connection, and really can't see wanting to go back to anything slower than that.

• Like 1

I don't know why people would want to drop home broadband for mobile only, unless they live close enough to a cell tower that gets them at least 30mbps minimum around the clock. Data usage such as 4k video on television sets requires that, heavy gaming I imagine needs that too, for decent speed. I've now got a 300mbps cable connection, and really can't see wanting to go back to anything slower than that.

I pull 80 Mbps all day long off my home tower on Verizon. If an unlimited or really high bucket home hotspot plan were available I'd go with that over Comcast or Uverse any day.

• Like 1

I pull 80 Mbps all day long off my home tower on Verizon. If an unlimited or really high bucket home hotspot plan were available I'd go with that over Comcast or Uverse any day.

You're correct. I forgot that in some areas, these high-speed landline services are not available. It is understandable then why using high-speed wireless internet through cellular certainly is preferable to using slow speed DSL.

This reminds me of something I want to mention here, and I don't mean to be adversarial by commenting about this. However, for those of you who get annoyed by my ideas deemed "fantasy", I want to make a point here. Again, I'm not intending this to provoke an argument, though I feel this is a good opportunity to make a defense, just as I'm appreciative of gusherb reminding me of this technological limitation.

When I write about ideas, such as if Sprint made different spectrum arrangements in regards to its PCS spectrum, different merger ideas, and especially the main issue that has driven me to think of much of the other ideas stemming from this, the issue regarding spectrum handling by the FCC.

In such a highly technological environment we are living in, there are a number of different limitations that I see as setbacks to progress, but not only that, also things that just shouldn't be so limiting. Such as a person in a fairly decent sized are gusherb has mentioned before being in around NW Indiana. Not just there though, I know of areas around the Chicago suburbs that are in between zones where such service is available.

So, when I mention ideas as I see would fix certain problems, I'm not seeking fantasy, even if there are realistic challenges in the way of those things, all of which I've admitted too. I've never denied there are those things which exist, but I do challenge how that "reality" could setback such things that really should not technically be a challenge if only society didn't make it so. Yes, social challenges are a reality, but it isn't fantasy for wanting those things to change, for social and technical progression to happen.

I'd certainly argue the sense of restricting people from having access to landline broadband, when they are in between areas that have it. Certainly isn't the kind of situation involved as serving rural areas out in the middle of nowhere. Just the same as I see the ridiculousness of restricting spectrum to such measures as having corporations spend billions, such as Bill Gates' net worth, just for a decent amount of nationwide spectrum. Especially when it ends up costing consumers so much to restrict affordable access to a degree, or have carriers make sacrifices to accomodate that.

Just the same in my view of having an advanced technological society have restrictions that don't have to be there, but are because of extreme economics. I won't go past that though, as I respect the site's attempts to prevent politics here, and I know some of what I'm saying could lead to that, so I'll stop where I left it at that. I did want to make the point though that it isn't necessarily fantasy to have ideas that may not be so realistically possible based on social structure, but as long as there is a technical, physical possibility, meaning it could, then ideas of all kinds, not just mine, that fit into that possibility, should not be construed as fantasy.

Again though, my reasons/intentions are good. I'm not here to cause trouble or controversy with what I say, regardless of it being different, something I've acknowledged many times here, from the more common occurrence-based discussion that is the main form of conversation here. Certainly I respect that and engage with it when I see an interest in doing, but I also think its good to discuss ideas of what we think helps the wireless industry and technology, in general.

Also, sorry for the bit lengthiness of this post. Its the best I can do right now after little sleep, etc.

https://now.sprint.com/getaway/?ECID=vanity:getawayECID=SM:FB:P:CoupleOne:UF:2242017

A chance to win 100,000 American Airlines Aadvantage miles, $2,000 in spending money and a Samsung Galaxy J3 Emerge courtesy of Sprint.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Thats not a bad contest. Seems a better offer than some of the other contests I've heard of lately.

I downloaded the new Android messages app for my wife and I's phones. Does this mean that she and I can send RCS messages to each other? Does sending RCS messages count against our data cap?

Yes to your first question and I don't know to your second question.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yes to both, it uses data to send anything MMS just like any other app.

I downloaded the new Android messages app for my wife and I's phones. Does this mean that she and I can send RCS messages to each other? Does sending RCS messages count against our data cap?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Rural people who have no choice.

I hope the 5G standard has a case for rural fiber speed broadband without having to run fiber to every home. If VZ had a 2 TB a month plan with nearly gigabit speed in the 5G Era, and it was available here and was $70 a month, I'd consider it.

We will have to see if there is an economic case for this.

• Like 1

Rural people who have no choice.

I hope the 5G standard has a case for rural fiber speed broadband without having to run fiber to every home. If VZ had a 2 TB a month plan with nearly gigabit speed in the 5G Era, and it was available here and was $70 a month, I'd consider it.

We will have to see if there is an economic case for this.

Very true, and as I mentioned in my response to gusherb, I find the nature of this sort of technological limitations very sad, as they are tied in so deeply with economics that people in rural areas have so few options. Again though, I won't go into the politics of economics, but if anyone is interested in my thoughts about this issue, check out The Zeitgeist Movement online, which is an activism organization supportive of resource based economics and technological development.