Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Sprint Launches Best Unlimited HD Plan Ever

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-launches-best-unlimited-hd-plan-ever.htm

Unless I'm missing it, no mention of anything for current customers... :-(

Finally, a pretty good deal by Sprint again, but it should be available for all customers. Still, it isn't great, which it would be great if the prices weren't going up by $10 monthly, or if Sprint would at least include taxes with the increased $10 rate after promo expires.

The reason the new T-Mobile deal is so fantastic, is the two lines for $100 deal is grandfathered in, and it includes taxes. The taxes alone are worth at least $10, making the actual rate T-Mobile is charging for the service portion $90 monthly for two lines, which is $45 monthly per line.

I've long been saying here on S4GRU my opinion that $45 monthly each line is the "perfect" rate spot, being at the near equivalent to $1.50 per day. I really like the T-Mobile deal with the included taxes and probably would consider going back to T-Mobile on the deal, if the service quality were better around here in the Chicago area.

• Like 1

I was going to cancel my Sprint account and port to Verizon but I just found out that Sprint stores will have Pokemon Go lures tomorrow for 6 hours.

:lol:

That's cold. ????

I hope everyone here got their 6 months free of Tidal HiFi (no Credit Card required) by redeeming the code word "Sprint" on tidal.com

Here's the head scratcher; you don't have to be a Sprint subscriber to get the 6 months free. ????

Common Sprint! Get it together and leverage your assets to make ALL your customers (and just your customers) happy!

• Like 3

No, that would be Gary Forsee, in my opinion ... who's still getting a Sprint paycheck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_D._Forsee

"Forsee was ousted after Sprint lost 337,000 customers in the third quarter of 2007,[5] and a little over six months later the company wrote off $31 billion related to the merger—essentially writing off three quarters of $42 billion Nextel's market capitalization value as of the time of the merger.[6] In a significant reversal of market perception of his performance, the former "Best Manager" was named one of the "Worst CEOs" in 2009 by Fortune Magazine based on the disastrous outcome of the Sprint Nextel merger.[citation needed]"

"Despite Gary Forsee's widely reported poor management performance throughout the Sprint Nextel merger and afterwards, he was awarded a severance package that ChiefExecutive.net described as "exceptional:"[7] Foresee's severance package added up to over $40 million, including a $1.5 million salary through 2009, $5 million in bonuses, stock options and restricted shares worth $23 million and an $84,000-a-month pension for life.[8]"

Forsee is the dark power that put Sprint in its near-death spiral, and caused Sprint to have the bad reputation that has been stuck to it for years. Hesse really tried turning things around, and while certainly not perfect, I think he did the best he could, certainly better than Forsee, and now I'm even inclined to say better than Marcelo.

What Sprint really needs is a CEO with the professionalism and smarts like the people at Verizon, with the intense loyalty to company like Legere, the main credit I do have to give Legere in his role at T-Mobile.

• Like 1

How much would have acquiring MetroPCS helped?

Wasn't Sprint already strapped for cash at the time? That had to be the reason for the Board's refusal, right?

There was a discussion about it on S4GRU several months ago, where the issue was mostly agreed that the benefit would have been to keep T-Mobile from having it, which gave T-Mobile a tremendous boost.

• Like 1

I thought Dan understood what people wanted. Clear plan prices. No promos with gotcha gimmicks. The "Dan in the street" and "Dan in the diner" ads were some of the best wireless ads ever made.

As for the website, it was pretty awful during his tenure. Marcelo finally got the site looking nice.

Take the Coverage Map for example. Until the viewer window was recently enlarged to make it more usable, it looked like a Hesse era product... and it was.

As for informing customers about what's up, the Sprint Network Page showing improvements was good. Shame it was deprecated.

I'll give Marcelo credit for finally fixing the Sprint website, making it look much better than it did before. I thought the old site was quite a mess to look at.

• Like 3

That's cold.

I hope everyone here got their 6 months free of Tidal HiFi (no Credit Card required) by redeeming the code word "Sprint" on tidal.com

Here's the head scratcher; you don't have to be a Sprint subscriber to get the 6 months free.

Common Sprint! Get it together and leverage your assets to make ALL your customers (and just your customers) happy!

Got?  Is it gone?

Here's Dr. John Saw's take on Sprint's spectrum position and Unlimited:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/in-the-land-of-wireless-spectrum-is-king.htm

Thoughts?

I agree with him on the importance of 2.5ghz band 41 spectrum, but Sprint really needs to get going on deployment of it in as many places as it can.

I also like the spectrum chart!

All carriers offer unlimited data, and have a better data network than Sprint

What is Sprint selling point?

What separate Sprint from the others?

Does Sprint has the faster network

Does Sprint has the most capacity per customer?

Does Sprint offers a great customer service? 

The answers to those questions is a big fat no..

We know about all that spectrum,but it doesn't count because its not deployed, and average Joes and Lucy  around town dont care about it. They only care about that their expensive smartphone works anytime they need to. 

• Like 10

Yeah, the vast majority of 2.5 is not deployed and you are moving to slow on densification to leverage your value proposition with 2.5. Nice chart Dr. Saw but we have seen that since the merge and your network is still not the fastest.

I am seriously sick of Sprint's "look at our potential" line. People buy products and services for what they can get out of them when they pay for them not for vague future promises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I liked the chart, but he certainly didn't win me over. Sprint has been far behind in network performance reviews, is delayed greatly in getting band 41 deployment, still angering customers with its rate plan issues, etc.

Hesse's team wasn't perfect, and there were issues with spending, but some of those issues were good for customers, as spending on network is a good thing. So, all these cutbacks Sprint has made since Marcelo may look good for its bottomline, it isn't the progressive stance Sprint really needs right now when it comes to the network, which is what Hesse's team was spending on.

What Marcelo's team is doing is making Sprint look better in terms of sale. The outlook now seems to have Masayoshi Son wanting to sell, after all.

https://opensignal.com/blog/2017/02/16/lte-how-us-operators-stack-up-by-region/

Sprint is not looking good for LTE availability or speed. They are dead last in every single category in every single region.

That is exactly why Sprint really needs to be spending on network right now, rather than waiting around hoping for a merger with T-Mobile, etc.

Got? Is it gone?

Not sure. But if you can still get it, then that means Sprint is never going to get their shit together.

This would have been a great opportunity to give 6 free months of Tidal service to loyal Sprint customers. But instead it was given to everyone. The only reason I found out about the voucher was because it was posted in the T-Mobile subreddit. How hard would it have been to just send out unique voucher codes through the Sprint app?

• Like 1

I'm gonna call sprint in a few days and see what my options are, maybe they will tack on 10GB tethering to my two lines but I doubt it. They really need to do something for me because I can do better with the competition.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Go back to 2006 and 2007. They had to write of 29 billion of value because of the merger. Nearly half of the value of the company, that is what Hesse walked in on. To get the company to a point where it was treading water was a major accomplishment.

The blocking of the metro and T-Mobile mergers were outside of his control and they were the only way to fix sprint's structural problems as we are seeing today. Sprint is paying off debt by starving the Network and that isn't good news.

I definitely agree starving the network is bad. With a healthy network that can easily beat the competition, which Sprint certainly has the capability of, between all the work that was done With NV, and the huge spectrum advantage Sprint has with band 41, Sprint could have higher prices and still get customers.

MetroPCS has now made its $50/5GB plan unlimited (with 480p video and no tethering) to go along with its $60 unlimited plan with 8GB of tethering and HD video. Both prices include taxes and fees.

• Like 2

Well, I liked the chart, but he certainly didn't win me over. Sprint has been far behind in network performance reviews, is delayed greatly in getting band 41 deployment, still angering customers with its rate plan issues, etc.

Hesse's team wasn't perfect, and there were issues with spending, but some of those issues were good for customers, as spending on network is a good thing. So, all these cutbacks Sprint has made since Marcelo may look good for its bottomline, it isn't the progressive stance Sprint really needs right now when it comes to the network, which is what Hesse's team was spending on.

What Marcelo's team is doing is making Sprint look better in terms of sale. The outlook now seems to have Masayoshi Son wanting to sell, after all.

That is marcelo's big accomplishment. He put lipstick on a pig to make it look appealing as a takeover target. Wall Street was fooled and he kept Sprint out of bankruptcy. Hesse wasn't nearly as wickedly smart. He thought you gotta invest in the network to change perception. What a simpleton!

He promised the moon and never intended to deliver.

• Like 4

I am most shocked by AT&T. Sprint though really needs to start focusing on network. It is getting tiring hearing Sprint is within 1% of Verizon using Nielson data but analyzed by Sprint in 108 metros areas. Especially when no other report shows this to be true.

I like AT&T, but this isn't good with their showing. Side Note though : I'm having difficulty with my Uverse internet service today which a technician is stopping by tomorrow, hopefully will fix the issue. If not, I may end up going with Xfinity and getting Verizon, since there isn't any active device payments, etc. keeping me tied with AT&T. I'll have to see though.

The network has improved a lot since Marcelo took over but Sprint seems to have ran out of steam, haven't seen any improvements in a long while now. And there are still some areas that are lacking optimization so you lose service or get stuck on a sliver of useless 3G.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That is marcelo's big accomplishment. He put lipstick on a pig to make it look appealing as a takeover target. Wall Street was fooled and he kept Sprint out of bankruptcy. Hesse wasn't nearly as wickedly smart. He thought you gotta invest in the network to change perception. What a simpleton!

He promised the moon and never intended to deliver.

That's not really accurate.  The network is A LOT better now than the day before Marcelo took over.  Way better.  The everyday experience for the Sprint customers is so much better.  And average speeds have more than doubled.  Marcelo has targeted Sprint's investment in the most critical areas.  Instead of remote places in under served markets.

Churn if you want to.  You have that right.  Sprint will not be the best provider for everyone.  And I do hope that Sprint comes up with something much better to keep existing customers.  They'd be foolish not to.  But I disagree with your assessment here between the differences of Marcelo and Hesse.  You say it as if Marcelo wasn't straddled with debt and hindered cash flow, just choosing for convenience not to upgrade everywhere and everything.

• Like 8

Why do people think they have a better economic understanding of a company's business than the CEO?

It doesn't really have anything to do with that. Generally, there is different ways of thinking between executives and customers. Sometimes the lines get blurred though, such as in the case with John Legere, who often tries thinking from a customer's perspective, rather than just business. It is sometimes I think he does that a bit much, but also can be a good thing, at times.

• Like 1

AT&T smelled blood in the water with Sprint, but they are also losing customers to T-Mobile.

I wish I wouldn't have slept so long today, so that I could have been awake during this thread conversation I'm now just catching up to. I still haven't read all the details of the AT&T deal, but looks as though I may be in for some plan changes the next few days.

Edit Note :

I just finished reading about the AT&T deal, and I think what I'm going to do is go to Verizon on my plan, while my mother switches to Cricket for her phone on a low data plan. I'll have to see how things work out on Friday though.

There was a discussion about it on S4GRU several months ago, where the issue was mostly agreed that the benefit would have been to keep T-Mobile from having it, which gave T-Mobile a tremendous boost.

Would Sprint have had the CapEx/know how to integrate MetroPCS or would it have turned out like the Nextel acquisition?

What would have been invoked in a MetroPCS acquisition and integration?

• Like 1

That's not really accurate. The network is A LOT better now than the day before Marcelo took over. Way better. The everyday experience for the Sprint customers is so much better. And average speeds have more than doubled. Marcelo has targeted Sprint's investment in the most critical areas. Instead of remote places in under served markets.

Churn if you want to. You have that right. Sprint will not be the best provider for everyone. And I do hope that Sprint comes up with something much better to keep existing customers. They'd be foolish not to. But I disagree with your assessment here between the differences of Marcelo and Hesse. You say it as if Marcelo wasn't straddled with debt and hindered cash flow, just choosing for convenience not to upgrade everywhere and everything.

Let's face it. You and I know the network is only better in calls and text. Marcelo never had any intention to make the network deliver the data speed people expect. Doesn't matter. If Marcelo had done his job with the network, then customers wouldn't flock to join other carriers as soon as they all have Unlimited at comparable price points. Let's see what happens in the next several weeks. The proof is in the pudding. The excuses don't matter.

• Like 2