Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I miss Hesse.

I do too, although he presided over a different era in wireless. He had the right idea, though. One plan for everyone: ED450 for single lines, ED1500 for multi-line accounts. More minute buckets if you needed them. Nobody ever went over because data and text were unlimited, and the only minutes that counted were landlines during the day. Understanding your bill was simple because it was the same every month. No reason to call in because you couldn't really change your plan - there was only one to pick, and since you never went over you never had to call in to explain a mysterious fee or charge. Wait times, even with more customers back in the day, were measured in seconds when calling Care. And you always spoke to someone in the US - they'd even answer the phone saying "Thank you for calling Sprint, this is XXX from the Charlotte call center."

Now it seems every customer has a different promotion, a different credit, a different lease payment. Things change like a roller coaster every few weeks. Nowadays I routinely wait 10+ minutes to speak to someone at a contracted overseas call center who probably handles a totally different company next time the phone rings, and is thus not trained on Sprint at all. Existing customers can't get the best pricing.

• Like 7

I do too, although he presided over a different era in wireless. He had the right idea, though. One plan for everyone: ED450 for single lines, ED1500 for multi-line accounts. More minute buckets if you needed them. Nobody ever went over because data and text were unlimited, and the only minutes that counted were landlines during the day. Understanding your bill was simple because it was the same every month. No reason to call in because you couldn't really change your plan - there was only one to pick, and since you never went over you never had to call in to explain a mysterious fee or charge. Wait times, even with more customers back in the day, were measured in seconds when calling Care. And you always spoke to someone in the US - they'd even answer the phone saying "Thank you for calling Sprint, this is XXX from the Charlotte call center."

Now it seems every customer has a different promotion, a different credit, a different lease payment. Things change like a roller coaster every few weeks. Nowadays I routinely wait 10+ minutes to speak to someone at a contracted overseas call center who probably handles a totally different company next time the phone rings, and is thus not trained on Sprint at all. Existing customers can't get the best pricing.

The everything data plans were the best plans ever!! They were so easy to sell too lol

• Like 3

I just corrected it

That is the same Unlimited Freedom plan they've had for months. Nothing new in response to the Verizon and T-Mobile changes. I guess Sprint is thinking they don't need to make a change?

The everything data plans were the best plans ever!! They were so easy to sell too lol

If only we could go back in time to those days.

• Like 5

I miss Hesse.

I'm completely in agreement with you, RedSpark.

I've mentioned this in a few posts lately, how despite the issues with Network Vision, the guy had a plan. He wanted to expand Sprint's network, he wanted to deploy band 41, and he wanted to get MetroPCS, but the board of Sprint wouldn't let him. So, regardless of the hiccups in NV, he generally seemed to have Sprint's best interests at heart. Dan Hesse even featured himself speaking directly to his audience in Sprint ads, which some of the Sprint commercials under his watch were simply genius. Remember the ads featuring Malcolm McDowell and James Earl Jones? Great stuff! Also, some of Sprint's best rate plans were under his watch too. Sprint was going in the right direction with Dan Hesse, and now, who really knows. I definitely believe Sprint would have been in much better shape right now if Dan Hesse were still in charge of Sprint.

• Like 3

I dont know if this has been posted here but on Sprints reddit they supposedly have a solution for current customers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/5ua9al/sprint_s_answer_to_verizon_unlimited_plan_for/

Thats the current unlimited freedom pricing....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was just looking at the Sprint plan optimizer, lol the only plan they show is $70 more expensive lol but I could save today... I am on the family unlimited plan from about two years ago, no tethering and no compromised video/audio etc it's about $180 a month... I think I could do better. AT&T needs to announce something soon I just may switch.

• Like 1

Arysyn, you love to give out your ideas on pricing but there's one thing you and the other companies still love to do...that's charge premiums for extras. If Sprint truly wants to combat T-Mobile, then play them at their own game. Sprint has flirted around with several different pricing schemes for the last few years, all while merely doing their best to stay afloat. If there is one thing Sprint does well, it's be the cheaper entity to help drive people in while locking them into a contract (previously by plan, now by phone lease) enabling them to obtain funds to later use to better their network. Here's my idea on pricing. Simply advertise the autopay prices as the rates, since that seems to be the new fad, and voila you've got new plan rates that are not just promotional and offer the top service competitively. Enabling this for new and existing customers helps retain customers as well as drive them in.

Another offer Sprint could do is introduce a Loyalty Credit of 10% for 5 years and 15% for 10+. This not only gives new customers an incentive to stick around for a while, but rewards those that have already stuck around through the dark ages of Sprint. Even do a commercial themed around looking back at the past years and the road they've traveled to the present promoting where they currently are at and all of the achievements they've made (showing off all the Nelson testing results which favor Sprint) and own up to their mistakes in an effort to move forward. Just as T-Mobile was smart to appeal to the incoming millennial generation, Sprint too needs to focus on the incoming generation. Make Sprint look human and appeal to their empathetic side while keeping the prices down to appease the more penny-pinching older generations.

Your ideas are good too. I think many of us here on S4GRU have good ideas that Sprint ought to consider. Giving the credits to loyalty customers you suggested, definitely would be helpful, and I think its the right thing to do. Perhaps Sprint will reconsider if they end up losing many of their loyalty customers, but I really don't know right now. It just doesn't look good, and I know many of us are trying here on S4GRU mentioning things that would help Sprint, especially as many of us were taken by surprise by Verizon, some even convinced enough to go to Verizon after many years with Sprint. I think that speaks loudest of Sprint nowadays that Verizon can come in with a really great deal and easily win over Sprint loyalists, which I mean that respectfully.

• Like 2

Your ideas are good too. I think many of us here on S4GRU have good ideas that Sprint ought to consider. Giving the credits to loyalty customers you suggested, definitely would be helpful, and I think its the right thing to do. Perhaps Sprint will reconsider if they end up losing many of their loyalty customers, but I really don't know right now. It just doesn't look good, and I know many of us are trying here on S4GRU mentioning things that would help Sprint, especially as many of us were taken by surprise by Verizon, some even convinced enough to go to Verizon after many years with Sprint. I think that speaks loudest of Sprint nowadays that Verizon can come in with a really great deal and easily win over Sprint loyalists, which I mean that respectfully.

I think for those (myself included) who are thinking of switching it's really simple. The price is in line with what we are paying now. The perk is being on a better network overall. So it's like why stay with Sprint when I can pay damn there the same price for better. I like my sprint service but I've been back and forth with Sprint over my data issue in my home for 5 months that wasn't a issue before. The tech is suppose to call me tomorrow with their findings. That right there will decide if I leave after 8 years.

I will say for those who do switch who are active in this forum will still be active on here and keeping a eye on Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I think for those (myself included) who are thinking of switching it's really simple. The price is in line with what we are paying now. The perk is being on a better network overall. So it's like why stay with Sprint when I can pay damn there the same price for better. I like my sprint service but I've been back and forth with Sprint over my data issue in my home for 5 months that wasn't a issue before. The tech is suppose to call me tomorrow with their findings. That right there will decide if I leave after 8 years.

I will say for those who do switch who are active in this forum will still be active on here and keeping a eye on Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the most part, my experiences here on S4GRU have been quite positive, and I'd have to say more so than my experiences with Sprint have been. Yet then again, I've been helped more by this site in terms of general wireless discussion, as this site's influence on me regarding Sprint was a long time ago, and had a short impact on my Sprint experience. Still, I think for me when it involves this site and Sprint nowadays and the future, it will be to see if Sprint does what I've learned from this site Sprint needs to do. If/when it does, perhaps I'll try Sprint again.

I empathize very much with those here on S4GRU who've stuck by Sprint for a long time, only to find themselves disappointed by Sprint for whatever reason, but especially from a personal account/network issue. I've had things I've been loyal to, only to have it hurt me in the end. Of course, there is a degree of difference I've found when money is involved. A bit more anger and resentment, in contrast with sadness and grief, which is opposite in situations more personal, less business/financial.

• Like 1

I dont know if this has been posted here but on Sprints reddit they supposedly have a solution for current customers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/5ua9al/sprint_s_answer_to_verizon_unlimited_plan_for/

Lol, that's my Reddit post it was posted as a joke/sarcastic. Sprint needs to start offering these promotions to current customers or it's going to get ugly really fast.

• Like 6

Lol, that's my Reddit post it was posted as a joke/sarcastic. Sprint needs to start offering these promotions to current customers or it's going to get ugly really fast.

Indeed it might, then again in some ways, it already has.

• Like 1

I miss Hesse.

You know what I do too, I liked Marcelo in the beginning because he was a breath of fresh air however Hesse had a plan for Sprint. He made NV happen, and wanted to add 2.5 to every cell site.

Don't get me wrong Marcelo is cool, but I feel he's Masa's lap dog.

You know, I was thinking the same thing the other day. Seems like he got a lot done in his time with Sprint and managed to keep them fairly relevant at the time, not to mention his practical approach to everything like voice/data plans and NV. Marcelo has been mostly confusion and hollow promises. I basically left not too long after he took over, I felt like I wasn't gonna get what I wanted then and seems nothing has changed since.

• Like 3

You know, I was thinking the same thing the other day. Seems like he got a lot done in his time with Sprint and managed to keep them fairly relevant at the time, not to mention his practical approach to everything like voice/data plans and NV. Marcelo has been mostly confusion and hollow promises. I basically left not too long after he took over, I felt like I wasn't gonna get what I wanted then and seems nothing has changed since.

It is good reading these posts regarding the appreciation those here have of Dan Hesse's positive contributions to Sprint while he was in charge of the company.

Another thing I wanted to mention regarding this here too, is how S4GRU generally was busier during those times. Surely, NV was in progress, and that brought people here discussing all of the pros and cons, etc. Although I wasn't an active member here back then, or even registered to this site, I lurked around a lot, reading quite a bit and referencing this site a lot in good terms, of course, whenever discussing wireless issues with others.

I believe if Dan Hesse were still in charge of Sprint, we would be hearing alot more regarding network developments, with people still actively discussing and verifying this information on a much larger scale than what is going on now. I know people thought the whole "underpromise, overdeliver" thing is nice, but its also nice to be hearing some news regarding this stuff more often than not, even through the delays, because it gives a sense something good is going on, rather than barely anything.

• Like 2

I know we are all a little peeved at Marcelo. However, let's not forget that under Hesse's tenure, he led a poor NV roll out and Sprint's cost base was insane. Imagine if Hesse spent more time cutting expenses and attacking the corporate bureaucracy while deploying NV, Sprint would've had more funds to expand and densify.

Marcelo isn't perfect, but I think we shouldn't gloss over the execution issues under the previous management.

• Like 7

The wireless market is price driven, and now more than ever rural coverage driven! I'm fearful that Sprint better do something soon to become even more competitive since unlimited data is bountiful among other carriers that have a much larger native footprint. Hopefully this want be the nail in the coffin.

• Like 1

I know we are all a little peeved at Marcelo. However, let's not forget that under Hesse's tenure, he led a poor NV roll out and Sprint's cost base was insane. Imagine if Hesse spent more time cutting expenses and attacking the corporate bureaucracy while deploying NV, Sprint would've had more funds to expand and densify.

Marcelo isn't perfect, but I think we shouldn't gloss over the execution issues under the previous management.

Perhaps Hesse tried to do some of those things you mentioned, but the board wouldn't let him, much like how they blocked him from getting MetroPCS. It seems there were quite a lot of problems with the old guard at Sprint, yet not with Hesse.

• Like 3

Perhaps Hesse tried to do some of those things you mentioned, but the board wouldn't let him, much like how they blocked him from getting MetroPCS. It seems there were quite a lot of problems with the old guard at Sprint, yet not with Hesse.

Of course that is always a possibility, but I wouldn't compare the MetroPCS transaction and general day-to-day management of the company.

• Like 1

Sprint Launches Best Unlimited HD Plan Ever

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-launches-best-unlimited-hd-plan-ever.htm

Unless I'm missing it, no mention of anything for current customers... :-(

I like how they still have the fine line of it going to be only available till March 2018

• Like 3

Sprint Launches Best Unlimited HD Plan Ever

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-launches-best-unlimited-hd-plan-ever.htm

Unless I'm missing it, no mention of anything for current customers... :-(

I think current customers can choose the upgraded 60/per line, 2 for 100 and 4 for 160 with HD and 10 GB hotspot or choose VZ or TMO.  It's already a significant upgrade in my opinion. 

Very much on point here.

Hesse was great, but I recall that the network team under him had poor management and execution issues which were evident from Network Vision and how many customers bailed during it. Hesse is partly to blame, but I wonder if the team was really honest with him.

Of course, when Marcelo came in he absolutely cleaned house, especially for the network team, and elevated John Saw to CTO.

• Like 1