Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I remember Milan or someone said back in the day to not use the speed test server in Secacaus, NJ. Didn't put out good results.

They fixed that issue long long ago, using ny yields similar results with worse ping.

Also to add T-Mobile hit 30mb and Sprint 25mb in the same spot.

• Like 2

Verizon during rush hour in NYC..

Imagine six months from now..

Like I said before, maybe this is awesome for more rural areas but big cities not so amazing.

Verizon in NY https://imgur.com/gallery/4gLnD

I have an Iphone 7 plus and I don't suffer any slow speeds in lower Manhattan or midtown during  rush hours. BTW I am rooting for Sprint hard, but  even if Verizon speeds start going to crap they have a lot of $$$$$ to deploy additional macros and small cells. 

• Like 2

Verizon during rush hour in NYC..

Imagine six months from now..

Like I said before, maybe this is awesome for more rural areas but big cities not so amazing.

Verizon in NY https://imgur.com/gallery/4gLnD

Believe it or not, it's still faster than what I have with Sprint and I would be saving money by switching.

Besides, we know ALL carriers have spots like this in every city. Unfortunately for Sprint, these spots appear more often than not due to poor spacing and narrow LTE carriers in mid and low band. B41 will take years to mature as better antennas, UEs, and repeaters enter the market.

• Like 1

I have an Iphone 7 plus and I don't suffer any slow speeds in lower Manhattan or midtown during rush hours. BTW I am rooting for Sprint hard, but even if Verizon speeds start going to crap they have a lot of $$$$$ to deploy additional macros and small cells.

I do not know how much further V can go in NYC.

They have deployed damn near everything under the sun.

I recently heard they have 3xCA live here as well.

Keep in mind NYC is V's hometown.

• Like 2

My Iphone 7 plus speeds on Verizon are consistent everywhere in New York. I can't say the same about Sprint while their service is good in Manhattan there are pockets holes in the rest of the city where they go to crap.

Verizon macros and small cells are fed by the same fiber  that FIOS and the LINKNYC Wifi kios use. The whole city is wired with Verizon fiber so I seriously doubt any carrier will dethrone them here.

• Like 1

It's on 70% of Sprint's LTE sites according to Günther's last AMA...

I dont believe what he said for a second plus he didnt say sites. I know because Im the one who asked him. Exclude 3g only sites and clear sites too and the number is much lower.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My Iphone 7 plus speeds on Verizon are consistent everywhere in New York. I can't say the same about Sprint while their service is good in Manhattan there are pockets holes in the rest of the city where they go to crap.

Verizon macros and small cells are fed by the same fiber  that FIOS and the LINKNYC Wifi kios use. The whole city is wired with Verizon fiber so I seriously doubt any carrier will dethrone them here.

Unfortunately, just did another speed test on V here in the BX, Verizon hit 1mb again here and Sprint hit 55mb.

Location really is everything.

• Like 1

Verizon hasn't completed there fiber buildout in NYC, as a matter of fact, the city sued Verizon for breach of contract. Until Verizon turned around and said OK. Til this day, Verizon is still building fiber in NYC at a snails pace

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Verizon hasn't completed there fiber buildout in NYC, as a matter of fact, the city sued Verizon for breach of contract. Until Verizon turned around and said OK. Til this day, Verizon is still building fiber in NYC at a snails pace

Looks like they are finally assertively completing fiber deployment here, V trucks in what seems like every corner.

Still, I'm shocked by the lack of response on Sprint's end to Verizon Unlimited. I think that Sprint hasn't done a lot in response is the big Sprint related takeaway on the Verizon response. Verizon laid their bomb on the market Sunday afternoon, and so far only T-Mobile has really responded.

AT&T is still dead silent. ????

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

They havent completed the fiber buildout to every building,  but  its  in every street block.

Unfortunately, just did another speed test on V here in the BX, Verizon hit 1mb again here and Sprint hit 55mb.

Location really is everything.

What part of the BX because by Fordham Sprint is absolutely horrendous during the daytime hours? That may be because the university has "Ram Cell" offered by Sprint and it gets overloaded during the academic day. However, I think what SprintNYC is trying to say is there are spots that every carrier has that are not great, the problem is report after report shows Sprint has more of these compared to Verizon. T-Mobile still has even more than Sprint. The problem is both Sprint and T-Mobile have been cherry picking their data to show them as being more competitive on the network front than they really are.

Completely different division within Verizon. However, their fiber deployment is what allowed them to quickly switch to LTE in many markets. You can blame the shareholders for the lack of FiOS expansion. FiOS was not the bread and butter of the company, so shareholders pressed to have more wireless. Verizon is actually divesting most of their fiber business as it is not as profitable as they would like. I still think FiOS is the best home ISP you can buy. It has the best picture quality and fastest speeds you can get in a residential setting. And they are starting to deploy more around NYC and other Northeast cities as they are seeing long-term benefits now. At first many residential buildings were agains even letting Verizon install anything in the building (you can thank many COOP boards for that).

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/business/dealbook/softbank-japan-fortress-investment-group-masayoshi-sun-private-equity.html?_r=0

Interesting... SoftBank buys out Fortress Investment Group... Son's investment in America ramping up?

Add them to the 50,000 jobs tally. Interesting purchase.

I dont believe what he said for a second plus he didnt say sites. I know because Im the one who asked him. Exclude 3g only sites and clear sites too and the number is much lower.

He did say sites:

"70% of our LTE sites have 2.5GHz. We are doing both. A lot of parallel work going on here as you can see..."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/5ipysj/2nd_ama_here_we_come/dba5dup/

I think that's 700,1900 and their base AWS. I was referring to AWS 3 (last incentive auction)

Prep work is under way for the big three. Only tmobile definitely has aws3 equipment deployed.

Att and vzw is deploying aws3 capable antennas atm.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I decided to make the switch to verizon. It was a hard decision because ive been with Sprint for years but this Verizon deal was to good to give up.

I may switch back to sprint in 2 years. Hopefully they lead the pack for 5G

I decided to make the switch to Verizon too for my personal account.  Been with Sprint/Nextel for over 10 years.  I am a shareholder, very hard decision. Sprint only deployed 10x10, 5x5 and swiss cheese B41 in San Diego. At home I get sub 1Mbps on Sprint 10x10, right now 6:30PM PST peak, I am pushing 80Mbps on Verizon.  It is day and night coverage on Verizon, as Verizon is king in San Diego and has huge customer base.

I hope Sprint one day will blanket B41 in San Diego, but not a single permit since early 2016.  In 2019 we will wait and see where Sprint is at with their 5G.  I am holding my shares, we will hope they will do very well with 5G and will likely be switching back.

• Like 5

I have decided to leave Sprint for my line of the ED1500 (4 lines) off my parents' for two reasons: Verizon has unlimited and Verizon is the only carrier that works where I physically found work after college. In rural GA (where I found employment), Verizon is the only carrier. AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile have non-existent coverage. I will end up paying my ETF to go with Verizon, and handing off my Note 5 to my family for the 3rd line not under contract. For them, Sprint is amazing, and works perfectly, no issues. And even for me, it worked perfectly in NYC and decently in State College until I moved to GA. 

My family's remaining ED1500 seems costly for 3 lines. I called Sprint (attempting to see options for cancelling and/or getting ETFs waived) and was offered to be switched to the 40 GB plan for $120/month, waived access fee and waived subsidy fee (for remaining phone subsidies) with unlimited 2G speeds afterwards. Obviously my line will still need to be switched off to Verizon due to lack of coverage. However, I can't imagine any scenario where the remaining lines will go over 40 GB and want to pull the trigger, as it will save us money until the contract expires. 

Will my family lose anything by coming off ED1500 to the 40 GB plan? The rest of the family has 2/3 lines under "promotional" contract until December, 2017 and January, 2018. I am considering switching them over to the 40 GB plan to save money until the contracts expire, then move the lines over to the Verizon unlimited plan with me afterwards. The mathematics does work in my favor until the contract (and phone subsidies) expires.

• Like 1

He did say sites:

"70% of our LTE sites have 2.5GHz. We are doing both. A lot of parallel work going on here as you can see..."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/5ipysj/2nd_ama_here_we_come/dba5dup/

Okay I read it wrong the first time I guess. They could have fooled me though. I see so many towers that dont have it in so many cities that it just sounds like bs too me.

I have decided to leave Sprint for my line of the ED1500 (4 lines) off my parents' for two reasons: Verizon has unlimited and Verizon is the only carrier that works where I physically found work after college. In rural GA (where I found employment), Verizon is the only carrier. AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile have non-existent coverage. I will end up paying my ETF to go with Verizon, and handing off my Note 5 to my family for the 3rd line not under contract. For them, Sprint is amazing, and works perfectly, no issues. And even for me, it worked perfectly in NYC and decently in State College until I moved to GA. 

My family's remaining ED1500 seems costly for 3 lines. I called Sprint (attempting to see options for cancelling and/or getting ETFs waived) and was offered to be switched to the 40 GB plan for $120/month, waived access fee and waived subsidy fee (for remaining phone subsidies) with unlimited 2G speeds afterwards. Obviously my line will still need to be switched off to Verizon due to lack of coverage. However, I can't imagine any scenario where the remaining lines will go over 40 GB and want to pull the trigger, as it will save us money until the contract expires. 

Will my family lose anything by coming off ED1500 to the 40 GB plan? The rest of the family has 2/3 lines under "promotional" contract until December, 2017 and January, 2018. I am considering switching them over to the 40 GB plan to save money until the contracts expire, then move the lines over to the Verizon unlimited plan with me afterwards. The mathematics does work in my favor until the contract (and phone subsidies) expires.

FYI. Verizon covers EFT's if a personal account.  https://www.verizonwireless.com/promos/switch-and-save/

FYI. Verizon covers EFT's if a personal account.  https://www.verizonwireless.com/promos/switch-and-save/

Thanks for the link, however, it doesn't help my current situation. Without getting into personal detail, my ETF is unavoidable and one other ETF will have to paid by us regardless. One of the two lines under contract will no longer stay with us when we switch, so no ETF reimbursement by Verizon there. And I don't want any phone Verizon offers now, and wish to wait until the Note 8 comes out. I plan to use a Nexus 6 I have in the interim (so no ETF for me). Mathematically, I would end up paying $300 ($100 for mine, $200 for the other) in ETFs and then have to finance 2 phones from Verizon. Therefore, the price for getting the Verizon plan by myself (plus my $100 ETF) and switching the other 3 lines to the 40 GB plan saves us about $400 until the contracts expire when you factor in the device payment cost. The offer for the 40 GB plan waives device subsidy fees, and is $120 plus tax. After contract expiry or when the remaining lines want new phones under payment plans, the cost increases above the Verizon unlimited plan. As I said before, I can't see the remaining lines using over 40 GB of data. 

Hence I was asking about certain caveats of the 40 GB plan or if there were any losses to be considered, other than no unlimited data. 

Edit: I wouldn't say my situation is like most people I read on Reddit or here switching to Verizon now. I still think Sprint will end up hurting badly unless they attract their legacy customers. My situation is so complex that mathematically it makes sense to downgrade to tiered data. Most people would NOT be willing to do this in my opinion.