Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2017/02/01/sprint-exec-merger-may-be-necessary-to-compete.html [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That did not take long, did it? Barely 10 days into the Trump administration and less than two months after promising to invest $100B, they're planting the seeds. As soon as the auction is over, I foresee a formal merger offer :)

That did not take long, did it? Barely 10 days into the Trump administration and less than two months after promising to invest $100B, they're planting the seeds. As soon as the auction is over, I foresee a formal merger offer :).

Sprint wants the merge plain and simple. Everything is starting to add up it seems like. But if it hold true the question is with who?

Sprint wants the merge plain and simple. Everything is starting to add up it seems like. But if it hold true the question is with who?

T-Mobile. It's the worst kept secret in the industry. Both sides have flirted for so long.
  • Like 1

I'm beginning to wonder if Verizon might decide to intervene in an attempt by Softbank to get T-Mobile. I'm pretty confident AT&T will, but as I've been saying until now that I doubt Verizon will, I'm starting to think otherwise since the talk began regarding Verizon looking into Charter. I heavily agreed with analysts mentioning Comcast, as Verizon has been close with them on many occassions, but now knowing they are looking elsewhere makes me wonder.

Still, the best thing to happen is AT&T getting T-Mobile, Verizon getting Dish and Comcast, while Softbank/Sprint gets Charrter.

Part of the reason for the merger is Sprint is spectrum constrained more generally in Puerto Rico. They didn't have any band 41 spectrum until recently, but I think they only have enough contiguous for 2 carriers still. Their PCS spectrum is a fragmented mess and they don't have enough 800 Mhz to even roll out 3x3 LTE due to the spectrum squatters. They have 2.5x2.5 of 800Mhz spectrum. The merger adds both customers and coverage, plus compatible PCS spectrum as they are running a CDMA network over PCS. Sprint should be able to cobble the combined PCS spectrum together to offer both CDMA and LTE over their PCS assets, which they will need given the lack of 800Mhz spectrum in PR. Plus the larger combined customer base will help make the PR market more profitable for the combined company.

• Like 3

Part of the reason for the merger is Sprint is spectrum constrained more generally in Puerto Rico. They didn't have any band 41 spectrum until recently, but I think they only have enough contiguous for 2 carriers still. Their PCS spectrum is a fragmented mess and they don't have enough 800 Mhz to even roll out 3x3 LTE due to the spectrum squatters. They have 2.5x2.5 of 800Mhz spectrum. The merger adds both customers and coverage, plus compatible PCS spectrum as they are running a CDMA network over PCS. Sprint should be able to cobble the combined PCS spectrum together to offer both CDMA and LTE over their PCS assets, which they will need given the lack of 800Mhz spectrum in PR. Plus the larger combined customer base will help make the PR market more profitable for the combined company.

Doesn't Open Mobile own 700 MHz B in Puerto Rico and some AWS? I don't know if Sprint would keep the spectrum or swap it. Newer phones do support both bands, but it just isn't Sprint's modus operandi.

Yeah as far as I can tell from the ULS (which, knowing the ULS, may well be inaccurate or incomplete eh as AJ points out on the next page the database itself is accurate and I probably just don't know how to searchSprint only has PCS D and G in PR. So a 5x5 of LTE and 3 CDMA carriers. Which isn't even enough for a lot of rural small-medium towns in the continental US these days.

They could definitely use the spectrum. It looks like Open Mobile has PCS C1 (lucky coincidence I guess) covering both BTAs, so that would mean the possibility of a 10x10 with the adjacent G block and an additional CDMA carrier tacked on the bottom, bringing their operating total to 1x800, 4 PCS CDMA carriers, a 10x10 in PCS, and whatever they've got in B41, which isn't bad all things considered.

Oh and I didn't check 700 so anything there is bonus if Sprint decides to actually deploy it. But if I were them I'd trade it with AT&T or T-Mobile for more PCS.

Edit: reading the PR thread it's B13, and given Sprint's lack of 800 LTE there maybe they should consider adding B13 to devices going forward and keeping it up? Eh.

I don't see any AWS under PRWireless or Open Mobile.

Yeah as far as I can tell from the ULS (which, knowing the ULS, may well be inaccurate or incomplete)...

No.  Point to an instance of the FCC ULS being "inaccurate or incomplete."  It is the parent database for other resources, such as the Spectrum Dashboard.  But it is not at fault when the child does not listen to the parent.

AJ

No.  Point to an instance of the FCC ULS being "inaccurate or incomplete."  It is the parent database for other resources, such as the Spectrum Dashboard.  But it is not at fault when the child does not listen to the parent.

AJ

Sorry, that was poorly worded. There was an instance where my searches for PCS licenses in Mecklenburg County NC (only search criteria being frequency range 1930-2000 and the state-county restriction) consistently didn't turn up WQCS421. So really my beef is with the search function.

But point understood.

Sorry, that was poorly worded. There was an instance where my searches for PCS licenses in Mecklenburg County NC (only search criteria being frequency range 1930-2000 and the state-county restriction) consistently didn't turn up WQCS421. So really my beef is with the search function.

You experienced an ID10T error.

Just teasing...

AJ

• Like 1

There was an instance where my searches for PCS licenses in Mecklenburg County NC (only search criteria being frequency range 1930-2000 and the state-county restriction) consistently didn't turn up WQCS421. So really my beef is with the search function.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchMarket.jsp

Use the Market Based search.  Always know your Market Type (CMA, MTA, etc.) and Radio Service Code (BR, CW, etc.) for a more succinct search.

AJ

• Like 1

I'm beginning to wonder if Verizon might decide to intervene in an attempt by Softbank to get T-Mobile. I'm pretty confident AT&T will, but as I've been saying until now that I doubt Verizon will, I'm starting to think otherwise since the talk began regarding Verizon looking into Charter. I heavily agreed with analysts mentioning Comcast, as Verizon has been close with them on many occassions, but now knowing they are looking elsewhere makes me wonder.

Still, the best thing to happen is AT&T getting T-Mobile, Verizon getting Dish and Comcast, while Softbank/Sprint gets Charrter.

You have some of the strangest ideas when it comes to mergers. I know you have been pumping up a T-Mobile and AT&T merger for a long time, but I honestly do not think it will happen. Regulators, yes even in this administration, might blink again. Verizon getting Dish and Comcast?? That is just insane. Comcast is already massive along with Verizon. And I do not see SoftBank necessarily getting into the cable business in the USA. Basically under your ideas we would have a big cellular company, AT&T and T-Mobile merged company; one absolutely MASSIVE telecommunications (cable, internet, cellular, satellite, and television) under the merged Verizon, Dish, and Comcast; and one very large telecommunications company with the SoftBank/Sprint and Charter merge. That would be so consumer hostile I wouldn't even want to live in the country anymore.
  • Like 12

Let's see: T-Mobile's Market Cap is 50.4B + 10% premium = around $56B + net debt of $25B = $81B. Even if it's 50% cash and 50%equity they still have to raise about $40B. Not pocket change! I think it's much easier to merge.

Can someone help me locate permits? I have no idea how to search for Sprint specifically. Below are links for my area.

Please help.

Much appreciated

http://permittingservices.montgomerycountymd.gov/DPS/general/Home.aspx

http://www.gaithersburgmd.gov/services/permits-and-inspections

Can someone help me locate permits? I have no idea how to search for Sprint specifically. Below are links for my area.

Please help.

Much appreciated

It looks like you may have to request a public records search if there's no permit search capability:

http://www.gaithersburgmd.gov/government/public-information-requests

Please help.

Much appreciated

Montgomery County's permit search doesn't provide terribly helpful information.  I would know, I've dug into it.

The closest I can get you to useful information is this:

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/cable/towers/home.html

- Trip

• Like 1

Montgomery County's permit search doesn't provide terribly helpful information. I would know, I've dug into it.

The closest I can get you to useful information is this:

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/cable/towers/home.html

- Trip

The interactive map is perfect, only problem is...idk if the mobilitie apps are for Sprint :(

You have some of the strangest ideas when it comes to mergers. I know you have been pumping up a T-Mobile and AT&T merger for a long time, but I honestly do not think it will happen. Regulators, yes even in this administration, might blink again. Verizon getting Dish and Comcast?? That is just insane. Comcast is already massive along with Verizon. And I do not see SoftBank necessarily getting into the cable business in the USA. Basically under your ideas we would have a big cellular company, AT&T and T-Mobile merged company; one absolutely MASSIVE telecommunications (cable, internet, cellular, satellite, and television) under the merged Verizon, Dish, and Comcast; and one very large telecommunications company with the SoftBank/Sprint and Charter merge. That would be so consumer hostile I wouldn't even want to live in the country anymore.

Thing is, there already are plenty of people saying things are so hostile in this country now, that they are protesting it in different ways, just as they have different reasons and different claims for those reasons. Those protesting corporate power, already realize how hostile it is, and a major reason they are protesting it, is because they are trying very hard to change it, so that they don't have to feel like they don't want to live here in the U.S. anymore. As it is, many people have said they don't, because they are terrified of Trump. Not to get political here, and everyone has their own opinion, though I think we can all "silently" agree that regardless of our opinions, it is sad people are made to feel this way by a politician.

Yet, this leads to a point I know many people seem to not want to acknowledge, and that is these corporations are just as powerful in many ways as the politicians they fear, worry about, dislike, hate, protest, etc. When they get around to thinking about it and admitting it in some way, even to themselves, then they an start to open up to the notion of whether their interests are more important to the politicians, or are business interests more important. This country being setup into two political parties that are divided on this issue to a degree. Democrats tend to side more with consumer interests, while Republicans tend to side more with business interests The country now is being led by those siding with business interests.

Regardless of the political climate though, there is one thing that does not change, and that is the goal for every business to make money and to grow larger. The way which that best is done is through mergers and acquisitions. They will try to do that as best as they can regardless of politics, but of course its a lot easier when their is a political landscape which favors them, and certainly this is it. From all reports lately, it seems so long as businesses agree to stay in the U.S. and grow here, they will be favored in their quest for expansion through m&a.

Now, to the AT&T deal I've been talking about. I'm not saying its just going to happen, with AT&T going after T-Mobile. I think AT&T is going to wait and see, watching if Softbank does make a move for T-Mobile. If they do, then yes, I believe AT&T will try again for T-Mobile, as they have a lot to lose from a combined Softbank/Sprint/T-Mobile. So does Verizon, though I expect they won't try for T-Mobile (not saying it isn't possible, just my opinion for now that they won't). Verizon ought to try for Comcast, as many analysts have talked about, and I think its possible for them to get Dish along the way, competing with AT&T's combined Uverse/Directv service, which is landline internet, landline television, and satellite service. However, my opinion isn't as confident in Dish going to Verizon as I am about AT&T going for T-Mobile with a Softbank bid for T-Mobile. I see it possible for AT&T to try merging satellite service by going after Dish as an alternative if they do not go after T-Mobile, or possibly Softbank going for Dish.