Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Negative cash flow is after interest expense of 600 million. 

Positive operating cash flow of 300 million. 

Liquidity of 6B on the books and lines of credit for another 3B.  They have 3B in debt due in 2017.   The way this is going, Sprint will be positive FCF in 2 quarters. 

Damn, that's a lot of debt coming due! No wonder they are not spending a lot on capex.

• Like 1

Negative cash flow is after interest expense of 600 million. 

Positive operating cash flow of 300 million. 

Liquidity of 6B on the books and lines of credit for another 3B.  They have 3B in debt due in 2017.   The way this is going, Sprint will be positive FCF in 2 quarters. 

Sprint just has to keep paying this down and it will only get easier as as the number drops further and Sprint's credit rating improves.

Sprint is on a good path here. It's easy to forget what a deep hole the company was in.

• Like 1

Damn, that's a lot of debt coming due! No wonder they are not spending a lot on capex.

They have enough cash to spend more on Capex.  It's a matter of spending it to their strategy.  Marcelo has said just because they have money, that means they are going to spend like they did in the past.  It's a matter of spending it wisely (better ROI).  That's why they have been using more diverse equipment choices (small cells), rather than just put Sprint gear on every tower. 

Wholesale added 673k. Kinda balances things a bit. But prepaid is something I think they need to do some brand consolidation.

I definitely agree.

I've been saying for awhile now that Sprint ought to consolidate Boost and Virgin into a single entity. I think that would help, along with strong marketing for that prepaid brand. Give Cricket-style unlimited data service for $55 per month, and they'll have a strong foundation for a rate plan.

Of course that kinda rate plan might interfere with what they are offering on the postpaid side, with the slightly more expensive pricing and more limiting music and video streaming.

• Like 1

I drove past a tower today. The Sprint sectors before only had the dual band 26/25 antenna. Well today a guy was up in it and there was a new antenna beside the dual band. However it is half the height. Any clue what antenna it would be? Sry no pix but in East TN market.

any input on this... I think this is really good overall of the sprint direction on the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think cutting down on Capex is a good thing. HPUE can only help so much. It definitely won't help with the massive load most towers see on B26. I'm also skeptical about how much HPUE will really extend the range of B41.

If Sprint really is slowing down network development, then they are probably taking a 'wait and see' approach. I'm sure they are eyeing a merger of some sort with T-Mobile. No sense in spending money if you're just going to have to rip and replace small cells to add B4 support. If Sprint was really interested in saving money, they would have never bought into a failing music streaming service.

• Like 4

I don't think cutting down on Capex is a good thing. HPUE can only help so much. It definitely won't help with the massive load most towers see on B26. I'm also skeptical about how much HPUE will really extend the range of B41.

If Sprint really is slowing down network development, then they are probably taking a 'wait and see' approach. I'm sure they are eyeing a merger of some sort with T-Mobile. No sense in spending money if you're just going to have to rip and replace small cells to add B4 support. If Sprint was really interested in saving money, they would have never bought into a failing music streaming service.

I agree , but if sprint wants a merger. Then why are they expanding their footprint between 500 to 1000 store and adding 5000 thousand employees

I agree , but if sprint wants a merger. Then why are they expanding their footprint between 500 to 1000 store and adding 5000 thousand employees

Stores could easily be rebranded, or the Sprint name could easily be kept. This speculated merger (and it's just that, a speculation) could go multiple ways. Maybe T-Mobile becomes a prepaid brand while Sprint focuses on post-paid, vice versa (ala At&t buying Cricket).

As for the employees, they could easily stay on after the merger if Sprint lays off T-Mobile office staff (but then again letting go of Legere would be stupid). Softbank promised new jobs, but never said anything about buying and laying off other properties.

Stores could easily be rebranded, or the Sprint name could easily be kept. This speculated merger (and it's just that, a speculation) could go multiple ways. Maybe T-Mobile becomes a prepaid brand while Sprint focuses on post-paid, vice versa (ala At&t buying Cricket).

As for the employees, they could easily stay on after the merger if Sprint lays off T-Mobile office staff (but then again letting go of Legere would be stupid). Softbank promised new jobs, but never said anything about buying and laying off other properties.

If that were to happen.. often times T-Mobile and sprint stores are really close to each other. If they merger would they keep stores that close to each open and if not the amount to break all those leases will be crazy

I wanna see proof of that.

go do some research and read the earnings call transcript and news about Sprint. don't call for proof without doing your own research. 

Promises, promises. In 3-4 quarters we will see how many stores have been opened. I have been promised densification and nothing has happened besides Manhattan.

• Like 5

Promises, promises. In 3-4 quarters we will see how many stores have been opened. I have been promised densification and nothing has happened besides Manhattan.

Exactly, The store situation in NJ is pretty pathetic in my area. But then again why bother to add stores when you don't really care about the market that much? Haven't seen any new sites in my area in years. I used to complain to Sprint endlessly about all the coverage holes, in densely populated areas no less, but now I don't even bother. After seven years it's time to move on. The promises Softbank made when they purchased Sprint were nothing but hot air. 

• Like 1

You obviously have no clue whats going on. Check the premiere threads and you will see how many permits and installs are going up including small cells all over.

• Like 3

Other markets have reported small cell installs ramping up too. Also small cells are being put up outside of Manhattan in the NYC market.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The worst part is that before the Manhattan densification, most NYC users here claimed Sprint was already good. A lot of them were the first to defend the propagation issues B41 faces by using Manhattan as an example.

So why spend resources in a market that didn't really need it? San Diego or San Francisco could have used those resources over Manhattan right off the top of my head. Those markets are terrible Sprint markets.

It's just another questionable move by KC HQ. If Son ends up buying T-Mobile, he needs to pull out of KC and just stick with the Seattle HQ.

• Like 4

The worst part is that before the Manhattan densification, most NYC users here claimed Sprint was already good. A lot of them were the first to defend the propagation issues B41 faces by using Manhattan as an example.

So why spend resources in a market that didn't really need it? San Diego or San Francisco could have used those resources over Manhattan right off the top of my head. Those markets are terrible Sprint markets.

It's just another questionable move by KC HQ. If Son ends up buying T-Mobile, he needs to pull out of KC and just stick with the Seattle HQ.

Maybe because the permitting process went faster? Maybe because Sprint already had small cells there from the Clearwire days? Idk. It's not like NYC was the first city to get small cells. It just moved the fastest there.

I have a small cell up in my little town. Often times u don't realize it because u have to be looking at the top of telephone poles while driving...

I have also seen mini macros and small cells in the city I frequent. They are working on them just not as fast as we want.

For what it's worth, it appears Sprint has finally or is in the final stages of converting the Clear small cells in SF to B41. Seemingly using Nokia pico cells, with existing antennas and enclosures. 2 carriers. We've found 25 or so so far from logs. The original density was insane in some residential areas, and they seem to have eliminated a decent number of them (according to other Sources on where small cells are/will be placed).

These are in neighborhoods that are awful for Sprint, barely even any 1x coverage. But also all highly residential, very NIMBY. So it doesn't help for most of the city and the congestion issues there. They haven't even rolled out the third carrier yet due to a spectrum squatter right in the middle of the B41 allocation.

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 5

Other markets have reported small cell installs ramping up too. Also small cells are being put up outside of Manhattan in the NYC market.

The CAPEX situation is pretty alarming. I have stopped recommending sprint. In my area thy are letting the network go and the cuts in CAPEX signal they are ok with that.

• Like 3