Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I don't use Reddit all like that but can someone explain to me why they are so dramatic over there? They have the topic up about the Tidal fiasco and the comments are TEW much. Folks saying their going to be bankrupt, people will be porting out and everything under the sun.

Yes this purchase was very left and has a lot of unanswered questions and that money could be better used on the network we can all agree on. There's just no way possible that Sprint would be that dumb to throw away money in a streaming service that is struggling. I feel there's more to this. Who's to say that that 200 mil was already set aside or hell SB purchased it but is letting Sprint take the credit. Who's to say honestly. I just don't see them cutting into their money for the network for Tidal but I don't put nothing past anyone.

I'm interested into seeing where this goes and kind of excited in what deal Sprint users will get out of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use Reddit all like that but can someone explain to me why they are so dramatic over there? They have the topic up about the Tidal fiasco and the comments are TEW much. Folks saying their going to be bankrupt, people will be porting out and everything under the sun.

Mob mentality. Every forum has it (even this one).
  • Like 1

Yes this purchase was very left and has a lot of unanswered questions and that money could be better used on the network we can all agree on. There's just no way possible that Sprint would be that dumb to throw away money in a streaming service that is struggling. I feel there's more to this. Who's to say that that 200 mil was already set aside or hell SB purchased it but is letting Sprint take the credit. Who's to say honestly. I just don't see them cutting into their money for the network for Tidal but I don't put nothing past anyone.

I'm interested into seeing where this goes and kind of excited in what deal Sprint users will get out of this.

People are being so dramatic.

I don't use Reddit all like that but can someone explain to me why they are so dramatic over there?

Me neither. And people are talking about selling their stock too. What people do with their money is none of my business but as long as that merger rumor is floating about, T-Mobile and Sprint's stock will stay artificially super high. Stock markets have been reacting  positively to the news so who knows.

Why would Apple buy them?

It's the artists that are on Tidal.  They are also part owners. 

You buy their partnership.  Think MJ or Kobe, but on a smaller scale with many of those nba stars in one place. 

New FCC Chairman incoming. He has me deeply concerned about the future of wireless. http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/23/14338522/fcc-chairman-ajit-pai-donald-trump-appointment

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that he's a former attorney for Verizon.
  • Like 1

I read somewhere that he's a former attorney for Verizon.

Yep. Associate general counsel from '01 to '03. He wants to "take a weed whacker" to net neutrality and FCC consumer protection policy in general. (His words, not mine. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/fcc-to-be-led-by-ajit-pai-staunch-opponent-of-consumer-protection-rules/)

I'm not really worried about wireless since aside from 700 open access requirements and spectrum caps the regulations there are already pretty barebones. (And it can be argued that between the big four there's meaningful competition.) But for wired (where I, in suburban south Charlotte, 17th most populated city in the nation, have only one option that meets the current definition of broadband) on the other hand...

Edit: from the article:

Pai consistently opposed consumer protection regulations during the three-year chairmanship of Democrat Tom Wheeler, who left the FCC today. Pai opposed net neutrality rules and, after Trump's victory, said those rules' "days are numbered." He also opposed lower rate caps for inmate calling, rules designed to give TV consumers cheaper alternatives to rented set-top boxes, rules that protect the privacy of ISP customers, an update to the 31-year-old Lifeline phone subsidy program to help poor people buy Internet service, a speed increase in the FCC's broadband standard, an investigation of AT&T and Verizon charging competitors for data cap exemptions, and preemption of state laws that restrict expansion of municipal broadband.

• Like 1

New FCC Chairman incoming. He has me deeply concerned about the future of wireless. http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/23/14338522/fcc-chairman-ajit-pai-donald-trump-appointment

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Well, the good news is that he seems to support mergers, which means if Softbank/Sprint decides to persue a takeover of T-Mobile, granted no competition comes along, it doesn't appear as though he'd stop it, thus creating a much larger, stronger Sprint.

Of course the news of him being a former attorney fo Verizon, may mean favoring the largest of corporations here in the U.S. and quite likely might favor an attempt by either Verizon or AT&T to capture T-Mobile. Although, my viewpoint is Verizon is less interested in T-Mobile and would rather merge with Comcast or buy Dish, while AT&T gets an easier try this time around at finally getting T-Mobile.

Quite exciting!

No he is the former government legal affairs lawyer from Sprint, not Verizon.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Well, that changes a bit of what I said in response to the mention of him previously working as an attorney on behalf of Verizon. So long as he didn't carry any bitterness with him from that career position over to the FCC, he should be just fine.

Plus, if he loved working with Sprint, then that might mean quite a benefit for Softbank's attempt in growing Sprint by purchasing T-Mobile and merging it into Sprint.

Well, that changes a bit of what I said in response to the mention of him previously working as an attorney on behalf of Verizon. So long as he didn't carry any bitterness with him from that career position over to the FCC, he should be just fine.

Plus, if he loved working with Sprint, then that might mean quite a benefit for Softbank's attempt in growing Sprint by purchasing T-Mobile and merging it into Sprint.

Except that he didn't work for Sprint, he worked for Verizon. The previously linked article is pretty clear about this.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

• Like 3

Except that he didn't work for Sprint, he worked for Verizon. The previously linked article is pretty clear about this.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Perhaps in this life he worked for Verizon, and a split personality/doppelganger worked for Sprint, and their plan is for the two to merge and dominate wireless!????

The prizes will again be snatched by those with the deepest pockets. Imagine Verizon buying Dish and keeping all of Dish's spectrum- and then imagine them taking a run at the remaining regionals and then comcast. The sky is the limit, much like the era when the big two gobbled up all of the low band spectrum

The fact that Comcast said the following should be a clear indication Pai's appointment is bad for consumers. The last thing Comcast is interested in is things that benefit consumers.

Comcast Chief Diversity Officer David Cohen

We commend [Pai’s] tireless efforts to develop and support policies that benefit American consumers and spur greater investment and innovation in broadband technologies to connect all Americans and drive job creation. This is a terrific appointment for the American consumer and the companies the FCC regulates and we look forward to continuing to work with Chairman Pai in his new role.

The prizes will again be snatched by those with the deepest pockets. Imagine Verizon buying Dish and keeping all of Dish's spectrum- and then imagine them taking a run at the remaining regionals and then comcast. The sky is the limit, much like the era when the big two gobbled up all of the low band spectrum

I see Verizon buying Dish and a T-Mobile/Sprint merger then Comcast and the CableCos aligning with it as far as having it be a wireless media outlet for the content.

Edited by bigsnake49

My prediction is Verizon and Dish, Comcast and Tmo, and Sprint and Charter. 

Please explain why combining with Charter would help Sprint.   Most Sprint  customers do not live anywhere near Charter.

• Like 1

I see Verizon buying Dish and a T-Mobile/Sprint merger then Comcast and the CableCos aligning with it as far as having it be a wireless media outlet for the content.

Im not comfortable or qualified to even back up any fantasy scenarios any of us might dream up. My point is what happens may defy even our least realistic expectations under this guy and an administration which operates with personal preference and billionaire logic.

• Like 1

Please explain why combining with Charter would help Sprint.   Most Sprint  customers do not live anywhere near Charter.

What do you mean most Sprint customers do not live anywhere near Charter? Charter owns TWC and Brighthouse aka Spectrum network.  Do you live in Canada? The wireline-wireless synergy is obvious and a good price point for Softbank to acquire. Tmo could only give them scale, but Charter gives them a strong backbone to build out a 5G network with less $. 

I live in Virginia and you will not see Charter here in the Commonwealth, it is mostly Comcast, Cox, Verizon Fios, maybe some AT&T here and there, but no Charter. So the question stands. Charter isn't all that big here.

fc15ab28835f9ed1fa92881a902f6b48.jpg

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk