Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I had Sprint on a few occasions while my mother kept our T-Mobile account active throughout the years. My tries using Sprint were prior to carrier aggregation being activated. I ended up leaving Sprint due to both device issues and bad signal reception/speed issues while connected to PCS.

Granted, I loved having Sprint when I was connected to band 41, especially during rush hour when it ran multiple times better than T-Mobile did for me during rush hour. However, connecting to the 5x5 PCS at the time was a miserable experience, even when it dropped to 3G. As many people here mention often, Sprint would be amazing if only they got band 41 on more towers. I'm in the Chicago area where Sprint is known to be great at, and my experience with Sprint was prior to the 10x10 PCS upgrade from 5x5 and before carrier aggregation, so it might be much better here now.

Yet, I couldn't resist the offers mentioned here by a few members of AT&T's 22% off deal using the AT&T Unlimited Data plan. I may try Sprint again in the future though if it merges with one of its competitors or gets band 41 up alot more.

22% off deal? I'm considering switching to Att as well just for the coverage I need where I work as well as the simultaneous voice and data option... I just wish sprint offered that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22% off deal? I'm considering switching to Att as well just for the coverage I need where I work as well as the simultaneous voice and data option... I just wish sprint offered that

An S4GRU member wrote awhile back about how he joined the Freelancers Union https://www.freelancersunion.org/discounts/detail/ATT

So, I joined it, then my mother worked around talking with the right person at AT&T who recognized it in the system properly (it needs to be sought through a certain way not requiring a business identification, since this is a membership club, not a business). Once we got verified, we ported both our numbers out of T-Mobile over to the AT&T Unlimited Plan. We even got AT&T to give us the cheapest uVerse package at $20 monthly back then (the uFamily package). The uFamily might be more now, but you could get them to give you a bundle deal my mother and I have with the uVerse 18mbps home internet with uFamily for $60 monthly. Itis worth trying out, as AT&T service is really great, at least here in the Chicago area.

We even left a pretty amazing deal we had with T-Mobile for this, which was the T-Mobile Select Choice Value plan at $45 monthly per line complete unlimited data and everything. T-Mobile is just that bad around here, with AT&T being sooo much better!

We can only hope. Sprint has deployed 3CA on sites in DC. Sprint is also bringing 3CA COWs for additional capacity.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/sprints-dc-network-ready-to-support-a-great-american-tradition-the-presidential-inauguration.htm

Hopefully there's a peripheral benefit for 2CA devices from the third carrier being deployed.

Have we confirmed that though? Based on the logs we discussed on the local thread, I don't know if we can confirm a third carrier is live in the District.

• Like 1

Well I'm interested in how the carriers are going to hold up for the Farewell Obama event. My friend who's covering the event for his job has T-Mobile and he said his phone is working in a way. I hope sprint stays afloat.

• Like 1

Have we confirmed that though? Based on the logs we discussed on the local thread, I don't know if we can confirm a third carrier is live in the District.

Sprint's Press Release is pretty emphatic about 3CA being live on sites for the Inauguration and 3CA COWs being brought in. Either it's doing a "press release" deployment, or it's really happening...

Sprint still has 10 days to light up 3CA and push an update to 3CA-capable devices. It's cutting it pretty close though by now.

• Like 1

Sprint's Press Release is pretty emphatic about 3CA being live on sites for the Inauguration and 3CA COWs being brought in. Either it's doing a "press release" deployment, or it's really happening...

Sprint still has 10 days to light up 3CA and push an update to 3CA-capable devices. It's cutting it pretty close though by now.

Any news on this front about phone updates?

iOS supposed to be getting 10.3 soon.....

• Like 1

Yeah, really close.  I've been watching for a third carrier to appear and so far, nothing.  Meanwhile, several AT&T sites near the Mall that I walk by daily now have 700/PCS/AWS/WCS all running (done in the past few weeks), Verizon turned on PCS in the Metro stations recently, and just today I spotted some T-Mobile GCIs I can't identify.  No changes with Sprint.

- Trip

• Like 4

How did you get the software upgrade on the S7 already?

??? I had the beta and have been doing updates the last 2 days. Both ##update# and through the menus the last couple days. I didn't think they did anything until I seen this.

Sprint's DC Network Update for the Inauguration:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/sprints-dc-network-ready-to-support-a-great-american-tradition-the-presidential-inauguration.htm

Sprint says that for 12 months its team has been on the ground working hard to add additional network coverage and capacity in preparation for January 20.

Sprint says it's doubled the capacity of its 1.9 GHz cell sites around the National Mall and DC Metro stations.

Sprint is also using carrier aggregation on its 2.5 GHz cell sites for even faster data speeds on capable devices.

Sprint says it's using two- and three-channel carrier aggregation on 2.5 GHz cell sites in the area, and bringing in Cells On Wheels (COWs) with three-channel carrier aggregation to provide additional temporary capacity at various high-traffic locations extending from Lincoln Memorial to the U.S. Capitol.

Sprint says these efforts cap off two years of extensive work by the team in D.C. lighting up new cell sites, adding more capacity with additional spectrum and new technologies such as carrier aggregation and antenna beamforming, as well as optimizing the performance of each and every cell site along the way.

Sprint also says the team invested heavily in D.C. ahead of Pope Francis’ visit 16 months ago, including upgrading the wireless systems within many high-traffic public venues across the area.

So we'll see how it goes. Hopefully more devices receive an update so they can actually access 3xCA.

I'm guessing the 2xCA sites are more likely to be the Dual Mode Clearwire Gear and the 3xCA sites are replacement upgrades?

3xCA COWs? Didn't know Sprint had these. Would Sprint be using microwave backhaul for it?

I'm a proud Sprint customer for 17+ years now.

Bull f'n shit

??? I had the beta and have been doing updates the last 2 days. Both ##update# and through the menus the last couple days. I didn't think they did anything until I seen this.

Do you know if the 3xCA it shows is actually using all 3 carriers? The fields are populated, which is a big step. The question is is the third being used... NSG would show throughput on each carrier if you're rooted and did a speed test.

Sent from my Pixel XL

On my way to work this morning, I locked my Verizon phone on Band 2 to see if more PCS has been added leading up to the inauguration.  I spotted it in Smithsonian Metro for the first time, but when I exited the station, I saw this:

http://imgur.com/O9m1brY

I don't know if it's a COW or a new permanent small cell.  If the weather holds out one day of next week (I won't be working Mon or Fri), I'll try to wander around and see what I can see.

Still no evidence of B41 third carrier.

- Trip

• Like 1

Do you know if the 3xCA it shows is actually using all 3 carriers? The fields are populated, which is a big step. The question is is the third being used... NSG would show throughput on each carrier if you're rooted and did a speed test.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Not rooted I am afraid to trip KNOX. I have sent the phone in a couple times to get fixed.

With it being Central PA market I was just motivating other people in Samsung markets to check their phones. I will check shentel and Pittsburgh markets hopefully tonight or tommorrow.