Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

While technically true, I do not believe most people would settle for 12mbs internet vs 300+ offered by FIOS and Cable companies.

Actually U-Verse can be good! The issue is its fiber optic to a node, then copper line to the house. If it was coax, or fiber to the premises/home like FiOS, they could be really competitive. But they're an ISP, so competition wouldn't happen. ????

Actually U-Verse can be good! The issue is its fiber optic to a node, then copper line to the house. If it was coax, or fiber to the premises/home like FiOS, they could be really competitive. But they're an ISP, so competition wouldn't happen. ????

Forgetting they have something called Gigapower?

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Here's a history lesson for you Arysyn, since I know you'd appreciate it - the New York Telephone Company merged to become Verizon. Verizon controls all the copper lines here, and FiOS is their initiative to replace all copper with fiber optic.

FiOS 'was' their initiative to replace all copper with fiber. Wall Street did not like this plan believing that more revenue can be generated from wireless. Hence we are starting to see them sell off the landline division in many areas and slowing or terminating FiOS expansion in others. However, they did start expanding once again in Boston, but this is most likely due to political pressure. 

Here's a history lesson for you Arysyn, since I know you'd appreciate it - the New York Telephone Company merged to become Verizon. Verizon controls all the copper lines here, and FiOS is their initiative to replace all copper with fiber optic.

I know I wish Fios was available here in the Chicago area. Where I'm at, AT&T GigaPower isn't even here, and the highest speed of Uverse for this part of the neighborhood is 18mbps. My aunt, who lives only a few blocks away, can get up to 45mbps on Uverse, but still doesn't compare to Fios. There is Comcast Xfinity, and I may have to get that eventually, but what I don't like is how with cable, the speeds are affected by neighbors' usage. Then again, already I have speed issues with Uverse at 18mbps, which ought to work fine for 1080p, yet there sometimes is buffering, and can be quite bad too, especially using more than one device at a time.

I'd only recommend Uverse over Fios to people who weren't using much home internet and television, mostly just wanting a good deal on wireless, as Uverse Ubasic television and 18mbps internet at the $60 combo rate I get, is a good deal in that regard. However, any more money than that on television and internet through AT&T when Fios is available, and/or home internet is important enough to need better than decent speed, Fios certainly sounds better.

I know I wish Fios was available here in the Chicago area. Where I'm at, AT&T GigaPower isn't even here, and the highest speed of Uverse for this part of the neighborhood is 18mbps. My aunt, who lives only a few blocks away, can get up to 45mbps on Uverse, but still doesn't compare to Fios. There is Comcast Xfinity, and I may have to get that eventually, but what I don't like is how with cable, the speeds are affected by neighbors' usage. Then again, already I have speed issues with Uverse at 18mbps, which ought to work fine for 1080p, yet there sometimes is buffering, and can be quite bad too, especially using more than one device at a time.

I'd only recommend Uverse over Fios to people who weren't using much home internet and television, mostly just wanting a good deal on wireless, as Uverse Ubasic television and 18mbps internet at the $60 combo rate I get, is a good deal in that regard. However, any more money than that on television and internet through AT&T when Fios is available, and/or home internet is important enough to need better than decent speed, Fios certainly sounds better.

AT&T gigapower is really only deployed in greenfield housing developments. Ie where no copper exists, so they install fiber. My old neighbor moved to a development about 5 miles from here that can get gigabit.

What you say about cable internet is mostly moot these days with DOCSIS 3.0 (and 3.1 coming now). We've had Comcast Internet for 3.5 years and never experienced a slow down. I just got us upgraded to Extreme 150 and we hit 180/23 all the time. Also never had a single buffering issue with 1080P Netflix since they started paying Comcast for a direct connection to their network. Had issues prior to that, as well as with Uverse when we had that.

• Like 2

but what I don't like is how with cable, the speeds are affected by neighbors' usage. 

Echoing what gusherb said, this really is a non-issue if your network is set up correctly with the correct technologies in place. I have Time Warner Cable's 300/20 plan and regularly get 350+ down and 25+ up, at all times of the day, with my neighbors also being on TWC.

-Anthony

• Like 2

AT&T gigapower is really only deployed in greenfield housing developments. Ie where no copper exists, so they install fiber. My old neighbor moved to a development about 5 miles from here that can get gigabit.

What you say about cable internet is mostly moot these days with DOCSIS 3.0 (and 3.1 coming now). We've had Comcast Internet for 3.5 years and never experienced a slow down. I just got us upgraded to Extreme 150 and we hit 180/23 all the time. Also never had a single buffering issue with 1080P Netflix since they started paying Comcast for a direct connection to their network. Had issues prior to that, as well as with Uverse when we had that.

Nope, brownfield deployment. Trying to replace all their copper so they can get rid of their RT related electricity bills. It'll take years, but there is hope.

• Like 1

Likewise, my local one horse cable company in Chester can usually get 110 Mbps on a 100 Mbps plan. I can't remember the last time I was connected to 5 GHz wifi and didn't test over 100 Mbps. 

Echoing what gusherb said, this really is a non-issue if your network is set up correctly with the correct technologies in place. I have Time Warner Cable's 300/20 plan and regularly get 350+ down and 25+ up, at all times of the day, with my neighbors also being on TWC.

-Anthony

Hmm... Might be worth a try again with cable. I know I really don't like how the Uverse here buffers, especially on 18mbps, as that should be plenty fast, even for 4k which I don't yet have a 4k television, but plan to get sometime soon. I know these problems with Uverse are going to cause 4k to be bad here. So, nothing wrong with trying again with cable.

Thank you both for the information.

• Like 1

I have a question regarding Sprint's new Unlimited Freedom plan I've been a bit confused about. Sprint is offering a deal where you can sign up for the Unlimited Freedom plan, and get this :

• Limited time offer: Act now and get Unlimited Freedom Premium for FREE thru 10/31/16, when you sign up for Unlimited Freedom.

Does this mean if you sign up before the end of October, you'll be locked in to the Premium version of the plan at no extra cost for as long as you remain a Sprint customer on that plan, or does it mean you get the benefits of Premium for free that expire at that date?

I have a question regarding Sprint's new Unlimited Freedom plan I've been a bit confused about. Sprint is offering a deal where you can sign up for the Unlimited Freedom plan, and get this :

• Limited time offer: Act now and get Unlimited Freedom Premium for FREE thru 10/31/16, when you sign up for Unlimited Freedom.
Does this mean if you sign up before the end of October, you'll be locked in to the Premium version of the plan at no extra cost for as long as you remain a Sprint customer on that plan, or does it mean you get the benefits of Premium for free that expire at that date?
It means the free premium benefits expire on that date.
  • Like 2

I'm no bean counter but ...

Having it expire so soon after signing up - may confuse the common subscriber. In that there video and or music quality may worsen so soon after signing up...

Granted it's the cost of doing business.

Flip side I actually hope the standard freedom plan will help reduce network load -- well if enough people switch to it.

Unless I'm in my I like Sprint phase ;-) the deal is a great deal.

For me it would be $90 for 2 lines with Unlimited everything (with network shaping) and 5gb of tethering! Plus taxes and equipment costs. Less $400 extra dollars to port back on top of paying off my Verizon phones. Very tempting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is there a thread for the ongoing discussion of the spectrum swap and when areas are going live?  I was away for a week and once I rolled into town 1x has gone from channel 650 to channel 450.  Ever since I have gotten home my phone no longer connects to 1x and will sit on eHRPD only (which means no calls or texts).   If I get it on LTE, I can make calls and the network correctly swaps me over to 1x for the call but will not connect to it to simply idle.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

EDIT- EVDO has also changed from channel 675 to 425.

I'm no bean counter but ...

Having it expire so soon after signing up - may confuse the common subscriber. In that there video and or music quality may worsen so soon after signing up...

Granted it's the cost of doing business.

Flip side I actually hope the standard freedom plan will help reduce network load -- well if enough people switch to it.

Unless I'm in my I like Sprint phase ;-) the deal is a great deal.

For me it would be $90 for 2 lines with Unlimited everything (with network shaping) and 5gb of tethering! Plus taxes and equipment costs. Less $400 extra dollars to port back on top of paying off my Verizon phones. Very tempting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still not sure about this. I was at this Sprint special offer site I look at every so often in case Sprint is offering a good deal :

https://www.sprint.com/landings/everythingplus/epclanding.html?ECID=vanity:employeereferral

I have the information to get into the store, which is cj001@sprint.com and 902. Then I went under the plans section, which is not giving an option to select the Premium version, only the standard version. The rate for two lines is $90, which is a $20 discount from the regular consumer rate. However, once selected and going through the shopping process for additions, it lists an option to add the Premium service for free, while listing this :

Data

ADD SERVICE PRICE SALE PRICE Unlimited Freedom Premium – premium-resolution streaming FREE through 10/31/16
$0.00 /mo

The site doesn't give any information regarding a rate change after that, even in the final stages of checkout. To me, it appears if you get this plan, the premium will be grandfathered, as I can't see Sprint saying to customers who've signed up for this "Sorry, but now your resolution is reduced, unless you pay extra from now on for the resolution you'e had since signing up". This makes it confusing, and I think Sprint ought to address this more in detail on their site.

To me, it appears if you get this plan, the premium will be grandfathered, as I can't see Sprint saying to customers who've signed up for this "Sorry, but now your resolution is reduced, unless you pay extra from now on for the resolution you'e had since signing up". This makes it confusing, and I think Sprint ought to address this more in detail on their site.

https://support.sprint.com/support/article/Sprint-Launches-Unlimited-Freedom/0db2c4e7-3a6a-4d46-9dff-84cd6c402527

The FAQ seems to make this pretty clear:

Are there are special offers available with the Unlimited Freedom plan?

Yes. Sign up for the Unlimited Freedom plan now, and you’ll enjoy Unlimited Freedom Premium with premium resolution streaming video, gaming and music for FREE as a special benefit through 10/31/16. AFTERWARDS, you can choose to keep premium resolution streaming for an additional monthly charge or receive mobile-optimized streaming services.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Is there a thread for the ongoing discussion of the spectrum swap and when areas are going live?  I was away for a week and once I rolled into town 1x has gone from channel 650 to channel 450.  Ever since I have gotten home my phone no longer connects to 1x and will sit on eHRPD only (which means no calls or texts).   If I get it on LTE, I can make calls and the network correctly swaps me over to 1x for the call but will not connect to it to simply idle.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

EDIT- EVDO has also changed from channel 675 to 425.

Nope but you can feel free to make one.

CH 650 and CH450 are both within the PCS B block Sprint currently licenses. That's just spectrum refarming going on pending FCC approval of the inactive T-mobile & Verizon deals. 

• Like 1

https://support.sprint.com/support/article/Sprint-Launches-Unlimited-Freedom/0db2c4e7-3a6a-4d46-9dff-84cd6c402527

The FAQ seems to make this pretty clear:

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Well, that settles it. I didn't find it on the page. Hopefully some of the articles I've read have received that memo too, as there is some conflict in what I've been reading on it.

Sad though this isn't a grandfathered offer, whether at $110 for two lines or the $90 deal from the discount site, would have made a great deal otherwise.

CH 650 and CH450 are both within the PCS B block Sprint currently licenses.

Reddit user confirmed: "RF retune/spectrum swap occurred beginning of the week for Maine. I know of some minor lingering issues that resulted out of it, but this is the first report i have seen of this."

What channels will I see once this spectrum swap was finished? Something closer to 1000 or was it being used for something else such as a second B25 carrier?

Reddit user confirmed: "RF retune/spectrum swap occurred beginning of the week for Maine. I know of some minor lingering issues that resulted out of it, but this is the first report i have seen of this."

What channels will I see once this spectrum swap was finished? Something closer to 1000 or was it being used for something else such as a second B25 carrier?

C block will be the one it'll move to. In the 1000s is where I expect the CDMA carriers to eventually be. Right now they're probably just refarming for a 2nd B25 carrier. 

• Like 1

FiOS 'was' their initiative to replace all copper with fiber. Wall Street did not like this plan believing that more revenue can be generated from wireless. Hence we are starting to see them sell off the landline division in many areas and slowing or terminating FiOS expansion in others. However, they did start expanding once again in Boston, but this is most likely due to political pressure.

Correct. That was the plan then CEO Ivan Seidenberg wanted to implement. As you mentioned Wall Street didn't like it so eventually he stepped down and Lowell McAdams is now the CEO. Of course he came from the wireless division, and he despise the FIOS program. Luckily I have FIOS here in my place.

• Like 3

Correct. That was the plan then CEO Ivan Seidenberg wanted to implement. As you mentioned Wall Street didn't like it so eventually he stepped down and Lowell McAdams is now the CEO. Of course he came from the wireless division, and he despise the FIOS program. Luckily I have FIOS here in my place.

It shocks me sometimes to see how Wall Street does not understand technology. I was recently helping someone with DSL and I just cannot imagine dealing with the speeds he was dealing with.

Ironically Verizon would be in a much better position to smack down T-Mobile and other market competitors with a national triple play that involved fiber. Unfortunately Wall Street is not known for its long term strategic thinking. Most of that crowd wants their dividends on time and don't care. 

• Like 6

It shocks me sometimes to see how Wall Street does not understand technology.

Unfortunately Wall Street is not known for its long term strategic thinking. Most of that crowd wants their dividends on time and don't care. 

Wall Street can afford to pay for dedicated high speed connections.  In its perfect world, everyone else can do likewise or "eat cake."

AJ

• Like 3

Ironically Verizon would be in a much better position to smack down T-Mobile and other market competitors with a national triple play that involved fiber. Unfortunately Wall Street is not known for its long term strategic thinking. Most of that crowd wants their dividends on time and don't care.

Obviously millennials or people under 40 would buy wireless, TV and internet, while other demographics would go for the quadruple play. You get wireless, TV, internet, and home phone service.

I think the people running Verizon at this moment are not about long term especially Mr. SHAMMO. And McAdams. They didn't expect the Tmobile surge, and now Sprint bothering them.

• Like 5