Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Those of you who really want VOLTE, there are 2 really easy and free solutions you can use right now with VOIP.

Hangouts+dialer+google voice. Works on iphone and android and tablets.

facetime audio. Instead of using your iphone dialer, use your facetime dialer. obviously this only works idevice to idevice, but if you are calling family/friends with idevices, then all you have to do is train yourself to use the facetime app instead of dialer app.

Those of you who really want VOLTE, there are 2 really easy and free solutions you can use right now with VOIP.

Hangouts+dialer+google voice. Works on iphone and android and tablets.

facetime audio. Instead of using your iphone dialer, use your facetime dialer. obviously this only works idevice to idevice, but if you are calling family/friends with idevices, then all you have to do is train yourself to use the facetime app instead of dialer app.

Once Duo has audio-only calling, it'll be a great alternative for those who want to make cross platform "VoLTE" calls.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hate this new google separate allo/duo crap.

All they had to do was keep working on hangouts and optimizing/improving it. If they wanted, they could make it as seamless as imessage, and have audio/video/messaging all integrated into one seamless experience. 

I wish I could make hangouts the default dialer/messenger for all my devices, even as it is.

• Like 2

All they had to do was keep working on hangouts and optimizing/improving it. If they wanted, they could make it as seamless as imessage, and have audio/video/messaging all integrated into one seamless experience. 

I wish I could make hangouts the default dialer/messenger for all my devices, even as it is.

Weird and annoying as it may be, at this point it looks like Google's general policy for apps they deem growing too bloated/clunky is to kill them off and replace them with new apps developed fresh from the ground up rather than debloat existing apps.

• Like 1

Duo as a service is definitely better at video calling than Hangouts ever was in my opinion. Seamless handoffs from WiFi to cellular, better quality, and the ability to shift between differing levels of quality all the way down to audio-only depending on the network connection. All that it's lacking is the ability to use it on multiple devices.

Allo has yet to prove itself but I'll probably download it onto my family member's phones when they aren't looking and then convince all of my friends to switch over if it is really good.

I also never went through the hassle of trying to get anyone to use Hangouts since it used Gmail to sign in.

I have 2 apps that already do what Google is trying to bring out, Skype and BBM. With both can share notes files and whatever else while in calls, both video and voice, and Skype is definitely multi platform.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have 2 apps that already do what Google is trying to bring out, Skype and BBM

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Skype on phones is horrible despite it being the de facto video calling app for over a decade and you're the first person I've met in a long time that uses BBM. I prefer Facebook Messenger, GroupMe, and WhatsApp for messaging.

Yup. Apple maps is more precise especially in iOS 10. I use both but my experience is better using Apple maps more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does "more precise" mean? Better GPS lock? More accurate map? Please explain? Last time I tried apple maps on a long trip it was a total disaster (went wrong multiple times due to construction, no realtime traffic avoidance and no multi stop support no gas prices etc). Gmaps has so many features (especially ones taken from Waze) that I don't see the point in even bothering with Apple maps.

• Like 1

More precise how? Does it have lane assist, traffic data gathered from Waze, or live transit information.

Not a fan of Waze and the other two features, yes. Per iOS 10

• Like 1

So that's 2 out of 3. Still failing to see how it's "more precise". Also I have yet to see the lane assist features of Apple Maps. When driving with Google Maps it shows me how many lanes are on the road and which lane to be in.

• Like 1

So that's 2 out of 3. Still failing to see how it's "more precise". Also I have yet to see the lane assist features of Apple Maps. When driving with Google Maps it shows me how many lanes are on the road and which lane to be in.

It doesn't have lane selection.

But I feel the routing is more realistic in that it uses traffic conditions on the route and other suggestions and their traffic data along with historical traffic maps.

Not saying Google maps is bad. But I don't like being the product. Where in Apple Maps, it's the product.

And iOS 10 version is night and day different

• Like 1

Apple has acquired about 7 or 8 mapping companies over the past 2 years. If your stuck with Android yeah Google maps is great

If your on iOS it's great to have a choice between them. That's all

• Like 1

Apple has acquired about 7 or 8 mapping companies over the past 2 years. If your stuck with Android yeah Google maps is great

No one is "Stuck with Maps". There's an app store on both platforms.

As expected, Apple maps is no match for Google/Waze getting you to your destination quickest.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/30/testing-google-maps-vs-waze-vs-apple-maps-for-the-fourth-of-july-weekend.html

• Like 2

With Apple your 'stuck' with Apple Maps as the default. On Android you can choose Google Maps, Waze, or even Here maps (was owned by Nokia) as default. Here maps is supposed to have the best offline maps.

Not in CT. Backhaul is still missing and tons of clear site haven't been upgraded.

NV is no where near done in Iowa either. Especially in eastern Iowa, Sprint is a mess unfortunately.
  • Like 5

With Apple your 'stuck' with Apple Maps as the default. On Android you can choose Google Maps, Waze, or even Here maps (was owned by Nokia) as default. Here maps is supposed to have the best offline maps.

I travel a bunch, all over the United States and I am always amazed at the accuracy of the ETA in Google Maps the last year or so. And I am talking about major metropolitan areas not just highways in the countryside. A couple of weeks ago I left the western suburbs of Chicago near Naperville at 4:55 p.m. with my destination at O'Hare and Google Maps ETA was accurate to the minute. I did a similar trip last month from San Francisco Airport down to San Jose and accuracy was just unbelievable. The anonymous cell phone data that they are buying from someone is just unbeatable in my opinion.

Here maps is amazing but I believe it's end of Life after Audi and a few other automakers have acquired it and will be shuttering it.

Correct with Android you can enable any gps app to be defaulted.

I was only using the word stuck since there are really only 2 decent map apps - Google Maps and Apple Maps. (Waze feeds google maps and I consider it a gps with gamifaction skin but each their own)

I travel a bunch, all over the United States and I am always amazed at the accuracy of the ETA in Google Maps the last year or so. And I am talking about major metropolitan areas not just highways in the countryside. A couple of weeks ago I left the western suburbs of Chicago near Naperville at 4:55 p.m. with my destination at O'Hare and Google Maps ETA was accurate to the minute. I did a similar trip last month from San Francisco Airport down to San Jose and accuracy was just unbelievable. The anonymous cell phone data that they are buying from someone is just unbeatable in my opinion.

They Google doesn't need to buy the data... it's a "feature" of Android.

As expected, Apple maps is no match for Google/Waze getting you to your destination quickest.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/30/testing-google-maps-vs-waze-vs-apple-maps-for-the-fourth-of-july-weekend.html

With the version of Apple maps used here - yes I'd with out a doubt use Google Maps!!! All day ever day.