Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Anyone who has used Sprint ever knows the limitations in voice and data. 17 years now as a customer and I've never found the need to use voice and data at the same time.

That's my personal experience, but is still valid.

17 years. Powerhouse smartphones have only been around since 2011. Now companies are using the internet for everything and thats only been around on a wide scale for 3-4 years. Your point is not valid because the industry has changed drastically in the past 5 years of your 17.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Anyone who has used Sprint ever knows the limitations in voice and data. 17 years now as a customer and I've never found the need to use voice and data at the same time.

The biggest issue is iMessage. Now, I don't know if your close friends or significant other or family also have iPhones like you, or how frequently they message you, but personally, everyone I know has an iPhone. And when I have a phone call, it's never for 5-10 minutes, it's usually an hour or two. And that usually translates to me hanging up, and seeing all the messages pour in late or get double messages (one as SMS, one as iMessage). It's EXTREMELY frustrating, and part of a bigger reason why I want VoLTE so damn bad. Plus, my dad uses his iPhone for calls & navigation in the car. If mom calls him while he's on the road while he's using Maps, there's a reasonable chance he'll miss an appropriate exit or something like that.

• Like 6

17 years. Powerhouse smartphones have only been around since 2011. Now companies are using the internet for everything and thats only been around on a wide scale for 3-4 years. Your point is not valid because the industry has changed drastically in the past 5 years of your 17.

Calling out someone's personal experience as invalid is like the pot calling the kettle black my friend.

• Like 1

The biggest issue is iMessage. Now, I don't know if your close friends or significant other or family also have iPhones like you, or how frequently they message you, but personally, everyone I know has an iPhone. And when I have a phone call, it's never for 5-10 minutes, it's usually an hour or two. And that usually translates to me hanging up, and seeing all the messages pour in late or get double messages (one as SMS, one as iMessage). It's EXTREMELY frustrating, and part of a bigger reason why I want VoLTE so damn bad. Plus, my dad uses his iPhone for calls & navigation in the car. If mom calls him while he's on the road while he's using Maps, there's a reasonable chance he'll miss an appropriate exit or something like that.

Extremely? In all caps? First world problems to be sure.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Extremely? In all caps? First world problems to be sure.

You know, you can joke all you want about that, but when there's a solution to this problem and you're paying a good chunk of money, you'd kinda hope the problem would be solved.

• Like 5

You know, you can joke all you want about that, but when there's a solution to this problem and you're paying a good chunk of money, you'd kinda hope the problem would be solved.

It isn't a problem. It is the way the technology works. If it is EXTREMELY frustrating: one you must not come across very many problems and two it is easily fixed, get another carrier.

• Like 1

Calling out someone's personal experience as invalid is like the pot calling the kettle black my friend.

Im saying on a whole. Not your personal experience. No disrespect. Sorry if it came off that way. You said your point is valid for your personal experience it is for all customers it isn't. Personally I have ran into more problems now without it than with it.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure Google Maps allows you to pre-download routes and if you're out of coverage it still continues because it pre-caches part of the route ahead of you. There have been several times where I've gone into a tunnel and maps continued giving me directions by anticipating where I was. While on a call, SMS still comes through 1x.

iMessage I can't help you with because that's an iPhone problem.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure Google Maps allows you to pre-download routes and if you're out of coverage it still continues because it pre-caches part of the route ahead of you. There have been several times where I've gone into a tunnel and maps continued giving me directions by anticipating where I was. While on a call, SMS still comes through 1x.

iMessage I can't help you with because that's an iPhone problem.

I'm aware of Google Maps, you're right about that, but he uses Apple's Maps because it's well integrated into iOS. He can't tell Siri to give him directions to a place with Google Maps, and if someone sends him an address it defaults to Apple Maps. So workarounds aren't really easy in this case. And we know about SMS over 1x of course, but again most of the people I speak to (and also he speaks to) use iMessage.

• Like 3

I'm aware of Google Maps, you're right about that, but he uses Apple's Maps because it's well integrated into iOS. He can't tell Siri to give him directions to a place with Google Maps, and if someone sends him an address it defaults to Apple Maps. So workarounds aren't really easy in this case. And we know about SMS over 1x of course, but again most of the people I speak to (and also he speaks to) use iMessage.

People actually use apple maps over Gmaps, crazy :mad2:

• Like 4

So off topic. But I went on a Napa trip earlier this year and apple maps told us to go just basically in a straight line.

Google remapped us and had us take side roads since the main road had a 30 minute traffic jam.

Saved us so much time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 9

So off topic. But I went on a Napa trip earlier this year and apple maps told us to go just basically in a straight line.

Google remapped us and had us take side roads since the main road had a 30 minute traffic jam.

Saved us so much time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

I use Gmaps in NYC almost exclusively to avoid traffic. 

• Like 3

Unless I'm wrong on this, it's also not possible to switch from a voice call to FaceTime over cellular on iPhones either because of the Voice/Data limitation.

https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT204380

• Like 1

I'm well aware of that, as I've worked in the industry for 13 of said 17 years.

My point is that people find a reason to complain about something every day, and soon as Sprint solves that one complain, they just move down the list.

• Like 4

I know what you mean, my wife and family all have iPhones as well.

As for phone calls, it varies on every user though. I talk to my wife on the phone for a few minutes here or there, otherwise it's primarily over messaging since we're both at work.

Sometimes we'll just use Facetime Audio if messaging is that important.

Also, Maps works offline so the directions will still keep going while a call is in session. The more dangerous moment is having to leave the call screen to go find the Maps icon to switch back.

One of the reasons why I'm replacing my car radio with a Car Play/Android Auto supported unit.

• Like 1

The solution isn't viable for Sprint at the moment, so for all intents and purposes it may as well not exist.

• Like 1

Saved us so much time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

That's why I love Waze.

• Like 1

Unless I'm wrong on this, it's also not possible to switch from a voice call to FaceTime over cellular on iPhones either because of the Voice/Data limitation.

https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT204380

Yep you have to create a new data session for the Facetime call. But once the call is in session you can hand off just fine, especially if it's over 3G since coverage is so ubiquitous. 

• Like 2

I'm well aware of that, as I've worked in the industry for 13 of said 17 years.

My point is that people find a reason to complain about something every day, and soon as Sprint solves that one complain, they just move down the list.

Oh yeah. That's for sure. That's human nature though. We are never satisfied.

• Like 2

You don't know what you're missing!

It comes in handy from time to time

• Like 3