Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Verizon to shut down CDMA 1x network in 2019

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-shut-down-2g-cdma-1x-network-end-2019/2016-07-13

damn that means they're pushing voice 100% to VoLTE, that's wild

Hopefully Sprint can figure out that roaming agreement with Verizon by then, otherwise they will have a lot less coverage! I've been on them recently about a pretty significant data outage in the north Bronx, Southern Westchester area. They are 'aware' of the major issues there and are working to restore service. I commute through there quite frequently on the train.

• Like 1

Hopefully Sprint can figure out that roaming agreement with Verizon by then, otherwise they will have a lot less coverage! I've been on them recently about a pretty significant data outage in the north Bronx, Southern Westchester area. They are 'aware' of the major issues there and are working to restore service. I commute through there quite frequently on the train.

I think Sprint is just gonna have to settle for coverage like T-Mobile at that point and just focus on proving network quality in places that actually matter (everywhere that isn't in the woods)

Verizon to shut down CDMA 1x network in 2019

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-shut-down-2g-cdma-1x-network-end-2019/2016-07-13

damn that means they're pushing voice 100% to VoLTE, that's wild

Oh wow Verizon is not playing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think Sprint is just gonna have to settle for coverage like T-Mobile at that point and just focus on proving network quality in places that actually matter (everywhere that isn't in the woods)

Why couldn't Sprint sign a Volte roaming agreement in areas they don't have service? Aren't their newer phones capable of it?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Why couldn't Sprint sign a Volte roaming agreement in areas they don't have service? Aren't their newer phones capable of it?

Nothing other than the newer iPhone models, Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge and LG G5 is suggested to be capable of VoLTE. Plus a VoLTE roaming agreement most likely means an LTE data roaming agreement too, which would be a fortune for Sprint.

• Like 1

I

Nothing other than the newer iPhone models, Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge and LG G5 is suggested to be capable of VoLTE. Plus a VoLTE roaming agreement most likely means an LTE data roaming agreement too, which would be a fortune for Sprint.

I'm pretty sure that th black of VoLTE is largely a firmware thing where devices registered on Sprint lack the ability to make calls over LTE. This could very likely be activated at a later date on a number of handsets including Nexus devices, etc.

• Like 1

I think that this announcement from VZW provides a sense of urgency on the part of Sprint to move toward a less CDMA dependent ecosystem as well. They're already doing so but this may have just sped it up slightly. By the end of 2019, I'm certain Sprint will have VoLTE online which would allow them to strike up new roaming deals with VZW to roam on their VoLTE network should one be out of Sprint or regional coverage. With the convergence of device models occurring in the U.S. (more and more phones being able to work on more carriers) the push toward LTE roaming between Sprint and realistically any of the other 3 nationwide carriers becomes more of a reality. 

If everything Sprint is currently invested in goes according to plan, their current network footprint should be very dense by then and they will be able to focus on expanding coverage to match the other 3. We already know of their plans with that company in New England to expand native coverage, all of the RRPP carriers, and their current skeleton network in Montana, they have the foundation to build out a large network already. It all comes down to finances and Sprint's execution.

• Like 5

Furthermore, if Verizon shuts down CDMA, that means the demand for CDMA capable handsets decreases dramatically. That'll likely start happening soon (aren't there already some Verizon phones that don't have CDMA?). It could make Sprint have to pay manufacturers more to include CDMA capabilities and make it more difficult to get compatible handsets.

Hopefully this lights the fire under Sprint to actually enable VoLTE, even if it's only testing and opt-in with lots of hoops to jump through. Personally, I'm usually in strong LTE coverage areas and would be able to use VoLTE without any issues. It's frustrating to lose data every time a call comes in. Plus the ability to have wifi calling on Nexus devices would be a huge plus.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

Furthermore, if Verizon shuts down CDMA, that means the demand for CDMA capable handsets decreases dramatically. That'll likely start happening soon (aren't there already some Verizon phones that don't have CDMA?). It could make Sprint have to pay manufacturers more to include CDMA capabilities and make it more difficult to get compatible handsets.

Hopefully this lights the fire under Sprint to actually enable VoLTE, even if it's only testing and opt-in with lots of hoops to jump through. Personally, I'm usually in strong LTE coverage areas and would be able to use VoLTE without any issues. It's frustrating to lose data every time a call comes in. Plus the ability to have wifi calling on Nexus devices would be a huge plus.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

That's part of the reason why Sprint and the CCA have teamed up like they did. I'm pretty sure for most devices they have the same model. That way these carriers no longer have to pay up the wazoo for their devices. They have much more bargaining clout when it comes to getting devices with their bands, etc I they operate as one entity as opposed to a multitude of different carriers.

Meanwhile, in large parts of the Metro system in Washington DC, Verizon (and all the other carriers) still lack LTE.  I think the completion date for that is like 2020 or something now.  And given Metro's record, I won't expect to see it before 2025.

- Trip

• Like 1

By 2019, a lot of the phones not capable of VoLTE should be phased out. I think phones such as the Galaxy S5 are VoLTE capable via a firmware update, so a quick FCC certification for Band 2 and Band 5 should give the phones roaming capabilities with every major provider.

Data shouldn't cost any more as well since Sprint will likely keep a roaming limit and they'll now have the chance to negotiate deals with T-Mobile and At&t. Verizon would no longer be the only major network Sprint can roam on.

• Like 2

By 2019, a lot of the phones not capable of VoLTE should be phased out. I think phones such as the Galaxy S5 are VoLTE capable via a firmware update, so a quick FCC certification for Band 2 and Band 5 should give the phones roaming capabilities with every major provider.

Data shouldn't cost any more as well since Sprint will likely keep a roaming limit and they'll now have the chance to negotiate deals with T-Mobile and At&t. Verizon would no longer be the only major network Sprint can roam on.

Vzw will likely charge more for LTE roam than evdo.

Meanwhile, in large parts of the Metro system in Washington DC, Verizon (and all the other carriers) still lack LTE. I think the completion date for that is like 2020 or something now. And given Metro's record, I won't expect to see it before 2025.

- Trip

The day their network becomes VoLTE-only will be the day they lose their claim of "most reliable". The "Can You Hear Me Now" dude should come in handy for Sprint at that point.

The day their network becomes VoLTE-only will be the day they lose their claim of "most reliable". The "Can You Hear Me Now" dude should come in handy for Sprint at that point.

Not true. Given their stellar LTE coverage & growing small cell buildout, they could continue to be the most reliable. They could even argue they have the most reliable HD call network that works with other carriers.
  • Like 1

Not true. Given their stellar LTE coverage & growing small cell buildout, they could continue to be the most reliable. They could even argue they have the most reliable HD call network that works with other carriers.

Funny story, was hanging in Woodbridge over the weekend visiting a buddy which just so happens to have Verizon, ran a couple of test, his speeds were uneventful (1-2mbs) while mine was running circles around his. plus he tells me the voice quality sometimes is bad, It royally pissed him off after seeing mine and he decided to give Sprint a try since it would save him a ton of cash.

I'm kinda getting the impression that Verizon is a bit over rated. I'm sure in certain places they cover better than others, but that advantage would probably be dwindled down to nill by the time that shutdown occurs.

• Like 5

Funny story was hanging in Woodbridge over the weekend visiting a buddy which just so happens to have Verizon, ran a couple of test, his speeds were uneventful (1-2mbs) while mine was running circles around his. plus he tells me the voice quality sometimes is bad, It royally pissed him off after seeing mine and he decided to give Sprint a try since it would save him a ton of cash.

I'm kinda getting the impression that Verizon is a bit over rated. I'm sure in certain places they cover better than others, but that advantage would probably be dwindled down to nill by the time that shutdown occurs.

While VZ is a lot slower in a lot of places, the issue of VZ vs Sprint is and always will be coverage. Where Sprint doesn't have coverage, Verizon most likely will. That's where the premium comes in, people are willing to pay for peace of mind wherever they go. However, this is beginning to change as we've seen with T-Mobile, but their will always be people who put coverage before speed and better pricing. Eventually Verizon can address LTE with the newer standards and band 66 to improve performance, but so long as they're the king of coverage, they have a stronghold on the premium they enforce.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, in large parts of the Metro system in Washington DC, Verizon (and all the other carriers) still lack LTE.  I think the completion date for that is like 2020 or something now.  And given Metro's record, I won't expect to see it before 2025.

- Trip

Check out the WMATA Reports here: http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/general_manager/gm_plan.cfm

Customer Accountability Report (http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/general_manager/performance/CARe.pdf?) dated June 30th, item #4:

Actions: Publish schedule detailing when tunnel segments are activated for telecom providers to offer cell service

So we'll see.

• Like 2

While VZ is a lot slower in a lot of places, the issue of VZ vs Sprint is and always will be coverage. Where Sprint doesn't have coverage, Verizon most likely will. That's where the premium comes in, people are willing to pay for peace of mind wherever they go. However, this is beginning to change as we've seen with T-Mobile, but their will always be people who put coverage before speed and better pricing. Eventually Verizon can address LTE with the newer standards and band 66 to improve performance, but so long as they're the king of coverage, they have a stronghold on the premium they enforce.

Sprint is currently porting positively against Verizon, and I bet the same is happening with Tmobile. I don't see that trend changing for a very long time.

• Like 1

LTE is a more delicate standard than 1xRTT or EVDO. While Verizon has the best LTE network, there is no way they'll get their LTE network to match their 1x coverage foot by foot by 2019. Eventually? Yes. But not in 3 years. They have a lot of rural and highway gaps to cover in which 3G handoffs from tower to tower perfectly fine but LTE gaps for a brief moment.
  • Like 1

I'm just hoping sprint resolves the band 26 issue for Southern California Vegas and Phoenix soon. We need that coverage bad

I second that.

• Like 4

I'm just hoping sprint resolves the band 26 issue for Southern California Vegas and Phoenix soon. We need that coverage bad

I wish they would fix B26 everywhere.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Band 26 is what is preventing me to switch back fully to Sprint.  When they get B26 online in Washington State, I will likely come back.

• Like 7

Band 26 is what is preventing me to switch back fully to Sprint. When they get B26 online in Washington State, I will likely come back.

Come back Robert we miss you.

• Like 5