Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

In my market I almost am never on B26 not unless I'm in church. Outside of being in church I'm always on B41. I know a lot of people on here just want B26 to be optimized. I on the other hand just want my VoLTE but I know that's a long ways out.

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In my market I almost am never on B26 not unless I'm in church. Outside of being in church I'm always on B41. I know a lot of people on here just want B26 to be optimized. I on the other hand just want my VoLTE but I know that's a long ways out.

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

Same! I need to to use voice and data at the same time because of my job. I know I can use google hangouts but still ???? Lol

• Like 1

I'm almost never on Band 26 anymore since Sprint did quite a bit of optimization here but that said it is still pretty loaded on average. My neighborhood has poor site spacing but thanks to Clear having better spacing on my neighborhood that Sprint did I actually have a strong Band 41 signal outside.

Indoors I am on WiFi 99% of the time but this is what Band 26 looks like in my home right about now. Once again I had to force this by running to my basement for it to connect to Band 26 and then run back upstairs to where I normally am to run this test. Not nearly as easy as going into settings and turning off LTE.
59716cd9fbedcebdddfdd802ed981d75.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm almost never on Band 26 anymore since Sprint did quite a bit of optimization here but that said it is still pretty loaded on average. My neighborhood has poor site spacing but thanks to Clear having better spacing on my neighborhood that Sprint did I actually have a strong Band 41 signal outside.

Indoors I am on WiFi 99% of the time but this is what Band 26 looks like in my home right about now. Once again I had to force this by running to my basement for it to connect to Band 26 and then run back upstairs to where I normally am to run this test. Not nearly as easy as going into settings and turning off LTE.

59716cd9fbedcebdddfdd802ed981d75.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Whoever is in charge of your market for Sprint is doing one heck of a job. I usually average around -105 RSRP with -10 dB SNR inside my house on Band 25. Unfortunately I see my phone jump back and forth between a congested B26 and a decently fast B25. The network recently won (well tied) for best according to Rootmetrics, so I'm not so optimistic that Sprint will fix the network balancing issues anytime soon. Especially with so many other markets needing attention.
  • Like 1

Sure, it does. W-CDMA uses 3-4 times the spectrum bandwidth that CDMA2000 does. That basically means that each W-CDMA carrier requires its own 5 MHz FDD block, much like LTE in a 5 MHz FDD carrier configuration. Thus, W-CDMA can be difficult to deploy -- absent existing massive spectrum resources or new "greenfield" spectrum. Note how T-Mobile was 3-4 years late to the 3G party precisely because of that disadvantage. T-Mobile had to wait on AWS-1 in order to deploy W-CDMA. On the other hand, CDMA2000, at 1.25 MHz FDD, is less difficult to deploy in existing spectrum.

AJ

You're 100% right about that AJ but that 5x5 block allows for the same if not greater amount of traffic as well as greater overall throughput. I was focusing more so on real world issues for users, such as voice quality issues when switching sectors/sites for GSM.

More of 3.8 /4.2 MHz for wcdma carriers nowadays. You can fit GSM in there as well with the freed up spectrum which is what tmobile does with their PCS wcdma / GSM setups.

I think several tmobile markets actually have upwards of 3 or 4 slim wcdma carriers configured for hspa+21 configuration (though some have been decommissioned as they do band 2 lte). Cdma evdo cannot touch that in terms of capacity at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

My 3G and 4g within 100 feet on a Sunday afternoon

congestion??? Seriously??? I highly doubt it this is what hurts sprints rep.

You need to report this in Sprint Zone.

• Like 1

You need to report this in Sprint Zone.

Lmao!

I do!

All the time wherever I am I use that. Nothing has changed my thought was if they get enough complaints they would look into it.

Honestly speaking though, with all this high tech stuff they should know and it should get fixed in a timely matter not months as some have reported.

• Like 3

Lmao!

I do!

All the time wherever I am I use that. Nothing has changed my thought was if they get enough complaints they would look into it.

Honestly speaking though, with all this high tech stuff they should know and it should get fixed in a timely matter not months as some have reported.

It's been my experience that reporting in Sprint Zone is a waste of time. I used to use it all the time but now I don't even bother. To be fair though I live in New Jersey and Sprint has zero interest that market. Especially the central part of it.
  • Like 1

Lmao!

I do!

I use Sprint Zone a lot to report issues where there is low signal or no LTE. Do they look at these reports or is it a waste of time?

I use Sprint Zone a lot to report issues where there is low signal or no LTE. Do they look at these reports or is it a waste of time?

From my experience its a huge waste of time. Nothing ever gets done. Its like reporting to nothing.
  • Like 4

The jury is out on that one. Everyone says use it but I don't think there is a way to check until the tower gets fixed. I would say it probably goes to some center in Kansas then back to your region then a couple of places from there.

******this is me venting>>> Honestly the way the whole thing works is stupid. (In regards to sprint maybe all carriers) they have so many different people doing different things on a tower ex

Fiber guy

The antennae guy

The guy to check it

The Lte guy

The 3G guy

The guy who says turn it on

The guy who optimizes it

And so forth

Point is it's always someone different for every little thing

I spoke with 4 tower guys working for sprint who came up from New Jersey to work on a tower here 4 hrs each way.. To replace a line squirels chewed through.. All the way from nj?? Boston is an Hr from here, no techs in Boston??? None in Hartford? Albany? New haven? There are major cities all within 1.5 hours and they come from nj? That's wasted money.

• Like 1

Perhaps someone could ask Marcelo about this on Twitter directly for him to answer in the affirmative/negative.

• Like 1

Like he would admit that it didn't do anything.

We either take him at his word or not.

If you don't believe him on this, why believe him on anything else he says?

• Like 3

My thinking is this: I seriously doubt the report volume is significantly overwhelming. In fact, I'd go so far as to say probably less than 5% of subscribers have ever used the "report" function in the Sprint Zone app. I'm probably the only person in the lower half of my city that uses it. I could be wrong on that, but IME nobody outside of this forum actually cares enough to do something like fill out a report. Nearly everybody would find it easier to DM the Sprint Twitter account. It's not advertised anywhere in the app outside of the network tab, and you have to type out a full address if you're reporting in-building coverage problems.

So, I'd think it would be trivially easy for Sprint to actually pay attention to those reports if the volume is as low as I'm guessing. If someone outside of this forum goes to the trouble to look up how to send Sprint a problem report, that indicates there's a significant network problem in that area.

I have no idea how much attention they pay the reports. For all I know they could be having an engineer read each one personally. But I haven't personally had much success with reports. Maybe it's because I send most of them through an unsupported Nexus 5X? If the problem is really bad I'll go to the trouble of submitting reports on my parents' E8s but that hasn't appeared to make a difference.

• Like 3

You brought up some interesting points.

As far as I've heard given Sprint's downsizing, Sprint has made an effort to have customers utilize more self-service features, and that includes Sprint Zone to report network issues (and for billing inquiries, etc.) Apparently, store reps are required to set up Sprint Zone and give a brief orientation on supported devices.

Issue reports in Sprint Zone are essentially the same as contacting tech support and filing a network issue "pinpoint" report... unless we make the assumption that those don't get looked at either.

• Like 2

You brought up some interesting points.

As far as I've heard given Sprint's downsizing, Sprint has made an effort to have customers utilize more self-service features, and that includes Sprint Zone to report network issues (and for billing inquiries, etc.) Apparently, store reps are required to set up Sprint Zone and give a brief orientation on supported devices.

Issue reports in Sprint Zone are essentially the same as contacting tech support and filing a network issue "pinpoint" report... unless we make the assumption that those don't get looked at either.

I realized after I posted it was possible that reps are supposed to tell people about it. Still, I would think most people would rather DM a Twitter account and have someone get back to them.

We've had people report success with phoned-in reports, right?

• Like 1

From my experience its a huge waste of time. Nothing ever gets done. Its like reporting to nothing.

Just from personal experience, I reported slow data speeds for over a year on one spot weekly and they never even took a look until I contacted Marcelo's email.
  • Like 4

More than 40% of Sprint's traffic is on 2.5 GHz, Wells Fargo says

Sounds like Sprint has made some real progress on this front, including the comments on small cells.

"The most interesting take-away was the fact that today Sprint carries more "tonnage per subscriber" of data than any other carrier in the US - yet it is using only less than 25% of its 2.5GHz spectrum holdings. Think about that - using less than 1/4 of its 2.5GHz spectrum, more tonnage/ sub than any carrier and no meaningful congestion."

Interesting info on sales/distribution being a concern.

• Like 5

Just from personal experience, I reported slow data speeds for over a year on one spot weekly and they never even took a look until I contacted Marcelo's email.

What happened once they took a look?

What happened once they took a look?

They actually called me to tell me they adjusted the downtilt, but it did not resolve the slow data speeds.  But at least I got a confirmation that they actually sent a technician out.

• Like 3

They actually called me to tell me they adjusted the downtilt, but it did not resolve the slow data speeds.  But at least I got a confirmation that they actually sent a technician out.

I guess you need a small cell near you.

You could always put in a request!  Have space for a pole?  ;)  

• Like 2