Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

In that Blog Post (Sprint is back!), he covered some important points, including this about Sprint's upload speeds:

These tests are very deceptive and make carriers look better than what they really are (mostly Sprint and to a good extent extent T-Mobile). There was not one single indoor test done. It was all driving to different parts of town.

I don't think these tests should be described as deceptive since of course they are real results, done by a real person, on the ground in real places. I think the what you mean to say is that it isn't as comprehensive as you would have liked it to have been and that's very fair. What we should understand is that these results could very well be the results of someone who uses one of the providers mentioned. He went to spots in each city (even marked where on a map so you can go see for yourself) and ran several speed tests to determine reliability, etc.

Just because one's experience isn't the same as yours in the market doesn't mean they're being deceptive.

• Like 8

I don't think these tests should be described as deceptive since of course they are real results, done by a real person, on the ground in real places. I think the what you mean to say is that it isn't as comprehensive as you would have liked it to have been and that's very fair. What we should understand is that these results could very well be the results of someone who uses one o the providers mentioned. He went to spots in each city (even marked where on a map so you can go see for yourself) and ran several speed tests to determine reliability, etc.

Just because one's experience isn't the same as yours in the market doesn't mean they're being deceptive.

They didn't even step one foot indoors. Sure these are real places in real cities, but they aren't real world situations for most people. All carriers are being over hyped, with Sprint and T-Mobile benefitting the most.

They didn't even step one foot indoors. Sure these are real places in real cities, but they aren't real world situations for most people. All carriers are being over hyped, with Sprint and T-Mobile benefitting the most.

Like I said, it isn't very comprehensive but it also isn't deceptive. Nothing was manipulated here to the benefit of anyone. It would be different if they didn't go indoors for Sprint and T-Mobile but they did for VZW and T. All things considered this test is giving all of the carriers an equal footing in each city.

This isn't supposed to be the be all-end all for network metrics but it is very much valid despite his lack of indoor tests. Additionally one could argue that indoors, you're more likely to be on WiFi as opposed to your cellular network. The time when your network matters the most indoors is while placing calls and we've essentially reached a point where most people have a decent enough signal for them to do so. 

• Like 5

Wait, your complaining about coverage indoors? Are you trying to be ironic? Ha ha ha.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Wait, your complaining about coverage indoors? Are you trying to be ironic? Ha ha ha.

First off, didn't you request that I never respond to another one of your posts? Seems like that road should be 2 ways.

Second, coverage indoors is fine. B12 and B26 do an extremely good job of being everywhere. Theres just a big difference between lower band 5x5 carriers for Sprint and T-Mobile and lower band 10x10 carrier for Verizon and At&t*.

Third. You just can't stand to not have the last word on an argument can't you? OCD much?

Fourth. Not once was I against small cells that were properly installed and camouflaged in existing utility poles. Go back and re-read our argument since your Middle School reading and writing comprehension severely fail you. Or do you want me to just link the post...or you what???

Fifth. Just stop replying to me or referencing any of my posts...(who am I kidding, you can't and won't!????)

• Like 1

You mean if Sprint could have small cells all over each city and not be held up by bureaucratic red tape and NIMBYs, they could have better indoor coverage? Equalling or bettering their competitors. Why, that sounds like a smashing idea!

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 10

You mean if Sprint could have small cells all over each city and not be held up by bureaucratic red tape and NIMBYs, they could have better indoor coverage? Equalling or bettering their competitors. Why, that sounds like a smashing idea!

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

Yup. Some don't get it and ramble on about disrupting their sense of Aesthetics.

I wouldn't say the tests are deceptive at all, but they could do a better job of indicating they are testing for speed only and include no coverage analysis. Still useful info, especially as capacity becomes a more important metric than coverage in many places.

Do they really think that their LTE is faster?

Don't think salesman know much about the product they sale.

But yes, T-Mobile could theoretically get peak speeds of over 100+ Mbps today, but the ability and places to do so is quickly dwindling with the surge of subscribers and video streaming. My area had consistent speeds of 35-45 Mbps download on B4, but today it sits at ~10 Mbps. The Deutsche network has been getting more dense with a few macro additions, but they are ultimately going to have to scrap or scale back BingeON. I feel sorry for the the next sucker who takes over CEO after John Legere calls it quits. There's gonna be a lot of unpopular clean up to do.

Yup. Some don't get it and ramble on about disrupting their sense of Aesthetics.

While aesthetics may be a subjective matter of taste, it's hard to argue with wasteful construction to duplicate a utility pole when a perfectly usable existing utility structure is less than 5 yards away.

It grinds my gears to drive through north Florida and see 4-5 monopole structures lined up in a span of 100 yards because no one can build a tall enough structure to support all 4 carriers. It's wasteful.

@greenbastard's argument is actually for small cells, when they are placed on existing structures with minimal disruption to the surrounding areas.

What he doesn't want is a pole placed in the easement, especially in his easement, that sticks out like a sore thumb because it stands 2-3x as tall as all adjacent structures in the area. It's obnoxious, and again, wasteful. I don't think many would argue the fact that there are an innumerable amount of existing utility poles that could handle the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

While aesthetics may be a subjective matter of taste, it's hard to argue with wasteful construction to duplicate a utility pole when a perfectly usable existing utility structure is less than 5 yards away.

It grinds my gears to drive through north Florida and see 4-5 monopole structures lined up in a span of 100 yards because no one can build a tall enough structure to support all 4 carriers. It's wasteful.

I'm sorry but that's just not doable. Even if you make a high enough pole, no equipment is the same - weight differences could cause a pole to lean. And if in a case where a castrophe happens and the pole falls, all 4 carriers suffer damages and all the additional equipment can further damage whatever it lands on.

Lastly, this argument of aesthetics. I rather see 4 utility poles than one utility pole that looks like a macro cell because it's covered in RRUs and antennas and fiber and microwave receivers.

@greenbastard's argument is actually for small cells, when they are placed on existing structures with minimal disruption to the surrounding areas.

What he doesn't want is a pole placed in the easement, especially in his easement, that sticks out like a sore thumb because it stands 2-3x as tall as all adjacent structures in the area. It's obnoxious, and again, wasteful. I don't think many would argue the fact that there are an innumerable amount of existing utility poles that could handle the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

SoftBank President Nikesh Arora steps down

Nikesh Arora has resigned from Softbank as its President and chief operating officer a day after he was given a clean chit in a probe that alleged foul play in the firm’s investments in Indian startups Oyo Rooms and Housing.com.

Arora’s exit comes less than two years after he was picked as successor by Masayoshi Son, the founder and chief executive officer of Japanese investor Softbank. Arora, the highest paid Indian born executive ever, who was poached by Son from Google, will leave Softbank on Thursday.

SoftBank said Arora and Masayoshi Son had disagreed over when Arora would replace Son as head of the group.

See SoftBank's website for the statement: Change of Representative Director (Resignation) (PDF)

Looks like he'll remain as an "Advisor: COO Nikesh Arora to take on advisory role at SoftBank Group Masayoshi Son to continue as Chairman & CEO (PDF)

• Like 2

OMG!

If you didn't think it was bad enough that Johnny Legere was giving stuff away...check this out...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmobile.tuesdays '> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmobile.tuesdays

Now there is an app for the stupid give aways!

The app was launched when the T-Mobile Tuesday offer was announced. It's nothing new.
  • Like 3

OMG!

If you didn't think it was bad enough that Johnny Legere was giving stuff away...check this out...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmobile.tuesdays '> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmobile.tuesdays

Now there is an app for the stupid give aways!

Hope no one is expecting free pizzas.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Would Son promote Marcelo to that job? If that happens, who runs Sprint?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Looks like Marcelo vs Legere has been good training grounds for Marcelo twitter snack talk.

Poor Verizon... <_<

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/745417532295741440

Marcelo better read.

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk