Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The density of sites in China is much higher, considering the population density is very high too.

In terms of geographic area, China is very comparable to the US.  But total wireless footprint is nowhere near as ubiquitous.  So, yes, site density is higher in China because coverage is confined largely to cities.

AJ

In terms of geographic area, China is very comparable to the US. But total wireless footprint is nowhere near as ubiquitous. So, yes, site density is higher in China because coverage is confined largely to cities.

AJ

Take NYC site density and increase by 4x at minimum and you got the average China Mobile urban density.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think sprint could and should consider putting some 25/41 bands on the shutdown nextel sites to add more density.. This would help get more consistent speeds and on 1900/greatly increase coverage and of course band 41..

This would also give people a much better perception of sprints LTE..

Many complaints are that it spotty and slow..

As an aside, I haven't seen much momentum in Sprint stores. Both of the stores I visited this last weekend were pretty empty but both stores were training new people in anticipation. I am not super surprised though. Sprint service still varies quite a bit here in Austin.

T-Mobile on the other hand had a waiting list just to be seen and the vast majority of people seemed to be coming from AT&T.

Maybe when I go in next weekend it will be busier.

I think sprint could and should consider putting some 25/41 bands on the shutdown nextel sites to add more density.. This would help get more consistent speeds and on 1900/greatly increase coverage and of course band 41..

This would also give people a much better perception of sprints LTE..

Many complaints are that it spotty and slow..

I think we all hope this and with the new leadership team, it may be more of a possibility. Unfortunately, only time will tell how many legacy Nextel sites will be converted. Right now, Sprint needs to focus on getting NV1.0 complete (B26/B25) and maybe with NV2.0 we will see more legacy Nextel sites transform into NV2.0 sites. Hopefully, they didn't terminate all of the leases. 

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/company-news/4x-the-data.htm

$45 for 2 GB of Data. This undercuts Sprint family share pricing (2 GB for $25+$25 line fee) by $5.

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/10-line-family-plan.htm

10 lines for just $10 per line after the second subscriber.  

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/double-your-data-tablet.htm

Double data when you add a tablet..

I wonder how Sprint will respond, if at all?

As much as I no longer trust BGR's opinions, sometimes they actually post facts: http://bgr.com/2014/08/05/verizon-two-year-contracts/

They lost me at the following:

Because while “saying no” to two-year contracts on Verizon might mean you don’t get a discounted phone, it definitely doesn’t mean that with T-Mobile, where you can get flagship phones for between $0 and $100 downand then pay off the remainder of the device’s cost over a 24-month period without signing any kind of service commitment.

It's thinking like this that's exactly what's wrong with America and why so many people are in debt. Installment plans aren't a discount. Just because you pay $0-$100 down doesn't mean that you're still not paying the full price. Okay, maybe if you got a great savings account that pays 1% interest and stashed the money there you would save $6 or so, but they're just fooling people by calling it a discount.

I just realized a consequence of these new plans, there are no longer discounted EPRP plans available.

They still have the subsidized Everything Plus Unlimited My Way for $70, which is cheaper than the $60 plan + EasyPay.

So yesterday, I went to a Sprint store, as my account is on the ED 1500 with 5 lines. 2 of the lines, mine and my wife's showed they are eligible for a easy pay upgrade. So I upgraded both lines from the iPhone 5s to the Galaxy s5 and switched the account over to the Sprint Share 20GB. All the lines are now charged 15 ea for access fee, and received 2GB each additional for 1 year.

I did not have to put any down payment. They do not run your credit if you are an existing customer, it appears its based off the status of the account and if you pay your bill on time. Good to know.

Once the at line burns through the 2GB that month, the data comes out of the bucket.  The 3 lines that were not eligible for easy pay, still got the 15 access fee, instead of the 40. Strange, but no complaints.  Hotspot is included, comes out of your shared data. 

Before I was paying 240 for 5 lines. Now 229 W/ the payments of the phones. Once those are paid off.. it will drop over 50. You can pay down your phone quicker if you want, which I plan to do. They said we can turn in our iPhones for a credit, we can put towards the bill, or the payments on the new phones. 

Not too bad. Also, I get a 25% discount from work, which should cover the taxes.

I wanted to share my experience in case anyone was still wondering, 

• Like 8

I just saw a commercial advertising Sprint's new Family Share Plans.  Not quite as good/simple as the old black and white commercials that featured Sprint CEO Dan Hesse but, I liked how they are straight to the point. Probably a step in the right direction in regards to advertising.  :tu:

Interesting, where did you see it? Have to check Youtube.

Once the at line burns through the 2GB that month, the data comes out of the bucket.  The 3 lines that were not eligible for easy pay, still got the 15 access fee, instead of the 40. Strange, but no complaints.  Hotspot is included, comes out of your shared data. 

The $15 vs $40 per line is something I've seen other people reporting that Sprint is doing. It is a nice savings for people moving a bunch of lines like you did. Have you tried out the hotspot at all?

T-Mobile on the other hand had a waiting list just to be seen and the vast majority of people seemed to be coming from AT&T.

TMO continues to have the advantage of being able to re-use att phones.

While coming to sprint mostly requires completely new phones, aside from nexus 5 and maybe a few others.

I think a lot of people here and elsewhere disregard how important that advantage can be.

Maybe gsm sucks, maybe it don't, but at least its the standard pretty much everywhere except sprint/vz.

Sprint and vz will always be disadvantaged when pulling customers from other carriers because of this.

• Like 3

So yesterday, I went to a Sprint store, as my account is on the ED 1500 with 5 lines.  . . .

I wanted to share my experience in case anyone was still wondering, 

I know the information is buried somewhere in preceding posts, but when does the sign-up/conversion period end?  And, if you have phones/hotspots on 2-year contracts, the total charge per phone is only $15/$20 under a converted plan, as long as you add a line & device on easy pay, regardless of where you are on the 2-year contracts?  If true, I would save almost $100/month even after adding the new line.  It just sounds too good.

• Like 1

I know the information is buried somewhere in preceding posts, but when does the sign-up/conversion period end?  And, if you have phones/hotspots on 2-year contracts, the total charge per phone is only $15/$20 under a converted plan, as long as you add a line & device on easy pay, regardless of where you are on the 2-year contracts?  If true, I would save almost $100/month even after adding the new line.  It just sounds too good.

Discounted phones are for after 8/22 I believe. The total charge would be $15 per line at the 20 GB tier or above. Don't forget to take into account employer discounts coming off of the data portion and not the line portion.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L4FXkfyfM69LNJ6-vJ0baMZxdSWJ8N8aQNS_vVd5XOM/

Maybe gsm sucks, maybe it don't, but at least its the standard pretty much everywhere except sprint/vz.

Sprint and vz will always be disadvantaged when pulling customers from other carriers because of this.

This is why the US should have legislated no GSM.  Go with the Qualcomm homegrown IS-95/IS-2000 as the wireless standard.  Tit for tat, Eurotrash.

AJ

• Like 1

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/company-news/4x-the-data.htm

$45 for 2 GB of Data. This undercuts Sprint family share pricing (2 GB for $25+$25 line fee) by $5.

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/10-line-family-plan.htm

10 lines for just $10 per line after the second subscriber.  

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/double-your-data-tablet.htm

Double data when you add a tablet..

I wonder how Sprint will respond, if at all?

Does anyone think that T-Mobile will do whatever it takes to have the best plans possible; even if it ends up hurting them? It sure seems like it to me with the path that they are on.

As for Sprint, while they could respond, I think if they lower prices anymore it may end up hurting them. But maybe giving more data for the price they already have?

Does anyone think that T-Mobile will do whatever it takes to have the best plans possible; even if it ends up hurting them? It sure seems like it to me with the path that they are on.

I think it is their end game for their Pump and Dump strategy. Of course that will only work if they are acquired by someone else... Other wise it will quickly become a train wreck.

• Like 2

I think it is their end game for their Pump and Dump strategy. Of course that will only work if they are acquired by someone else... Other wise it will quickly become a train wreck.

Yeah that's right. I forgot about that. They are just trying to inflate their stock so if/when someone does buy them out, they will be worth more. Will be interesting within the next few years.

As for Sprint, while they could respond, I think if they lower prices anymore it may end up hurting them. But maybe giving more data for the price they already have?

I think Sprint is missing out on an opportunity in their plans. As T-Mobile and AT&T have moved to data limits with throttling afterwards it has shielded those customers from worrying about potential overages. Even Ting has this type of system in place to prevent people from racking up a huge data charge. With Sprint Family Share you are still subject to overages which can add up if someone blows through an HD netflix movie etc. It would be nice to specify how much data per line and then either turn off data or throttle data to that line after that amount mostly because many people don't realize how much data certain activities uses. Does anyone here have the family share plan yet? Are there software tools to limit data per line or is it a free for all like it used to be?

This is why the US should have legislated no GSM.  Go with the Qualcomm homegrown IS-95/IS-2000 as the wireless standard.  Tit for tat, Eurotrash.

AJ

I do not disagree, that perhaps the US should have standardized on one or the other.

a large part of the perceived US lack of competition is because of the proliferation of carrier specific phones and incompatible network technologies.

the standards and practices that were enacted for landlines to be universal, should have also been applied to cellular technologies.

I don't wast my time trying to hate or love any particular network technology, I simply desire a single standard, which would provide greater compatibility and transferability between carriers.

• Like 3