Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Seems like the logical thing to do at least in areas like mine where the Sprint network is somewhere in between the big two and T-Mobiles in terms of density is crank B25 up to get as much range out of it as possible, strong blanket coverage should be easily achievable at spacing of 2-3 miles apart (as it is now most of it is blanket but gets real flaky in between cells or if you blink wrong), and turn up B26 to also blanket everything, ignoring the risk of it crashing and implement an aggressive algorithm to keep all devices on B25 until reaching -118 dbm or so, leaving B26 as the last resort everyone assumed it would be in the first place. and B41 (2 x B41 in the more crowded areas) should do just fine at keeping the two 5 Mhz FDD B25 carriers we have from crashing (one of them being upsized to 10 Mhz FDD). Makes sense doesn't it? The way It is now doesn't...

Wholly agreed.

Sometimes sprint just baffles everyone.

Maybe something will change when they finally have control over their own network but I'm feeling pessimistic and I'll believe a page was turned when I see it.

• Like 8

Do you know if Samsung plans to do this extensively in their markets?

It's a low priority deployment.

Majority of work and budget is still sprint 2.5. Sprint marked it as a 2016(?) bullet point last year but 4x2 mimo does extend the usable coverage (aka effective sector coverage) by a fair bit especially at edge of cell areas.

For Ericsson, they began earlier since they got nothing better to do these days since Nokia took over their 2.5 deployment.

I've seen some evidence of maybe Samsung 4x MIMO deployments but no confirmation.

Alcatel-Lucent land needs a lot of work though.

• Like 2

Seems like the logical thing to do at least in areas like mine where the Sprint network is somewhere in between the big two and T-Mobiles in terms of density is crank B25 up to get as much range out of it as possible, strong blanket coverage should be easily achievable at spacing of 2-3 miles apart (as it is now most of it is blanket but gets real flaky in between cells or if you blink wrong), and turn up B26 to also blanket everything, ignoring the risk of it crashing and implement an aggressive algorithm to keep all devices on B25 until reaching -118 dbm or so, leaving B26 as the last resort everyone assumed it would be in the first place. and B41 (2 x B41 in the more crowded areas) should do just fine at keeping the two 5 Mhz FDD B25 carriers we have from crashing (one of them being upsized to 10 Mhz FDD). Makes sense doesn't it? The way It is now doesn't...

B25/B26 channels are not wide enough, plain and simple.

Densifying is the solution, and its going to happen.

B25/B26 channels are not wide enough, plain and simple.

Densifying is the solution, and its going to happen.

I'll believe it when I see it. Until then the talk of doing it is just BS as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 5

Personally I suspect it's not going to happen. At least not till Sprint can prove to wall street that they are a viable contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint 4 years ago was in a good place with Wall Street as Sprint convinced them that they were not only taking the steps to be viable, but also that they were going to be the best. Wall Street will not like the latest moves Sprint is doing because it is what books call a Loser's Strategy. Let me see who else has the same strategy... Oh Sony. Sprint may think that by being cheap on its network that it is saving money and surviving, but it is just the opposite and going private, going bankrupt, or being bought out will be the only thing Sprint can do. Sprint has a perception problem and when people do make the switch and experience the network, it is not a good one. I'm on project fi and I force the network with each time my phone restarts to only use T-Mobile. Even if T-Mobile is operating at 1 Mbps and Sprint is at 120 Mbps, I get a better overall experience on T-Mobile.
  • Like 2

Sprint 4 years ago was in a good place with Wall Street as Sprint convinced them that they were not only taking the steps to be viable, but also that they were going to be the best. Wall Street will not like the latest moves Sprint is doing because it is what books call a Loser's Strategy. Let me see who else has the same strategy... Oh Sony. Sprint may think that by being cheap on its network that it is saving money and surviving, but it is just the opposite and going private, going bankrupt, or being bought out will be the only thing Sprint can do. Sprint has a perception problem and when people do make the switch and experience the network, it is not a good one. I'm on project fi and I force the network with each time my phone restarts to only use T-Mobile. Even if T-Mobile is operating at 1 Mbps and Sprint is at 120 Mbps, I get a better overall experience on T-Mobile.

That doesn't really make sense. I carry a sprint and an att phone in a market that doesn't have b26 and quite a few towers that haven't been upgrade and my experience on sprint is better than att. Further, people how have switched to sprint here don't complain about service.

• Like 2

That doesn't really make sense. I carry a sprint and an att phone in a market that doesn't have b26 and quite a few towers that haven't been upgrade and my experience on sprint is better than att. Further, people how have switched to sprint here don't complain about service.

AT&T is pretty bad in Phoenix now.  Sprint's okay in Phoenix, along with T-Mobile.  But I'm going purely based on reports I've read either here, or on Reddit.  From what I'm seeing is that T-Mobile's speeds are congested and Sprint's lacking 800 in the market.  But both have decent site density.  Sprint can be very good in some markets.  I wish they were better in Jacksonville.

• Like 1

I wish they were better in Jacksonville.

Hopefully NGN will help you guys out down there eventually.  I consider myself lucky because in this area Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon are pretty much on par now when it comes to LTE coverage, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon are co-located on 90% of the cell sites here.  I prefer Sprint's robust 800/1900 CDMA network, I never have dropped calls and voice quality/clarity is far above par compared to AT&T's.  

• Like 3

Sprint is being very silent about it and new small cells have reportedly been spotted in a few places already. Only thing is, it's very hard to determine if they belong to Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's easy. Just put your phone next to it and if it explodes, it was a Sprint small cell. :tu:

• Like 11

Sprint is being very silent about it and new small cells have reportedly been spotted in a few places already. Only thing is, it's very hard to determine if they belong to Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Easy test number 2 -- if it's powered up and running, then it's VZW.

Kidding people kidding.

I've actually been rather silent around here for a couple months or less. As I've been using sprint yet again. (Thankfully I have a very understanding wife lol) and it has always sucked in my areas since maybe a year into WiMAX (which was never used in my area).

Last couple of months have been good. Not great but I'll take that.

• Like 2

Well speaking of B26 optimization I think it's finally happening, I'm in one of my normal hangouts and normally I lose LTE if I turn the wrong way but I was just in the restroom and I held onto B26 at roughly -110dBm. And I'm picking up B41 here and there, well damn it's about time.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Questions:

On sensorly website Sprint's 2g/3g coverage is very broad comparable to ATT but its LTE footprints is much smaller than ATT.  Is this because Sprint does not have LTE install on many of its cell sites or is it because Sprint relies on its partners for network roaming for 2g/3g? ie 2g/3g map includes coverage offered by Sprint's roaming partners whereas LTE map only shows Sprint's native coverage.

• Like 1

Questions:

On sensorly website Sprint's 2g/3g coverage is very broad comparable to ATT but its LTE footprints is much smaller than ATT. Is this because Sprint does not have LTE install on many of its cell sites or is it because Sprint relies on its partners for network roaming for 2g/3g? ie 2g/3g map includes coverage offered by Sprint's roaming partners whereas LTE map only shows Sprint's native coverage.

It's varied. It's these reasons, plus, Sensorly is not a complete LTE mapping service. It's crowd sourced. There are many areas where Sensorly shows Sprint 2G/3G mapped but not showing LTE. Even though LTE may be live.

The biggest reason is Sensorly data for the 2G/3G goes back to 2010/2011. So that mapping may be really old, and no one has since gone back and mapped LTE since it has gone live in an area. Also, many Sprint LTE devices, especially early devices, did not like to reacquire LTE after they dropped to 3G. I have been on long trips where I have gone in and out of LTE coverage but only 3G mapped.

So, there are many reasons why the difference. Chief of which is likely coverage. But that is far from exclusive.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It's varied. It's these reasons, plus, Sensorly is not a complete LTE mapping service. It's crowd sourced. There are many areas where Sensorly shows Sprint 2G/3G mapped but not showing LTE. Even though LTE may be live.

The biggest reason is Sensorly data for the 2G/3G goes back to 2010/2011. So that mapping may be really old, and no one has since gone back and mapped LTE since it has gone live in an area. Also, many Sprint LTE devices, especially early devices, did not like to reacquire LTE after they dropped to 3G. I have been on long trips where I have gone in and out of LTE coverage but only 3G mapped.

So, there are many reasons why the difference. Chief of which is likely coverage. But that is far from exclusive.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

Being crowdsourced, isn't the number of AT&T users on Sensorly greater than the number of Sprint users due to the higher AT&T customer count vs. Sprint's customer count? Wouldn't that have an affect on the scope/coverage of the visualized mapping on Sensorly for AT&T vs. Sprint?

• Like 1

With sprint stock still taking a hit is masa getting ready to be bought or try and buy T-Mobile in order to survive? Maybe get a bailout since the govt wants 4? The network is getting better but sprints $$$$ isn't? What next?

Who knows what's next. The current political climate is not conducive to a merger (this may change after the November elections). I doubt Sprint will get bailed out by the government. My guess is SoftBank will either increase or scale back their investment (depending on how committed they are) within the next 3-6 months.

I mentioned this in the investing thread, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Marcelo gets the boot in 2016. Nothing but the network has seen any improvement in his tenure thus far, and most other sectors of the business have regressed in my opinion.

Who knows what's next. The current political climate is not conducive to a merger (this may change after the November elections). I doubt Sprint will get bailed out by the government. My guess is SoftBank will either increase or scale back their investment (depending on how committed they are) within the next 3-6 months.

I mentioned this in the investing thread, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Marcelo gets the boot in 2016. Nothing but the network has seen any improvement in his tenure thus far, and most other sectors of the business have regressed in my opinion.

I'm not certain that Marcelo is booted less than a year after this thread started - he's just now getting his executive team in place. I'd imagine that if SoftBank wanted transitional leadership, Masa would have kept Hesse and Co. on board.

I think 2016 is the make or break year for Marcelo/Sprint, though... Not like that's going out on a limb or anything. :)

• Like 2

I'm not certain that Marcelo is booted less than a year after this thread started - he's just now getting his executive team in place. I'd imagine that if SoftBank wanted transitional leadership, Masa would have kept Hesse and Co. on board.

I think 2016 is the make or break year for Marcelo/Sprint, though... Not like that's going out on a limb or anything. :)

He's been CEO long enough to see a bigger turnaround than we're currently seeing. T-Mobile had a bigger turnaround in as much time, if not less. T-Mobile's situation is different from Sprint's in a lot of ways, of course, but I'm just saying he's had enough time to show his hand and so far there hasn't really been much improvement in many areas of the business. I have no idea how much of this is his fault vs. Sprint's culture or SoftBank's guidance, though.

He's been CEO long enough to see a bigger turnaround than we're currently seeing. T-Mobile had a bigger turnaround in as much time, if not less. T-Mobile's situation is different from Sprint's in a lot of ways, of course, but I'm just saying he's had enough time to show his hand and so far there hasn't really been much improvement in many areas of the business. I have no idea how much of this is his fault vs. Sprint's culture or SoftBank's guidance, though.

Really? All the speed tests showing Sprint either better than or vastly improved in all the markets they've won lately? The cost cutting measures? The customer satisfaction improving drastically? Anyone who can't see improvement in Sprint in business and network practices isn't looking hard enough or is just ignoring the obvious things that have gotten better. I have a few complaints, but for the most part I'm still happy. Aside from the obvious - waiting on native coverage since 2008 when I joined Sprint - all other things I've had arise have been promptly resolved except one item recently (my galaxy tab 10.5" glass broke on screen. Screen still works fine, no issue with LCD, but the insurance is a joke. $200 deductible to get a replacement when mine only needs a glass piece in front that costs about $75. I don't understand why simple things like that can't be fixed in house...especially when I pay for both insurances..combined like $11 or $13 per month. That's my only unresolved issue. Sprint has even gotten better in this rural town, but still not enough to reach me (maybe with band 26 optimized it will)

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Really? All the speed tests showing Sprint either better than or vastly improved in all the markets they've won lately? The cost cutting measures? The customer satisfaction improving drastically? Anyone who can't see improvement in Sprint in business and network practices isn't looking hard enough or is just ignoring the obvious things that have gotten better. I have a few complaints, but for the most part I'm still happy. Aside from the obvious - waiting on native coverage since 2008 when I joined Sprint - all other things I've had arise have been promptly resolved except one item recently (my galaxy tab 10.5" glass broke on screen. Screen still works fine, no issue with LCD, but the insurance is a joke. $200 deductible to get a replacement when mine only needs a glass piece in front that costs about $75. I don't understand why simple things like that can't be fixed in house...especially when I pay for both insurances..combined like $11 or $13 per month. That's my only unresolved issue. Sprint has even gotten better in this rural town, but still not enough to reach me (maybe with band 26 optimized it will)

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Data speeds are very different from coverage - and the network is the only place I'd say Sprint has measurably improved since Marcelo took over. But most of this was already in motion under Hesse - Marcelo just benefits from it. You need a brand new phone to take advantage of these new speeds, but that will change over time as more phones get radios capable of CA - but then the speeds will decline as they have for every other carrier.

The customer service I would not say has improved. In many ways it has regressed. Call wait times are longer, it's not unusual for chat to be plain unavailable or have to wait because I'm 5-10 people in (before it was instant). I often get connected with people from overseas who are barely trained in Sprint policies and procedures. Plans and promos change all the time, and nobody knows what in the world is going on with them. Reps in stores are worried about their jobs (those cost cutting measures) and are worried about sales to keep their jobs - slamming is only more common now than it was a few years ago.

Sprint is not in the accidental damage repair business. They don't replace the screen on your tablet, they give you a remanufactured or new tablet for your $200 deductible. Screens on most tablets are not serviceable parts; they're glued in so it isn't so simple to fix. If you want to pay someone $75 to replace the screen, go to Batteries Plus or some repair place in your town and cancel the insurance. Carrier insurance is hardly ever in the customer's interest in my experience.

Data speeds are very different from coverage - and the network is the only place I'd say Sprint has measurably improved since Marcelo took over. But most of this was already in motion under Hesse - Marcelo just benefits from it. You need a brand new phone to take advantage of these new speeds, but that will change over time as more phones get radios capable of CA - but then the speeds will decline as they have for every other carrier.

The customer service I would not say has improved. In many ways it has regressed. Call wait times are longer, it's not unusual for chat to be plain unavailable or have to wait because I'm 5-10 people in (before it was instant). I often get connected with people from overseas who are barely trained in Sprint policies and procedures. Plans and promos change all the time, and nobody knows what in the world is going on with them. Reps in stores are worried about their jobs (those cost cutting measures) and are worried about sales to keep their jobs - slamming is only more common now than it was a few years ago.

Sprint is not in the accidental damage repair business. They don't replace the screen on your tablet, they give you a remanufactured or new tablet for your $200 deductible. Screens on most tablets are not serviceable parts; they're glued in so it isn't so simple to fix. If you want to pay someone $75 to replace the screen, go to Batteries Plus or some repair place in your town and cancel the insurance. Carrier insurance is hardly ever in the customer's interest in my experience.

Six months ago, I would've agreed with you on Sprint's customer service. But my last several interactions (across multiple channels) have been nothing short of absolutely positive. They've made a lot of progress on customer service improvements.

• Like 4