Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I don't see why Sprint cant upgrade 50 sites to band 41 per day. On a national level that is possible and that would be over 18,000 sites. They definitely do less than 50 upgrades per day.

Do you have technical experience in mobile phone network deployment?

Has nothing to do with Sprint's actions, but rather the Dow has taken a beating due to foreign unease (China)

The Dow has only been down 3% the past five days.

Sprint is down more than 13% the past five days.

• Like 1

The Dow has only been down 3% the past five days.

Sprint is down more than 13% the past five days.

The market is worried about sprint being able to roll over its debt. The junk bond market is taking a pounding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint Shake-Ups Continue as Product Head Leaves

David Owens, Senior VP of Product for the last 3 years and a 25+ Year Sprint Veteran has been replaced.

According to the Article, he was in charge of product strategy, device selection, engineering and relationships with handset makers, among other duties. His last day will be Jan. 29.

Sounds like Sprint made the decision per the Internal Memo cited.

• Like 1

David Owens, VP of Product and a 25+ Year Sprint Veteran has been replaced.

According to the Article, he was in charge of product strategy, device selection, engineering and relationships with handset makers, among other duties. His last day will be Jan. 29.

Sounds like new devices may make its way over.  Sprint's flagships are kind of limited.  Get either a Galaxy, iPhone, or an LG.  The other three carriers have a lot more exclusives (Sony phones, Samsung Active series, LG V10, Droid, etc.)

• Like 2

Sounds like new devices may make its way over.  Sprint's flagships are kind of limited.  Get either a Galaxy, iPhone, or an LG.  The other three carriers have a lot more exclusives (Sony phones, Samsung Active series, LG V10, Droid, etc.)

Besides unlocked stuff, I never found Sprint's device selection limited. I assume all that will change once they start releasing LTE only devices and they become more unlocked friendly.

David Owens, Senior VP of Product for the last 3 years and a 25+ Year Sprint Veteran has been replaced.

Maybe we will see more stuff with Brightstar as well now?

• Like 1

What do you mean?

Well Brightstar distributes phones to carriers, and Marcelo was the founder, I'm just wondering if Sprint will get a wider selection of phones now.

Though I may thinking wrong , haven't had lunch yet...

highly-illogical.jpg

• Like 1

Well Brightstar distributes phones to carriers, and Marcelo was the founder, I'm just wondering if Sprint will get a wider selection of phones now.

Though I may thinking wrong , haven't had lunch yet...

highly-illogical.jpg

SoftBank acquired Brightstar when it brought Marcelo on as CEO of Sprint. Brightstar does provide an incredible advantage for Sprint, as well as cash flow for SoftBank as the parent company. Among other things, Brightstar runs Apple's buyback program around the world.

• Like 2

I wonder what the rift here was with him being let go.... Could this be it?

What kind of new thinking was Marcelo, etc. looking for?

I wonder what the rift here was with him being let go.... Could this be it?

What kind of new thinking was Marcelo, etc. looking for?

The joking side of me says its because folks have complained about not getting the V10 when everyone else did.  :devil:

But all joking aside, I doubt that was the case. Aside from the LG V10, the other examples mentioned are not good ones. Sony. if I'm not mistaken. will probably never make a Sprint phone or another CDMA phone for the US Market. The only one I can remember being CDMA was the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play for Verizon and Droid is a Verizon marketing thing as well. Not too familiar with the Active series though. 

TS

• Like 3

Besides unlocked stuff, I never found Sprint's device selection limited. I assume all that will change once they start releasing LTE only devices and they become more unlocked friendly.

Sprint does a good job with providing the mainline flagships (ie: Galaxy S, Note series, LG G series, etc.)  But you can not buy a Galaxy S6 Active and use it on Sprint.  You cannot buy a Sony Xperia phone and use it on Sprint.  You cannot buy  a Oneplus device (just an example, don't hurt me!) and use it on Sprint.  Meanwhile, these devices for the most part are available on competing networks (mainly T-Mobile/AT&T.)  I for one would have purchased the Sony Z3 or Z3c if it came to Sprint like it was rumored to.  Sprint's getting better at supporting multi-carrier devices (such as Nexus and Moto X), but they still need to improve what can be used on the network.  Sony devices already support CDMA (VZW), so the only thing keeping it from Sprint is Sprint, themselves.

• Like 1

The joking side of me says its because folks have complained about not getting the V10 when everyone else did.  :devil:

But all joking aside, I doubt that was the case. Aside from the LG V10, the other examples mentioned are not good ones. Sony. if I'm not mistaken. will probably never make a Sprint phone or another CDMA phone for the US Market. The only one I can remember being CDMA was the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play for Verizon and Droid is a Verizon marketing thing as well. Not too familiar with the Active series though. 

TS

Maybe he was let go in preparation for other device initiatives... "Android Forever" has been waiting in the Wings Forever.

• Like 1

No, VoLTE does not. That may be your experience. But many others with different locations or different providers or in different markets cannot say the same. So, do not make universal declarations.

AJ

I replied, in agreement, to Acsertion.

Sent from my SM-N910T

And that is a legitimate observation.  But do you make/receive many VoLTE calls?  Do you travel to other markets -- especially rural areas?  Have you noticed reports that VZW users have disabled VoLTE or have even been instructed to disable VoLTE?

AJ

I've been hearing more and more reports of Verizon users leaving VoLTE on and not having issues like they used to. I personally use VoLTE all the time and rarely have a dropped call. It's starting to come around. 

• Like 1

I'm pasting my response from the other thread since that got closed: 

That seems like unnecessary work, basically doing a new build out after already doing a new build out, in areas that have already been built out... Instead they could be focusing the resources on expanding instead??? Unless those leases are actually that expensive that going backwards is actually cheaper? 

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 

Moving to microwave backhaul also seems like a backwards move to me. 

Several of their sites by me are already on government owned property, mainly water towers. 

Your market does not speak for the other markets, However moving to Microwave backhaul sounds like a good move to me.

With all the NGN talk coming up, Sprint could utilize Microwave as cheaper means of getting backhaul to small cells. And because they aren't paying AT&T and Verizon huge fees for fiber line access they can possibly get with another provider for fiber.

Imagine a single unit Sprint could deploy with Microwave backhaul and Solar/Wind power.. Now that's amazing

I've been hearing more and more reports of Verizon users leaving VoLTE on and not having issues like they used to. I personally use VoLTE all the time and rarely have a dropped call. It's starting to come around. 

I have VoLTE on with Verizon and at least in my market it works really well and sounds great.

• Like 1