Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Interesting situation in St Louis, Fraydog. I'm surprised T-Mobile would give such a major sales advantage to a third party retailer in a market which ought to be major for them.

I'm puzzled also by the loyalty some people have to AT&T, since AT&T is really struggling in these reports. Yet, I've seen very little criticism about it on wireless tech sites. Mostly, its still just a bunch of crap against Sprint, even though in many areas, Sprint is rated better than AT&T. I'm not against AT&T at all, though I do think they ought to improve their network, considering these reports.

Then again, I'm wondering if it isn't some sort of strategy in getting ready to claim they need to acquire T-Mobile, in order to improve the network. One thing I'll say positive for T-Mobile, is their corporate stores I've seen or been into, usually are quite crowded. I'm definitely not surprised at all by their high subscriber adds. So, T-Mobile would be a great addition for AT&T, if AT&T somehow were able to be successful in another attempt to acquire T-Mobile.

Honestly, after buying Directv do you really think they can buy Tmo?

I can see them buying/leasing spectrum, but not buying Tmo. It's their fault Tmo is where it is now after their previous blunder.

Rumor has it sprint and Tmo might do something together network wise. Don't be surprised if att/vzw make moves then. As att/vzw would go after dishs spectrum, or strike a leasing deal with sprint to keep the upper hand.

However, it looks like vzw with their 5g is thinking it's cheaper to deploy that tech and might not buy as much 600 as some think. Honestly we can have fun speculating but that's the problem ... What makes sense isn't always what makes the most$$$$$ and we often forget the companies want to make max $$$$$. If they cared about us we'd all gotten free iPhones !

Honestly, after buying Directv do you really think they can buy Tmo?

I can see them buying/leasing spectrum, but not buying Tmo. It's their fault Tmo is where it is now after their previous blunder.

Rumor has it sprint and Tmo might do something together network wise. Don't be surprised if att/vzw make moves then. As att/vzw would go after dishs spectrum, or strike a leasing deal with sprint to keep the upper hand.

However, it looks like vzw with their 5g is thinking it's cheaper to deploy that tech and might not buy as much 600 as some think. Honestly we can have fun speculating but that's the problem ... What makes sense isn't always what makes the most$$$$$ and we often forget the companies want to make max $$$$$. If they cared about us we'd all gotten free iPhones !

I don't think it'll be for a while AT&T may decide to make an offer for T-Mobile. Considering they got the DirecTv deal through the FCC, could mean AT&T might not want to push for another such major deal with the current FCC, but they may try after the elections, especially if there is a Republican administration.

By then, AT&T ought to have had enough time to arrange internally for it, at least making sure of its finances. Although, it is very possible they may not even try again acquiring T-Mobile. It is a sense I have based on my outlook of their network ratings slipping, along with knowing how AT&T loves acquiring other companies as means to grow their business, etc.

However, my preference definitely is for Sprint and T-Mobile either to merge or to have an arrangement like what some analysts have mentioned lately, involving the formation of the Netco idea.

http://247wallst.com/investing/2015/09/26/big-insider-buying-seen-in-sprint-sears-level-3-weatherford-and-more/

Sprint Corp. (NYSE: S) continues to see the company’s shares gobbled up by Softbank, the Japanese multinational telecommunications and Internet company. The firm bought an additional 13,334,431 shares of the carrier at prices that ranged from $4.24 to $4.66 per share. The total for the trade came to a whopping $59.1 million. Sprint shares were trading on Friday’s close at $4.30.

Even though dt has let it be known they want to sell Tmo what makes people think sprint isn't the better deal? Son is a smart man and if the right offer comes he will sell.

It is good news Masa and Softbank keep purchasing more shares of Sprint. It shows they are more serious about their connection with Sprint being strong. Also, they will be more inclined to do things that keep strengthening Sprint as a carrier.

One of those things certainly would be to acquire T-Mobile, which is what I'm hoping for. Sprint's rejection of their participation in the 600mhz spectrum auction can only make sense if Softbank/Sprint fully intends to make a serious move at acquiring T-Mobile. Particularly in getting whatever T-Mobile obtains at it.

• Like 2

It is good news Masa and Softbank keep purchasing more shares of Sprint. It shows they are more serious about their connection with Sprint being strong. Also, they will be more inclined to do things that keep strengthening Sprint as a carrier.

One of those things certainly would be to acquire T-Mobile, which is what I'm hoping for. Sprint's rejection of their participation in the 600mhz spectrum auction can only make sense if Softbank/Sprint fully intends to make a serious move at acquiring T-Mobile. Particularly in getting whatever T-Mobile obtains at it.

First and foremost, I'm pro Sprint TMO merger.

But I am not sure if tmo is weak enough to make the feds change its mind.

And lastly that ship has long set sail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What is so strange is that our govt claims it's looking out for us by keeping 4. How in the world is sprint/Tmo ever supposed to compete with the big 2? How many years... Let's say decades to build out a network to equal in size? How much money and where is it going to come from? Tmo/sprint are super regionals in comparison to the 2. The rumor of them doing something together network wise is their best bet. Then later SoftBank can buy them.

• Like 3

What is so strange is that our govt claims it's looking out for us by keeping 4. How in the world is sprint/Tmo ever supposed to compete with the big 2? How many years... Let's say decades to build out a network to equal in size? How much money and where is it going to come from? Tmo/sprint are super regionals in comparison to the 2. The rumor of them doing something together network wise is their best bet. Then later SoftBank can buy them.

I believe the four are needed as to spar of each group. The lower two providers keep the top two in a price a check. Where the two top providers keep the bottom two, in check on expanding or keeping the network in shape.

Yeah I'll let that sink in

• Like 2

I believe the four are needed as to spar of each group. The lower two providers keep the top two in a price a check. Where the two top providers keep the bottom two, in check on expanding or keeping the network in shape.

Yeah I'll let that sink in

The problem is the market is saying it wants less than four. Regulator can say they want 100 national carriers it doesn't mean they are going to get it. If sprint or T-Mobile go bankrupt because the market (i.e. Consumers) only make three players profitable then we will have three carriers anyway.

• Like 3

The problem is the market is saying it wants less than four. Regulator can say they want 100 national carriers it doesn't mean they are going to get it. If sprint or T-Mobile go bankrupt because the market (i.e. Consumers) only make three players profitable then we will have three carriers anyway.

I see what you are saying now. And you be correct.

• Like 1

http://247wallst.com/investing/2015/09/26/big-insider-buying-seen-in-sprint-sears-level-3-weatherford-and-more/

Sprint Corp. (NYSE: S) continues to see the company’s shares gobbled up by Softbank, the Japanese multinational telecommunications and Internet company. The firm bought an additional 13,334,431 shares of the carrier at prices that ranged from $4.24 to $4.66 per share. The total for the trade came to a whopping $59.1 million. Sprint shares were trading on Friday’s close at $4.30.

They are heading to S Corp or non public. Would be realatively easy to reissue debt as well under non public debts laws.

The reason I've posted so often about these mergers and acquisitions, is because the topic has always been a major interest of mine. Despite the drawbacks to consolidation, which I fully understand and agree on those issues, I've always been "stuck" with a favoring viewpoint of mergers and acquisitions, sometimes even when there are so many drawbacks, even most analysts and speculators are against a particular merger. It would seem like I'm one of the world's most to the right Republicans, when in actuality, I'm the opposite.

In the case of these wireless M&As, I am really, genuinely looking at this more with care, as I do care about the drawbacks alot more than what I typically do when these issues happen where I quite often think "just let them merge". Also, while I don't particularly like some of these wireless M&As, I'll mention them as possibilities when I read something which makes one seem more likely, or adding something to the possibility.

In the case of Sprint, I really want them to merge with T-Mobile, though there is a distant possibility Verizon might get Sprint later on, if they decide to buy Sprint for its spectrum. T-Mobile may go to AT&T, if AT&T tries again to acquire T-Mobile. Dish could go anywhere. Those are the main possibilities I see happening, though I'm hoping the most for Softbank/Sprint/T-Mobile/Dish.

It will be an interesting 2016 to say the least. Once again we have some speculation on another merger/buyout for sure. Dish still needs to do something asap. Could that be the reason sprint is falling out of the 600? Maybe sprint tries again for Tmo with the plan of getting dish into the game?? All those rumors before I don't recall the SoftBank/Tmo merger proposing giving dish some tower agreements or divesting/swapping spectrum with dish.

I find it strange sprint is backing out, however I think it's a game sprint is playing. Let's see

• Like 2

I added Dish into the equation because of it having tried to merge with T-Mobile, which doesn't appear to be happening anymore. Then again, Softbank has its history with Dish back when they were going after the control of Sprint. If Softbank and Sprint were to get T-Mobile, then Dish could try to sell to them, or be a major partner, as a way to get their content distribution with a major wireless company. Also, it would give Sprint a content bundling sales advantage, making them more competitive against AT&T.

• Like 1

It will be an interesting 2016 to say the least. Once again we have some speculation on another merger/buyout for sure. Dish still needs to do something asap. Could that be the reason sprint is falling out of the 600? Maybe sprint tries again for Tmo with the plan of getting dish into the game?? All those rumors before I don't recall the SoftBank/Tmo merger proposing giving dish some tower agreements or divesting/swapping spectrum with dish.

I find it strange sprint is backing out, however I think it's a game sprint is playing. Let's see

I think that Sprint and T-Mobile need to at least merge network assets. Both of them went deeply into debt to deploy LTE and by the time they finish they have to start all over again for 5G. I had hoped they would have network shared for LTE but that was not to be. I hope they look at their debt load and put egos aside...

• Like 1

I think that Sprint and T-Mobile need to at least merge network assets. Both of them went deeply into debt to deploy LTE and by the time they finish they have to start all over again for 5G. I had hoped they would have network shared for LTE but that was not to be. I hope they look at their debt load and put egos aside...

It's not their decision to make. The FCC doesn't want them to merge.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Someone in the comments section of this Engadget article regarding Sprint's auction announcement, this person named TimmmayTimmmay, has made a few comments stating that Sprint is using an old network "backbone". What exactly is this person referring to?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/26/sprint-passes-on-fcc-wireless-auction/

Edit Note : I'm pasting their comment here

"They're right, considering all the spectrum they are going to reallocate from WiMax. But the problem is the network backbone is ancient and overloads too easily. One of my Union friends here in Chicago was handling the wind-down of US Cellular here a few years ago when they exited the market (and sold it to Sprint) and he went on and on about how US Cellular's Huawei equipment was more compact, efficient, and cheaper to deploy than Sprint's, which was either really old Cisco equipment or "low-end" modern Cisco equipment (mostly 2941's) because they were too cheap to buy the all-fiber stuff.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/158342-a-rare-look-inside-an-lte-cell-site-operated-by-sprint-in-san-Francisco

It may appear high tech, and I know that article is 2 years old, but that is exactly what Sprint is still deploying NOW and the only thing that is fiber is the feed and interconnects. The antenna array is still 1Gbps copper, which means an 54 antenna (9x2, some ARE 9x3, in a triangle) site only has a theoretical maximum 5400MB/sec throughput, or ~5220MB/sec with overhead. That's ridiculous, and that's why Sprint's performance is so erratic. Considering current 4G LTE technology can throughput 50Mbps, that means <1000 customers could technically bring an entire cell site to its knees. So it's no wonder connections are artificially throttled to <20Mbps in my experience, testing at 4AM when the tower should be damn near idle.

This isn't a spectrum problem, this is a capacity problem. And the only saving grace is Sprint is bleeding customers, which means the towers are less loaded. The problem is they have a LOT of MVNO's like Virgin, Cricket, Ting, and so on, so the actual number of "customers" using these sites isn't clear (Sprint discloses they have 4.3 million customers through MVNO's but they don't disclose which of those have unlimited data, and many, such as Virgin, do, and those people while treat data like a cheap commodity."

The reason I've posted so often about these mergers and acquisitions, is because the topic has always been a major interest of mine. Despite the drawbacks to consolidation, which I fully understand and agree on those issues, I've always been "stuck" with a favoring viewpoint of mergers and acquisitions, sometimes even when there are so many drawbacks, even most analysts and speculators are against a particular merger. It would seem like I'm one of the world's most to the right Republicans, when in actuality, I'm the opposite.

In the case of these wireless M&As, I am really, genuinely looking at this more with care, as I do care about the drawbacks alot more than what I typically do when these issues happen where I quite often think "just let them merge". Also, while I don't particularly like some of these wireless M&As, I'll mention them as possibilities when I read something which makes one seem more likely, or adding something to the possibility.

In the case of Sprint, I really want them to merge with T-Mobile, though there is a distant possibility Verizon might get Sprint later on, if they decide to buy Sprint for its spectrum. T-Mobile may go to AT&T, if AT&T tries again to acquire T-Mobile. Dish could go anywhere. Those are the main possibilities I see happening, though I'm hoping the most for Softbank/Sprint/T-Mobile/Dish.

I don't see AT&T nor VZW being able to buy Sprint --- unless Sprint has shut down completely 

• Like 1