Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I understand how it could appear like that, but what he is doing isn't really genius, it is something many others could have done, and possibly far more, if they wanted to.

Many others could have done, but didn't. That the thing about marketing; it's seems so simple, yet it's really not.

People need to give credit where credit is due. John Legere has done some really good things for T-Mobile and the wireless industry. He has created a competitive market and the recent back and forth iPhone lease specials between Sprint and T-Mobile are proof.

• Like 4

I think that is a bad analogy because it doesn't include the requirement to use services to get that free ride. The reason this is an issue is because T-Mobile effectively drives users on the network to certain providers of services such as the already mentioned music services. It also plays favorites with the Ookla Speedtest.net App being exempted but others such as Sensorly Speedtest are not. Thus it is no longer neutral in providing bandwidth as it disincentivizes apps that are not exempted and further it raises unfair barriers to entry for new apps that may have otherwise been on even footing aside from established apps having a larger userbase.

The cab example still works. Let's say the cab driver turned to you and said no charge because of your destination. If you had chosen another destination, he would have charged. It was his choice to give you the ride gratis, but there was nothing else special about the trip. He didn't take special shortcuts. And if you chose the other destination, he didn't take the long way around. It was gratis, not preferred.

Does T-Mobile do anything to hamper or hinder access to other music sites or speed test sites? No. The net is completely neutral.

Violation of net neutrality is about traffic shaping, not traffic compensation.

Sorry but I simply don't buy the 'no harm because it is free!' Line of thought on net neutrality because it is an incomplete line of thinking that assumes no potential harm is being done.

So if your cable company offers 90 days free HBO, it drives you to watch more HBO than Showtime. That violates broadcast neutrality and is wrong? Edited by kamiller42

The cab example still works. Let's say the cab driver turned to you and said no charge because of your destination. If you had chosen another destination, he would have charged. It was his choice to give you the ride gratis, but there was nothing else special about the trip. He didn't take special shortcuts. And if you chose the other destination, he didn't take the long way around. It was gratis, not preferred.

Does T-Mobile do anything to hamper or hinder access to other music sites or speed test sites? No. The net is completely neutral.

So if your cable company offers 90 days free HBO, it drives you to watch more HBO than Showtime. That violates broadcast neutrality and is wrong?

I think it's clear to us that as long as you benefit in the prioritization, you're all for big business picking winners and losers in data prioritization.  Don't try to gloss it over for us.  You're Anti-Net Neutrality.  We get it.  Nothing more needs to be said.  You're not going to convince us otherwise with another hole filled analogy.  So let's just move on.

• Like 7

I think it's clear to us that as long as you benefit in the prioritization, you're all for big business picking winners and losers in data prioritization. Don't try to gloss it over for us. You're Anti-Net Neutrality. We get it. Nothing more needs to be said. You're not going to convince us otherwise with another hole filled analogy. So let's just move on.

I am anti net neutrality. I don't see why the government should shift profits from pipe to content when the market is distributing it otherwise (i.e. Consumers). Content is what draws people to the web but pipe brings them there. What has been the capex for wireless companys over the last eight years? How many different network versions have we gone through? With out the innovation on the side of the pipes the last few years we would never have moved off Evdo.

I am anti net neutrality. I don't see why the government should shift profits from pipe to content when the market is distributing it otherwise (i.e. Consumers). Content is what draws people to the web but pipe brings them there. What has been the capex for wireless companys over the last eight years? How many different network versions have we gone through? With out the innovation on the side of the pipes the last few years we would never have moved off Evdo.

I don't have a problem with someone being against Net Neutrality.  They are entitled to their opinion.  But it does grate on me exceptionally for someone to pretend to be for Net Neutrality and then claim that their exceptions are OK.

However, an expansion of the Net Neutrality argument at this point should go somewhere else than this thread.  It is worthy of its own thread.

• Like 4

Your happy non-net neutrality world! :mad2:

believe it or not this is what one real dsl company considered their innovative contribution.

bpeqhnbl.jpg

• Like 9

I am anti net neutrality.

I don't see why the government should shift profits from pipe to content when the market is distributing it otherwise (i.e. Consumers).

Those two statements have literally nothing to do with each other.

• Like 4

So if your cable company offers 90 days free HBO, it drives you to watch more HBO than Showtime. That violates broadcast neutrality and is wrong?

The cab is still a bad choice of example but this is more like cabbie offering to drive you to a Seaworld for free when you originally wanted to go to Six Flags on the condition you buy the ticket to Seaworld before he drives you. Your choice might change based on the incentive offered because the alternative is now more expensive.

Again, your HBO comparison is also flawed as that is a service offered by the cable company to encourage you to purchase more services. That would be akin to T-Mobile offering free tethering/hotspot puck for 90 days or something.

• Like 1

I think it's clear to us that as long as you benefit in the prioritization, you're all for big business picking winners and losers in data prioritization.  Don't try to gloss it over for us.  You're Anti-Net Neutrality.  We get it.  Nothing more needs to be said.  You're not going to convince us otherwise with another hole filled analogy.  So let's just move on.

I guess the problem is I'm too familiar with this as I work in IT. I understand the difference between traffic prioritization and unmetered traffic. They are not the same.

I'm anti-net neutrality? It is an interesting topic. I'm probably 50/50 on it. I think certain aspects are bad, and there are legitimate cases for other aspects. As you say, discussion for a different thread.

• Like 2

I wonder how the launch is going today. Walked by some of the stores earlier and a lot of carrier's stores seem to be normal traffic, no crazy lines.

Seemed that way to me too. I pass by Sprint/AT&T/Verizon stores on the way to work and from the drive past they seemed empty and the Verizon store I had lunch by was barren.

Maybe Apple's direct selling strategy is having a big impact?

• Like 1

Seemed that way to me too. I pass by Sprint/AT&T/Verizon stores on the way to work and from the drive past they seemed empty and the Verizon store I had lunch by was barren.

Ive never noticed the carriers having long lines. Usually like 30 or 40 people. It'll def be consistent through the day with people. Tmrow will be more busy for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a final update:

Phone, chat reps, employees have both confirmed to me today: Current iPhone Forever users are not eligible for the $1 iPhone plan.

(can't blame us for asking though!)

Lol guy in the store said I was! When my phone comes in(smh) he swears that's what I am going on. That price is only good till you upgrade next year anyways right?

I've been talking with some of the customer care people on twitter and they are kind of conflicting themselves. They say I can't get on the $1 lease because I don't own the 6 outright, but that I can return the 6s and re-do my lease terms.

I talked to 2 different stores (a Radio Shack and corporate store) and they both told me different answers.  So, I'm going to the corporate store after work to see if they can get it to work, since they told me it would be able to be re-done under the new promotion.

We shall see...

Here's why the confusion happened:

Beat T-Mobile US

Speaking of the offer, Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure claims the company “had no plans to do it” before T-Mobile US’ announcement on Wednesday. He then told his team to beat the offer, with 10 employees staying up all night to get the $1 plan ready.

“We are certain that more people will continue to switch to Sprint because of the great service and value we offer,” said Claure in a statement.

All the frontline phone/web/store reps were essentially kept in the dark on this until the last minute.

• Like 5

I've been talking with some of the customer care people on twitter and they are kind of conflicting themselves. They say I can't get on the $1 lease because I don't own the 6 outright, but that I can return the 6s and re-do my lease terms.

I talked to 2 different stores (a Radio Shack and corporate store) and they both told me different answers.  So, I'm going to the corporate store after work to see if they can get it to work, since they told me it would be able to be re-done under the new promotion.

We shall see...

Right so does that mean when you return the 6s you pay the lease off or are they saying "oh just trade it in and you're good" then giving you the $1/mo offer. If it is the former then you're better off with the already discounted $15/mo (before legacy credit) and if it is the latter then who wouldn't take that deal?

Everyone I spoke to today was clear that you had to own the phone outright rather than be on an existing lease. I guess we still need clarification to work it's way through the system.

https://bgr.com/2015/09/25/sprint-iphone-6s-launch-no-lines/

hmmm

I always feel a little bad for the employees who set these up and have no one show up, not a large enough study to say anything, especially when your consider how popular online ordering is. 

Right about now... I really wish I had gone to a store instead of online ordered... still waiting for UPS.... USPS came like hours ago and I saw them drive off like half an hour after what seemed like the end of their route...  :rolleyes:

• Like 1