Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

1 hour ago, Johnner1999 said:

To add...

Plus it seems like no matter how far Sprint comes. It always appears - next 12-18 months it'll be addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s exactly right. If we are being told by Sprint that as of June 5th (http://newsroom.sprint.com/triband-upgrades.htm), that Band 41 is only on 60% of its Macro sites currently.... and that it won’t be until April/May 2019 (End of Fiscal 2018, based on prior reporting dates).... what should be our expectations for network improvement over that time?

Furthermore, what does “substantial majority” mean? How close is it to 100%? When does this hit 100%? By Fall/Winter of next year?

What’s frustrating here is that we all knew this needed to happen for the Sprint network to improve to competitive parity. However, Marcelo told us back in September 2015 (http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/18/technology/sprint-network/index.html) that:

Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure has made a bold statement: By 2017, its network will perform better than Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile.

"We will have the best network in the next two years," Claure told CNNMoney in an interview Friday. 

That echoes comments Claure made in May, when he said Sprint would be among the "top two" in terms of overall network performance in the United States. Now, he is throwing down the gauntlet, saying Sprint will leapfrog all the competition.

Wow. Not only was he wrong. He was completely wrong. Sprint has 2.5 GHz on only 60% of its Macro sites at this point. There was no possible way this was ever going to happen given the Capex spend and deployment timeline, but he told the market and us consumers this anyway.... and I feel like a bit of a fool for believing it.

Only way Sprint’s Network leapfrogs now is a merger...

Or we wait for Sprint to grind along on its own and keep watching the calendar for the next year or so.

This makes me sad as a customer, and mad as an investor.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

That’s exactly right. If we are being told by Sprint that as of June 5th (http://newsroom.sprint.com/triband-upgrades.htm), that Band 41 is only on 60% of its Macro sites currently.... and that it won’t be until April/May 2019 (End of Fiscal 2018, based on prior reporting dates).... what should be our expectations for network improvement over that time?

Furthermore, what does “substantial majority” mean? How close is it to 100%? When does this hit 100%? By Fall/Winter of next year?

What’s frustrating here is that we all knew this needed to happen for the Sprint network to improve to competitive parity. However, Marcelo told us back in September 2015 (http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/18/technology/sprint-network/index.html) that:

Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure has made a bold statement: By 2017, its network will perform better than Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile.

"We will have the best network in the next two years," Claure told CNNMoney in an interview Friday. 

That echoes comments Claure made in May, when he said Sprint would be among the "top two" in terms of overall network performance in the United States. Now, he is throwing down the gauntlet, saying Sprint will leapfrog all the competition.

Wow. Not only was he wrong. He was completely wrong. Sprint has 2.5 GHz on only 60% of its Macro sites at this point. There was no possible way this was ever going to happen given the Capex spend and deployment timeline, but he told the market and us consumers this anyway.... and I feel like a bit of a fool for believing it.

Only way Sprint’s Network leapfrogs now is a merger...

Or we wait for Sprint to grind along on its own and keep watching the calendar for the next year or so.

This makes me sad as a customer, and mad as an investor.

In my opinion, Marcelo came very close to criminally lying to shareholders in 2015 and early 2016. He suggested that small cell network deployments were happening nationwide when it was only in parts of a few test markets and constantly stated inflated CAPEX number he had for the year that he had zero intent of hitting. I believed he was intentionally engaged in a confidence game to hit his bonus.  

After that period, I lost all confidence in him. The only reason no one complained is that the plan and the only plan was a Tmobile merger, because it is the only plan that will work for sprint. They need the stock above 8 so Mass could get the kind of deal he want. In the end they werent able to do it, so Masa gave up and is now getting the best deal he can. 

• Like 2

I'm here to put ice water on the creeping into negativity.  No more feelings.  Stick to facts, and stop picking a fight with everyone who has a different opinion than you.  If people who have a Pro Sprint opinion can't voice them here without being bludgeoned, where can they go? 

S4GRU will be much more heavily moderating as necessary.  We are not here to host all your Sprint complaints.  Lots of places for you to go post your Sprint negativity.  Effective immediately.

Robert

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I'm here to put ice water on the creeping into negativity.  No more feelings.  Stick to facts, and stop picking a fight with everyone who has a different opinion than you.  If people who have a Pro Sprint opinion can't voice them here without being bludgeoned, where can they go? 
S4GRU will be much more heavily moderating as necessary.  We are not here to host all your Sprint complaints.  Lots of places for you to go post your Sprint negativity.  Effective immediately.
Robert
Hopefully magenta covers over yellow entirely.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Johnner1999 said:

Hopefully magenta covers over yellow entirely.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

And that's what's on the menu!

Robert

10 hours ago, S4GRU said:

And that's what's on the menu!

Robert

It would be nice if Sprint “yellow” could live on in some form, like the orange “Cingular” colors did for a while in the AT&T Wireless logo...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

New plans incoming...

These look a lot more in line with Tmobile, more feature rich (Tidal and Hulu included) and sustainable, even prioritization has been bumped to 50GB..

Prices already creeping upwards....

2 minutes ago, banananuts87 said:

Prices already creeping upwards....

I'm totally ok with pricing going up (thats why I mentioned sustainability) slightly with features added, as long as they don't force people to switch plans that they are happy with..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nexgencpu said:

New plans incoming...

These look a lot more in line with Tmobile, more feature rich (Tidal and Hulu included) and sustainable, even prioritization has been bumped to 50GB..

Now they give Tidal for free...something they should've did from the beginning. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

New plans incoming...

Instead of having two plans, they should have offered HD streaming as a $10 add-on option. With these two plans, an entire family has to buy HD if only one person wants it.

Also, I hope they are including taxes and fees in these new plans. Because if they aren't, then Sprint is selling a Kia Sorento at Chevrolet Corvette prices. A family of four would have $10 worth of Admin Fees added to the bill each month. Then add taxes & fees and Unlimited Basic could be anywhere between $15-25 more a month than T-Mobile.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

Instead of having two plans, they should have offered HD streaming as a $10 add-on option. With these two plans, an entire family has to buy HD if only one person wants it.

Also, I hope they are including taxes and fees in these new plans. Because if they aren't, then Sprint is selling a Kia Sorento at Chevrolet Corvette prices. A family of four would have $10 worth of Admin Fees added to the bill each month. Then add taxes & fees and Unlimited Basic could be anywhere between $15-25 more a month than T-Mobile.

I agree.

Sprint should also allow 480p/1080P HD/Ultra HD on a per line basis.

Verizon allows mixing and matching of “Unlimited Plans” like this.

• Like 1

If taxes and fees included I'd switch. But I highly doubt it.

These prices are close to Vzw prices.

• Like 1

Though to be honest Sprint is competing with ATT more with these plans. By including Hulu and tidal. Granted not as good to some as what ATT is including. But it’s something. Where as I don’t believe Verizon gives you any bonus media streams at all.

Good job Sprint

• Like 1

Wireless prices will definately increase without the merger and probably will with the merger. The question is what that increased cost is going to get you. Personally, I want it to pay for the killer network a combined company could produce. 

• Like 1

I agree. But flipside I actually like the all in plans or save you money plan. I’d imagine it’s easier for the salesperson and shopper.

But I do like how VZW mix and match works (though you don’t really save much)

Idk [emoji52]

Progress! ?

Seems like they’re working their way down the Vegas strip! “Better coverage keeps players at the tables longer” is a good selling point.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Seems like they’re working their way down the Vegas strip! “Better coverage keeps players at the tables longer” is a good selling point.

Paris and Harrah's are both Caesar's Entertainment properties. That makes me wonder if they've cut some kind of deal with Caesar's to get all of their resorts on The Strip connected first.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rawvega said:

Paris and Harrah's are both Caesar's Entertainment properties. That makes me wonder if they've cut some kind of deal with Caesar's to get all of their resorts on The Strip connected first.

Good point! Possibly.

I’d love to see them strike a deal with Hyatt/Hilton/Marriott nationwide.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

If the merge goes though those small cells will either stick around or get replaced by AWS small cells which is a good thing for the network in either case.

How complicated is it to swap out that equipment?

Just now, RedSpark said:

How complicated is it to swap out that equipment?

Given that it's already there, likely not difficult. That's part of the reason why small cells got deployed in Manhattan so quickly. Sprint already had a ton of Clearwire picocells deployed there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

If the merge goes though those small cells will either stick around or get replaced by AWS small cells which is a good thing for the network in either case.

I would think they would stay considering very little benefit to switch them to AWS, especially since these can hit over 200mbs under ideal conditions.

2 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

I would think they would stay considering very little benefit to switch them to AWS, especially since these can hit over 200mbs under ideal conditions.

The FCC doc stated they want AWS to be the main LTE band and to get folks off of 2.5GHz as fast as possible in order to use it all for 5G. That's the only reason why I suggested that they might decide to switch them out.

• Like 1