Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I don't like that this is the thrid network strategy in four years and that densification has not been mentioned.  But good to see CAPEX increasing. 

Also, I really loved that he came out and said a merged company would not have sought to raise price but get even more aggressive, something that I was positing as a possibility. 

Awesome conference, super insightful. One nice thing that Marcelo pointed out is that Sprint now has instant access to the Altice backhaul.

He used Long island as an example of having a hard time with permits, but they can instantly get around that through Altice. 

• Like 4

Tarek Robbiati said during Sprint’s Altice announcement earlier this week that Sprint’s CapEx surge is happening in the “medium term”: http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/softbank-s-son-doubling-down-sprint-will-triple-capex-to-6b-medium-term

Based on Marcelo’s comments from the Conference, what’s actually going to happen here? Will there be a really quick CapEx ramp up or is this going to happen in the “Medium Term” as the CFO said?

10 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Tarek Robbiati said during Sprint’s Altice announcement earlier this week that Sprint’s CapEx surge is happening in the “medium term”: http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/softbank-s-son-doubling-down-sprint-will-triple-capex-to-6b-medium-term

Based on Marcelo’s comments from the Conference, what’s actually going to happen here? Will there be a really quick CapEx ramp up or is this going to happen in the “Medium Term” as the CFO said?

Marcelo pointed to 2018 for Capex ramp up.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

But this year isn't capex 2.5b

Next year is 11 months away, no?

No on both counts. Guidance for this year is $3.5 to $4 billion. Through the first 2 quarters they've spent $1.8 billion so they're on track there.

Years in this context refers to fiscal years. For Sprint the fiscal year ends on 3/31, meaning next year would be a little under 5 months away.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Mr.Nuke said:

No on both counts. Guidance for this year is $3.5 to $4 billion. Through the first 2 quarters they've spent $1.8 billion so they're on track there.

Years in this context refers to fiscal years. For Sprint the fiscal year ends on 3/31, meaning next year would be a little under 5 months away.

thats a long time from now...but i m looking forward to continued improvements..if they improve enough i will switch back to sprint...

1 hour ago, nexgencpu said:

Awesome conference, super insightful. One nice thing that Marcelo pointed out is that Sprint now has instant access to the Altice backhaul.

He used Long island as an example of having a hard time with permits, but they can instantly get around that through Altice. 

That’s awesome. I wonder how quickly they will deploy small cells in the NYC tri area now?

• Like 1

Thanks for the correction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Mr.Nuke said:

It is interesting that they will ramp up spending about the projected time they can start adding 800mhz in the Mexico border exclusion area.  If I was Sprint, I would pour money into Southern California to get 800mhz going asap.  That is a massive population area that is currently suffering without a low band.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, IamMrFamous07 said:

That’s awesome. I wonder how quickly they will deploy small cells in the NYC tri area now?

Much faster using Altice for backhaul, that’s for sure!

We really need it densification here in downtown DC. I wish there was a similar backhaul partner for them here to move things along faster. I don’t know if the holdup is CapEx limitations, permitting or backhaul delays, but I hope some kind of arrangement is possible. This is Comcast and Fios land.... although RCN has a footprint here as well too. Perhaps this could work?

Sprint has much better metrics on this of course, but this is a Mobile App from SoftBank which shows network congestion on a map: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crowd-map/id1259059305?mt=8

More info about it here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170629005440/en/AGOOP-SoftBank-Group-Offer-Crowd-Map-App

I hope Sprint drops a Massive MIMO Site on each of the massively congested areas shown on the Map here for Downtown DC.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Nuke said:

It is more insightful than these tend to be.

-$5-6 billion may be on the low side on CapEx going forward.

-Large push back towards traditional towers.

-Going back to the 25/26/41 on every macro tower where possible plan.

Yeah I don't really see how they can continue to be relevant as a national carrier without adding 41 to all of the non-top-25 metros and hundreds (thousands?) of college towns that don't have it. Every time I visit friends at UNC Wilmington or App State I'm confused that Sprint expects a single carrier of B25 to properly serve 15,000 college students and faculty compacted into a campus space.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, utiz4321 said:

I don't like that this is the thrid network strategy in four years and that densification has not been mentioned.  But good to see CAPEX increasing. 

Also, I really loved that he came out and said a merged company would not have sought to raise price but get even more aggressive, something that I was positing as a possibility. 

The first strategy was Marcelo continuing what Hesse had planned: Network Vision with Band 25/26/41 on all sites.

The second strategy as I understood it was Marcelo prioritizing certain areas for Band 41 and a renewed focus on voice performance with “good enough” data speeds. The idea was that a dropped Call was more obvious, annoying and frustrating than slower data. Some truth to that, although people seem to be on the phone less and less. I also think this strategy was part of the cost reduction plan to prepare Sprint for a merger with T-Mobile.

Now we’re on the third strategy: the “No Merger” plan. Now Sprint is recommitting to a full 25/26/41 Build to its sites as well as expansion and densification. Masa is finally all-in and Marcelo is committed too.

Indeed it’s been a roller coaster.

I wouldn’t have expected Marcelo to say anything else but that to be honest. Sprint will get to that competitive scale it wants eventually. Having Altice as a partner will help.

• Like 3

Thing is we've heard things like this before. I am really hoping Sprint can execute on this. What I'm worried about though is even if they get their network to be the best in the country, it is still associated with the Sprint name and people still despise them. I hope I am wrong and that Sprint blows everything out of the water.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fraydog said:

So Sprint is pushing both small cells and macro towers? I hope this is the new focus along with disruptive plans. 

i don't see them "pushing" macros. quite the opposite it sounds like...

18 minutes ago, though said:

i don't see them "pushing" macros. quite the opposite it sounds like...

He did say pretty clearly, "We're going to go towards a more traditional network buildout...as we plan to enhance dramatically the coverage that Sprint has today...using traditional macro deployment." This was about 12 and a half minutes into the interview.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Mr.Nuke said:

Going back to the 25/26/41 on every macro tower where possible plan.

This is already happening in the Seattle market. In the past two months in my usual area I’ve seem roughly 25 swapouts of regular NV equipment for triband antennas/radios. Exciting stuff. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Paynefanbro said:

He did say pretty clearly, "We're going to go towards a more traditional network buildout...as we plan to enhance dramatically the coverage that Sprint has today...using traditional macro deployment." This was about 12 and a half minutes into the interview.

I'm guessing now that the merger is off they realize they're gonna have to match T-Mobile's huge-ish rural-ish buildout over the last year.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, caspar347 said:

I'm guessing now that the merger is off they realize they're gonna have to match T-Mobile's huge-ish rural-ish buildout over the last year.

True. I guess the good thing here is they already have b26/b25 ready to go for those rural areas is just getting it on those towers.  

Sprint has their work cut out for them. I feel like this is the last straw as far as people taking Sprint for their word. I do believe that Sprint can build a higher quality network than T-mobile.

• Like 1