Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

If one of the 4 "national" wireless companies is removed by merger or other means prices will go up. Sprint has to find a solution that saves them and prevents the loss of a national carrier. If this means seeking a merge with a cable company so be it. While I wouldn't prefer this if it keeps competitive prices I will be able to accept it.

In one form or another all carriers have said that if competition of one company is removed they will all increase their prices. This will only hurt the consumer.

There is no way to correct what the auctions did, this was all free market at work. There is nothing fair in business and each has to work with the resources they have. As we have seen they are all swapping spectrum to make things work for them.

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

Swapping spectrum is the best way to correct the auctions, although its true what you said about the auctions in general. However with fewer carriers, which would give carriers more spectrum, it will be easier for them to make better deals to more successfully correct any errors from the auctions.

Basically what I'm referring to, is having the carriers be able to look at their spectrum holdings and figuring out the best way for all of them to organize the widest spectrum bandwidth in the most reasonable fashion amongst their competitors, giving a way towards equitable compromise, such as a three carrier market, where carriers can negotiate to where each has a good proportion of 20x20 spectrum, for instance.

The other issue being each market having enough spectrum to where there isn't a huge difference between markets when a consumer of a particular carrier has service issues when they travel to another market, due to their carrier not having sufficient spectrum there. I think its important for the carriers to negotiate this situation for their customers.

Regarding price... I've been hoping for pricing decrease with all the competition there already is. Problem now though is the big two carriers, AT&T and Verizon are suffering because of Unlimited Data, with their networks severely slowing down. They are going to have to increase prices in order to expand their networks, or else change the way they deliver Unlimited, if they are going to maintain or reduce prices.

I'd like to see them go to a speed capped Unlimited Data plan, or else go to a reduced price per gb plan that would help boost their networks. Sprint however is not in any bad shape once they build, deploy, and densify, due to their excellent spectrum. This is why Sprint really should be more lucrative of a merger option than it seems to be. Unless of course the densification needed is being viewed as too costly by potential suitors.

And the trolls are incessant in their Sprint bashing. Again, if it doesn't work for you, simply don't use it. For most people - especially urban and suburban dwellers - Sprint's service is more than adequate and is improving each quarter.
  • Like 10

And the trolls are incessant in their Sprint bashing. Again, if it doesn't work for you, simply don't use it. For most people - especially urban and suburban dwellers - Sprint's service is more than adequate and is improving each quarter.

I'm glad Sprint's improving once they get better with their coverage in New Jersey which I know is improving all the time then I would probably switch to their prepaid subsidiary Boost Mobile I'd like to have Sprint back

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Hope? I'm sorry the company will always be the black sheep. I still can't on my conscience recommend Sprint to anyone. I'll always have my sero line and be a customer. Thank God, its not my sole provider. Ain't see nothing yet! Yeah, your damn right. 6 years running after NV and I'm still having the same problems.

sprint still has plenty of LTE holes in many places thats also sad..but theres also hope for improvemnt....

• Like 1

Hope? I'm sorry the company will always be the black sheep. I still can't on my conscience recommend Sprint to anyone. I'll always have my sero line and be a customer. Thank God, its not my sole provider. Ain't see nothing yet! Yeah, your damn right. 6 years running after NV and I'm still having the same problems.

Sucks its not working for you..

Speak for yourself..

NYC/North NJ network is awesome!

• Like 10

its alot of money to obviously build out the network...tmobile was in just as bad of shape as sprint and it can be done for sprint to become like to tmobile

• Like 1

And yet Band 41 is still not nationwide.....sorry I had to be petty

As I recall, Marcelo changed the strategy for Band 41 deployment to prioritize certain areas and entirely stop work in others.

However, based on what we've seen for Sprint's CapEx over the last few years since Marcelo's tenure, it seems to have less to do with prioritization at this point and more to do with actual funds available for CapEx.

You'd think that Sprint's debt load didn't leave much room for CapEx, but Marcelo said they didn't have a "capital constraint as it relates to spending CapEx" (https://seekingalpha.com/article/4075474-sprints-ceo-marcelo-claure-presents-j-p-morgan-global-technology-media-telecom-conference)

Phil Cusick

I guess, it’s only four years, I apologies. Seems like longer, so, and yet, we really haven’t seen that big push with capital and now you are talking about doubling CapEx this year. Is that enough? Is it -- can you really drive the business faster or is there still level of capital constrains that you feel like which don’t have the money to really drive as fast as we like?

Marcelo Claure

So that’s a huge misconception. We have never had a capital constrain as it relates to spending CapEx. What -- we were always challenge with, I says, is there really a need to spend as much as everybody else to create a great network experience and I think that’s a huge misconception of the industry that you set up a cap and I have seen even in -- within my team, you set up a CapEx budget and then people fight hard to go spend that money. And in many cases without need or they go by gear or they try to do unnatural things in order to basically hit that CapEx number.

Look at the quality of our network and look how much money we have spent. We have spent the lowest amount of CapEx in -- and be able to deliver the fastest progress than anybody else. Now, why, because we spent a lot of money before through our network vision we were the higher spenders as it relates to the number of customers that we have.

So we have set up a really good foundation, very good place now. We are going to do massive densification of our network. We plan to deploy millions of Magic Boxes. And what we told -- the way we look at it we should be spending plus minus $4 billion for the next three years and that should allow us to get where we want to get with the network.

• Like 2

Since Marcelo has come on board, Sprint's performance has improved, more sites perform better, higher speeds, wider channels, less poor performing sites, better Sprint financial results and prices are LOWER. Marcelo worked out spectrum swaps with competitors and allows handsets to be brought in and whitelisted. There are a few regions, mostly Ericsson markets, where the B41 play is pretty late. But it's starting to happen now.

Sprint is ramping up CapEx for the first time in a long time. We are just starting to see glimpses of what that's bringing.

You can bitch about Oklahoma, Ocala, Oconee, Osceola or Orogrande...But that's not going to do anything. We don't host your complaints anyway. I'm sick of the same people complaining. Sprint has been doing a helluva lot and it's documented throughout our forums, and now they're about to do a helluva lot more than they've been. S4GRU is getting more and more exciting again.

And if Sprint ain't your thing, that's OK. Churn. And if you aren't interested in watching it, you don't have to hang out here either. But if you do want to hang out here and watch it...Quit 'yer bitchin'.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 20

At 3 Years later, Marcelo has done an incredible job so far with what he inherited at the time.... and it can be easy to forget what a mess it was.

I'm excited for what lies ahead. I think Sprint will surprise a lot of people.

• Like 1

At 3 Years later, Marcelo has done an incredible job so far with what he inherited at the time.... and it can be easy to forget what a mess it was.

I'm excited for what lies ahead. I think Sprint will surprise a lot of people.

i m excited for gigabit speeds!! i am impatiently waiting for 4 carrier aggregation the suspense is killing me ! but the pain us sprint users are going through now is worth it ! and i m impressed with the lte performance and i m looking forward to increased speeds and coverage. it takes awhile but hey you cant rush perfection :)

Yeah I read that earlier and thought, "um....no." Nowhere near enough of these have likely been shipped to any given city or town yet to make any difference whatsoever in network performance aside from the specific building in which that isolated magic box happens to be located. For instance I noticed I had a strong LTE signal in a restaurant here in midtown Atlanta where I used to struggle to even send a text. Per SCP, it was due to a MB. I asked and, sure enough, there it sat by the host desk. This was Rosa Mexicano in Atlantic Station for any Atlantans reading this.

• Like 1

I looked at RootMetrics earlier today and see a handful of second half 2017 results.  Does anyone know which phone they are utilizing for this round of testing?

Galaxy 8.