Sprint to expand to Montana using shut down CellularOne sites

In all actuality, I seen a document over a year ago that referenced which market Montana was in.  I need to find it, I don't recall off the top of my head.

Robert

3, 2, 1...

That is the number of native Sprint sites currently in Montana.  Now, what was that about a Montana thread?

AJ

• Like 7

No "Tisdale" is doing it for AT&T for sure in Nebraska. A roaming deal with USCC is the likely path at this point for Sprint and rural Nebraska.

US Cellular has better rural coverage in many parts of Oregon than Verizon does so a reciprocal roaming agreement with USCC would "stoke my fire." Even better idea, they should just buy USCC. That would make much more sense than a purchase of T-Mobile. I promise you that as soon as Sprint proved to have much better rural coverage than T-Mobile and Spark speeds in town, they could have all T-Mobile's subscribers voluntarily without having to buy them like they tried to do.
  • Like 1

US Cellular has better rural coverage in many parts of Oregon than Verizon does so a reciprocal roaming agreement with USCC would "stoke my fire." Even better idea, they should just buy USCC. That would make much more sense than a purchase of T-Mobile. I promise you that as soon as Sprint proved to have much better rural coverage than T-Mobile and Spark speeds in town, they could have all T-Mobile's subscribers voluntarily without having to buy them like they tried to do.

Sprint likely does not want a significant portion of them.

I worked through the uscc buy out last year alot that came over to sprint were subprime customers.

I think USCC's customer base in Chicago is much different than it is in much of the rest of its territory. 

I worked through the uscc buy out last year alot that came over to sprint were subprime customers.

Well I know in my area I wouldn't be surprised if us cellular has 90% market share... So there has got to be some good paying customers somewhere.

Well I know in my area I wouldn't be surprised if us cellular has 90% market share... So there has got to be some good paying customers somewhere.

Firstly, USCC has the perception of good rural coverage, and many of their customers have them for this reason.  If those customers were given an ultimatum of switching to sprint or going to another carrier, they might just choose the other carriers that have the rural coverage.  Since sprint received no infrastructure, the customers coverage would change no matter what, so I do not blame them for looking for what suited them best. USCC in chicago had relatively little spectrum and couldn't compete in the same way they did in the rest of their footprint.  This is why I was told that they wanted to sell the spectrum to sprint in the first place.  

A complete purchase of USCC would gain the infrastructure, spectrum and customers.  Sprint would be able to consolidate tower locations in the areas they serve, and add this spectrum to their own towers, as well as adding sprint spectrum to USCC towers.  Since they use the same technology, and I believe their phones are even set up with many of the same bands (although initially intended for roaming) so a PRL update would allow for an instant increase in coverage.  It would benefit customers of both companies, so the perception should be generally positive.  Also, I believe that USCC has a positive balance sheet, so with the synergies from network and operations, it should help sprint stay profitable.  This isn't including the customers they would be able to add in the area by having a much more competitive product.   They are the 5th largest US carrier and have the next largest amount of coverage and customers, but they also own spectrum licenses in some areas outside their current footprint which combined with sprint spectrum could allow a combined company to offer service in places neither of them serve. 

To make sure that I am (slightly) sticking to the topic, lol...  the addition of the MTPCS towers and infrastructure, while it helps sprint satisfy the build out requirements and keep their spectrum, as well as lessening the roaming and possibly gaining a few extra customers, by itself it will not really change the perception of sprint, or offer much difference to current customers.  But if they were able to compliment this purchase with a purchase of USCC, they would have better coverage in all of the NW US, as well as the midwest and northeast.  

• Like 8

Firstly, USCC has the perception of good rural coverage...

Yes, yes and yes. A purchase of USCC is making more and more sense. I don't know if USCC can be had for a decent price, or if the Carlson's can come to terms to even sell. But I think this should be Masa's #1 acquisition target.

Letting Tmo get MetroPCS was a huge Sprint blunder. The Sprint board should have let Hesse buy them out. Could be a lot more B25 carriers or wider B25 carriers out there now with MetroPCS purchase. And Tmo would not be as strong as they are, especially wideband. This strengthened Tmo a lot.

I'm afraid USCC is going to be like MetroPCS. If Sprint doesn't move on USCC, someone else will. And it's just going to hurt Sprint more whomever it goes to. In some ways, it will also be like the Alltel loss.

USCC has a lot of nice assets and coverage that will help fill in a lot of Sprint's maps. And now that Sprint is moving to add B12/B4 to its devices, USCC becomes a good and easy network fit again. Sprint could allow Sprint customers near overnight access on USCC LTE, EVDO and 1x and vice versa. They can even have a sharing agreement in place so that can start even before the deal receives FCC approval and closes.

Then they can take their time on USCC network Network Vision upgrades and decommissioning redundant sites. It could be quite easy. And the pick up of Cellular band spectrum is just gravy on the deal.

Sprint should be able to get USCC for a few billion. Masa could finance it himself, if he wanted. But they could easily secure the financing for that purchase on quick and affordable terms. Including the network upgrade costs.

Sprint + USCC + RRPP + CCA = Duopoly Disruptor

To me it seems a no brainer. And Sprint may even be better to just buy the network and spectrum only. Not deal with inheriting so many employees, real estate/offices, and an influx of expected subprime customers. Just offer existing customers a great deal to join. There is a lot of corporate baggage the distracts the purchase, like employee integration. It may be better just to buy the network/spectrum only. If such a deal can be arranged.

Almost no matter how you slice the deal, it should be done.

Masa, make it so! Randall Stephenson would buy USCC just to pick up Nebraska alone. And keep YOU from getting something that would make you more powerful. It's time.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 19

They did the B26 FIT in Montana somewhere. They may be clear on the Canadian side of the border in that region. And if not, it would just impact Kalispell and Great Falls.

The IBEZ extends 62mi/100km from the border. So Great Falls (about 100 mi south of Canada) should be fine. Downtown Kalispell is about 55 mi south of the border, so you'd be right that that's cutting it close. Maybe they can turn down the power or better yet, strike a deal with the license holder in Canada. SMR or no SMR, hopefully they kept the lease to the Nextel site in Kalispell.

In all actuality, I seen a document over a year ago that referenced which market Montana was in.  I need to find it, I don't recall off the top of my head.

May make sense to spin Montana (and hopefully western Dakota!) into their own market, given how large an area it would cover.

Masa, make it so! Randall Stephenson would buy USCC just to pick up Nebraska alone. And keep YOU from getting something that would make you more powerful. It's time.

Yes, I'm sure the big hole in coverage in NE is a bit of a sore spot for them. While my first preference would have been for USCC to remain independent, now that it's become clear that the old regional carriers cannot likely survive on their own for much longer (they and C Spire are the only Tier 2 facilities-based carriers left), I would certainly love to see Sprint purchase them over anyone else. If Masa's got that much of an itch for M&A, better to scratch it with USCC than endlessly lust after the hot girl (T-Mobile) that her big brother (the FCC) will never let him have.

• Like 1

Yes, yes and yes. A purchase of USCC is making more and more sense. I don't know if USCC can be had for a decent price, or if the Carlson's can come to terms to even sell. But I think this should be Masa's #1 acquisition target.

Letting Tmo get MetroPCS was a huge Sprint blunder. The Sprint board should have let Hesse buy them out. Could be a lot more B25 carriers or wider B25 carriers out there now with MetroPCS purchase. And Tmo would not be as strong as they are, especially wideband. This strengthened Tmo a lot.

I'm afraid USCC is going to be like MetroPCS. If Sprint doesn't move on USCC, someone else will. And it's just going to hurt Sprint more whomever it goes to. In some ways, it will also be like the Alltel loss.

USCC has a lot of nice assets and coverage that will help fill in a lot of Sprint's maps. And now that Sprint is moving to add B12/B4 to its devices, USCC becomes a good and easy network fit again. Sprint could allow Sprint customers near overnight access on USCC LTE, EVDO and 1x and vice versa. They can even have a sharing agreement in place so that can start even before the deal receives FCC approval and closes.

Then they can take their time on USCC network Network Vision upgrades and decommissioning redundant sites. It could be quite easy. And the pick up of Cellular band spectrum is just gravy on the deal.

Sprint should be able to get USCC for a few billion. Masa could finance it himself, if he wanted. But they could easily secure the financing for that purchase on quick and affordable terms. Including the network upgrade costs.

Sprint + USCC + RRPP + CCA = Duopoly Disruptor

To me it seems a no brainer. And Sprint may even be better to just buy the network and spectrum only. Not deal with inheriting so many employees, real estate/offices, and an influx of expected subprime customers. Just offer existing customers a great deal to join. There is a lot of corporate baggage the distracts the purchase, like employee integration. It may be better just to buy the network/spectrum only. If such a deal can be arranged.

Almost no matter how you slice the deal, it should be done.

I doubt USCC would need much for upgrades. Some 8t8r panels, I don't know if their existing panels can broadcast b25. But the physical plant and backhaul is in fairly good shape in most of their markets.

Also, I'm not sure why USCC's subprime subscribers would be a problem since Sprint was willing to absorb all of T, which has a ton of subprime subscribers as well.

I doubt USCC would need much for upgrades. Some 8t8r panels, I don't know if their existing panels can broadcast b25. But the physical plant and backhaul is in fairly good shape in most of their markets.

I do not like the idea of a USCC acquisition soon.  Carlson family, stay independent.  SVLTE vs e/CSFB would be an issue -- at both the infrastructure and handset levels.  And I fear it would leave a bad taste in the mouths of acquired subs, leading to the usual churn away from Sprint.

AJ

I am sure given the quantity of lower A block 700MHz that USCC owns, I am sure T-Mobile is looking at them as a easy target for acquisition as well.

I just want Sprint to move on USCC if or before T-Mobile does. I feel that if T-Mobile gains USCC, Sprint will be set back a ton.

I am sure given the quantity of lower A block 700MHz that USCC owns, I am sure T-Mobile is looking at them as a easy target for acquisition as well.

I don't think T has the money for a buyout. Unlike Masa, Deutsche Telekom doesn't like pouring capital into the market. They might be able to afford a spectrum swap or a purchase of the 700A spectrum only.

I just want Sprint to move on USCC if or before T-Mobile does. I feel that if T-Mobile gains USCC, Sprint will be set back a ton.

It would be a setup two fold, 1) Sprint would fall to #4 and T-Mobile would advance to #3 & 2) It would give T-Mobile a lot more low band spectrum as well as higher band allowing even more areas to get wideband LTE putting even more pressure on Sprint to get Spark up and running.

• Like 4

I don't think T has the money for a buyout. Unlike Masa, Deutsche Telekom doesn't like pouring capital into the market. They might be able to afford a spectrum swap or a purchase of the 700A spectrum only.

There are rumors that other EU carriers are interested in making a play with T-Mobile (not just IIliad). I have heard Vodafone specifically is interested and apparently their CEO has said in the past they would love to buy out DT's stake if they ever decide to leave the US market. Vodafone certainly has the $ to make things happen. I really hope that Sprint & T-Mobile don't spend all their time beating each other up and each respectively pick one of the big two to beat up on, $T and $VZW are the ones we need to bring back down to size. 

• Like 2

I do not like the idea of a USCC acquisition soon. Carlson family, stay independent. SVLTE vs e/CSFB would be an issue -- at both the infrastructure and handset levels. And I fear it would leave a bad taste in the mouths of acquired subs, leading to the usual churn away from Sprint.

AJ

If there was no threat of acquisition, this would be fine. I think USCC is surrounded by threat of acquisition. Sprint may even get into a bidding war. One of the few times we completely disagree.

• Like 1

I didn't think they'd move on MetroPCS, either. I was expecting it to be the duopoly. Although, USCC is not as good of a fit for Tmo. But I wouldn't completely rule it out. Especially if it can help Tmo be more palatable for sale. USCC is probably not going to be an expensive acquisition. I'm thinking $5 Billion. Give or take a few billion.

If there was no threat of acquisition, this would be fine. I think USCC is surrounded by threat of acquisition. Sprint may even get into a bidding war. One of the few times we completely disagree.

I do not like the direction this industry is headed. If oligopoly is the inevitable end result, there is less and less reason not to nationalize the entire infrastructure, then let providers sell service over the top.

AJ

• Like 2

It would be a setup two fold, 1) Sprint would fall to #4 and T-Mobile would advance to #3 & 2) It would give T-Mobile a lot more low band spectrum as well as higher band allowing even more areas to get wideband LTE putting even more pressure on Sprint to get Spark up and running.

Great points. Tmo + USCC is not a good scenario for Sprint. Actually Any Provider + USCC is bad for Sprint. If USCC stays independent, then a CCA or RRPP connection for Sprint is very good. However, if anyone buys USCC, then it hurts Sprint's position in many ways.

Sprint needs to move first. Take USCC off the table. The rejection of the purchase of MetroPCS by Sprint's board was a huge blunder. If they fail to pick up USCC before someone else, it will even be a larger blunder. Masa, if you're serious about taking Sprint upward, USCC is a good move.

• Like 8

That's exactly why Sprint would be wise to make a move for USCC before T-Mobile or anyone else decides to. With metropcs and Leap already acquired, it's a big mole sitting out there waiting to be whacked.

Vodafone certainly has the $ to make things happen.

Perhaps, but if Vodafone wanted exposure to the American market they probably wouldn't have sold off their 45% stake in Verizon wireless. I just don't see it. Not to mention that Voda is/was a takeover target themselves.

I didn't think they'd move on MetroPCS, either.

Nor did I, but in retrospect it made perfect sense. The reverse merger with Metropcs was really the best way for DT to spin T-Mobile USA off into it's own entity. It's hard to imagine pouring that kind of money into this market especially with the AWS-3 and potentially the 600MHz auction upcoming. Still, it'd be best if Sprint removed the temptation and took USCC off of the board and maybe a couple of others while they're at it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I do not like the direction this industry is headed. If oligopoly is the inevitable end result, there is less and less reason not to nationalize the entire infrastructure, then let providers sell service over the top.

Neither the Democrats nor the Republicans will nationalize the wireless infrastructure; the only times the feds have stepped in to nationalize an industry in American history was when the industry was failing and the industry's leaders were begging for a bailout (see Amtrak, which bailed out the railroads' money-losing passenger operations, or the GM and Chrysler bailout). Even if the market gets down to 3-4 national players and few others, nationalization just isn't going to happen.

It hasn't even happened in Europe, where public and government support for owning infrastructure tends to be much higher. Instead, regulation by countries and the EU (along with more vigorous competition due to the lack of any meaningful GSM/CDMA split, and greater population density making limited rural coverage less of a handicap for new entrants) have forced carriers to implement more consumer-friendly policies like price caps on usage and roaming; that seems to be the more likely direction of the U.S. market with everyone effectively on LTE within the next 4-6 years.

• Like 2