Sprint to expand to Montana using shut down CellularOne sites

Not sure if this guy knows his stuff but that's what he said that he heard. He could have been lying. He was on Twitter saying it

*shakes head*

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

No change in FCC status.

• 1 month later...

License status remains the same. For amateurs there is a two year grace period to renew. Based on a spot check, it looks like this process takes 6 weeks to 6 months in commercial spectrum. I did not see any that were denied, but no guarantees.

• 2 months later...

Received data for about an 80 mile stretch of I-90 around Missoula, Montana from one of my spotters.  Contains sectors 2 and 3 of CDMA and 01 and 02 of LTE.  Spot1 also had null GCI feature of SCP enabled, so I plotted those as well (small dots) to give us and idea of possible LTE coverage.  All data is presented,

https://fusiontables.google.com/data?docid=14K466O45MC0JN7hJnpBHmM31kZTEfEtdsc3ML6z4#map:id=3

• Like 9

The CDMA info above differs slightly for br00's http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3703-potential-sprint-rural-buildout-by-2016/page-8#entry470803.  The NID is 1 rather than 247, but the BID and SID remain the same.  If you zoom in on the "site" in satellite view , it does have a tower at that location.  More detailed spotting always welcome.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

No visible movement on these "Offlined for Expired License Review" situations.  These were originally tied to 800Mhz challenges which still continue in places near borders (or not so near, like Columbus Ohio).  Concerned that time may running out. 

No visible movement on these "Offlined for Expired License Review" situations. These were originally tied to 800Mhz challenges which still continue in places near borders (or not so near, like Columbus Ohio). Concerned that time may running out.

The way it's set up now, SoCal may not get band 26 until like 2020 [emoji849][emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way it's set up now, SoCal may not get band 26 until like 2020 [emoji849][emoji30]

It was actually a reward to Sprint for extra costs of its 800Mhz conversions

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back from Montana and sadly I don't have anything new to report. Came across the same previously reported LTE protection sites in the major cities but couldn't find any new conversions or changes from what has already been reported. Oh well…

• Like 3

Coming back from Montana and sadly I don't have anything new to report. Came across the same previously reported LTE protection sites in the major cities but couldn't find any new conversions or changes from what has already been reported. Oh well…

Any logs?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Any logs?

Sadly, no. I have an iPhone so I can only tell you what I saw :/.

He did not saw any logs in Montana.

AJ

• Like 7

We are well past the usual 6 weeks to six months after the expiration date to renew.  I believe the process allows for two years.  Will this be done before the Obama administration ends?  Will it be denied? Stay tuned.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

No movement on a Sprint Montana license -- still pending.  The bureaucracy continues in its usual fashion no matter who is President.

No movement on a Sprint Montana license -- still pending. The bureaucracy continues in its usual fashion no matter who is President.

Insane it's taking this long. Any word on Wyoming, South Dakota or any type of marginal expansion or just nothing to report in general ?

I'd imagine Sprint will do minimal to keep licenses. 3G is dead soon, and to expand a network with 3G is a big waste of money. Even if they could provide the absolute best coverage in those areas, ROI would take way too long.

These licenses are for LTE, which we have observed in one case. Coverage is very minimal but functional. VoLTE has issues with CDMA, so it will be a while before Sprint begins and even longer before others finish. Thin margins for any national carrier in less populated places like Montana. For all we know, Sprint could also be stalling. Pending is not rejected.

Insane it's taking this long. Any word on Wyoming, South Dakota or any type of marginal expansion or just nothing to report in general ?

I am using this as a bellweather. You can click on any of my paperwork links, then click on the license itself to see if anything else was filed. These things can go down a new paperwork track as was seen with the Shentel nTelos deal. I did check more a couple of months ago.

• Like 2

These licenses are for LTE, which we have observed in one case. Coverage is very minimal but functional. VoLTE has issues with CDMA, so it will be a while before Sprint begins and even longer before others finish. Thin margins for any national carrier in less populated places like Montana. For all we know, Sprint could also be stalling. Pending is not rejected.

I am using this as a bellweather. You can click on any of my paperwork links, then click on the license itself to see if anything else was filed. These things can go down a new paperwork track as was seen with the Shentel nTelos deal. I did check more a couple of months ago.

Gotcha. Well for all we know Sprint could be merging with T-Mobile soon. As both CEOs said any kind of merger talks would start after the auction is over which would be end of next month or April. Guess we'll find out this summer. My guess is if they merge it would go under the T-Mobile brand and we would have there coverage as a result which should be broader reach by end of this year

Speaking of a Sprint/T-Mo merger....

Recently spoke w/ T-Mo about coverage in Montana - they offer roaming that looks native, but rep said that they are "working on selling service in MT very soon" - haven't kept up on network buzz since that whole mess with Alltel/VZW/AT&T divested markets and then MTPCS tanking, but perhaps Sprint & T-Mo are plotting something...would make a lot of sense in the MT market where T-Mo has basic roaming w/ AT&T but wants native coverage. Dunno if they can even get licenses for the area....thoughts?

• Like 1

With a merger a multitude of options would become possible.  They would also become necessary as roaming agreements would not likely be extended.

• Like 1

Speaking of a Sprint/T-Mo merger....

Recently spoke w/ T-Mo about coverage in Montana - they offer roaming that looks native, but rep said that they are "working on selling service in MT very soon" - haven't kept up on network buzz since that whole mess with Alltel/VZW/AT&T divested markets and then MTPCS tanking, but perhaps Sprint & T-Mo are plotting something...would make a lot of sense in the MT market where T-Mo has basic roaming w/ AT&T but wants native coverage. Dunno if they can even get licenses for the area....thoughts?

T-Mobile already offers LTE in billings, Helena and Missoula MT. They just picked up licenses to cover the rest of Montana which in their EOY 2017 coverage area shows all LTE for Montana. My guess is if sprint merges and goes until T-Mobile brand. Sprint by default will get the coverage.

• Like 1