Sprint to expand to Montana using shut down CellularOne sites

Were you getting good signal. What RSSI or RSRP or signal bars.  Perhaps the issue is backhaul.

Yeah, I was visiting family so didn't spend a lot of time looking (left to my own devices I would).  What I did do is attempt phone calls to a test number from various parts of town.  I usually call the Colorado NIST (check time).  Lets me stay connected to an automated system without bugging a human.   I also tested in-bound calls (I had two  cells with me, one Verizon which worked fine)  so I "called myself" repeatedly too.  Anyway, failure rate for both inbound and outbound calls was about 90%.  Data literally never worked, and SMS failed too.  The phone reported 3G (EVDO) "Extended"   I got one screenshot of the debug screen to see the SID and that it was PCS.    In the old days Qwest operated a sort of OK, not awesome network there but it worked.  I want to say it was PCS because in-building coverage wasn't so hot.  Signal strengh (apparent) felt like the old Qwest system, but the old Qwest system worked.

• Like 1

I wish we had more users in the northern states that could track Sprints LTE progress via Sensorly app to update and post on the app regulary in Montana, north and South Dakota and Wyoming. Not just once a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Brynn0823

I'm going to be crossing Montana again on Saturday.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

You should also drive around a few of the towns you pass through when mapping so we can get a better indication as to where towers are located.

• Like 1

I'm going to be crossing Montana again on Saturday.

ort_04.jpg

AJ

• Like 11

I'll be curious if Sprke will be able to use his phone at all for any purpose save WiFi. It was really, really bad.

I had to cancel my trip there. I was gonna fly my family there but the weather wasn't conducive to flying in a Cessna Skylane [emoji35]

It's the big day

It was a whirlwind tour across the state. The only thing noteworthy is I mapped some more of that Bozeman site.

• 2 weeks later...

Big question on my mind is when are they going to update the main Sprint coverage map over at coverage.sprint.com? Seems like they would want to show areas of new native Sprint coverage, not try to cover them up. This would go leaps and bounds from a marketing perspective to showing that the Sprint network is as far behind Verizon & AT&T as some would believe. 

Big question on my mind is when are they going to update the main Sprint coverage map over at coverage.sprint.com? Seems like they would want to show areas of new native Sprint coverage, not try to cover them up. This would go leaps and bounds from a marketing perspective to showing that the Sprint network is as far behind Verizon & AT&T as some would believe.

They probably don't want to publicize their protection sites with pretty much nonexistent backhaul because it may attract customers. With a few people on these improperly provisioned sites, their barely existent network will get overloaded. My guess is that once they have a few more sites online, they'll start adding to the coverage map.

• Like 3

They probably don't want to publicize their protection sites with pretty much nonexistent backhaul because it may attract customers. With a few people on these improperly provisioned sites, their barely existent network will get overloaded. My guess is that once they have a few more sites online, they'll start adding to the coverage map.

Which if we know Sprints past track record that could be by years end [emoji15][emoji30]

I don't expect Sprint to add Montana sites to coverage maps until more sites come online. I don't think they'll show locations of Protection Sites only. Especially given the backhaul limitations.

• Like 1

I don't expect Sprint to add Montana sites to coverage maps until more sites come online. I don't think they'll show locations of Protection Sites only. Especially given the backhaul limitations.

So what are we looking at in terms of when that'll be ? Probably July-Sept timeframe assuming sites are slowing turning on now. Also any word on both Dakotas, Wyoming and Alaska ? I heard LTE would make its way in those areas. I'm assuming there's no timeframe for that. Also do you know if small cells have started deployment in SoCal preferably Orange County. We desperately need it since the 800mhz is being held hostage at gunpoint.

We have no idea on time line. Could be within 90 days. Could be a year. Or more, even. We don't know. And Sprint has not said anything beyond they purchased these Montana assets.

• Like 2

Not really sure if Sprint would care if there is backhaul or not.  I have used 3G towers that could barely post higher than 1x speeds in the middle of nowhere close to the towers. 

Plus there are a lot of sites that are islands of coverage.  Decent amount in Colorado, a few out in Kentucky. 

But then it takes a lot of time for some places to get updated.  Walla Walla has had 2xCA on B41 since at least December and it wasn't until 3/29 map update that the coverage map reflected that. 

I think it would be good to eventually show the coverage in the next few months on the coverage maps.

We have no idea on time line. Could be within 90 days. Could be a year. Or more, even. We don't know. And Sprint has not said anything beyond they purchased these Montana assets.

Cool thanks. And no word on small cells in Southern California presumably Orange County. LTE at Disneyland is hideous.

Not really sure if Sprint would care if there is backhaul or not.  I have used 3G towers that could barely post higher than 1x speeds in the middle of nowhere close to the towers. 

Plus there are a lot of sites that are islands of coverage.  Decent amount in Colorado, a few out in Kentucky. 

But then it takes a lot of time for some places to get updated.  Walla Walla has had 2xCA on B41 since at least December and it wasn't until 3/29 map update that the coverage map reflected that. 

I think it would be good to eventually show the coverage in the next few months on the coverage maps.

Spring is trying to get away from that reputation and they aren't stupid. They aren't going to make that mistake anymore.

Status of CY - 1910-1915/1990-1995 MHz Bands licenses still for Montana, etc is still pending.