Sprint: 800 MHz rebanding project nearing completion

Rawvega

Sprint (NYSE: S) told the FCC that its rebanding efforts in the 800 MHz band are nearing completion, according to a filing the carrier made with the commission. The declaration comes nearly a decade after the FCC ordered the rebanding of the 800 MHz band to alleviate interference to public-safety licensees in 800 MHz band caused by commercial cellular licensees.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-800-mhz-rebanding-project-nearing-completion/2014-07-14

sprint-800-reband.jpg

• Like 6

Nice find. I am shocked though that detroit is complete with rebanding given its next to canadian border. Hopefully California can be rebanded soon since it seems no part of California is 100% rebanded.

I am curious why seattle hasnt been rebanded already given how detroit was able to get it done.

• Like 2

So in terms of non-border areas, NorCal, Nevada, Florida, Oklahoma, Arkansas, PR/USVI and three regions in Texas each only have licensee left. Does anyone know who all of these holdouts are?

So in terms of non-border areas, NorCal, Nevada, Florida, Oklahoma, Arkansas, PR/USVI and three regions in Texas each only have licensee left. Does anyone know who all of these holdouts are?

Yes, Robert and I probably do know the holdouts.  But we decided long ago not to write about them at S4GRU.  They are spectrum speculators.  Any publicity they get only increases their buyout value.

AJ

• Like 2

Yes, Robert and I probably do know the holdouts.  But we decided long ago not to write about them at S4GRU.  They are spectrum speculators.  Any publicity they get only increases their buyout value.

AJ

Is this something that can be disclosed in the sponsor or premier sponsor section since that wouldn't be viewable by the general public? I do now recall the identity of the spectrum squatter in Puerto Rico as there was a discussion about them in 800 MHz spectrum map thread.

Is this something that can be disclosed in the sponsor or premier sponsor section since that wouldn't be viewable by the general public? I do now recall the identity of the spectrum squatter in Puerto Rico as there was a discussion about them in 800 MHz spectrum map thread.

I think this recent filing in the FCC's 800 MHz reconfiguration docket will answer your question.  Seriously.

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=6017840577

AJ

• Like 6

Well, this is all great news, I just wish it would help those of us in Mid/West Michigan figure out why there is no SMR Voice or LTE being rolled out.

But, but! What about Seattle!

That's not fair that they're dragging their feet with WA State!

Make a deal with the FCC, and give Canadians some headway with their future slices of low-band spectrum rebranding plans. Sell 40Mhz of EBS/2.5Ghz in order to get it done! Do something!!!

Edited by EmeraldReporter
  • Like 1

One of the best posts I've ever read on here.  Classic.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill (or, at least, oft attributed)

AJ

• Like 2

Well, this is all great news, I just wish it would help those of us in Mid/West Michigan figure out why there is no SMR Voice or LTE being rolled out.

The Canadian IBEZ will be sorted out before the end of the year. The Mexican IBEZ on the other hand...

• Like 2

The Canadian IBEZ will be sorted out before the end of the year. The Mexican IBEZ on the other hand...

West Michigan is out of the 140mile exclusion zone, Mid michigan is out of the 100 mile, but in the 40 mile buffer zone.

The Mexican IBEZ on the other hand...

AJ

• Like 1

http://theconversation.com/carlos-slims-empire-broken-up-but-oligarchs-still-control-mexico-29072

Maybe the Carlos Slim empire getting broken up will help. Maybe not.

NII will know which Mexican officials to bribe, I mean lobby, to get it done :)

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 3

I want a source for that Canadian IBEZ resolution please.

Please, please, please!

http://www.800ta.org/content/reporting/QPR_03.31.14.pdf

Look at Chart 1. The actual physical returning is nearing completion. All that is left is the verification. and that chart was of 3/31/2014.

Edited by bigsnake49

Rebanding is a separate issue than the IBEZ.  Rebanding can complete along the Mexico and Canada borders and the IBEZ will still persist.  This rebanding is affecting American providers in the SMR band, not international providers in the same spectrum.

Until Mexican and Canadian providers stop using narrowband transmissions within Sprint's 800 SMR spectrum holdings on the other side of the border, there will be no resolution to the IBEZ problem.  Until Mexico and Canada rebands themselves, the problem will will not go away.  AFAIK, there is no rebanding occurring north or south of the border.

Robert

• Like 1