iPhone 6 omnibus thread

sbolen

So, regarding resale value - this dinged up iPhone 5S sold for $490 internationally unlocked by Sprint:

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=171451692166

I'm going to list mine tonight, start it at $100, 7 day auction, no reserve. I have 1 year of transferable AppleCare+ & a near-mint phone. This should be fun. :)

Sprint gave me $220 last month for am iPhone 5s last month... Lol

Sent from my Galaxy S5 on the Sprint Network

Sprint hasn't announced that they will allow support for it, yet. I can almost guarantee that Sprint will get WiFi calling on the 6, even iOS 8 in general, they just haven't said they will support it yet. We need to wait for the device to be publicly available, then we shall see. Patience, young Padawan. :)

-Anthony

And if not, it'll probably come with the Apple Pay iOS8 update shortly after the launch. (They said in the keynote it wouldn't be available on day 1)

• Like 1

Sprint gave me $220 last month for am iPhone 5s last month... Lol

Sent from my Galaxy S5 on the Sprint Network

$230 this month. And if you have an upgrade, you can go through Apple and they will give you a whopping $310 for the 16 gb base model. I was going to do that, butttttttt of course they won't let me renew my 2 year contract early at Apple...Probably beyond their capabilities. 

So can you do Easy Pay for a 64GB model and still get the $50 unlimited deal?

No. the $50 deal is only with the 16gb leased model. 

The $50 plan applies to either iPhone 6 or 6+. Leases starts at $20 for the iPhone 6 - 16GB and go up to $35 for the iPhone 6+ - 128GB http://v2.twice.com/...ited-plan/53962

Edit: added in information posted below. 

Edited by jamisonshaw125
  • Like 1

The $50 plan applies to either iPhone 6 or 6+. Leases starts at $20 for the iPhone 6 - 16GB and go up to $35 for the iPhone 6+ - 128GB http://v2.twice.com/news/smartphones/sprint-promote-new-iphones-50-unlimited-plan/53962

I would guess $20 (16GB), $25 (64GB), $30 (128GB) for the iPhone6 and $25, $30, $35 for the 6+.

• Like 4

The $50 plan applies to either iPhone 6 or 6+. Leases starts at $20 for the iPhone 6 - 16GB and go up to $35 for the iPhone 6+ - 128GB http://v2.twice.com/news/smartphones/sprint-promote-new-iphones-50-unlimited-plan/53962

I stand corrected. Thanks for finding that. I hadn't seen it anywhere.

• Like 1

Also, according to http://www.sprint.com/landings/iphone/ and the reps I talked to the $50 plan is NOT eligible for employer discounts. Just saying because people have already asked me about it on the pricing spreadsheet I made.

• Like 6

I think there has been a consistent caveat from No Subsidy Hawks that Apple would be the one fighting the trend.  Apple is double downing on the core demographic that earns them the most money.  And Apple will need to keep subsidies in place to keep its sales numbers up.  I think what Apple took away from the iPhone 5c flop is that people want Apple to make only high end devices.  Price conscious Apple consumers just buy last years models (or in some cases two years ago).

I personally think this is Apple's best strategy going forward.  And as long as Apple doesn't feel the pressure from the pricing in the rest of the market and their customers continue to pay the premium, I don't expect this to ever change.  But it will be hard to get back the budget minded consumer who has moved to Android.  Many of them want to come back, but they cannot really afford to.  These people may have to lease their phones if they want to be Apple customers with the latest devices.

It'll be interesting how the American wireless device sales model develops over the next few years.

Very interesting to see.  Between Framily and off-contract VZW ($15 add on fee instead of $40) I have no real way to buy the new flashy phone ($600 plus is a lot of money!)... I figure I will wait around 9-12 months and pick one up used for half price (be it an iPhone or Android, etc)... 

Will we see a push for lower MSRP?  Higher resale prices (which would help justify the $699 phone knowing you can sell it for $500 later on)?  

At the very least I would like to see sales off of MSRP (until now you see the phone or a penny deals, etc but full price phones are always still full price).

Sooo...I just called my local sprint store about if they were having a pre order list like some stores have. The guy who I was speaking with said they were and that they would need to look at my account to see what they can do and I told him I'm not due for a upgrade and I plan on paying full retail and he told me not to waste my time and that they are not selling full retail iPhones and that sprint is not making no money cause I am buying in at full retail ( which I'm sure is true). But that is so rude for him to say that to me. I'm sure Tmo, Verizon and AT&T aren't rejecting people from paying full price if they choose because that retaining customers. 

I thought Id share that 2 min phone call. 

• Like 1

Sooo...I just called my local sprint store about if they were having a pre order list like some stores have. The guy who I was speaking with said they were and that they would need to look at my account to see what they can do and I told him I'm not due for a upgrade and I plan on paying full retail and he told me not to waste my time and that they are not selling full retail iPhones and that sprint is not making no money cause I am buying in at full retail ( which I'm sure is true). But that is so rude for him to say that to me. I'm sure Tmo, Verizon and AT&T aren't rejecting people from paying full price if they choose because that retaining customers. 

Apple store. They'll also give you $310 for your iPhone if it's decent condition. Thanks to our best friend BrightStar....

Apple store. They'll also give you $310 for your iPhone if it's decent condition. Thanks to our best friend BrightStar....

That is so crazy they are acting like that. I wanted to avoid the apple store I just wanted to walk into a sprint store pay full retail for the 64gb 4.7 and be done....I guess thats what I will have to do...Well I guess me going to the apple store won't be bad because Im with sprint and thats the red headed step child so their phones won't go as fast.

• Like 1

Okay, not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet (read back several pages but didn't see anything), but will we be able to order off-contract from apple.com tonight?

Or what have people's experiences been with preordering an off-contract Sprint iPhone?

According to this site, it's not possible to order off contract on pre order. Can anyone confirm?

They don't make as much money selling to you, an existing customer paying full cash price for an existing line.  So he wants you to think you need to go somewhere else.  He knows they will have strong demand for their initial iPhone 6's.  So he wants to give them to people adding lines or new customers to get the most bang for the buck.

In the past, a move like this could get people in trouble.  Because they aren't supposed to do that.  But since Sprint is pretty hard up trying to add additional subscribers, I think they'll kind of look the other way at this time.  Your best bet is to go to Apple.  They are happy to sell anyone and everyone a phone.  So long as they have it.  Because I think you're going to find this problem at most Sprint stores.  Anyone who can get away with at a Sprint store is going to do that.

EDIT:  Based on other comments, maybe you're SOL as Apple sounds like they may be focusing on new customers, contract extensions and additional on contract lines too.

Edited by S4GRU
Added edit line
  • Like 1

When I worked for a 3rd party last year we did this too. We make more off adding lines than selling full outright. Both as a company and employee.

The day after they may be more lenient on selling you a full retail phone if they have any in stock.

Do I agree with this? No. Does it make sense for the company? Yes.