iPhone 6 omnibus thread

sbolen

I'd be curious to see what the true cost of ownership for an iPhone is given the resale value after 1 or 2 years, especially once Sprint allows them to be unlocked for domestic use. The selling price may be higher than comparable Android phones, but the higher resale may offset that to a large degree.

Does the iPhone utilize eCSFB? If not will being parked on band 41 for data cause issues when it has to cycle back to 1900 or 800 to check for incoming calls or texts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Does the iPhone utilize eCSFB? If not will being parked on band 41 for data cause issues when it has to cycle back to 1900 or 800 to check for incoming calls or texts?

If Apple did not implement eCSFB for iPhone 6/6+, then it will be just like iPhone 5/5c/5s. The phone will scan 1x every so many seconds to determine if a phone call is coming thru. If this is the case again, then there won't be issues like the other tri-band phones had at the beginning.

• Like 1

The iPhone 6 does not appear to use eCSFB.
  • Like 3

So, I am looking at the FCC docs for the iPhone 6/6+, and on the primary antenna, Band 41 LTE has an antenna gain of 3.25 dBi. This phone will be a Band 41 beast. I wonder how it'll work with range on 8T8R antennas?

• Like 2

Well, with looking at more FCC docs, I'll be disappointed if I'm reading this right that CDMA Band Class 10 has a peak gain of -2.3 and Band Class 1 has a peak gain of 2.9, rendering the 1x800 voice as a last chance to maintain native Sprint service kind of thing. :angry:

EIRP for PCS is 27.92 dBm, and for SMR it's 20.63 dBm.

• Like 1

Well, with looking at more FCC docs, I'll be disappointed if I'm reading this right that CDMA Band Class 10 has a peak gain of -2.3 and Band Class 1 has a peak gain of 2.9, rendering the 1x800 voice as a last chance to maintain native Sprint service kind of thing. :angry:

EIRP for PCS is 27.92 dBm, and for SMR it's 20.63 dBm.

For those of us that really don't know what these numbers mean, do you think you can compare them to the 5s and maybe the nexus 5? Just to see how it stacks up?

For those of us that really don't know what these numbers mean, do you think you can compare them to the 5s and maybe the nexus 5? Just to see how it stacks up?

I can in the morning.

• Like 1

I haven't spent $950 on any one thing, other than perhaps a car.

Robert

It wasn't that long ago you could buy a decent car for a grand.

This pricing sure makes my 200.00 LG G2 from eBay look like a steal.

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 1

I don't think it's dictated by the market.  These are a premium over similarly spec'd devices.  Google could have said they have to charge $550 instead of $350 for the Nexus 5, because that's the market.  But they didn't.  Apple could have charged $100 less across the board, or offered 32GB as the starting memory to add more value.  

This is pure profiteering.  And that's fine.  It's the American way.  But the market is not insisting on overpaying.  They just will tolerate it because of the subsidy model.

Robert

I totally agree. At the beginning of the event Apple talked about how they changed the world and alluded to us being better for it. Yet hiding behind that message is unabashed capitalism. Its the American way!

The funny part is there is a $250 dollar phone coming to Sprint with a little larger screen, and does have CA in it plus expandable memory too. Spending $650 on a screen of a phone with 720p you might as well say. Well I'll just leave it at that, oh and the BB Passport with the 1440x1440 screen and 32gb with expandable to 128gb of storage, a quadcore with 3gb ram will be $650.

But that phone doesn't run iOS. I hate Android. My experiences have been far from pleasant with Android phones and the OS. Personal experience for me trumps stats and Fandroid talking points.

• Like 1

It's not a bad deal (actually it's good) if your an Apple loyalist.

Makes me wonder however where Sprint stands with that insane commitment it inked with Apple just to carry the brand.

Could they be so far behind in sales that they need to do this just to help satisfy the commitment?

When new Sprint CEO Marcello Claure met Apple CEO Tim Cook his first on the job, this "iPhone for Life" was the deal they made: http://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-ceo-tries-to-get-back-in-the-game-with-apples-iphone-6/

• Like 1

I can in the morning.

I hit the can in the morning.

AJ

• Like 1

I think, it english, it means that PCS is going to be a bitch on this phone (just like current iPhone) and 1x800 is never going to provide the relief it should because the iPhone is going to continue sticking onto that until there is literally no signal. And then it will switch to SMR which won't provide much relief because the iPhone is tuned well for SMR. 

But I know nothing lol.

I see the 16G 6plus for $30 a month on easy pay I the the $50/month iPhone plan. Any word on if it's the same for Framily plan? Any word if sprint will sell the 64 or 128 GB phones on easy pay?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'd be curious to see what the true cost of ownership for an iPhone is given the resale value after 1 or 2 years, especially once Sprint allows them to be unlocked for domestic use. The selling price may be higher than comparable Android phones, but the higher resale may offset that to a large degree.

I'm getting ready to list mine on eBay. I have a near-mint 64 GB iPhone 5S with a full year of AppleCare+ remaining, and I'm carrier unlocked for international use. I've seen phones like mine sell for $450+... So my Out of Pocket for a new 64GB iPhone 6 will be roughly $300-350. Not bad, when you pull that out over a year ($30/mo for 12 months at $350 purchase price).

To me, for a device I use every day, and for one I make my living using, this is a no-brainer.

• Like 5

The catch here is that the Sprint iPhone ends up at a handicap vs. AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile variants because VZ can do 10+10 FD CA (13+4) pretty easily.

Unless circumstances have changed, VZW's band 13 infrastructure is Release 8. It is old and does not support carrier aggregation.

AJ

Who changed the name of the thread?? :P

I'm certainly not complaining.   :D

You cannot spell "omnibus" without "nobius," right?

AJ

• Like 2

Now, what did I tell you guys over the past few weeks?  With this iPhone, you would not get everything -- band 41, carrier aggregation, and band 12.  And guess what?  I was spot on.  You got just one of the three.  So, celebrate your victory but acknowledge your multiple defeats.

I earned my technical chops over the weekend when I predicted the possibility that the new Sprint iPhone 6 variants would go with international LTE bands in the 700/800 MHz range rather than band 12.

Change that "probably" to "possibly."  Many of you guys seem quite sanguine that iPhone 6 will cover all of the bases this year.  However, historically, that has not been the case.  Especially in iPhone variants for Sprint, Apple has always left out something for next time -- or just left out forever.

Now, maybe you will get lucky this time.  You already lost out with the Category 4 MDM9625 baseband, losing any hope of band 41 carrier aggregation, so maybe that will be the only compromise.  But do not be surprised if band 41 misses the cut again.  Or the Sprint variant piggybacks off an international variant and gets band 8, band 20, or band 28 instead of band 12.

AJ

• Like 4