iPhone 6 omnibus thread

sbolen

For those of you concerned about B41 Carrier Aggregation, AJ told you all in advance that the new iPhones would not support it.  The chip they are using is limited to only a total of 20MHz aggregated.  Adding up all the aggregated channels cannot exceed 20MHz.  So you can do two 10MHz channels, or two 5MHz channels.  But you cannot do two 20MHz channels...on any provider.

Since Sprint is only doing CA on B41 using 20MHz channels, the current iPhone cannot support widths that wide.  So Tmo and VZW 20MHz channels cannot do CA either with these new iPhones.  Or 15MHz channels.  Just two equal sized 10MHz or 5MHz can be aggregated with the iPhone 6 and 6+.  It cannot even do two dissimilar sized carriers, like a 5MHz + 10MHz together.

But the B41 inclusion is a big coup for you all.  Welcome to Triband!  Congrats!

Robert

B41 makes my world. Are you guys doing a write up for the wall? And does anyone have the link to the fcc document.

B41 makes my world. Are you guys doing a write up for the wall? And does anyone have the link to the fcc document.

AJ is pretty busy this afternoon.  I hope it can get to it.  It would drive a lot of S4GRU traffic.

Robert

• Like 6

That's great news about Band 41.

What about Sprint supporting VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling on the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus? Will it happen?

Would be great to have simultaneous voice/data...

Edited by ipplanman

I don't care too much for CA right now. I'm just glad the sprint variant will have b41!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

What about Sprint supporting VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling on the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus? Will it happen?

Sprint wasn't on the VoLTE slide.  Doesn't mean it won't happen, it just isn't there at launch.

Apple only showed at&t, verizon and t-mobile for that portion. With t-mobile being the initial carrier supporting it.

It doesn't support it.  However, WiFi calling could possibly be done with a software update in the future.  And Sprint VoLTE will not really be out and about until around the time the iPhone 6s and 6s+ are being announced.

Robert

Now, what did I tell you guys over the past few weeks?  With this iPhone, you would not get everything -- band 41, carrier aggregation, and band 12.  And guess what?  I was spot on.  You got just one of the three.  So, celebrate your victory but acknowledge your multiple defeats.

AJ

51MeTVzqkPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Interesting...  Still no Band 12.  Poor USCC.  They still can't use their iPhones on their main band around here. 

Edit:  But what is even better...  All those T-Mobile customers expecting better coverage when B12 deploys...  Sure hope they don't buy the iPhone 6!  :lol:

I wonder what this does to the Test Drive program?

Looks like Legere could not sway Apple.  Apple just does what it wants.  B12 would have been good for more than just Tmo, though.  It also would have been good for Sprint, USCC and other rural providers.

I call it the AT&T effect.  Based on its previous intimate relationship with Apple, AT&T retains enough influence to continue to "cock block" T-Mobile periodically over band 4 W-CDMA, band 12 LTE, etc.

AJ

Now, what did I tell you guys over the past few weeks? With this iPhone, you would not get everything -- band 41, carrier aggregation, and band 12. And guess what? I was spot on. You got just one of the three. So, celebrate your victory but acknowledge your multiple defeats.

AJ

It's a phone. Not a battle.

• Like 3

I don't understand why there had to be a separate Verizon and Sprint version.  The only physical difference I can tell is that the Verizon version is missing TDD LTE bands.  Surely, the inclusion of these bands could not be a detriment to the Verizon model.  And the inclusion of Verizon VoLTE and WiFi calling could have easily been disabled on Sprint if the same model.

Maybe the Verizon model has simultaneous voice and data?  But I don't think the last one did?  Is it possible that Verizon was able to convince Apple of getting their own version?  To help insulate themselves from people jailbreaking their device and possibly using it any way they please?  I just am not exactly sure what to think of the different models.

Robert

EDIT:  Confirmed the Verizon does not support CDMA simultaneous voice and data, only on VoLTE

Edited by S4GRU
Added VZW SVDO not existent edit line
  • Like 1

For those of you concerned about B41 Carrier Aggregation, AJ told you all in advance that the new iPhones would not support it. The chip they are using is limited to only a total of 20MHz aggregated. Adding up all the aggregated channels cannot exceed 20MHz. So you can do two 10MHz channels, or two 5MHz channels. But you cannot do two 20MHz channels...on any provider.

Since Sprint is only doing CA on B41 using 20MHz channels, the current iPhone cannot support widths that wide. So Tmo and VZW 20MHz channels cannot do CA either with these new iPhones. Or 15MHz channels. Just two equal sized 10MHz or 5MHz can be aggregated with the iPhone 6 and 6+. It cannot even do two dissimilar sized carriers, like a 5MHz + 10MHz together.

But the B41 inclusion is a big coup for you all. Welcome to Triband! Congrats!

Now I need to learn how to send in those B26 and B41 updates since apparently I'm the only S4GRU user in Houston.

• Like 5

Well according to all the leaks, it was going to be the x9625 chipset instead of the 9635 chipset. So that determined whether CA aggregation was going to be supported above a total of 20MHz. I guess they could produce enough 9635's to feed Apple's appetite. On top of that Apple likes chipsets that have a small number of errata. Other companies like to live on the edge.

Now, I do think that I will be getting the 4.7" iPhone. I don't think I will be getting the watch though.

• Like 2

It doesn't support it.  However, WiFi calling could possibly be done with a software update in the future.  And Sprint VoLTE will not really be out and about until around the time the iPhone 6s and 6s+ are being announced.

Robert

So is VoLTE dependent on Network Vision being completed with LTE overlaid? I just want to understand what's different about T-Mobile's network such that they would be the initial launch partner (with AT&T and Verizon also listed)

I don't understand why there had to be a separate Verizon and Sprint version.  The only physical difference I can tell is that the Verizon version is missing TDD LTE bands.  Surely, the inclusion of these bands could not be a detriment to the Verizon model.  And the inclusion of Verizon VoLTE and WiFi calling could have easily been disabled on Sprint if the same model.

Maybe the Verizon model has simultaneous voice and data?  But I don't think the last one did?  Is it possible that Verizon was able to convince Apple of getting their own version?  To help insulate themselves from people jailbreaking their device and possibly using it any way they please?  I just am not exactly sure what to think of the different models.

Robert

I think Verizon put a cockblock move similar to the att and tmobile band 12 dilemma. Verizon is afraid that customers would jump to sprint once they paid their iPhone contract.

I think Verizon put a cockblock move similar to the att and tmobile band 12 dilemma. Verizon is afraid that customers would jump to sprint once they paid their iPhone contract.

Given the new unlock rules after paying off subsidies, a Verizon or AT&T customer could move their phone to Sprint if it was the same model.  Crafty bastards.

Robert

• Like 1

So is VoLTE dependent on Network Vision being completed with LTE overlaid? I just want to understand what's different about T-Mobile's network such that they would be the initial launch partner (with AT&T and Verizon also listed)

Sprint does not have a VoLTE network, and will not start deploying it until Mid 2015 at the earliest.  Sprint's VoLTE network must be coordinated with regionals in the RRPP network in order to support voice roaming.  This is especially important for Sprint because many of their regional partners do not use CDMA at all.  

Robert

The feed died just before U2 but did anyone figure out what that white building was for?

A hands-on product showcase area for press.

• Like 1

For those of you concerned about B41 Carrier Aggregation, AJ told you all in advance that the new iPhones would not support it.  The chip they are using is limited to only a total of 20MHz aggregated.  Adding up all the aggregated channels cannot exceed 20MHz.  So you can do two 10MHz channels, or two 5MHz channels.  But you cannot do two 20MHz channels...on any provider.

Since Sprint is only doing CA on B41 using 20MHz channels, the current iPhone cannot support widths that wide.  So Tmo and VZW 20MHz channels cannot do CA either with these new iPhones.  Or 15MHz channels.  Just two equal sized 10MHz or 5MHz can be aggregated with the iPhone 6 and 6+.  It cannot even do two dissimilar sized carriers, like a 5MHz + 10MHz together.

But the B41 inclusion is a big coup for you all.  Welcome to Triband!  Congrats!

Robert

Honestly, while it would have been great to see 40mhz CA, just having access to B41 is a win in my opinion. I personally have held onto my iPhone 5 since launch, so this would be a perfect upgrade for me.

Now the big decision comes down to the 6 or 6 Plus. The 6 Plus is about the same size range as the Note 3, so that gives me a starting point in the choice.

• Like 9