Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite Beta (Formerly iOS 8 Beta/Mac OS 10.10 Beta)

So I figured that now that the main WWDC event is over, I would make an iOS 8 and Mac OS 10.10 beta discussion thread to talk about anything we have experienced with them and to talk about our impressions.

I am currently running the iOS 8 beta on my 5s and man, it is DEFINITELY A BETA. Whenever I restart my phone, I have to do the last couple of setup steps that you run into when you would update to a new version of iOS or when you would restore your device. That's a ton of fun. The battery life isn't horrible, but it's noticeably worse than iOS 7.1.1. For whatever reason, something keeps using my location at random times, and I can't figure out what it is. But on the bright side, my Tapatalk notifications are FINALLY working now. :)

-Anthony

• Like 1

Mac OS Yosemite has a lag switching between apps for me (pin wheel for 5-10 seconds nearly every time).

I was about to install IOS 8 on my iPhone 5C then I heard about how buggy it is. I'm going to hold off on that unless its easy to return to 7.1.1

I've heard its possible but has anyone returned to IOS 7.1.1 after having installed IOS 8? If its hacky and risky to go back I'll just wait until the betas become more stable.

Mac OS Yosemite has a lag switching between apps for me (pin wheel for 5-10 seconds nearly every time).

I was about to install IOS 8 on my iPhone 5C then I heard about how buggy it is. I'm going to hold off on that unless its easy to return to 7.1.1

I've heard its possible but has anyone returned to IOS 7.1.1 after having installed IOS 8? If its hacky and risky to go back I'll just wait until the betas become more stable.

I returned back to 7.1.1 through iTunes the same way you restore your phone.

I wish I was a dev so I had immediate access to 10.10. I have my mid 2009 MacBook Pro sitting around doing nothing.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I wish I was a dev so I had immediate access to 10.10. I have my mid 2009 MacBook Pro sitting around doing nothing.

I just wish I had a Mac... Period. I get to wait until just before freshman year of college to buy my Macbook Pro.

-Anthony

I just wish I had a Mac... Period. I get to wait until just before freshman year of college to buy my Macbook Pro.

-Anthony

Yeah, I had to wait until I was 24 to get a high end Mac of my own

• Like 2

I'd wait on installing betas until they're more stable. This is typical of the first developer releases Apple puts out.

iOS 7 was buggy for the first three betas. When they went to the 2 week release schedule, things got a lot more stable.

Well, I figured out what was randomly using my location. In iOS 8, the App Store periodically checks your location services to recommend an app for you to use based on where you're at. For example, if you are at a Starbucks, the App Store will see that you are at Starbucks, then in the bottom left of your lock screen it will show the Starbucks app icon, and one can slide up on it to open Passbook to your Starbucks gift card.

Now, while it is a great feature, it can cause your battery to drain if the device can't get a good GPS signal. So, I turned it completely off (in iOS 8, you can limit an app to use your location "Always", "Only when using the app", or "Never". I set the App Store to "Never" on my phone). Now, you would think that would stop the App Store from using your location, period, but no. I would look at my lock screen every 10 minutes or so and I would still see my location services being used, which left me stumped as to what was using my location. First, I turned off everything that said that it had recently used my location, but I was still seeing the location services icon in the status bar of the lock screen and home screen at random times. So then I COMPLETELY turned off location services, and sure enough, shortly after I get a pop up saying something along the lines of 'The "App Store" needs permission to use your location. Go to the settings app to enable location services'. So I found my culprit, and I can't stop it from happening unless I leave the location services completely off, which means I lose the ability to get the GPS location of my phone when using Find My iPhone or Maps.

Luckily, Apple included a Bug Reporter app to the beta, so I submitted a bug report with a detailed description of the problem, so here's to hoping they get it fixed!  :fingers:

-Anthony

• Like 2

All beta releases of iOS require a plug-in restore to update, correct? No OTA?

(Regarding when iOS8 beta 2 comes out)

If you are going from iOS 7 to the iOS 8 beta, then yes, it needs to be done through a computer. If you are on the beta already, then you should get an OTA update through the settings app when beta 2, 3, and so on and so forth come out. You don't need to do a restore when going to the beta, you can update straight to it by downloading the IPSW onto your computer then holding "Shift" on "Check for Update" for the device you would like to put on the beta.

-Anthony

Kinda wishing I had iOS 8 beta now. How is the quick type feature working? I am interested in that. Also, anyone with yosemite already installed that has tried the phone to mac feature? 

The quick type feature actually works pretty great! It really does what Apple said it would do, like suggesting me words based on what I have texted that contact before. It is pretty intuitive, and it's probably the one thing that has worked without a hitch in iOS 8, at least for me.

-Anthony

• Like 2

The quick type feature actually works pretty great! It really does what Apple said it would do, like suggesting me words based on what I have texted that contact before. It is pretty intuitive, and it's probably the one thing that has worked without a hitch in iOS 8, at least for me.

-Anthony

Awesome! I can't wait until fall when I can get it myself. And so I can buy either the 99 cent or 3.99 200 gb iCloud storage lol.

• Like 1

Awesome! I can't wait until fall when I can get it myself. And so I can buy either the 99 cent or 3.99 200 gb iCloud storage lol.

That is another thing about these new OS's: the fact that they have finally made their storage plans practical. 4 bucks a month for 200 GB's of iCloud Storage? Can't beat that!

-Anthony

• Like 1

That is another thing about these new OS's: the fact that they have finally made their storage plans practical. 4 bucks a month for 200 GB's of iCloud Storage? Can't beat that!

-Anthony

Yessss! I still think that apple should offer at least the phones capacity for free. But that's alright, 99 cents is an affordable plan for literally anyone. 3.99 is affordable for literally anyone too. That's less than a caramel machiato. I am wondering how smart quick type will get. Eventually it might just know how I talk to people so well that all I have to do is select one of the 3 choices in the quick selection bar. That would be interesting. I'll have to wait and see if I even use it, but I feel it might be very helpful especially with words that I have no idea how to type. 

• Like 1

Also, anyone with yosemite already installed that has tried the phone to mac feature?

Didn't work for me. I didn't give it much of a chance though both IOS 8 and Yosemite are so unstable I reverted pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Didn't work for me. I didn't give it much of a chance though both IOS 8 and Yosemite are so unstable I reverted pretty quickly.

I just watched a few video reviews and it doesn't appear to be active. Probably will be active when they announce public beta version of yosemite. They were that unstable? I mean it is a beta so that's to be expected. 

On the video review I watched the guy said that when he started recording the video he was at 100% on his iPad and by the end of it, he was at 72%. 

I just watched a few video reviews and it doesn't appear to be active. Probably will be active when they announce public beta version of yosemite. They were that unstable? I mean it is a beta so that's to be expected. 

On the video review I watched the guy said that when he started recording the video he was at 100% on his iPad and by the end of it, he was at 72%. 

On ios 8 my download speeds were cut in half and the radio was generally unstable. My iCloud restore stopped midway for some reason and the app store would not allow me to be on any page but featured (and wouldn't work). Tethering was broken too (which is a big problem for me).

So as quickly as I could I came crying back to IOS 7.1.1

I still have Yosemite on my Mac but I plan to revert on it too. The application switching lag is too much.

• Like 1

On ios 8 my download speeds were cut in half and the radio was generally unstable. My iCloud restore stopped midway for some reason and the app store would not allow me to be on any page but featured (and wouldn't work). Tethering was broken too (which is a big problem for me).

So as quickly as I could I came crying back to IOS 7.1.1

I still have Yosemite on my Mac but I plan to revert on it too. The application switching lag is too much.

Well...I  hope by the time they launch public beta these issues are gone. 

Well...I hope by the time they launch public beta these issues are gone.

Yeah, for sure!

MacDailyNews: iOS 8 code shows iPad split-screen multitasking, Maps public transit in the works, and more http://macdailynews.com/2014/06/09/ios-8-code-shows-ipad-split-screen-multitasking-maps-public-transit-in-the-works-and-more/

They found iPad Split-Screen multitasking in the iOS 8 beta code. Maybe it'll still make it in the general release this fall.

• Like 2

MacDailyNews: iOS 8 code shows iPad split-screen multitasking, Maps public transit in the works, and more http://macdailynews.com/2014/06/09/ios-8-code-shows-ipad-split-screen-multitasking-maps-public-transit-in-the-works-and-more/

They found iPad Split-Screen multitasking in the iOS 8 beta code. Maybe it'll still make it in the general release this fall.

Looks like there where a few things that they didn't get to put in the WWDC Keynote. One of them being an update to maps...apparently it as delayed.

Split screen will be cool in the iPad. I wouldn't see the need for it on the iPhone 5s.

Looks like there where a few things that they didn't get to put in the WWDC Keynote. One of them being an update to maps...apparently it as delayed.

Split screen will be cool in the iPad. I wouldn't see the need for it on the iPhone 5s.

iPhone screens are too small. There are many limitations compared to having a tablet vs a smartphone. I really hope they do get split screen working in time for the fall. Really awesome things can be done that way.