Sprints 'Happy Connecting' Event

JThorson

Too serious? We were hoping for something better, not a fitness tie up.

Glass half empty, Josh?  Look at it this way.  It could have been far worse.  As some worried, Sprint could have declared Network Vision ready for the world and said, "Happy Connecting."  So, this trivial announcement is, well, trivial.  No big deal.

Now, go fill your half empty glass.  Have a drink.  You will feel better.  The Hotel California has pink champagne on ice.

AJ

• Like 1

I'm still wondering if I was witnessing another event of some sort. I'm certainly am not happy.

TS

Too serious? We were hoping for something better, not a fitness tie up.

Maybe I set my expectations lower than others, but I'm honestly not sure what people were expecting. Someone guessed an announcement of HD voice in the 5th post in this thread. That made the most sense all along. The only other thing they could've really announced was they've made significant process on NV, but their is still work to do. And they did that as well in the press release.

After a complete rip-and-replace overhaul of its 3G network and the deployment of 4G LTE in 471 markets, Sprint has transformed its network to deliver faster data speeds and improved call quality, with a marked decrease in dropped and blocked calls. New market launches, coverage expansions, and technical network advancements will continue in the coming months.

Maybe I set my expectations lower than others, but I'm honestly not sure what people were expecting. Someone guessed an announcement of HD voice in the 5th post in this thread. That made the most sense all along. The only other thing they could've really announced was they've made significant process on NV, but their is still work to do. And they did that as well in the press release.

After a complete rip-and-replace overhaul of its 3G network and the deployment of 4G LTE in 471 markets, Sprint has transformed its network to deliver faster data speeds and improved call quality, with a marked decrease in dropped and blocked calls. New market launches, coverage expansions, and technical network advancements will continue in the coming months.

They are almost insinuating in that quote though that NV Is complete, but then said more launches, etc will be coming...almost confusing...

• Like 1

I guess the big question is....what all were we HOPING to hear from this announcement? Were you expecting something a bit....shall we say...Magenta

How is it that Legere and Tmobile shit all over Net Neutrality with there white listing apps, make it seem like a monumental event that everyone loves, and somehow Sprint's event, announcing a couple of positive things here and there seem unbelievably lame. 

• Like 1

I agree.  We are so far ahead in the news here at S4GRU that we are never really excited or surprised with info by the time Sprint officially announces it.  The only things we get surprised about is trivial stuff, like Under Armor.

Robert

• Like 11

I guess the big question is....what all were we HOPING to hear from this announcement? Were you expecting something a bit....shall we say...Magenta

That's probably what it is.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Oh, go back to staring at yourself in the mirrors on the ceiling.

AJ

International WiFi calling I wonder how that will work! Removing the CDMA network requirement? Yes please!

Despite some blog sites' early reports, access to the CDMA network was never a requirement. Just a GPS signal during initial setup to verify that a user is within a Sprint licensed area.

How is it that Legere and Tmobile shit all over Net Neutrality with there white listing apps, make it seem like a monumental event that everyone loves, and somehow Sprint's event, announcing a couple of positive things here and there seem unbelievably lame. 

Hesse should've worn some skinny jeans, Chuck Taylors and a yellow T-shirt with a big S in the middle of it and maybe flown onto the stage like he was Superman. Then, topped it all off by dropping a few F-bombs and regardless of what was announced, the techno-razzi would've been in a lather.

• Like 9

I agree.  We are so far ahead in the news here at S4GRU that we are never really excited or surprised with info by the time Sprint officially announces it.  The only things we get surprised about is trivial stuff, like Under Armor.

Robert

I'd be more impressed if they got someone like Flavor Flav to commentate the event....hahahaha

flavor-flav-jail-e1338145945850.jpg

• Like 1

After seeing this, I think this event was to say "hey, we are still here and we are working hard to make our network better and offer great service." I think most people would take that as boring and how they don't have anything. I mean, Sprint announced 28 more 4G markets today, that is also good news.

• Like 1

Folks, it seems the biggest sprint panty droppers come with no warning at all from Sprint...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

And it hits you when you least expect it...like an unexpected bad fishy smell....

I'd be more impressed if they got someone like Flavor Flav to commentate the event....hahahaha

No, Lil Jon.  What?!  Yeah!  Okay!

AJ

• Like 1

Permits for 8T8R deployments have been popping up in places outside of that as well.

Speaking of 8T8R, since the frequency is higher, the signal won't travel as far correct? If that is the case, how would they cover the same footprint compared to 1900Mhz? Wouldn't they need more towers?

Speaking of 8T8R, since the frequency is higher, the signal won't travel as far correct? If that is the case, how would they cover the same footprint compared to 1900Mhz? Wouldn't they need more towers?

Depends entirely on site density and topography and etc. 2500 mhz is worse than 1900 mhz but modern technology such as the radio heads sprint is using can help out a lot.

It won't be equal to pcs or aws but it'll be significantly better than the clear implementation and come close to pcs in markets with high cell site density as in less than 1-2 miles between each cell site.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Depends entirely on site density and topography and etc. 2500 mhz is worse than 1900 mhz but modern technology such as the radio heads sprint is using can help out a lot.

It won't be equal to pcs or aws but it'll be significantly better than the clear implementation and come close to pcs in markets with high cell site density as in less than 1-2 miles between each cell site.

Doesn't Beam-forming also have help in pushing the propagation characteristics to be pretty close to 1900Mhz?

Okay thanks. I was just curious because where I live there are a lot of trees and mountains that could effect the signal. I guess I will see when it happens.

Doesn't Beam-forming also have help in pushing the propagation characteristics to be pretty close to 1900Mhz?

No.

Advanced Beam forming mainly helps in edge of cell performance.

Broadcasted frequencies travel forever but the usable signals degrade rapidly.

• Like 1

Speaking of 8T8R, since the frequency is higher, the signal won't travel as far correct?

AJ

• Like 3

No.

Advanced Beam forming mainly helps in edge of cell performance.

Gotcha...

I wouldn't trivialize the Under Armour announcement. It's a dissappointment for many of us techno geeks but Under Armour sells...there is a whole generation, like my son, dressed from head to toe in Under Armour waiting for their first cell phone who will beg for a phone with UA no matter what the features are.

I agree. We are so far ahead in the news here at S4GRU that we are never really excited or surprised with info by the time Sprint officially announces it. The only things we get surprised about is trivial stuff, like Under Armor.

Robert

• Like 2