Nexus 5 or Moto X [or ?]

terryh215

I was thinking of paying my iPhone 5s off and switching phones. Which one should I get, the Nexus 5 or the Moto X? I live in a fringe area so signal strength is important!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if signal is important, Nexus 5 all the way.

Nexus 5 hands down.

Nexus 5

Maybe he wants to get wood.

AJ

• Like 4

The moto x does have some cool software features that you won't find on the nexus 5 but over all the nexus kills the moto x in every single category so nexus 5 all the way.

So, this might not be the thread to ask this, but since I always see in these forums the Nexus 5 talked about as being best for signal, I have to ask. My wifes Nexus 5 always has trouble getting a signal where my gs3 doesn't?

We were camping this weekend, I was roaming fine off of verizon towers, but her N5 was usually showing no connection.

I did all the update profile, cycling airplane mode etc.. and nothing helped. Anyone got an idea?

BTW, I have changed it to, CDMA, 3g, LTE, Global, and it always reverts itself back to global. Is that what it should be on?

So, this might not be the thread to ask this, but since I always see in these forums the Nexus 5 talked about as being best for signal, I have to ask. My wifes Nexus 5 always has trouble getting a signal where my gs3 doesn't?

We were camping this weekend, I was roaming fine off of verizon towers, but her N5 was usually showing no connection.

I did all the update profile, cycling airplane mode etc.. and nothing helped. Anyone got an idea?

BTW, I have changed it to, CDMA, 3g, LTE, Global, and it always reverts itself back to global. Is that what it should be on?

Did you enable roaming?

The N5 is without a doubt superior in terms of pulling a signal, but your not going to gauge this well by comparing it to another phone that is roaming. We have heard a lot from users in fringe areas and those who are well traveled, myself included, that the N5 will hold onto a distant and weak signal when other phones are forced to roam. If roaming is enabled on your N5, could that be what you are observing as well?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Did you enable roaming?

The N5 is without a doubt superior in terms of pulling a signal, but your not going to gauge this well by comparing it to another phone that is roaming. We have heard a lot from users in fringe areas and those who are well traveled, myself included, that the N5 will hold onto a distant and weak signal when other phones are forced to roam. If roaming is enabled on your N5, could that be what you are observing as well?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I guess i am not sure what you are stating.

1.Roaming (voice and data) are checked on her N5 just as it is on my gs3. (should it not be?)

2. the N5 will flop back and forth between roaming/weak signal/no signal at all, in fringe area- all the while the gs3 stays with a decent roaming signal.

3. Even when the N5 shows roaming, calls to her phone won't go through.

4. Roaming network is set to automatic.

5. Network mode, as i stated before, always reverts back to global.

I guess i am not sure what you are stating.

1.Roaming (voice and data) are checked on her N5 just as it is on my gs3. (should it not be?)

2. the N5 will flop back and forth between roaming/weak signal/no signal at all, in fringe area- all the while the gs3 stays with a decent roaming signal.

3. Even when the N5 shows roaming, calls to her phone won't go through.

4. Roaming network is set to automatic.

5. Network mode, as i stated before, always reverts back to global.

Set the cellular signal  to 3G and you may get better signal. When set to LTE or global it keeps cycling in weak signal areas.

I was thinking of paying my iPhone 5s off and switching phones. Which one should I get, the Nexus 5 or the Moto X? I live in a fringe area so signal strength is important!!

before you leave the iphone turn off imessage and run sms without imessage aor you most likely won't get many of your texts to your android device..it takes up to 90 days for apple to release your sms messages.

Thinking of switching from the iPhone 5s, want to switchback to android. Which device should I get HTC One (M7), HTC One (M8), LG G2, Moto X or Nexus 5? I live in a rural/fringe area, so signal is important

Thinking of switching from the iPhone 5s, want to switchback to android. Which device should I get HTC One (M7), HTC One (M8), LG G2, Moto X or Nexus 5? I live in a rural/fringe area, so signal is important

You should limit your selection to just the tri-band devices of the group to get the best experience overall.  If you are in a fringe area you will greatly benefit when Band 26 is rolled out to your area, if it isn't already, so you don't want to miss out on that.

Between the HTC One (M8), LG G2, and Nexus 5 you really couldn't go wrong with any of them.  I really like HTC's Sense and what they have done with their phones, but the camera can be a disappointment in less than favorable circumstances.  The G2 gets raving reviews from many members of this site, but personally I find the UI to be quite unattractive.  If signal is important above all else, then your choice is the Nexus 5 hands down.  It is the current RF performances champ.

• Like 1

I was really thinking about going with the Nexus 5

I have the Nexus 5, and have been overall very happy with it. Very good LTE reception, decent battery life, great looking screen, fast processor... Yeah, it's hard to beat for the price.

I used to have the Note III (and before that, Note II). I don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would.

There are phones out there that do some things better, to be sure, but you'll be paying $700 instead of $350

• Like 1

Of the phones you listed, get the HTC One M7 or Moto X if you need SVLTE, or the M8 if you need expandable storage. Otherwise, go for the N5, especially now that the official release of the Spark update is imminent. I believe it has the best RF characteristics of any smartphone that Sprint currently sells, and you will have minimal bloat and quick updates due to it coming with "stock" Android. If you choose to leave Sprint in the future, you can take your phone with you (without having to hack it to disable the domestic GSM lock), unless you're moving to a provider that specifically blocks it (e.g. VZW). Best of all, it can be had for a relatively great price from the Play Store.

Is the M8 a better phone for RF than its predecessor? That's a big question I have right now.

Yes, but the N5 is still better in that regard.

Yes, but the N5 is still better in that regard.

Those running the new .13 radio may have something to say about that.

Though I still agree it is an excellent phone. Been using it since November, and haven't had a reason to switch to anything else so far.

When it comes to 3g connectivity I don't think you will have much to worry about when it comes to any of those devices.  When it comes to lte though, the nexus 5 is easily the best when it comes to lte connectivity then the lg g2 which isn't too far behind then the m8 not being too far behind the g2.  Other than that though, I think the m8 is easily the most responsive android device on the market right now hands down.  Now that doesn't mean that nexus 5 and the g2 aren't fast because they are but there is just something about sense 6 on the m8 that is just amazingly fluid.  The battery life is also outstanding on the g2 and the m8.  Just so you know I did have an m7 and I currently carry an m8 and nexus 5, and I do have an lg2 on my 4th line that someone else in the family is using, so I have experience with all these devices.

Now of course there are other factors such as pricing and upgrade status.  If you are just going to buy something straight up and not worry about an upgrade you can get an g2 brand new or extremely close to brand new for well under $300 on ebay and of course the nexus 5 you can get for $350 at the playstore with the m8 costing you the most off contract.  If you are going for an upgrade/contract pricing then you can get an g2 for free and probably the nexus 5 close to free and the m8 for maybe $99 to $199 depending on where you go of course.  In my opinion though if price is no issue, I would recommend m8 then the nexus 5 then the g2.  The nexus will give you the most flexibility though being that it is truly an unlocked device that supports just about every frequency on almost every carrier. 

Is the M8 a better phone for RF than its predecessor? That's a big question I have right now.

Yes, the m8 is definitely a huge improvement over the m7.

Honestly Look into the LG g3 coming out soon. If it performs like the nexus 5 RF wise(.15 baseband, may look at the nexus 5 thread about that), I will consider iit myself. Right now I am looking between the upcoming note 4, the g3, or possibly an IPhone myself if they get triband. The HTC m7/m8 just didn't appeal to me, the m7 is more difficult if you plan on running Roms, due to s-off. Samsung is getting to be more and more difficult due to Knox. LG G2 was pretty easy for me after some tinkering. But obviously the nexus 5 will be easiest if you want root, and want to add mods and themes to it. Also One thing I liked was the Spen on the note series.

As an owner of the iPhone 5s, nexus 5, g2, and m8 (yeah, I have too many devices) I can honestly say they all have their pros and cons. It really depends on what you consider important. I would say the g2 has the best battery, and the best camera. The m8 has amazing speakers, pretty good rf performance, and I kind of like HTC sense. It's like stock android but kicked up a little bit. The nexus 5 is the cheapest in price, and has the strongest rf performance. I feel the n5's camera is junk, and not suitable for anything other than social media posts. My g2 was my favorite, but I am constantly having GPS issues with it, even after a replacement unit. Also, the g2, in my opinion, has the worst rf performance of the bunch. I think I prefer my m8 between all my Android phones just because it looks incredible, performs great, has a nice camera, has the loudest, clearest speakers that I've ever experienced on a phone, amazing call quality, and a great in-hand feel. I still consider myself an iPhone guy, and will definitely return when the new one comes out. I just prefer the simplicity, and ease of use in ios. Since I own most of the phones in your list, please feel free to ask me any questions you may have. If I had to rank the androids, it would be as follows: m8, g2, and n5.

Sent from my HTC One M8