2014 WWDC Keynote Updates

sbolen

Agreed. This is definitely something they need to work on big time. and 5gb...Come on. At least offer to the capacity of the phone at 12 gb or whatever the 16gb phone has left over.

The really bizarre thing is that Microsoft, Google, and Amazon - the three competitors in the cloud storage game - are offering tons of free space that put the paltry 5GB you get from Apple to shame. You'd think that Apple would want to up the game a bit and at least get on par with industry peers.

I really hope that OS 10.10 and iOS 8 can play well together. I'd love to airdrop files to myself from either device...

The fact that you can send "up to 5GB" with iCloud Drive leads me to believe that capacity will be changed. Right after I re-upped my $20 for 10GB extra plan. LOL

• Like 1

So they just announced ios 8. I'm watching the live blog on Engadget. Did anyone else notice that the screen shots they used of ios 8 were definitely a different aspect ratio than that found on the 5s?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So they just announced ios 8. I'm watching the live blog on Engadget. Did anyone else notice that the screen shots they used of ios 8 were definitely a different aspect ratio than that found on the 5s?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nevermind. I think it does look kinda bigger...

I enjoyed the phone call to Dr. Dre.

Well, he is a doctor.  He has a Ph.D.  A pimpin' hos degree.

AJ

• Like 2

My take on the keynote. I am overly satisfied with the new UI of OSX Yosemite. I think it looks great and it is a nice change from what I am used too. I absolutely love the new features they are offering, particularly messaging between an iOS device and with a "inferior" device... (ha, still made me laugh). The phone to Mac feature is pretty damn awesome and I'll find myself missing less phone calls when I can't hear my phone ringing. I like the translucency and I love the new safari.

Onto iOS 8. My absolute favorite feature is the quick reply to notifications without leaving my app. I have grown so tired of having to switch apps just to reply "ok." or something else that is so short it often results in me ignoring the message entirely and continuing what I am doing (and then missing the message completely). I am interested in the "health" app and seeing how it plays out. That could go pretty far. I feel that messages had some good updates, like the ability remove yourself from the group messages...sharing locations...etc. I am not sure about adding voice the conversation. Brings up concerns about storage issues. Do they self delete after a period of time? Will they be easy to manage when I do come to wanting to delete them....etc. I am currently approaching  714 mb of "saved messages" which I have no idea how to get rid of easily other than deleting every one of the messages by hand from both my computer, and phone. Quick type is interesting and the multiple keyboards integration will be cool for people who prefer an alternative. I will most likely stick with the apple keyboard. I am also quite happy they are offering 20gb for 99 cents a month now as I run out of iCloud storage way too often.

Everything else is just, good. Nothing absolutely amazing, but everything was good. I am satisfied and look forward to installing both as soon as they come out. My real interest is in what they announce in fall about the next iPhone and other devices relating to that new health app they have. 

• Like 1

If apple implements a heartbeat monitor, I'll die. These health apps have no business being baked into any OS. The S5 took gimicky hardware to a whole new level with the heartbeat thing.

• Like 1

If apple implements a heartbeat monitor, I'll die. These health apps have no business being baked into any OS. The S5 took gimicky hardware to a whole new level with the heartbeat thing.

There is an app for the heart monitor using the iPhone camera and light to detect the blood flow in yah finger. Kinda like what the finger clamps do at hospitals.

I just am curious to see what they're planning. Is apple moving into a health craze? How is my cholesterol going to be managed. Blood tests daily? Lol what. Only thing realistically would be a watch or EarPods that detect pulse. Everything else no idea.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Do any of the devs in here have time to search through the beta SDK and see if Apple finally opened the API's that Sensorly needs for mapping? As well as the API's so we can finally have an Equivalent to Signal Check Pro?

• Like 3

Here's an interesting thing: Resizable iPhone and iPad simulators. It's only just the beginning.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/02/xcode-6-features-resizable-iphone-and-ipad-simulators-leading-the-way-for-iphones-with-new-screen-resolutions/

• Like 2

Can anyone say, WiFi calling? Yes, iOS 8 does have it. I'm posting this since no one else mentioned it. Sprint WiFi calling will potentially be coming this fall to the iPhone.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/02/coming-in-ios-8-wifi-calling-tips-app-facetime-call-waiting-ibooks-preinstalled-much-more/

• Like 2

I'm excited about the third party keyboards.  Swype and SwiftKey were the only two apps I missed from my Android days.Hopefully both make the move over to iOS.

Edit: Swiftkey already announced: http://www.imore.com/swiftkey-keyboard-will-be-coming-ios-8

Lots of behind the scenes improvements, and tighter integration between iOS and Mac OS X especially on the iCloud side.  Looking forward to the fall.