Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Well one thing is for sure. It will be interesting. I just can't imagine what is going to happen if the merger fails and tmobile gets another 2 billion to play with...Then what?? T-mobiles only major problem  right now is coverage outside of major cities. If they fix that and bring LTE and HSPA to edge sites....I don't think Sprint Spark and sprints 800 mhz spectrum won't make much of a difference.

• Like 2

Well one thing is for sure. It will be interesting. I just can't imagine what is going to happen if the merger fails and tmobile gets another 2 billion to play with...Then what?? T-mobiles only major problem right now is coverage outside of major cities. If they fix that and bring LTE and HSPA to edge sites....I don't think Sprint Spark and sprints 800 mhz spectrum won't make much of a difference.

Neither company should back off buildout, especially since NV sites are still useful in TMo's network and vice-versa. This can't be done like AT&T where they stopped TMo's progress COLD for a whole year. That's just bad for having competitive networks. Same goes for Sprint. Even if Neville Ray runs the networks of a combined NewCo, he'll still be able to use the Spark network which is B26 + B41.

• Like 1

Well, if this merger fails Sprint better have an aggressive backup plan. Tmo can do a lot of things with 2 billion dollars.

In fact sprint should accelerate NV more. As a precaution.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think I can use the words "reverse merger" now. That's what this is.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/report-sprint-brand-may-go-away-after-t-mobile-merger/2014-06-13

It's no different than when SBC bought AT&T and took their name, or when Arby's bought Wendy's and took their name. It's what you do when you have a good name.

• Like 1

Well, if this merger fails Sprint better have an aggressive backup plan. Tmo can do a lot of things with 2 billion dollars.

In fact sprint should accelerate NV more. As a precaution.

I don't think Sprint will ever accelerate NV. They seem to be convinced that their plodding past is good enough, even though it seems to be squandering the one true advantage they have, a large quantities of sprectum they can use for Lte.

I don't think Sprint will ever accelerate NV. They seem to be convinced that their plodding past is good enough, even though it seems to be squandering the one true advantage they have, a large quantities of sprectum they can use for Lte.

Maybe they are controlling the things they can control. I feel sprint is doing all they can do. They just need to light fire under Ericsson.

• Like 1

Well one thing is for sure. It will be interesting. I just can't imagine what is going to happen if the merger fails and tmobile gets another 2 billion to play with...Then what?? T-mobiles only major problem right now is coverage outside of major cities. If they fix that and bring LTE and HSPA to edge sites....I don't think Sprint Spark and sprints 800 mhz spectrum won't make much of a difference.

I think you mean devastating not interesting. If tmo gets another 2b dollars for free then we may get to 3 players anyway as sprint folds.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Maybe they are controlling the things they can control. I feel sprint is doing all they can do. They just need to light fire under Ericsson.

Yes they do. A large bonfire!!!

• Like 2

If the breakup fee is argued to disproportionately enhance tmo and harm sprint in a disapproval scenario, then it too - just like the negative press on sprints network, negative cash flow projections and horrible public perception - all play favor to convincing the fcc and doj that approval is the only healthy future for sprint

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My question is if the merger is approved what kind of growing pains would we experience while Softbank is integrating the two networks?

I don't think I can stick around and experience anymore network growing pains.

My question is if the merger is approved what kind of growing pains would we experience while Softbank is integrating the two networks?

None theoretically. Sprint has to finish nv 1.0. A pending merger isnt justification to leave individual sites in dysfunction. I wouldnt hang around expecting expansion or more coverage than you currently get though...

The two networks will have to be operated in parallel for a little while until they are fully integrated. Both LTE networks will be available to the other network, provided that you have a newer phone. I would think that newer Sprint phones will be allowed to use WCDMA for voice going forward. WCDMA + LTE will be added to all 2g T-Mobile sites + all non-colocated Sprint sites. I am of two mind about band 26 LTE. I would rather they implement WCDMA on band26 so that all subscribers (T-Mobile + Sprint) benefit from better voice coverage.

• Like 1

Nothing major. Everything might be same but SoftBank may decide to build out TMUS aws on sprint existing sites.

As far as the integration of the network for this merger, I don't see it being as bad as Sprint and Nextel.

None theoretically. Sprint has to finish nv 1.0. A pending merger isnt justification to leave individual sites in dysfunction. I wouldnt hang around expecting expansion or more coverage than you currently get though...

The two networks will have to be operated in parallel for a little while until they are fully integrated. Both LTE networks will be available to the other network, provided that you have a newer phone. I would think that newer Sprint phones will be allowed to use WCDMA for voice going forward. WCDMA + LTE will be added to all 2g T-Mobile sites + all non-colocated Sprint sites. I am of two mind about band 26 LTE. I would rather they implement WCDMA on band26 so that all subscribers (T-Mobile + Sprint) benefit from better voice coverage.

Nothing major. Everything might be same but SoftBank may decide to build out TMUS aws on sprint existing sites.

As far as the integration of the network for this merger, I don't see it being as bad as Sprint and Nextel.

Well its good to know that everything should work out smoothly. Now my last fear is that Softbank isn't going to compete aggressively after the merger but align their pricing close to what the big two have going on. That would suck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I would rather they implement WCDMA on band26 so that all subscribers (T-Mobile + Sprint) benefit from better voice coverage.

W-CDMA requires a pair of 5 MHz channels. If Sprint had that to spare, they would do a 10x10 LTE carrier on band 26 instead of the present 5x5, which would be the better choice going forward especially for VoLTE. LTE has a higher spectral efficiency, and a wider carrier would have better edge-of-cell characteristics.

• Like 1

Well its good to know that everything should work out smoothly. Now my last fear is that Softbank isn't going to compete aggressively after the merger but align their pricing close to what the big two have going on. That would suck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think that's everyone's fear but Masa Son is no fool but everyone needs to realize that the whole process will take years and nothing will change immediately overnight.

I'm interested to see what spectrum they divest? Personally I think having 600, 700, and 800 is redundant. They should divest EBS, tmobile 700, and Tmobile PCS holdings.

Again this is My opinion

I am of two mind about band 26 LTE. I would rather they implement WCDMA on band26 so that all subscribers (T-Mobile + Sprint) benefit from better voice coverage.

I'd wager against that happening. Sprint is already lighting up LTE on Band 26. W-CDMA would be a step backwards. If the goal is to have all customers benefit from voice coverage on that spectrum then I believe a better option would be to accelerate VoLTE.

• Like 3

I wager against that happening. Sprint is already lighting up LTE on Band 26. W-CDMA would be a step backwards. If the goal is to have all customers benefit from voice coverage on that spectrum then I believe a better option would be to accelerate VoLTE.

That's why I said I am of two minds...

I would think that if the DoJ and FCC actually were to sign off on such a deal that one of their major stipulations would be coverage expansion. Especially expansion in those areas that I believe Legere once referred to as "dust bowl states".

I think that's everyone's fear but Masa Son is no fool but everyone needs to realize that the whole process will take years and nothing will change immediately overnight.

I'm interested to see what spectrum they divest? Personally I think having 600, 700, and 800 is redundant. They should divest EBS, tmobile 700, and Tmobile PCS holdings.

Again this is My opinion

They wil not get rid of PCS if they can help it. They will get rid of EBS definitely. 700Mhz I am not so sure given Sprint's intention to roam on 700Mhz rural partners.

If the spectrum screen is on total spectrum, then divesting some/all of EBS should satisfy it. If the spectrum is by band, then they might have to get rid of some of PCS. I hope not.

Edited by bigsnake49