Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 15 January 2011

I figured I would see LTE before WiMax too. She may have just seen the 4G icon as it was trying to connect and thought it was connected...

Everytime I see those ping numbers comparing providers I laugh. They always show Sprint worse than I experience and AT&T better than I experience.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Do you know of anyone that has been throttled? I am still curious to see if sprint is actually throttling people above 5gb this month or if they raised the limit after much consumer complaint.

I would expect the top 5 percent throttling to take a month to kick in following the initiation date earlier this month.

AJ

• Like 1

“T-Mobile is loved by regulators. Before, Legere was just half a maverick. After, he will be twice as crazy with double the asset base to work with.”

I read that quote and had a good chuckle. [Via]

Well 12GB (no idea how I got that high, and no throttle). I did try to load some web pages today, and it tookva few tries to get it to load.

• Like 1

Well 12GB (no idea how I got that high, and no throttle). I did try to load some web pages today, and it tookva few tries to get it to load.

That's been happening to me on both wifi and cellular data on and off the past few days here in California.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

That's been happening to me on both wifi and cellular data on and off the past few days here in California.

Yeah my WiFi has been severely slow ping wise. 400+ms ping, jumping to sub 30ms ping and back high. Either my nexus Is acting up or networks are being funky

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-06-10/don-t-let-sprint-buy-t-mobile

In which Susan Crawford laments a duopoly yet doesn't want a true challenger to that duopoly.

Here is the other side of it.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-06-10/let-sprint-buy-t-mobile

Wouldn't a combined company be able to leverage cheaper equipment from vendors? Especially if they expand?

Wouldn't a combined company be able to leverage cheaper equipment from vendors? Especially if they expand?

Yes, they would be able to purchase cheaper equipment.

There are actually some intelligent comments on that article. I was surprised by how many were in favor of the merger. 

• Like 4

There are actually some intelligent comments on that article. I was surprised by how many were in favor of the merger.

Yes a lot more intelligent than most articles posted regarding the words Sprint in it.
  • Like 2

Sprint's free cash flow is affected by the massive capex outlay...

The 7 billion in capex Sprint has spent the last two years is about the same AT&T and Verizon spent for each of the last five years. This is the main arguement in favor of the merger vzw and AT&T can spend that much and still generate all the free cash flow of the industry.

The 7 billion in capex Sprint has spent the last two years is about the same AT&T and Verizon spent for each of the last five years. This is the main arguement in favor of the merger vzw and AT&T can spend that much and still generate all the free cash flow of the industry.

Yep, I have been in support of the merger forever, although the two companies could have undertaken a joint venture to deploy LTE.

• Like 1

http://www.pcmag.com/fastest-mobile-networks

Accurate or flawed, sprint just cant catch a break. 2014 is just not shaping up to be sprints year, at least not with the media.

This helps frame a flawed argument that "sprint needs tmobile".

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Since testing is done over a period of months or a year with most of these performance type stories, it will not be good for Sprint.  So even if things are much better right now, we are going to hear about how they were last quarter or last year.  Tmo was in a better position last year and will come off better in these analyses.

The best Sprint can do at this point for 2014 is starting to get good press by the end of the year and maybe relegate AT&T to last place.  AT&T is degrading at the moment and Sprint is improving.  That should be their next goal when this all happens again in 3-4 months.

Robert

• Like 7

The best Sprint can do at this point for 2014 is starting to get good press by the end of the year and maybe relegate AT&T to last place.  AT&T is degrading at the moment and Sprint is improving.  That should be their next goal when this all happens again in 3-4 months.

Robert

Already been happening in Manhattan over the past three months. Sprint's median data rates have surpassed AT&T's. http://explorer.netindex.com/maps

It should only get better once TDD LTE grid gets denser on the island, and TDD capacity layer should absolutely shine in this kind of environment.

5Ul2IfM.png

• Like 9

Since testing is done over a period of months or a year with most of these performance type stories, it will not be good for Sprint.

Robert

Well, actually the article says the tests were conducted from May 1st to May 23rd, which is a tight enough window for a test of this scale. Edited by CaptainSlow
  • Like 2

Well, actually the article says the tests were conducted from May 1st to May 23rd, which is a tight enough window for a test of this scale.

I wasn't addressing this specific test.  I was addressing JeffDTD's point that this is going to be a problem for Sprint throughout 2014.  It will be a common theme, however, probably starting to get better than AT&T in many markets.  And it looks like that is starting to happen as Milan pointed out above.

Robert

• Like 3

Ugh. I really hope this merger goes through and Masa knows what he is doing. Could 2 billion be enough for tmobile to complete their plan to expand HSPA and LTE to edge sites by the end of 2015? If so, Sprint is about to become number 4.

For some reason that video does not work on safari for me. Heres this http://seekingalpha.com/news/1799763-cnbc-sprint-t-mobile-agree-on-2b-breakup-fee-name

• Like 1

I don't want the name to be T-Mobile. That's counter-intuitive to Masa's goal.

• Like 2