Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Hey.... I have a serious question....

Is this your true identity?

IBM-supercomputer-Watson-010.jpg

I think, that you think, that I think, that you think, that I already know that answer. :ninja:

Heh, no. I know lots of stuff, but I'm no super-machine.

We will see how sticky they are once Sprint has their network in order and actually want to do a serious promotion. If they don't want to do that, maybe they don't want those bandwidth hogs back?

You can't assume that everyone who leaves are bandwidth hogs. You make a great deal of assumptions without data to back it up. I get that this is a Sprint-focused site, but we have to be realistic here. The current trajectory is not good, and even putting its network back together may not be enough.

• Like 1

I don't count M2M because of the negligible revenue.

I suppose, if you define billions of dollars as "negligible revenue".

http://www.business.att.com/content/whitepaper/M2M-ControlCenter-White_Paper_Frost_and_Sullivan.pdf

http://m2m.sprint.com/media/105077/hrsprintm2mw3-16-12_final.pdf

This is true I know 9 people that have left sprint that use 1gb or less a month. When you can't even load a web page and you are promised better network performance and years later is it not finished but your bill doesn't stop what do you think people will do? They will switch and the problem is if they end up on a network that they like they will not want to switch back to sprint because it is a hassle to switch carriers and because they don't trust Sprint anymore regardless of if they fix the network. It will be up to people like us to show them how much sprint improved to bring them back. If they can ever finish there network in time.

• Like 5

Wow really? A white paper with wildly optimistic assumptions. Who would have thunk? Let talk, in 2011, the total revenue was $1B for all providers. So even if we assume that it is split equally among providers Sprint's take was $250M. Not exactly a big revenue driver.

Heh, no. I know lots of stuff, but I'm no super-machine.

You can't assume that everyone who leaves are bandwidth hogs. You make a great deal of assumptions without data to back it up. I get that this is a Sprint-focused site, but we have to be realistic here. The current trajectory is not good, and even putting its network back together may not be enough.

No I am sure that a lot of them left because the network is not up to par. 

No I am sure that a lot of them left because the network is not up to par. 

I would've probably left and went to deathstar or verizon or worse, magenta....had I not found this website. My brothers boss switched from sprint because he was tired of waiting for the upgrades. Now he says he drops calls on verizon when he gets to his house, which is utterly hilarious because I haven't dropped a call in months. 

• Like 3

I would've probably left and went to deathstar or verizon or worse, magenta....had I not found this website. My brothers boss switched from sprint because he was tired of waiting for the upgrades. Now he says he drops calls on verizon when he gets to his house, which is utterly hilarious because I haven't dropped a call in months. 

I only have a single business line on Sprint anymore. I have 4 personal lines on AT&T. The only reason i have a Sprint line is that I get voice roaming on Verizon and that has come in handy sometimes. If and when Sprint gets their network together and also can accommodate voice and data at the same time, then I will consider moving those lines back. 

I think that there a lot more brewing behind the scenes than we know of. Part of it is some kind of collaboration with Dish. It's not that Dan is not a visionary. It is that Legere is perceived as a more aggressive competitor and a more aggressive doer. In order to sell this merger to the feds Son will have to show that he will compete with the other two. 

Let me repeat myself. In order to sell this merger, Sprint/Softbank should be willing to divest spectrum to Dish (a spectrum swap of EBS for 2000-2020MHz+PCS-H will also be palatable), hosting of Dish's spectrum, promise of aggressive deployment of rural deployment of SMR/700MHz, promise of deployment of fixed broadband on EBS by Dish/Sprint and a perceived competitive CEO will go a long way to sell this merger.

No argument here. Its just that it sounded as if Dan was getting beat up on. I just don't think he deserves that.

I went to both and I have sprint now I don't have to complain. From what I see sprint actually has really good coverage 3g wise but not up there with other carriers in speed. Hspa* I get 8-24mbps down and LTE is 15-30 down and 9-15 up in daylight. Sprint is rarely above 7 mbps in my location in daylight. I don't notice doing normal things though but I do notice when I go down to 3g where as I don't notice going down to hspa*. Point is having access to other networks have really shown me how far behind Sprint is behind the competition in areas where Spark(band 41,26) is not present.

I went to both and I have sprint now I don't have to complain. From what I see sprint actually has really good coverage 3g wise but not up there with other carriers in speed. Hspa* I get 8-24mbps down and LTE is 15-30 down and 9-15 up in daylight. Sprint is rarely above 7 mbps in my location in daylight. I don't notice doing normal things though but I do notice when I go down to 3g where as I don't notice going down to hspa*. Point is having access to other networks have really shown me how far behind Sprint is behind the competition in areas where Spark(band 41,26) is not present.

7 down is about what they advertise. You're aware of the limitations of 5x5 and that it can't go as fast. That's exactly what you're seeing there. The limitations of what they have to work with.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

I only have a single business line on Sprint anymore. I have 4 personal lines on AT&T. The only reason i have a Sprint line is that I get voice roaming on Verizon and that has come in handy sometimes. If and when Sprint gets their network together and also can accommodate voice and data at the same time, then I will consider moving those lines back.

The six month delay in NV 1.0 and the fact that they kind of have to fudge to make it so they don't miss the new target hurt sprint bad.

I am aware and also a point. Sprint doesn't have the spectrum to compete without band 26 and 41. In non spark areas with a large subscriber base Sprint is not a good as the others. They don't seem to be rolling out fast enough. Although they have made tremendous progress.

7 down is about what they advertise. You're aware of the limitations of 5x5 and that it can't go as fast. That's exactly what you're seeing there. The limitations of what they have to work with.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Glint of Hope at FCC for Sprint, T-Mobile Deal

A Democratic FCC commissioner has acknowledged Sprint and T-Mobile may not be viable as independent companies.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304908304579562350690457822

Maybe not as they're being run today.

Paying the executives stupid money is a sign they aren't run well at all. That is the just at the surface.

Two wrongs don't make a right... they say, not sure who they are though.

Edited by JoeJoeJoe

• 2 weeks later...

I guess Comcast could always ramp up to make an offer for T-Mobile instead:

http://news.investors.com/technology/052214-701857-comcast-seen-as-potential-bidder-tmobile.htm

I don't like the idea at all because Comcast is already becoming "too big to fail".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by MkVsTheWorld
  • Like 1

I guess Comcast could always ramp up to make an offer for T-Mobile instead:

http://news.investors.com/technology/052214-701857-comcast-seen-as-potential-bidder-tmobile.htm

I don't like the idea at all because Comcast is already becoming "too big to fail".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hopefully Comcast fails sooner than later.

Sent from my Josh's iPad using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Hopefully Comcast fails sooner than later.

Sent from my Josh's iPad using Tapatalk 2

It would be fun to watch that happen, even more fun if they take T-Mobile down with them.

Comcast also wont fail. Between owning NBC and their monopoly on cable, there will always be revenue and/or assets to sell if funds were low.

If Son is going to take an official swing at TMo, I think we will receive an announcement any day now given the ATT/Direct announcement

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

More details from Reuters: DT is willing to remain a minority stake owner.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/29/us-softbank-tmobile-idUSKBN0E917A20140529

I think it will happen any moment now. BTW, the FCC and DOJ objections are not about the merger's impact on consumers. It is all about the impact of the merger on the net proceeds from the AWS-3 and 600MHz auctions. But in order for them to sell it to the public, there will have to be some concessions, spectrum swaps, etc.