T-Mobile providing nextivity Signal boosters to keep indoor customers satisfied

dkyeager

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/t-mobile-providing-nextivity-signal-boosters-keep-indoor-customers-satisfie/2014-05-26

more details here:

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/05/cel-fi-t-mobile-signal-boosters-now-available-to-buy-from-nextivity-again/

There are situations were Wi-Fi is not practical, such as many rural areas that lack broadband and other areas where Wi-Fi is banned or tightly controlled.  T-mobile obviously wants to protect its investment in new customers.  This is also a tacit admission that many of their coverage holes will continue.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/t-mobile-providing-nextivity-signal-boosters-keep-indoor-customers-satisfie/2014-05-26

more details here:

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/05/cel-fi-t-mobile-signal-boosters-now-available-to-buy-from-nextivity-again/

There are situations were Wi-Fi is not practical, such as many rural areas that lack broadband and other areas where Wi-Fi is banned or tightly controlled.  T-mobile obviously wants to protect its investment in new customers.  This is also a tacit admission that many of their coverage holes will continue.

It still Wont help the large areas of edge only. They need more than Adding LTE to edge sites. They will need more sites. These can only provide so much to help those customers. It is another added expense for them.

Low band spectrum helps too. It's worth noting Sprint still leads TMUS in that department. That said, there won't be true competitiveness with the duopoly unless Sprint and TMo join forces.

An FAQ list for T-Mobile employees cited a situation in which a new T-Mobile customer took advantage of the operator's early termination fee credit, trading in more than one AT&T Mobility AT&T (NYSE: T) phone at a T-Mobile store. The customer subsequently complained that their residential coverage was worse with T-Mobile, but T-Mobile no longer had the customers' AT&T handsets and, thus, could not return them to the customer.

This is very interesting.  Again, I think it is important we watch T-Mobile churn.  How many are lured from AT&T only to be unsatisfied with the coverage.

• Like 8

This is very interesting.  Again, I think it is important we watch T-Mobile churn.  How many are lured from AT&T only to be unsatisfied with the coverage.

I never had T-mobile but I know of a lot of people that come to the Rochester, NY area to different colleges and they are people who come from the big cities and complain about how awful the coverage is even in Buffalo and Syracuse but Rochester is better out of the three.  The two friends I still talk to weekly say its gotten better with LTE (that launched late last year).  I've personally had the 3 major and for this area I list them best to not so great S, A, then V (again this is for where I live and yes BIG V doesn't work well at my place, your lucky if you get one bar of service and I live in a city).  At&t I had them when 3G was the big thing and the major issue I had with them was not the coverage it was constant dropped calls!  

Anyways back to the T-mobile subject I personally would rather see Sprint take over T-mobile and keep the spectrum Sprint could use on the PCS side for example from what they got from Metro PCS and give the GSM to At&t.

An FAQ list for T-Mobile employees cited a situation in which a new T-Mobile customer took advantage of the operator's early termination fee credit, trading in more than one AT&T Mobility AT&T (NYSE: T) phone at a T-Mobile store. The customer subsequently complained that their residential coverage was worse with T-Mobile, but T-Mobile no longer had the customers' AT&T handsets and, thus, could not return them to the customer.

The same thing happened to my friend who I tried to get to jump over to Sprint on my Framily plan, but it was not due to coverage (it was a porting issure).  His IPhone was traded in and gone.  I guess it kind of encourages people to stay, but satisfied customers do not feel trapped and they give personal referrals.     

Edited by Calvin200

So what do new tmo customers who arent satisfied with coverage and have traded in for the etf promo do? Leave with prorated billing for their services and carry their gsm devices, with payment plans for the full retail of the new devices, back to att? And forego compensation for the traded device? Prob not. They prob stick around as tmo customers for awhile. Thats bloody

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So what do new tmo customers who arent satisfied with coverage and have traded in for the etf promo do? Leave with prorated billing for their services and carry their gsm devices, with payment plans for the full retail of the new devices, back to att? And forego compensation for the traded device? Prob not. They prob stick around as tmo customers for awhile. Thats bloody

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

well they no longer have an ETF of $350 - months used. They are stuck paying a phone off.

At least Sprint gives consumers a choice between the old model and the new one. I prefer the up front payment model but I can understand why some would prefer to sign a 2 year contract.

• Like 2

Low band spectrum helps too. It's worth noting Sprint still leads TMUS in that department. That said, there won't be true competitiveness with the duopoly unless Sprint and TMo join forces.

IMHO, I don't thinkS and TMUS joining up will do anything for better coverage anywhere.

They are and will cater to the most customers, coverage is something neither one cares about when most of the customers are in the cities.

Do not fall for the sales talk.

Edited by JoeJoeJoe

IMHO, I don't thinkS and TMUS joining up will do anything for better coverage anywhere.

They are and will cater to the most customers, coverage is something neither one cares about when most of the customers are in the cities.

Do not fall for the sales talk.

The reason why coverage doesn't exist is because the cost to provide coverage would not reflect the income coming from those areas. They need more populous base to get more money to offset those cost.
  • Like 1

The reason why coverage doesn't exist is because the cost to provide coverage would not reflect the income coming from those areas. They need more populous base to get more money to offset those cost.

but then the reason people are hesitant to move to these companies is lack of coverage. That's why Sprint's CCA plan is a great step.
  • Like 1

but then the reason people are hesitant to move to these companies is lack of coverage. That's why Sprint's CCA plan is a great step.

That is a huge reason. Reliability and consistency in rural and urban areas. It is a huge difference going from LTE/Wcdma to edge just by getting near the edge of town. Tmobiles is lacking on coverage which will hurt them.

The CCA plan sounds good on paper, and it will help in some regions.  But do not get any grand illusions.  The total CCA footprint is still less than that of VZW.  Plus, many CCA members are already in bed with VZW via the LTE in Rural America program. So, they are off the table for Sprint.

In the end, the Twin Bells have duopolized the truly national urban/rural wireless buildout.  That ship has sailed, and Sprint will probably have to make do with something less.

AJ

• Like 2

The CCA plan sounds good on paper, and it will help in some regions. But do not get any grand illusions. The total CCA footprint is still less than that of VZW. Plus, many CCA members are already in bed with VZW via the LTE in Rural America program. So, they are off the table for Sprint.

In the end, the Twin Bells have duopolized the truly national urban/rural wireless buildout. That ship has sailed, and Sprint will probably have to make do with something less.

AJ

and that's what really concerned me about the CCA plan. What really stops big red from just gobbling them up. IIRC Son mentioned something about doing an organic build of the network where there was only one roaming provider-which im assuming he was referring to vzw-so if that is true that could definitely help where a CCA partnership isn't feasible.

and that's what really concerned me about the CCA plan. What really stops big red from just gobbling them up. IIRC Son mentioned something about doing an organic build of the network where there was only one roaming provider-which im assuming he was referring to vzw-so if that is true that could definitely help where a CCA partnership isn't feasible.

Sprint is not likely to do much additional organic buildout for its existing 50 million sub base.  It has long since reached the point of diminishing returns.  Rather, an organic buildout probably requires the economy of scale added by a T-Mobile acquisition.  And that looks to be a tough sell.

AJ

Sprint is not likely to do much additional organic buildout for its existing 50 million sub base. It has long since reached the point of diminishing returns. Rather, an organic buildout probably requires the economy of scale added by a T-Mobile acquisition. And that looks to be a tough sell.

AJ

they have to do something though. What are the chances the $8 billion in capex this year and next would go towards b41 expansion as well as additional sites with all three bands

Edit: sorry for getting off topic

Sprint is not likely to do much additional organic buildout for its existing 50 million sub base.  It has long since reached the point of diminishing returns.  Rather, an organic buildout probably requires the economy of scale added by a T-Mobile acquisition.  And that looks to be a tough sell.

AJ

Maybe they can use that argument to sell the merger. As in we will organically cover 97% (for example) of the population if you let us merge. Yes the added expense of covering rural expanses can only be justified if it is spread out over both companies.

• Like 1

Maybe they can use that argument to sell the merger. As in we will organically cover 97% (for example) of the population if you let us merge. Yes the added expense of covering rural expanses can only be justified if it is spread out over both companies.

This is why I feel there is a chance that Sprint and T-Mobile are going to do a joint venture.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

This is why I feel there is a chance that Sprint and T-Mobile are going to do a joint venture.

Uh, yeah, here is John Legere's idea of a "joint venture"...

med-MJ-joint-smoked.jpg

AJ

There has to be some sort of long term plan in place to deal with rural coverage. I would not want any rural buildout until the cities are fixed, however. That said, I sense that with lower band spectrum finally freed up, there's much better economics in rural areas than there once was.

I just want people within Sprint who say "let's find a way" rather than "oh, the duopoly beat us to it when we were bogged down with the Nextel mess, so that opportunity is lost."

• Like 2

I just want people within Sprint who say "let's find a way" rather than "oh, the duopoly beat us to it when we were bogged down with the Nextel mess, so that opportunity is lost."

What Sprint did or did not do a decade ago may not have mattered.  I do not necessarily buy this, but some say an industry that has large barriers to entry and requires massive investment in infrastructure can support at most two effective competitors.  The Twin Bells may have been and will continue to be preordained.

AJ