AT&T Launching VoLTE

Paynefanbro

AT&T took the plunge. Let's see how far they can go with it and how it compares to the HD Voice offerings of Sprint and T-Mobile.

[url="http://www.androidcentral.com/att-switches-hd-voice-small-test-markets-small-phone

We have known about this for a while now...... Also, AT&T is OK in my opinion but I had dropped calls, and call that would not connect all the time with them back when 3G was the big thing.  I tried them recently with the 4G LTE and its "BETTER" but they still have a LOT of work to do, just like Sprint (Just saying!).

We have known about this for a while now...... Also, AT&T is OK in my opinion but I had dropped calls, and call that would not connect all the time with them back when 3G was the big thing.  I tried them recently with the 4G LTE and its "BETTER" but they still have a LOT of work to do, just like Sprint (Just saying!).

We knew they were going to do it, but this is just confirmation from AT&T that they have started and where they are starting it.

AT&T needs to do some refarming for LTE. So VoLTE makes sense for them. Let them work out the bugs.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I just wanna state, that hold music sounds like crap ALL THE TIME. This article is clearly biased and uninformed.

/Sarcasm.

But it will be nice to test out the VoLTE. I know that TMO has some lag when connecting calls, and I've experienced the same on AT&T. So it would be nice to see if they can fix that.

Looks like Verizon will be joining them. http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2014/05/verizon-wireless-volte-national-rollout-plans.html

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Interesting tidbit from that page:

"For a customer to make or receive a VoLTE call, both parties must have VoLTE-enabled devices and be in an area where VoLTE is available."

"For a customer to make or receive a VoLTE call, both parties must have VoLTE-enabled devices and be in an area where VoLTE is available."

What happens when calling land lines?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It kind of sounds like Verizon is making a type of their own Skype/Google hangouts. Doesn't really seem like what I thought VoLTE would be.

In this case, VZW may be using "VoLTE" to refer not to the transport mechanism but instead to the higher fidelity codec.  In other words, a call to a non VoLTE handset or landline would be transcoded and lose any fidelity gain.  It would still be VoLTE on one end, but to the technologically challenged average user, it would not sound like a "VoLTE" call.

AJ

• Like 1

In this case, VZW may be using "VoLTE" to refer not to the transport mechanism but instead to the higher fidelity codec.  In other words, a call to a non VoLTE handset or landline would be transcoded and lose any fidelity gain.  It would still be VoLTE on one end, but to the technologically challenged average user, it would not sound like a "VoLTE" call.

AJ

That was my thought process as well. They must think the consumer would find the distinction too confusing.

That was my thought process as well. They must think the consumer would find the distinction too confusing.

It would or still will be confusing for many consumers.  Billy Ray will get a new VoLTE enabled VZW handset and wonder why in the dickens he can video call with Jim Bob but not with Buddy Lee -- not understanding that Jim Bob does but Buddy Lee does not have a VoLTE enabled handset.  A lot of users are going to think that this is just a network upgrade and that any handset with a front facing camera will cut it.

Another point to keep in mind is that VoLTE on VZW benefits users only with potentially higher quality calls -- with or without video.  They already have simultaneous voice and data, since VZW has steadfastly stuck with a dual RF path SVLTE paradigm.  So, most of the VoLTE advantages flow to VZW itself, since VZW may then start to offer single RF path, 3GPP only handsets.  I actually hope that VZW gets a little too far over its skis on this one and really pushes single RF path, 3GPP only handsets.  Rural VoLTE coverage is going to stink like shit, and it would be fun to see VZW take a hit to its supposedly bulletproof network reputation.

AJ

• Like 2

The article says VoLTE will support handoffs to HSPA+ and Edge. Is there also a way for handoffs to 1x?

eCSFB(r9) / CSFB(r8).

Tmobile and ATT uses CSFB rel 8.

• Like 1

Isn't that just for data handoff?

Circuit Switched FallBack (CSFB) is a technology whereby voice and SMS services are delivered to LTE devices through the use of GSM or another circuit-switched network.

Circuit Switched FallBack is needed because LTE is a packet-based all-IP network that cannot support circuit-switched calls. When an LTE device is used to make or receive a voice call or SMS, the device "falls back" to the 3G or 2G network to complete the call or to deliver the SMS text message.

CSFB was specified in 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Release 8. CSFB requires a software upgrade of the operators core and radio network. CSFB is often seen as an interim solution for LTE operators. Voice over LTE (VoLTE) is considered to be the long-term goal for the delivery of voice services on LTE networks.

The article says VoLTE will support handoffs to HSPA+ and Edge. Is there also a way for handoffs to 1x?

That is called SRVCC, which stands for Single Radio Voice Call Continuity.  It is a 3GPP thing.  And while it probably could be harmonized with CDMA1X, I doubt that it will.

AJ

• Like 1

That is called SRVCC, which stands for Single Radio Voice Call Continuity.  It is a 3GPP thing.  And while it probably could be harmonized with CDMA1X, I doubt that it will.

AJ

Actually eSRVCC and SRVCC is compatible CDMA 1x on the equipment deployed by all 4 vendors. 

• Like 3